Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Thread 19:48 - Nov 15 with 44720 viewsBlackCrowe

If we survive the 1st test, i think we might just sneak it. If we lose it, it'll probably be carnage.

Going to days 1-3 of Sydney. Anyone else there?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Thread on 07:22 - Dec 8 with 2909 viewsElHoop

Ashes Thread on 23:07 - Dec 7 by Hunterhoop

Tom Curran is a completely different sort of bowler to Anderson. He's a Broad like for like. Sam Curran is closer in style and approach to Anderson, but nowhere near ready.

Woakes is Anderson's replacement, and he is genuinely very good. England haven't seen the best of him but he's being modelled to fill Jimmy's boots.

Zofrey Archer is the next "pace" hope. TRJ is the most reliable and accurate county bowler. And Sam Curran is the best "swing" bowler in county cricket, but otherwise a limited bowler. Tom Helm is also being groomed as the long term (give it 3 years) Eng "Anderson styled" opening bowler. They love him and he has all the attributes

Yes of course you are quite correct - I was thinking of the wrong Curran!

In my defence I always saw Sam as the one who might be a proper England player so I assumed it was him - what an idiot. Tom I somehow doubt will be the new Broad though. Broad is pretty unique as a tall lanky fluent English quick bowler - I can't remember another English bowler who was that tall and quick and fluent and also a fair bit nasty as well. Hopefully Tom Curran or someone else can fill his boots but I somehow doubt it. It could be a long wait.
Ashes Thread on 12:50 - Dec 8 with 2843 viewsHunterhoop

Ashes Thread on 07:22 - Dec 8 by ElHoop

Yes of course you are quite correct - I was thinking of the wrong Curran!

In my defence I always saw Sam as the one who might be a proper England player so I assumed it was him - what an idiot. Tom I somehow doubt will be the new Broad though. Broad is pretty unique as a tall lanky fluent English quick bowler - I can't remember another English bowler who was that tall and quick and fluent and also a fair bit nasty as well. Hopefully Tom Curran or someone else can fill his boots but I somehow doubt it. It could be a long wait.

Perhaps. I think Tom Curran is an excellent county cricketer and he does remind me of Stuart Broad in his earlier days. Yes, he's not as tall, but Broad wasn't as quick as he is now in his earlier days, nor has he ever got exceptional bounce. He's been a line and length bowler, but dressed up with this aggression. Finn is and was taller, quicker, gets more bounce, bowls more aggressively, but he simply doesn't have the consistency, accuracy and skills of Broad to hit the seam repeatedly. And don't underestimate Woakes. Warner told Gilchrist during this Test that Woakes was a lot quicker than he realised and definitely the quickest (skiddy) bowler in the Eng side.

In terms of the future, the best line and length bowler in county cricket is TRJ, without a shadow of a doubt. Tresco this summer said he was the most accurate bowler in county cricket, and has been for years. But he's turning 30 now, and whilst a very good short term option, won't be the long term future.

As I said, Zofrey Archer looks a phenomenal talent. Tom Helm has a lot of potential. Both Curran brothers do. So does Coad at Yorks. There is talent out there, but, you are right, we will be losing some very good bowlers in Broad and Anderson in the coming years, and they are huge boots to fill.
Ashes Thread on 05:30 - Dec 10 with 2729 viewsisawqpratwcity

Stokes for Canterbury...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11957046

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes Thread on 09:27 - Dec 10 with 2671 viewsTGRRRSSS

Sounds trivial but wtf was going on in that Bar.

Seems a problem within the culture right now, and in the same bar they had a situation weeks ago.

Brainless, WACA could be embarrassing unless Cook, Bairstow and Woakes can get amongst the runs early.
Ashes Thread on 10:24 - Dec 10 with 2659 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 09:27 - Dec 10 by TGRRRSSS

Seems a problem within the culture right now, and in the same bar they had a situation weeks ago.

Brainless, WACA could be embarrassing unless Cook, Bairstow and Woakes can get amongst the runs early.

They must be well paid if the can afford to pour a drink away.I might pop in that bar and see if anyone wants to pour a drink my way.
Ashes Thread on 21:36 - Dec 11 with 2580 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes Thread on 09:27 - Dec 10 by TGRRRSSS

It is trivial, and in the old days no-one would have known or cared, but it's starting to get on my nerves a bit. This was always going to be a tough tour, the squad needs to be ruthlessly focussed. The Aussie stuff about wars and hate and ending careers is partly a bit of us misunderstanding them (IMO) and partly just idiocy egged on by the press, but it's also a way of focussing themselves on the job.

I was quite pleased to see Bairstow say that they had let Root down as captain because I think they have.
Ashes Thread on 10:39 - Dec 12 with 2517 viewsTheChef

Ashes Thread on 21:36 - Dec 11 by CiderwithRsie

It is trivial, and in the old days no-one would have known or cared, but it's starting to get on my nerves a bit. This was always going to be a tough tour, the squad needs to be ruthlessly focussed. The Aussie stuff about wars and hate and ending careers is partly a bit of us misunderstanding them (IMO) and partly just idiocy egged on by the press, but it's also a way of focussing themselves on the job.

I was quite pleased to see Bairstow say that they had let Root down as captain because I think they have.

Equally I think Root is part of the problem - arguably still too young and immature for the job, probably still sees himself as one of the boys and doesn't currently have the gravitas or authority to lead the players.

Nothing like an Ashes tour to learn about these things the hard way.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes Thread on 10:55 - Dec 12 with 2504 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Thread on 10:39 - Dec 12 by TheChef

Equally I think Root is part of the problem - arguably still too young and immature for the job, probably still sees himself as one of the boys and doesn't currently have the gravitas or authority to lead the players.

Nothing like an Ashes tour to learn about these things the hard way.

Not sure about the still seeing himself as one of the boys bit, but it is a big ask for one so young to captain an overseas Ashes series. I thought he'd be ok and he still might but it's looking like a premature appointment by about 2 or 3 years at the moment. But if not Rooty, who then?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Thread on 10:59 - Dec 12 with 2498 viewsTheChef

Ashes Thread on 10:55 - Dec 12 by BlackCrowe

Not sure about the still seeing himself as one of the boys bit, but it is a big ask for one so young to captain an overseas Ashes series. I thought he'd be ok and he still might but it's looking like a premature appointment by about 2 or 3 years at the moment. But if not Rooty, who then?

That's the thing isn't it. He'll have to be a quick learner!

Not forgetting however his Yorkshire team mates giving him the nickname of 'Craptain'...

Ashes Thread on 11:39 - Dec 12 with 2480 viewsozexile

Ashes Thread on 10:55 - Dec 12 by BlackCrowe

I think the selectors need to realise that the best player isn't necessarily the best captain. Root looks totally out of his depth over here.
Hasn't been helped by players acting like idiots admittedly.
Ashes Thread on 13:37 - Dec 13 with 2411 viewsTGRRRSSS

Worse undoubtedly happened in the past, but the past is just that...

Interesting to see Cook out facing the Media not Root this week.

Some say good move, but I am not so sure, especially when it was him alone not say 2 or 3 of the players.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 13:41]
Ashes Thread on 13:39 - Dec 13 with 2409 viewsTheChef

Same team for Perth. Finally they have moved Bairstow up the order.

Just have to play better than the Aussies!

Ashes Thread on 13:42 - Dec 13 with 2401 viewsTGRRRSSS

QPR just have to play better than Birmingham..........
Ashes Thread on 10:02 - Dec 14 with 2326 viewshopphoops

So, England are still in the series. Well done Malan and Bairstow. Let's see what the pitch brings for the next two days.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Ashes Thread on 10:07 - Dec 14 with 2319 viewstimcocking

Unexpected. Well played indeed!
Ashes Thread on 10:23 - Dec 14 with 2302 viewsMrSheen

Stokes got 90-odd from 47 balls in NZ 20-20 too.
Ashes Thread on 13:05 - Dec 14 with 2231 viewsElHoop

A pleasing day thanks to the middle order - the top order pretty much failed us again unfortunately, but well done to Malan in particular - a fine knock. He also comes across as someone who could work his way up to vice-captain or even captain in the longer term, given that we're a bit short of reliable experienced sorts.

Of course this could be a batting paradise and if we do get 500 then I would fancy this to be a draw, but you've got to be in it to win it, and we've finally got into a test out there with the bat.
Ashes Thread on 13:34 - Dec 14 with 2209 viewsHantsR

I enjoyed watching Malan and Bairstow this morning and although disappointed with Cook again, I was pleased to see a QPR flag in the Barmy Army.
Ashes Thread on 15:35 - Dec 14 with 2161 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Thread on 13:05 - Dec 14 by ElHoop

A pleasing day thanks to the middle order - the top order pretty much failed us again unfortunately, but well done to Malan in particular - a fine knock. He also comes across as someone who could work his way up to vice-captain or even captain in the longer term, given that we're a bit short of reliable experienced sorts.

Of course this could be a batting paradise and if we do get 500 then I would fancy this to be a draw, but you've got to be in it to win it, and we've finally got into a test out there with the bat.

You know deep down that we'll probably be all out for less than 400. Please don't let it be so.

Ashes Thread on 16:24 - Dec 14 with 2141 viewstoboboly

Ashes Thread on 15:35 - Dec 14 by BlackCrowe

You know deep down that we'll probably be all out for less than 400. Please don't let it be so.

I want a 550-4 declared tomorrow. $hit 'em.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes Thread on 17:03 - Dec 14 with 2120 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes Thread on 15:35 - Dec 14 by BlackCrowe

Was thinking exactly the same except 330/345 AO
Ashes Thread on 19:32 - Dec 14 with 2075 viewsElHoop

We need to win this game so getting to 550-4 won't be any good as it'll mean that the pitch hasn't deteriorated. If it starts breaking up and we only get 400 then I'd take that as there would be enough runs to attack them and enough time to turn them over. If the pitch doesn't break up then we can't win this game or at least I can't see how.
Ashes Thread on 20:21 - Dec 14 with 2047 viewsisawqpratwcity

From Cricinfo...

"England have never lost at the WACA when they have made 300 in their first innings. They have always lost when they have failed to do so...(hat-tip to the folks at Opta for that)"

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes Thread on 20:24 - Dec 14 with 2045 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 13:34 - Dec 14 by HantsR

I enjoyed watching Malan and Bairstow this morning and although disappointed with Cook again, I was pleased to see a QPR flag in the Barmy Army.

It was a great 1st day at the Waca and totally unexpected.As well as the Qpr flag there were a couple of other fans in the ground,including a big tall guy from Northern Ireland who knows Paul Finney and drinks in the White Horse.I got to the ground yesterday and there were 6 people in blue and white hopped bathing costumes that were sat 2 rows in front of me so it’s just as well I’m saving the shirt for day 3.
It’s nice to watch cricket and not to have to worry about rain.
I hope we continue to pile the runs on today and set ourselves up for the victory.
Ashes Thread on 04:33 - Dec 15 with 1982 viewsNov77

After Bairstow and Malan played so well, shame that another batting collapse followed.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024