Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Thread 19:48 - Nov 15 with 44797 viewsBlackCrowe

If we survive the 1st test, i think we might just sneak it. If we lose it, it'll probably be carnage.

Going to days 1-3 of Sydney. Anyone else there?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Thread on 11:17 - Nov 16 with 3040 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes Thread on 07:56 - Nov 16 by kingsburyR

Is Ali fit?

Fu(ked without him batting down the order.

Playing in the warm-up game ("tour match") today, batting below Woakes at 8 (so not in yet.) Bowled 16 overs (39-0, 4 maidens; economy 2.43 compared to 4.04 fro Crane off more overs) yesterday. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: should have said "played" rather than playing, play having closed due to time difference obviously.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 11:18]
Ashes Thread on 11:39 - Nov 16 with 3024 viewsCiderwithRsie

FWIW I think it could be close, probably as Hunter says, individual matches may be one-sided but series close. Both sides fallible with bat but equally capable of running up big scores if they get going - Vince is sort of typical, looks beautiful when he is stroking it to the boundary and then gets out like an idiot.If he gets in - and I think Aussie pitches will suit him better than previous outings - he could score big, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they have him for toast either.

Stokes is world class so obviously a big loss but not as much as some people make out because we have two other all-rounders in Woakes - who is actually our fastest bowler and a better bowler than Stokes IMO - and Ali, not to mention Bairstow as a WK-batsman all-rounder with Foakes as cover. What we'll miss most from Stokes will be the X factor, aggression and dressing presence IMO. (If we ever get all those guys consistently firing and in the same team we could be world beaters

I also think Aussie fans and press - maybe not the actually teams or coaches, I don't know - consistently under-rate our bowlers due to the pace issue, and so do our fans. Before the last Aussie tour of England I was looking at Starc et al wiht trepidation and thinking they had the edge on us. When Stuart Broad was winning the Ashes in a single bowling spell at Trent Bridge that looked a bit silly, especially with Jimmy A having done the damage in the previous test. Pace isn't everything; the Aussies will of course be dangerous on their own pitches, but Anderson, Broad and Tremlett consistently out-bowled the Aussies in 10-11 with accuracy, bounce and swing even though Johnson was by a distance the quickest bowler. (If we had Stokes or even a fit Mark Wood I reckon our attack would be better now than in 10-11, as it is I'd say it's about even in the pace dept though some way off in spin.) Getting swing, especially reverse, is going to be a massive factor for England - I can see it contributing to one-sided matches depending on whether or not England can find it - and the pink kookaburra is going to be a wild card in that.

Another factor is that in the 5-0's the team crumbled badly when things went wrong, especially last time out. A lot will depend on Root and this is where I think we'll miss Stokes, but I do think that this squad doesn't have the cliquiness of the last tour and also that Root is probably more assertive than Cook. I have to say it is a big "unknown" though, what with Root being so new to the job. Could be a real make-or-break for him as captain, if he brings this off I reckon he and the team could go on to great things.
Ashes Thread on 13:23 - Nov 16 with 2973 viewsHunterhoop

Ashes Thread on 11:39 - Nov 16 by CiderwithRsie

FWIW I think it could be close, probably as Hunter says, individual matches may be one-sided but series close. Both sides fallible with bat but equally capable of running up big scores if they get going - Vince is sort of typical, looks beautiful when he is stroking it to the boundary and then gets out like an idiot.If he gets in - and I think Aussie pitches will suit him better than previous outings - he could score big, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they have him for toast either.

Stokes is world class so obviously a big loss but not as much as some people make out because we have two other all-rounders in Woakes - who is actually our fastest bowler and a better bowler than Stokes IMO - and Ali, not to mention Bairstow as a WK-batsman all-rounder with Foakes as cover. What we'll miss most from Stokes will be the X factor, aggression and dressing presence IMO. (If we ever get all those guys consistently firing and in the same team we could be world beaters

I also think Aussie fans and press - maybe not the actually teams or coaches, I don't know - consistently under-rate our bowlers due to the pace issue, and so do our fans. Before the last Aussie tour of England I was looking at Starc et al wiht trepidation and thinking they had the edge on us. When Stuart Broad was winning the Ashes in a single bowling spell at Trent Bridge that looked a bit silly, especially with Jimmy A having done the damage in the previous test. Pace isn't everything; the Aussies will of course be dangerous on their own pitches, but Anderson, Broad and Tremlett consistently out-bowled the Aussies in 10-11 with accuracy, bounce and swing even though Johnson was by a distance the quickest bowler. (If we had Stokes or even a fit Mark Wood I reckon our attack would be better now than in 10-11, as it is I'd say it's about even in the pace dept though some way off in spin.) Getting swing, especially reverse, is going to be a massive factor for England - I can see it contributing to one-sided matches depending on whether or not England can find it - and the pink kookaburra is going to be a wild card in that.

Another factor is that in the 5-0's the team crumbled badly when things went wrong, especially last time out. A lot will depend on Root and this is where I think we'll miss Stokes, but I do think that this squad doesn't have the cliquiness of the last tour and also that Root is probably more assertive than Cook. I have to say it is a big "unknown" though, what with Root being so new to the job. Could be a real make-or-break for him as captain, if he brings this off I reckon he and the team could go on to great things.

Good post. Agree.

Woakes will be huge in this series. He needs to step into Stokes' shoes. Quickest bowler. In great form. Can average 30 with the bat...and he's an excellent boundary rider.

Outside bet for the series: Malan to be top Eng run scorer. When he's in nick and flowing he's the best (English) batsman on the county circuit. And he always plays better in county cricket when he's on tv or the heat is on. The pitches in Oz should suit him. He likes pace and a true bounce. It's swing he's more susceptible to. I can see him going well.
Ashes Thread on 14:02 - Nov 16 with 2941 viewsmakaveli1882

Ashes Thread on 09:05 - Nov 16 by stowmarketrange

I’ve set up an account with them and got through to buying tickets but I keep getting blocked for payment details with my cards.
The joys of modern life.

I used my UK address and I think booked with my debit card, my mrs also booked with he card and address and we have had no issues.

I would probably try another card if you can if not a family member or partner as all tickets you can print at home. If not maybe email them.

Good luck

* oh the LG Venue is 5k so should be rocking!
Ashes Thread on 14:14 - Nov 16 with 2928 viewsswisscottage

I have it as part of my Virgin package.

However I am not enthused:

compare commentary teams:

BT Sport:
Geoffrey Boycott
Michael Vaughen
Adam Gilchrist
Graeme Swann
Damien Fleming
Alison Mitchell
Host: Matt Smith

Generic Sky team:
David Gower
Michael Holding
Mike Atherton
Ian Botham
Nassar Hussein
David Lloyd(Bumble)
Shane Warne
+ 1 other Aussie

There is seriously no comparison. I'll be curious to see what BT sport do with this, but Given how excellent in general Sky's coverage of test cricket has been I'm not hopeful.
Ashes Thread on 16:00 - Nov 16 with 2867 viewsrobith

Aussie bowling is fearsome in home conditions, but their batting line up is just as fragile as England's imo

Forgot I'm hosting Christmas this year and my sister will be sleeping in the living room. Maybe ask if she can bunk with my missus so I can watch the Boxing Day test as is traditional
Ashes Thread on 17:01 - Nov 16 with 2843 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 14:02 - Nov 16 by makaveli1882

I used my UK address and I think booked with my debit card, my mrs also booked with he card and address and we have had no issues.

I would probably try another card if you can if not a family member or partner as all tickets you can print at home. If not maybe email them.

Good luck

* oh the LG Venue is 5k so should be rocking!

I’m slowly losing the will to live after spending all day going through the same screens only to be told that all my cards are blocked.I’ve checked my banks and they haven’t declined any transactions today.F@@@@@cking Aussies.Bah humbug.

Bought tickets for both events now.Good excuse to stay sober at the cricket. Now bought a ticket for the Melbourne derby on Dec 23rd too.Cheap as chips.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 14:06]
Ashes Thread on 00:42 - Nov 17 with 2790 viewsisawqpratwcity

Australia Test squad

Steve Smith (c)
David Warner (vc)
Cameron Bancroft
Usman Khawaja
Peter Handscomb
Shaun Marsh
Tim Paine
Mitchell Starc
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood
Jackson Bird
Chadd Sayers

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-17/tim-paine-earns-test-recall-for-gabba-ashe

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Thread on 17:31 - Nov 17 with 2707 viewsMrSheen

Ashes Thread on 00:42 - Nov 17 by isawqpratwcity

Australia Test squad

Steve Smith (c)
David Warner (vc)
Cameron Bancroft
Usman Khawaja
Peter Handscomb
Shaun Marsh
Tim Paine
Mitchell Starc
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood
Jackson Bird
Chadd Sayers

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-17/tim-paine-earns-test-recall-for-gabba-ashe

Aussie press frothing about Paine and Marsh getting picked. Both in their Mid-30s. Paine has one first class century. Watch him get his second!

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/11/17/tim-paines-ashes-selection-farce/
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 17:44]
Ashes Thread on 10:41 - Nov 22 with 2597 viewsBlackCrowe

Punchy attacking selection by England and i think it's the right thing to load up the bowling attack. They're going for win over survival. Weather forecast could suit Jimmy and Broad. All down to how the less experienced fair. Jake Ball, do your stuff son.

Can't quite make up my mind whether to stay up and watch the first hour or two tonight or set the alarm for 4am tomorrow.

Ashes Thread on 11:13 - Nov 22 with 2588 viewshubble

Gillespie rates Woakes (echoing what others have said in this thread). Decent read:

"Why Chris Woakes can be England’s danger man in the Ashes"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/nov/22/chris-woakes-england-danger-m

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Ashes Thread on 15:42 - Nov 22 with 2515 viewstoboboly

Ashes Thread on 10:41 - Nov 22 by BlackCrowe

Punchy attacking selection by England and i think it's the right thing to load up the bowling attack. They're going for win over survival. Weather forecast could suit Jimmy and Broad. All down to how the less experienced fair. Jake Ball, do your stuff son.

Can't quite make up my mind whether to stay up and watch the first hour or two tonight or set the alarm for 4am tomorrow.

Crowe, you watch a lot more cricket than I do so would like your take on Jake Ball.

Whenever I have seen him (live or tv) he has been terrible. I wouldn't have thought he'd have got in had Roland-Jones or Finn not been injured and I have been impressed with Overton so was surprised he got in ahead of him considering his injury record not just his bowling record.

Thought?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes Thread on 16:00 - Nov 22 with 2504 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Thread on 15:42 - Nov 22 by toboboly

Crowe, you watch a lot more cricket than I do so would like your take on Jake Ball.

Whenever I have seen him (live or tv) he has been terrible. I wouldn't have thought he'd have got in had Roland-Jones or Finn not been injured and I have been impressed with Overton so was surprised he got in ahead of him considering his injury record not just his bowling record.

Thought?

Must've been a wafer-thin decision between Ball and Overton. Think Ball will be more expensive of the two but has ability to take more wickets IMO. He bowls a good length and can get the ball to move a bit, which given the current weather forecast could suit the likes of him, Jimmy and Broad very nicely thank you. inshallah.

Ashes Thread on 16:01 - Nov 22 with 2504 viewsrobith

Ashes Thread on 14:14 - Nov 16 by swisscottage

I have it as part of my Virgin package.

However I am not enthused:

compare commentary teams:

BT Sport:
Geoffrey Boycott
Michael Vaughen
Adam Gilchrist
Graeme Swann
Damien Fleming
Alison Mitchell
Host: Matt Smith

Generic Sky team:
David Gower
Michael Holding
Mike Atherton
Ian Botham
Nassar Hussein
David Lloyd(Bumble)
Shane Warne
+ 1 other Aussie

There is seriously no comparison. I'll be curious to see what BT sport do with this, but Given how excellent in general Sky's coverage of test cricket has been I'm not hopeful.

On the bright side we don't have to spend 3 months listen to Botham moan about everything whilst being unable to unsee that dick pic he posted on twitter
Ashes Thread on 17:25 - Nov 22 with 2469 viewsHunterhoop

Ashes Thread on 16:00 - Nov 22 by BlackCrowe

Must've been a wafer-thin decision between Ball and Overton. Think Ball will be more expensive of the two but has ability to take more wickets IMO. He bowls a good length and can get the ball to move a bit, which given the current weather forecast could suit the likes of him, Jimmy and Broad very nicely thank you. inshallah.

I'd also say Ball is quicker than Overton. When he's in rhythm and on form he can get it up over 90mph. Not done it for England yet, but over the last two seasons county batsmen have said facing him with his tail up is a real challenge. Similar to Broad in some ways although obviously not as good, but he is sharper.
Ashes Thread on 19:43 - Nov 22 with 2432 viewsnix

Ashes Thread on 10:41 - Nov 22 by BlackCrowe

I always have to watch the first few overs. Number two son is going to watch with me. Trouble is I get a slight panic attack/flashback of that first over by Steve Harmison at the Gabba in 2006. That first delivery was so wide it was almost on the next pitch along. Of course now we know he was suffering from anxiety and just froze. All I could think at the time was that we were screwed.

Let’s hope that Broad has one of his ‘on days’ if we bowl first. He tends to enjoy the aggro against the Aussies.

As for commentary I’d swap Ian (when I won it single handed) Botham for Michael Vaughan any day. And Gower isn’t as charismatic as I thought he’d be from his playing days. But I’ll miss Warne, who’s entertaining as well as a surprisingly (to me) deep thinker about the game. Always find Holding interesting too.
Ashes Thread on 23:23 - Nov 22 with 2387 viewsqueensparker

Bit late to the game on this, just settled down to watch the opening overs and only just realised it's on BT Sport. Which we don't have. FFS.

Any links that might help much appreciated!
Ashes Thread on 23:54 - Nov 22 with 2363 viewsElHoop

Australia were 132-6 in the corresponding first innings here in the last series, but Haddin and SuperMitch got them out of trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if England ended up in a similar position today, with Bairstow and Woakes hopefully getting us out of trouble if that did happen.
Ashes Thread on 00:11 - Nov 23 with 2353 viewsDubaiR

So who is up and watching? Get through to lunch without loss
Ashes Thread on 00:13 - Nov 23 with 2350 viewsDubaiR

So much for that plan, cheap wicket
Ashes Thread on 00:14 - Nov 23 with 2350 viewsqueensparker

Uh oh. Cook gone already
Ashes Thread on 01:19 - Nov 23 with 2311 viewsnix

Ashes Thread on 00:11 - Nov 23 by DubaiR

So who is up and watching? Get through to lunch without loss

At least there wasn’t the domino effect. Vince has played some nice shots but apparently flatters to deceive.

Would be great if we could get to lunch without losing any more wickets.
Ashes Thread on 01:31 - Nov 23 with 2307 viewsacricketer

Good recovery by England and looking to occupy the crease. Lyon on already!
Ashes Thread on 06:10 - Nov 23 with 2258 viewsstowmarketrange

I lasted until tea.Some good solid batting for a change.Shame they couldn’t last until the interval without losing any more wickets.
Ashes Thread on 06:41 - Nov 23 with 2248 viewsMrSheen

Did I read on here once that Vince was a Ranger? Jinxed him now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024