Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ireland Danmark match thread 11:37 - Nov 14 with 8343 viewsBlackCrowe

GÃ¥ Danskerne!

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ireland Danmark match thread on 10:28 - Nov 15 with 1253 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ireland Danmark match thread on 00:48 - Nov 15 by johncharles

Surprised at the slagging that Martin O’Niel’s getting. He got it wrong but he got them this far so give him a break. Remember that this was a one off match 1-0 or 5-0 makes no difference, winner takes all. The more goals Denmark scored the more chances Ireland had to take. As often happens in these situations the guys chasing the game sacrifice the defence to try for goals.......
and get slaughtered. That’s football.

Last night really was a shambles, though. He played a midfielder, McClean up front from the start with Murphy (should have been Long) when McClean had never played there before for club or country and when we hadn't played two up front in years. He brought Meyler in from almost nowhere and made him captain and once again we played long ball with no sign of ball retention. As a result we were under constant pressure for the first twenty.

After our very fortunate goal we played nice football for the next five minutes and created a couple of half-chances. Then we concede two shocking goals - the players say that O' Neill doesn't work on set-pieces or defending but I still would say the first goal was human error. the second was a mixture of Ward's mistake and Arter letting Eriksen run on his own.

Half-time and 2-1 down. Which is when it got crazy. Midfield is where the game is controlled and won. I was no fan of Jack Charlton's football but the major thing I learned from him is that if you're losing your first priority is to control midfield and to gain possession. He would often take a striker off for a midfielder. It usually worked. O' Neill took off our two main ball-winners and put on an a No. 10 and the laziest most ill-disciplined player in our squad. Result? Denmark steamed through the middle time and time again.

Poor Ward - a decent pro but limited at this level, and having his worst night in the Ireland shirt - was then moved to centre-back as Clark was taken off. Utterly bizzare. Result? Ward gives away another goal.

By the end I didn't know where our players were supposed to be playing, and I suspect neither did they.

I suspect some of them froze. And obviously O' Neill can't do anything about individual errors. But he had a terrible night at work himself last night and that has to be analysed. O' Neill sets the tone as manager and the tone emanating from his players these last two years has been fear and insecurity. Meyler's pre-match interview contained worrying phrases like "players like us can't be expected to in much". That fear comes out in our football. No-one wants the ball. With the exception of Hoolahan, and my God he's paid the price for such cheek.

Most people I know disagreed with the tone of the post-match tunnel interview last night. It was antagonistic. And cheap. Even the TV panel disowned it. There's a time and a place for trials and inquisitions, and it's too soon for that. O' Neill and his players try their hardest, no-one can dispute that. But constructive criticism and honest attempts at analysis should be on the table today.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ireland Danmark match thread on 10:54 - Nov 15 with 1207 viewsDaiHo0p

Anti football loses
Ireland Danmark match thread on 10:59 - Nov 15 with 1202 viewsrobith

imo O'Neill made knee jerk changes at half time he felt would appease the media, and totally lost all sense of shape (when the team was already looking jerky on confidence) and gave Eriksen an armchair ride. I mean he's a great player, but one his first and second he had time to stop and phone the keeper to tell him which way he was shooting
Ireland Danmark match thread on 11:02 - Nov 15 with 1198 viewsNorthernr

I really like O'Neill but he seems to have made a pig's ear of last night.
Ireland Danmark match thread on 11:10 - Nov 15 with 1185 viewsPhildo

Ireland Danmark match thread on 10:59 - Nov 15 by robith

imo O'Neill made knee jerk changes at half time he felt would appease the media, and totally lost all sense of shape (when the team was already looking jerky on confidence) and gave Eriksen an armchair ride. I mean he's a great player, but one his first and second he had time to stop and phone the keeper to tell him which way he was shooting

Even when going 1 up they looked all over the place though - I think the occasion got to them. Easy in retrospect but would have expected MON to shut up shop for the first 60 minutes.

Hoolahan, whilst a nice player, is one of those whose legend grows the less he plays?
Ireland Danmark match thread on 13:26 - Nov 15 with 1105 viewsYorkRanger

Ireland Danmark match thread on 10:28 - Nov 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Last night really was a shambles, though. He played a midfielder, McClean up front from the start with Murphy (should have been Long) when McClean had never played there before for club or country and when we hadn't played two up front in years. He brought Meyler in from almost nowhere and made him captain and once again we played long ball with no sign of ball retention. As a result we were under constant pressure for the first twenty.

After our very fortunate goal we played nice football for the next five minutes and created a couple of half-chances. Then we concede two shocking goals - the players say that O' Neill doesn't work on set-pieces or defending but I still would say the first goal was human error. the second was a mixture of Ward's mistake and Arter letting Eriksen run on his own.

Half-time and 2-1 down. Which is when it got crazy. Midfield is where the game is controlled and won. I was no fan of Jack Charlton's football but the major thing I learned from him is that if you're losing your first priority is to control midfield and to gain possession. He would often take a striker off for a midfielder. It usually worked. O' Neill took off our two main ball-winners and put on an a No. 10 and the laziest most ill-disciplined player in our squad. Result? Denmark steamed through the middle time and time again.

Poor Ward - a decent pro but limited at this level, and having his worst night in the Ireland shirt - was then moved to centre-back as Clark was taken off. Utterly bizzare. Result? Ward gives away another goal.

By the end I didn't know where our players were supposed to be playing, and I suspect neither did they.

I suspect some of them froze. And obviously O' Neill can't do anything about individual errors. But he had a terrible night at work himself last night and that has to be analysed. O' Neill sets the tone as manager and the tone emanating from his players these last two years has been fear and insecurity. Meyler's pre-match interview contained worrying phrases like "players like us can't be expected to in much". That fear comes out in our football. No-one wants the ball. With the exception of Hoolahan, and my God he's paid the price for such cheek.

Most people I know disagreed with the tone of the post-match tunnel interview last night. It was antagonistic. And cheap. Even the TV panel disowned it. There's a time and a place for trials and inquisitions, and it's too soon for that. O' Neill and his players try their hardest, no-one can dispute that. But constructive criticism and honest attempts at analysis should be on the table today.

Very good summary Brian. From where I was sitting it looked like O'Neill made a real Horlicks of the tactics last night. Particularly second half when the team completely lost its shape. Ericson played well, but to be honest I would have fancied myself to have a good game in the centre of the park last night given the amount of space he had. I think the half time subs were too cavalier and certainly I would have got Long on to see if the pace threatened Denmark, given they were dealing fairly comfortably with the aerial stuff (putting the goal to one side).

I've never really rated Stephen Ward, but the second goal last night was a criminal act for a defender. Suspect he could be one of a few that has played his last game for Ireland,,
Ireland Danmark match thread on 15:55 - Nov 15 with 1006 viewsGroveR

Arra come on lads, we've the best fans so when FIFA create a qualifying spot in the finals for "country most likely to bring a bit of craic to the world cup" we'll be grand.
Ireland Danmark match thread on 16:26 - Nov 15 with 990 viewsMonahoop

Ireland Danmark match thread on 15:55 - Nov 15 by GroveR

Arra come on lads, we've the best fans so when FIFA create a qualifying spot in the finals for "country most likely to bring a bit of craic to the world cup" we'll be grand.

And fans that thankfully won't be a part or associate with the hooligan fest which will no doubt unfold in Russia in the summer. All eyes will be on English, German, Russian, Polish, Serbian and Croatian mobs showing the world how not to follow football.

Re Brian's last post. Agree with all that. When McGeedy came on I walked out the room in despair.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Login to get fewer ads

Ireland Danmark match thread on 16:53 - Nov 15 with 962 viewsrobith

Ireland Danmark match thread on 16:26 - Nov 15 by Monahoop

And fans that thankfully won't be a part or associate with the hooligan fest which will no doubt unfold in Russia in the summer. All eyes will be on English, German, Russian, Polish, Serbian and Croatian mobs showing the world how not to follow football.

Re Brian's last post. Agree with all that. When McGeedy came on I walked out the room in despair.

Can't believe that McGeady has almost 100 caps, yet I didn't manage single one.

He's one of the biggest wastes of space to ever walk the earth
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024