Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc 09:24 - Nov 13 with 3177 viewsToast_R

What’s all that about then?
As a child you were told to meet the ball square on the forehead but as anyone who played football knows, that’s not as easy as it looked when it’s flying at you. A remember meeting a few goal kicks and the pins and needle sensation you’d get in your hands and the ball impacted you on the head, not nice. Doing that for a living, is it any wonder some retired players are suffering from brain related illness later in life?

You’d like to think that with the new technology in footballs that their not as heavy was the players of the 60s and 70s played with so it may not be so bad for modern footballers when they get older, only time will tell I guess. It's still got to be a concern none the less, it’s a awful way to end up for the individual and their families but football will be changed forever if heading came out of the game, so what can be the answer?

Stopping kids heading the ball until they're at least 14 may help but can you imagine the game in 10 to 15 years time when that basic skill has been eradicated?
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 10:03 - Nov 13 with 3130 viewsrrrspricey

This is by no means a new notion to the FA and is yet another example of their ineptitude.

Jeff (of Geoff?) Astle’s inquest findings were that the cause of death was due to him repeatedly heading the ball. Before that the FA were made aware of the possible link between the two following the death of Danny Blanchflower and a subsequent article in a medical journal. The FAs respose? They refuted any such link existed.

Obviously only substantial research will reveal whether the link is a real one but there’s little point in looking at older cases as the circumstances were wildly different in previous decades. Virtually no one headed a ball when I was a kid because it fooking hurt, even more so when it was wet and the water had soaked into the leather!

Even if there is a link, as Toast said, todays footballers may not have the issues suffered by players on the 60s and 70s so even with comprehensive research it’s unlikely we’ll be any closer to knowing the dangers of heading the ball in today’s game for a number of years.
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 11:22 - Nov 13 with 3020 viewsblacky200

It may not be that a rule is put in place about heading a ball (after all boxers don't have a rule about punching in the head) but perhaps footballers also go through the same checks as boxers do on a regular basis. Surely it is common sense that if you are heading a ball (even with correct technique) that there is going to be damage to a brain. I know when I played I would do anything to not have to head the ball.
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 14:39 - Nov 13 with 2843 viewsBoston

Absolutely no problem heading a ball all game long....I was born stupid.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 15:14 - Nov 13 with 2803 viewsdaveB

I thought it was pretty shocking that the PFA have no idea how many of their members have dementia, they should at the very least be looking into if there is a connection, what kind of balls they used etc.

The QPR bit was good though where they use sponge balls to work on technique
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 21:15 - Nov 13 with 2583 viewsNoDiddley

Have they compared it to boxing?
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 21:25 - Nov 13 with 2578 viewsdaveB

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 21:15 - Nov 13 by NoDiddley

Have they compared it to boxing?

Yes Boxing was also mentioned as well as Rugby, the big problem seemed to be not just heading the ball but the number of times you do it in training over a long career from the age of 6
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 22:18 - Nov 13 with 2526 viewsOldPedro

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 21:25 - Nov 13 by daveB

Yes Boxing was also mentioned as well as Rugby, the big problem seemed to be not just heading the ball but the number of times you do it in training over a long career from the age of 6

Haven't watched the programme yet - did they say anything about head collisions between players trying to head the ball and ending up heading each other?

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 23:08 - Nov 13 with 2477 viewsA40Bosh

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 22:18 - Nov 13 by OldPedro

Haven't watched the programme yet - did they say anything about head collisions between players trying to head the ball and ending up heading each other?

Yes and getting elbowed in the head whilst jumping and also crash landings. However all connected to heading the ball etc

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Login to get fewer ads

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 23:24 - Nov 13 with 2453 viewsBoston

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 21:25 - Nov 13 by daveB

What about thinking...can't tell you how often my brain hurts?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 01:16 - Nov 14 with 2405 viewstimcocking

If you asked 10,000 proffesional footballers would they play if they realised that heading the ball could be harmful, you'd have 10,000 players answering yes of course i'll play. Let's ban driving, eating fast food, television. Fcuk it, let's just bring the Taliban in and ban everything.

Of course, there will be some connection though, i won't dispute that.
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 07:20 - Nov 14 with 2345 viewsdaveB

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 01:16 - Nov 14 by timcocking

If you asked 10,000 proffesional footballers would they play if they realised that heading the ball could be harmful, you'd have 10,000 players answering yes of course i'll play. Let's ban driving, eating fast food, television. Fcuk it, let's just bring the Taliban in and ban everything.

Of course, there will be some connection though, i won't dispute that.

The call wasn't really to ban heading completely, the doctors wanted more research done so they can know one way or the other but lack the funding to do it and FIFA and the FA haven't been a lot of help.

When they show you the impact of heading a ball and you think how many thousand of times players must head a ball in training from the age of 6 to 36 it has to have an impact and we must be able to find ways to make it a bit safer. A lot of ex footballers are getting dementia so it's well worth looking into if there is a real connection.

The idea of using a softer ball for kids under 11 to practice their technique in training seems an obvious thing to do
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 08:38 - Nov 14 with 2290 viewsBrianMcCarthy

There seems to be far less heading in the game now anyway, for tactical so coincidental reasons. Goalkicks are taken short, goalies throw out restarts in open play, far fewer long balls come from the back. Even in amateur or semi-pro you rarely get the spells of head tennis that used to blight the game in Britain or Ireland.

Watching Italy's last few frantic moments last night saw a rare bit of long ball and head tennis (and why is it, by the way, that when a team desperately needs a goal - even one that plays possession football - they will go 442 and long ball? If that was the best way to get a goal, why haven't they been doing it all game?).

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 08:54 - Nov 14 with 2272 viewsdaveB

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 08:38 - Nov 14 by BrianMcCarthy

There seems to be far less heading in the game now anyway, for tactical so coincidental reasons. Goalkicks are taken short, goalies throw out restarts in open play, far fewer long balls come from the back. Even in amateur or semi-pro you rarely get the spells of head tennis that used to blight the game in Britain or Ireland.

Watching Italy's last few frantic moments last night saw a rare bit of long ball and head tennis (and why is it, by the way, that when a team desperately needs a goal - even one that plays possession football - they will go 442 and long ball? If that was the best way to get a goal, why haven't they been doing it all game?).

John terry spoke about heading in the doc and said 15years ago it was all about distance and how far away you could head it but now it's used more as a pass
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 09:00 - Nov 14 with 2251 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 08:54 - Nov 14 by daveB

John terry spoke about heading in the doc and said 15years ago it was all about distance and how far away you could head it but now it's used more as a pass

And of the thickest heads in the game!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 09:53 - Nov 14 with 2202 viewsstowmarketrange

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 08:54 - Nov 14 by daveB

Maybe the FA should check whether heading the ball too much turns players into racist bellend thugs?
I’m glad I chose the lazy option now and stayed between the sticks because the arthritis in my joints is soooo much better.
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 09:54 - Nov 14 with 2197 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Notwithstanding Terry's Antichrist status, interesting to hear how he felt he headed the ball far fewer times in a game now, than at the start of his career, and hardly ever in training.
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 09:57 - Nov 14 with 2194 viewsdaveB

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 09:53 - Nov 14 by stowmarketrange

Maybe the FA should check whether heading the ball too much turns players into racist bellend thugs?
I’m glad I chose the lazy option now and stayed between the sticks because the arthritis in my joints is soooo much better.

That's next weeks episode
Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 11:15 - Nov 14 with 2143 viewsdanehoop

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 09:54 - Nov 14 by WrightUp5hit___

Notwithstanding Terry's Antichrist status, interesting to hear how he felt he headed the ball far fewer times in a game now, than at the start of his career, and hardly ever in training.

I suspect the fact he was playing less in his final few years at Chelshit may be part of a factor why he feels he heads it less now.

His apparently perfectly choreographed injury problems restricting his ability to train and play for managers who he didn't like and then his being sidelined by other managers who didn't rate him may support this.

Never knowingly understood

Alan Shearer’s Heading the ball Doc on 19:52 - Nov 18 with 1770 viewspaulparker

Someone better get Chris samba a check up as he must have headed about 2000 balls today

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024