Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR hold title-chasing Villa - History 17:34 - Nov 15 with 1501 viewsNorthernr

QPR hold title-chasing Villa - History 15th Nov 2017 17:33
Ahead of the visit of Aston Villa to Loftus Road on Saturday, we’re looking back to 1990 for the memorable match when Villa were pushing for the title and QPR were assembling a tidy side under Don Howe. 0

QPR hold title-chasing Villa - History on 19:01 - Nov 15 with 1437 viewsBoston

I have three vivid recollections of Aston Villa.
A/ The Season. After beating league champions Derby 5 - 1 at their place on opening day, we welcomed newly promoted Villa to Loftus Rd the following Tuesday evening. Game was a rather boring 1 - 1. I was a trifle deflated to say the least.
B/ The numbers we brought up for a cup game one Wednesday evening, me and Vic (yes him), spray painting the bogs.
C/ Another effing evening fixture, Tuesday, Villa Park. Thirty or forty of us traveling on our own steam were enjoying a few beers beforehand when we noticed we'd garnered the attention of some of their affecienados. An attempt to ambush us as we walked to the ground was thwarted by good old fashioned methods, unfortunately I was recognized after the match and in a very ungentlemanly manner left in circumstances that required a hospital visit.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 19:04]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

QPR hold title-chasing Villa - History on 10:15 - Nov 16 with 1266 viewsterryb

Villa Park, May 1968.

Simply my best day following Queens Park Rangers! Wembley 1967 may have beaten it, but I hadn't been converted to the Rangers cause by then.

Forget the play off final, Hillsborough 2004 etc, when Keith Bradley stroked the superb pass from Frank Clarke into his own net we were in the top division! (Rodney would have scored if Bradley had missed the ball)

We all know what happened the following season, but on that day the world was perfect!

In a year of student revolt, the Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia (I still revere Alexander Dubcek) this single day was redemption for the year!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following is an extract from my "memoirs" -

On Friday the 10th May I received my first medal/plaque in adult football (only runners up though) and this was followed the next day with a trip to Aston Villa. I'm sure you all know the significance of that game!

There were four of us who ventured forth from Chesham. My brother Dave was driving, Rob (our cousin), Terry Norman (Texas Ranger on QPR Report) & myself being the quartet. Terry had been travelling to the Bush for many a year, although I don't know if his support was due to following family or a desire to be different at school.

We reached Brum in plenty of time and stopped for fish and chips, where we asked for directions to the ground. These were given with the final words being you are now at Birmingham City's ground! Undeterred we found our way to the suburb of Aston and on to the Holte End, which was swimming with Rangers fans. I can't imagine we have ever taken more to a league game with over 50% of the crowd being nervous visitors.

Anyhow, we were awful! Losing 1-0 and very much second best to a bad Villa side, we looked f*****! Half way through the second half we somehow gained a corner & Mick Leach rose high to guide the ball over the line. Or was it? At the time I didn't realise this was in dispute. Did it cross the line? Of course it did! It wouldn't have been allowed at Bolton or Blackburn though!

A point was not enough, but near the end, Frank Clarke escaped down the right and played a lovely pass towards Rodney who was eyeing up which part of the net he was going to hit. Suddenly a defender appeared from nowhere and dispatched the ball superbly. Thank you Keith Bradley! The greatest own goal ever! That was that. Rangers had made the first division!

It was normal in those days that supporters would be allowed to celebrate on the pitch at the end of the game, as City did at Newcastle that day. Not at Villa though. The ranks of Birmingham's finest in front of the Holte end drew batons and repeatedly used them to keep us off the pitch. However, they didn't stop Rangers fans in the other three ends making their way on to celebrate!

It was now back to the car and drive to the ground to follow the team coach home. We were not alone, many had the same idea! The coach pulled up at an off licence to purchase further supplies and Birmingham came to a standstill as the convoy would not move until the coach resumed it's journey! When the M1 was reached (no M6 to connect it then) all hell broke loose. This was a journey of sheer joy as cars weaved in and out of each other and around the coach. This was our Bobby Zamora moment!

What a day!
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 10:33]
QPR hold title-chasing Villa - History on 11:35 - Nov 16 with 1227 viewspaulparker

was at the 1-1 game , Platt scored a beauty probably one of the best ive seen by an oppo player at HQ
I love that

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

QPR hold title-chasing Villa - History on 11:38 - Nov 16 with 1224 viewspaulparker

was at the 1-1 game , Platt scored a beauty probably one of the best ive seen by an oppo player at HQ
I love that QPR side of 1990 it was one of the most underrated teams it never gets much love compared to the 92 & 93 sides , also we should and could of won the FA cup that year
I was also there for Sintons debut against villa when he scored a last minute winner
and there for the 85 game when it all went off in the upper school end

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

QPR hold title-chasing Villa - History on 13:35 - Nov 16 with 1136 viewsNorthernr

Two childhood memories against Villa for me were 1994 we hadn't won for ages, the Rodney Marsh and Gerry Francis stuff was about to kick off, we had Villa home on Saturday then Liverpool at home on Sky on the Monday. Took the lead against Villa early when Paul McGrath let a ball bounce in behind him and Dichio nipped between him and Bosnich for his first senior goal. Then we're clinging on the entire second half until deep in injury time when Penrice nicks the ball past Bosnich on the halfway line then had to waddle half the length of the pitch to catch it with half the Villa team chasing it and stuck it into the empty net. Big noise. Beat Liverpool as well, then Gerry resigned.

Following year, relegation season, Jurgen Sommer produced an absolutely extraordinary goalkeeping display and we won 1-0 with a Gallen goal. Remember my dad let me stay up all the way to the end of MOTD (a rare treat) to see it and we were literally the last match in the last 15 seconds of the programme and all they showed was the cross (already in flight) coming in and Gallen heading in, a clip of about 7 seconds. Fuming.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024