Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players everyone rates but you dont 14:58 - Nov 9 with 14027 viewspaulparker

talking to a west ham fan at work and we have spent the last 4 hours chewing the fat , well arguing basically about the great players, pretty much everyone he said was brilliant , ive said was sh1te

Ian rush - never got it , terrible for wales, Juventus, leeds , Newcastle

Eden Hazard - never seen him really be a world beater in any game , goes missing especially in the big games

Alan Hansen- the biggest myth that he was Britain's best defender ,

Alexis Sanchez - I don't think he is worth 2 million let alone 53 million

jack Wilshire- I keep hearing he is the man we are missing in our midfield for England and that he was a world beater in a game against Barcelona about 6 years ago , I just see a bloke with a broken leg who smokes a lot

oh and cantona as well , retired before 30 and never done it in Europe or in a tournament

anyone else got players who everyone loves and raves about but you cannot see it ?

anyone else

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Players everyone rates but you dont on 09:24 - Nov 10 with 3125 viewsMick_S

Players everyone rates but you dont on 18:23 - Nov 9 by Hayesender

My dog has never played for Real Madrid or Man Utd

So his chairman wasn't Spaniel Levy?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Players everyone rates but you dont on 09:27 - Nov 10 with 3114 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Players everyone rates but you dont on 11:09 - Nov 10 with 3022 viewsenfieldargh

Some of the so-called great defenders pre the pass back to the goalie law was changed.

Hansen Lawrenson a lot of the time is was played back to Grobellar .

Having said that I wish Lynch was allowed to pass it back to the keeper to pick it up instead of the usual calamity that often ensues

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Players everyone rates but you dont on 11:17 - Nov 10 with 3012 viewsbob566

Players everyone rates but you dont on 11:09 - Nov 10 by enfieldargh

Some of the so-called great defenders pre the pass back to the goalie law was changed.

Hansen Lawrenson a lot of the time is was played back to Grobellar .

Having said that I wish Lynch was allowed to pass it back to the keeper to pick it up instead of the usual calamity that often ensues

mark lawrenson was a fantastic passer of a football.
Players everyone rates but you dont on 11:57 - Nov 10 with 2964 viewsTacticalR

Platini was pretty scathing about Cantona: 'He is a big man in small games and a small man in big games'.

Portrait of the artist as an old man
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/portrait-of-the-artist-as-an-old-man-1269048.

Air hostess clique

Players everyone rates but you dont on 12:09 - Nov 10 with 2946 viewsMrSheen

Players everyone rates but you dont on 11:57 - Nov 10 by TacticalR

Platini was pretty scathing about Cantona: 'He is a big man in small games and a small man in big games'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/portrait-of-the-artist-as-an-old-man-1269048.

The less said about long games...
Players everyone rates but you dont on 13:36 - Nov 10 with 2883 viewsHayesender

Players everyone rates but you dont on 11:57 - Nov 10 by TacticalR

Bit like Lukaku. Scores plenty against a Bournemouth or West Brom. Always goes missing against the top teams

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Players everyone rates but you dont on 13:37 - Nov 10 with 2881 viewsheadhoops

Karim Benzema.
Jordan Henderson

and by far the worst
Angel di Maria

at £60 million more like diarrhoea.
Naturally he scored his first and one of only 3 goals against us.

Completely agree re Shilton in the World Cup - I was baying for Beasant to be subbed on with a minute to go.

Memo to Southgate: Take Smithies to the World Cup just in case you get very, very lucky and make a penalty shoot out.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Login to get fewer ads

Players everyone rates but you dont on 14:15 - Nov 10 with 2830 viewsLunarJetman

Players everyone rates but you dont on 20:11 - Nov 9 by Lblock

I disagree

You’ll never piss on my 1990 year
Everything , and I mean everything, was brilliant that year

He couldn't have done much about the 1st one but the 2nd and 3rd he seemed in slow motion and got wrong footed for the 4th...

Pearce's was weak and Waddle's was a shocker though...
[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 14:16]
Players everyone rates but you dont on 14:20 - Nov 10 with 2819 viewsLunarJetman

Plus the famous "Pheasant from the flames" speech....

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/01/21/fantastic-guardian-anecdote-former-england-
Players everyone rates but you dont on 16:53 - Nov 10 with 2742 viewstraininvain

Fat Frank Lampard. 90% of his goals were deflections or penalties.
Players everyone rates but you dont on 17:19 - Nov 10 with 2727 viewsPinnerPaul

Players everyone rates but you dont on 18:13 - Nov 9 by TGRRRSSS

Scoring a few goals in a bang average side managed by someone who increasingly seems a number 2 not a number 1.

Give Abraham a couple of seasons before writing him off surely?

Abrahams - Give him a few seasons before putting him in England squad surely?
Players everyone rates but you dont on 17:38 - Nov 10 with 2700 viewsShotKneesHoop

Players everyone rates but you dont on 09:27 - Nov 10 by Mick_S

He has to be the worst ever, the defenders version of R'SWiPe.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Players everyone rates but you dont on 18:20 - Nov 10 with 2672 viewssexton

Stevie G. Ran around like a headless chicken blasting hollywood passes into touch. Decent shot.
Players everyone rates but you dont on 18:27 - Nov 10 with 2667 viewsAntti_Heinola

Players everyone rates but you dont on 13:36 - Nov 10 by Hayesender

Bit like Lukaku. Scores plenty against a Bournemouth or West Brom. Always goes missing against the top teams

I think most strikers tend to score less goals against better teams, but you're right, his record against top 4 teams is not great. Still only 24 though and his goalscoring record, whoever he scores against, is phenomenal.

Platini was better than Cantona no doubt. But then Cantona isn't a corrupt, faded, washed up former FIFA official who shafted the game, is he? In fact, Cantona being president of UEFA or FIFA is a bloody good idea, even if he'd never do it.

I never quite understand the concept of 'overrated'. Overrated by who? United fans have a huge opinion of Cantona - but whether or not he 'did it' for them in Europe or for France is irrelevant in the prism through which they view him: the man who was the key to their breakthrough title win, the an who inspired their team and in particular the class of 92 and the man who was just a wonderful matchwinner, a sublime, arrogant, wonderful talent. As good as Messi? No, but whoever said he was? You know, Stan was amazing for us and we might say - look what he did in Europe for us. But others might say - he never did it for England and he never took us to a championship like Cantona did. Not saying that's right, but I could understand the argument.

You could also argue that Cantona was at United when they were weakened in Europe because of the three foreigner rule, so he was never likely to be as devastating against those teams as he was domestically.

Probably every player on this thread is a great player in a particular context. Shilton was over the hill in 1990, but before that, he was an outstanding goalie, anyone who doesn't acknowledge that never saw him play. Clough could see it and he won two European Cups with Shilton.

Barnes was phenomenal for Liverpool, but England never worked out how to use him. Is that Barnes's fault? England's? Both? Probably a bit of both. But he was an absolutely brilliant player.

Lineker? If it's so easy scoring goals by 'standing on the six yard box' as one poster said (tongue in cheek I'm sure) why don't more players try it? Lineker was an absolute genius. A wonderful football brain and a deadly finisher - and few skills are as tough as that.

Lampard? Never my favourite and in a way he's the archetypal English player of the last 20 years - solid, technically sound but not flamboyant or creative, steady but not brilliant. One paced. A bludgeon, not a rapier. Still, a serial winner of trophies and 20 goals a season from midfield. A very good player - but apart from jingoistic pundits or his mates, whoever said any different?

I think Beckham is the one you could really argue on because people do genuinely say he was world class. I don't agree he would have been nothing if he wasn't attractive - he was breaking into the United first team before anyone had heard of him and before he was with Posh. Souness says 'world class' means you could play your position for the best clubs in the world. Beckham did it at Man Utd and Real Madrid - and to great effect. And c aptained a country that was generally in the top 10 teams in the world in his heyday. So, yes, he was 'world class' by that definition.

Bare bones.

Players everyone rates but you dont on 19:50 - Nov 10 with 2617 viewsToast_R

Lineker was the dogs bollocks mate. If ever there was an example of a player who would score in those big games other strikers get accused of not turning up in, it's him. Two pens agains Cameroon in a quarter final, the equaliser against West Germany in the semi, a goolden boot in Mexico 86, he's still the best striker England ever had.
Players everyone rates but you dont on 20:58 - Nov 10 with 2570 viewsJigsore

so many people crow about Carrick been underrated that he's got to the point of becoming fully overrated

Carrick was not the answer to the Gerrard-Lampard Conumdrum. it's a myth.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Players everyone rates but you dont on 21:40 - Nov 10 with 2539 viewsMrSheen

Players everyone rates but you dont on 19:50 - Nov 10 by Toast_R

Lineker was the dogs bollocks mate. If ever there was an example of a player who would score in those big games other strikers get accused of not turning up in, it's him. Two pens agains Cameroon in a quarter final, the equaliser against West Germany in the semi, a goolden boot in Mexico 86, he's still the best striker England ever had.

Likewise, Michael Owen bailed us out of umpteen grim qualifiers in Eastern Europe with a late side-foot inside the post. Ugly but effective. Like a lot of strikers, Cristiano Ronaldo being a brilliant exception, the first half of his career was much more effective than the second, as a result of the damage his body took. If people were prepared to keep paying him in the hope that he would reverse the impact of time, more fool them.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 21:42]
Players everyone rates but you dont on 00:46 - Nov 12 with 2329 viewsCiderwithRsie

OK, easy target in these parts, but John Terry: leaving aside the fact of playing for Satan's Spawn FC and being a complete bellend, I really thought that for England he was a reversion to the "good old fashioned centre half" after we had moved on in the shape of Des Walker, our own Paul Parker, and (the now almost forgotten, but actually decent) Mark Wright, Martin Keown and (tin hat on) Rio Ferdinand.

Yes, I'm well aware that They won a load of titles under his captaincy and that he had some of the qualities that I admire in, say, Alan McDonald (apart for the one of Not Being A Complete Bellend Every Day Of Your Bleeding Life) but I still think he was a retrograde step for England. I wouldn't mind if people had said "yeah, well, we haven't got anyone better and he does what it says on the tin" (like a glorified Baptiste,) it was the insistence that he had to be the bedrock of the team that got me.
Players everyone rates but you dont on 14:23 - Nov 12 with 2175 viewsSonofNorfolt

Got to agree with Gavin Peacock, one decent game then five AWOL.

Disagree with Ian Rush, superb forward. when he was at Juve he had hepatitis.
Wayne Rooney, fantastic passer of the ball.
Steven Gerrard, just the equaliser in the FA Cup final alone is better than anything Lampard achieved.
Players everyone rates but you dont on 14:46 - Nov 12 with 2149 viewswood_hoop

Kevin Keegan without a doubt in my mind.

Any one that revels in a perm looking like Ena Sharples was the hairdresser deserves being struck off the list forthwith.

Once got barred from a boozer cos I dared to declare KK didn't walk on water and was a cock, might have had a bit to do with the owner being a member of the greatest fanbase in the world (so he kept telling us), Geordies, love for them to end up playing in some minor Sunday pub league, its where Keegan should have been playing.
Players everyone rates but you dont on 15:50 - Nov 12 with 2115 viewsAntti_Heinola

Players everyone rates but you dont on 14:46 - Nov 12 by wood_hoop

Kevin Keegan without a doubt in my mind.

Any one that revels in a perm looking like Ena Sharples was the hairdresser deserves being struck off the list forthwith.

Once got barred from a boozer cos I dared to declare KK didn't walk on water and was a cock, might have had a bit to do with the owner being a member of the greatest fanbase in the world (so he kept telling us), Geordies, love for them to end up playing in some minor Sunday pub league, its where Keegan should have been playing.

And yet he was European player of the year while playing for that huge European behemoth Hamburg.
He sure fooled a lot of people.

Bare bones.

Players everyone rates but you dont on 19:16 - Nov 12 with 2017 viewswood_hoop

Players everyone rates but you dont on 15:50 - Nov 12 by Antti_Heinola

And yet he was European player of the year while playing for that huge European behemoth Hamburg.
He sure fooled a lot of people.

One can only think not much competion for a couple of years, the title of the OP reflects perfectly my viewpoint, but then having seeing live many of the 'greats' since the middle sixties I have little experience in how to judge a players talent
Players everyone rates but you dont on 20:12 - Nov 12 with 1982 viewsJogo

Joe Hart. Dogsh1te keeper
Players everyone rates but you dont on 20:51 - Nov 12 with 1958 viewsPeterHucker

another vote for Cantona.
I always prefer to pronounce his name with a "u"

on the subject of both Ian Rush and the backpass rule though, every time we played Liverpool when Rush was there I'd notice how he hassled and harried the defenders never allowing them any time on the ball. These days everyone talks about the "high press" and "defending from the front" but Rush / Liverpool did that back then. I don't remember seeing any other strikers doing that as effectively as Rush used to do it.
Don't think he was necessarily a truly great striker, I think anyone half decent who'd played centre forward for Liverpool at that time would've got a hatful of goals.
But I always had a grudging admiration for his work rate.
Didn't stop me joining in with everybody singing about how he's got a f***ing big nose of course.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024