Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Thread 19:48 - Nov 15 with 44757 viewsBlackCrowe

If we survive the 1st test, i think we might just sneak it. If we lose it, it'll probably be carnage.

Going to days 1-3 of Sydney. Anyone else there?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Thread on 12:18 - Dec 5 with 2529 viewsYorkRanger

Ashes Thread on 11:58 - Dec 5 by stowmarketrange

I think Smith expected us to let them pile on a few runs and then choose the time to declare under the lights once their bowlers have rested up for the day.
He looks like he’s going to cry any minute.

Good thread this, I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and we are still a long way from winning but some great comments earlier that aren't looking quite so smart now e.g. this bowling attack will never take 20 wickets in a match.

Bit like those on Twitter in the 91st minute of the Brentford game...
Ashes Thread on 12:19 - Dec 5 with 2526 viewsElHoop

I think Smith expected us to let them pile on a few runs and then choose the time to declare under the lights once their bowlers have rested up for the day.

They've only got 4 bowlers and their quicks are a bit fragile so you can see why they didn't make us bat again. As it turned out they didn't seem to get as much out of the pitch as we did in the last day and a half, so it might not have made much difference. It's the batting in our first innings that's made the difference if you ask me, not the toss or the follow on issue.
Ashes Thread on 12:24 - Dec 5 with 2500 viewsTheChef

Ashes Thread on 11:18 - Dec 5 by BlackCrowe

Absolutely none. Been pretending.

Most useless two hour team meeting ever.

And they're usually very useless.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes Thread on 13:18 - Dec 5 with 2412 viewsmakaveli1882

Very very tense.

Really wish we could find a win tomorrow so there is something still to play for in 2 weeks.

Did you see the banter from the Barmy Army to Steve Smith amazing!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/12/05/barmy-army-mock-australia-captain-

Ashes Thread on 13:28 - Dec 5 with 2385 views18StoneOfHoop

Ashes Thread on 13:18 - Dec 5 by makaveli1882

Very very tense.

Really wish we could find a win tomorrow so there is something still to play for in 2 weeks.

Did you see the banter from the Barmy Army to Steve Smith amazing!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/12/05/barmy-army-mock-australia-captain-

booooooo
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 5:15]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Ashes Thread on 13:30 - Dec 5 with 2379 viewsdaveB

Ashes Thread on 12:18 - Dec 5 by YorkRanger

Good thread this, I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and we are still a long way from winning but some great comments earlier that aren't looking quite so smart now e.g. this bowling attack will never take 20 wickets in a match.

in fairness this bowling attack still hasn't taken 20 wickets in a match
Ashes Thread on 13:44 - Dec 5 with 2363 views18StoneOfHoop

I love the tradition of mentally soft weak Ashes Aussie cricket captains who look on the verge of tears:

I.E, Steve Smith, Punter Ponting and Kim Hughes

Best to pretend that teak tough Chappel's, Waughs and Border's reigns didn't exist or happen at all, a bit like the April 20th 1986 Cancelled League Cup Final.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Ashes Thread on 13:46 - Dec 5 with 2361 viewsTheBlob

Joe Root is going to be in longer than Theresa May at this rate.
Come on England!!1

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Thread on 20:07 - Dec 5 with 2267 viewsYorkRanger

Ashes Thread on 13:30 - Dec 5 by daveB

in fairness this bowling attack still hasn't taken 20 wickets in a match

Fair point Dave if splitting hairs slightly....
Ashes Thread on 21:12 - Dec 5 with 2236 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes Thread on 12:18 - Dec 5 by YorkRanger

I once pontificated that you had to take 20 wickets to win a test match and someone pointed out that Australia won at Adelaide in 2006 by taking 16 wickets.

I shall of course laugh my head off if we win this one by taking 18.

I have to admit that yesterday I was all set to own up on here that my prediction of a close series was total toss (and still might be.) Rather surprised to find that the actual matches have (so far) been close though there's still a strong probability that Australia will end up 2-0 up.

Come on England! This is doable!
Ashes Thread on 22:17 - Dec 5 with 2195 viewsKiwi76

Really wanting to enjoy this series and would kick things off if England can win from here.
For all the usual Aussie bravado they are not as strong as they've been in the past and a loss here could cause some soul searching - especially for Smith.
Having said all that would still make them favourites - great first session or two coming up little later in the day/night...
Ashes Thread on 22:33 - Dec 5 with 2176 viewsHunterhoop

Ashes Thread on 21:12 - Dec 5 by CiderwithRsie

I once pontificated that you had to take 20 wickets to win a test match and someone pointed out that Australia won at Adelaide in 2006 by taking 16 wickets.

I shall of course laugh my head off if we win this one by taking 18.

I have to admit that yesterday I was all set to own up on here that my prediction of a close series was total toss (and still might be.) Rather surprised to find that the actual matches have (so far) been close though there's still a strong probability that Australia will end up 2-0 up.

Come on England! This is doable!

Australia are still very much favourites. But it was a great effort by England today. The first day we've dominated completely.

It's a big ask tomorrow. As someone said we need to try to get it down to under 100 needed with 5 wickets in hand to really put the pressure on Australia. The first hour "should" be the best time to bat. Ball is 62 overs old, the sun should be shining, and the pitch will just have had the heavy roller on. If Woakes and Root can get to the new ball and take some overs of the new ball too, that would be huge!

One thing I hope, and it is in our control, is that I really would like Bairstow to bat at 6 and Ali at 7. The smaller the target for Smith to defend when Ali comes in makes setting fields to him so much more challenging. If Ali is in and we're, say, 6 down, needing 80 odd, Smith will have such a fine line to tread. Ali can take the game away from you so quickly, but if the field is too defensive with the new ball likely to be 20 odd overs old by then, Aus may find wickets really difficult to come by.

Eng have all the time in the world. They need to eat up overs, grind it out and not gift any wickets. Runs, off the bat and through extras, will come if they occupy the crease. The pressure will build on Australia.

All that said, I fully expect to wake up and see England 240-9 and a bbc headline saying "England on the verge of defeat". I pray otherwise.
Ashes Thread on 22:38 - Dec 5 with 2169 viewsSydneyRs

This is a very average Australian team despite what they and their media would have you believe. That's why its frustraitng that England haven't played well enough for long enough in either match so far. Would love ot see us pinch this test but unless Root gets a big hundred it won't happen as our tail is weak.

Both games could have been affected a lot by a ift and firing Ben Stokes, both in restrcting Australia's batting scores and adding to ours. Annoying.
Ashes Thread on 22:43 - Dec 5 with 2158 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes Thread on 22:38 - Dec 5 by SydneyRs

This is a very average Australian team despite what they and their media would have you believe. That's why its frustraitng that England haven't played well enough for long enough in either match so far. Would love ot see us pinch this test but unless Root gets a big hundred it won't happen as our tail is weak.

Both games could have been affected a lot by a ift and firing Ben Stokes, both in restrcting Australia's batting scores and adding to ours. Annoying.

"Both games could have been affected a lot by a fit and firing Ben Stokes, both in restricting Australia's batting scores and adding to ours. Annoying."

Also by not having a bowler of genuine pace like Finn in the team to give their batsman the hurry up now and again.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes Thread on 23:17 - Dec 5 with 2147 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes Thread on 22:43 - Dec 5 by CamberleyR

"Both games could have been affected a lot by a fit and firing Ben Stokes, both in restricting Australia's batting scores and adding to ours. Annoying."

Also by not having a bowler of genuine pace like Finn in the team to give their batsman the hurry up now and again.

Afraid Finn hasn't been express pace for a bit now. Agree we could certainly do with someone but I don't think its a case of failing to pick one, there just aren't any English real quicks of the right standard. Woods is the nearest and he keeps getting crocked.

I'd have actually picked the other Overton because he's supposed to be quicker but that looks a bit stupid after this one has done OK.
Ashes Thread on 23:55 - Dec 5 with 2127 viewsacricketer

Great day for England yesterday. Don't think we can survive a barrage early on. So valiant effort. Not enough. Ashes to Oz.
Ashes Thread on 01:01 - Dec 6 with 2106 viewseastside_r

I know we have a few antipodean dwellers on this board, whether they regard themselves as ex-pats or fair dinkum Aussies, I am going to say this anyway.

I love the combative and competitive way that Aussie teams play but I can't bloody stand them.

Losing to the Windies, the Saffers or even Bangla Desh MEH; but not this lot.

Come on England, you can do this.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 1:07]
Ashes Thread on 03:00 - Dec 6 with 2081 viewsjonno

Ashes Thread on 23:55 - Dec 5 by acricketer

Great day for England yesterday. Don't think we can survive a barrage early on. So valiant effort. Not enough. Ashes to Oz.

Our main problem is that none of our main batsmen have a clue how to play a spinner. Cook is absolutely hopeless against spin, Strauss was the same. They all look petrified and sit back defending on the back foot, allowing the spinner to dominate knowing he isn't going to be hit around the park. We need to attack him and knock him off his line and length, with just four bowlers the Aussies would struggle if they had to take him out of the attack. Just leave the inevitable bouncers or anything outside off stump and frustrate the Aussie quick bowlers into having to bowl straight. Unfortunately all evidence so far shows we don't have the patience or capacity to do that, a pity Malan went near the end as well, him and Root could have both batted big today and really put the Aussies under some pressure. Still, at least the Aussies have no reviews left and we still have both of ours.
Ashes Thread on 03:11 - Dec 6 with 2077 viewsHooparoo

Ashes Thread on 01:01 - Dec 6 by eastside_r

I know we have a few antipodean dwellers on this board, whether they regard themselves as ex-pats or fair dinkum Aussies, I am going to say this anyway.

I love the combative and competitive way that Aussie teams play but I can't bloody stand them.

Losing to the Windies, the Saffers or even Bangla Desh MEH; but not this lot.

Come on England, you can do this.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 1:07]

I’m a fair dinkum Aussie (7 generations since 1831). Most Aussies love a bit of banter in games but most, like me, don’t like it when our blokes go too far and make it all nasty and boorish. Play it tough but fair then have a beer together afterwards. Important to both win and lose graciously in my view.

I liken the banter between Aussies and Poms as a bit like brothers - all competitive and tough during the match but deep down we have a shared history and abiding respect for each other.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes Thread on 04:21 - Dec 6 with 2060 viewsstowmarketrange

The optimism didn’t last long then.3 wickets in 45 mins for 13 runs.
Ashes Thread (n/t) on 04:56 - Dec 6 with 2044 views18StoneOfHoop

Ashes Thread on 04:21 - Dec 6 by stowmarketrange

The optimism didn’t last long then.3 wickets in 45 mins for 13 runs.

*the usual all-tooo-familiar and predictable weak rank humiliating disintegration*

[sigh]

I like our supposedly vehement arch rivals plucky wee Scotland. #BetterTogether

#SassenachsAndSweaties

I don't mind losing to them at all BUT this effing lot....

*With the exception of honarary Englishman Sir Richie Benaud, Kylie's perfect derriere,Natalie Imbruglia,Rebecca Cartwright,Annaliese Davies,Isla Fisher,Miranda Kerr,Yvonne Goolagong,Cathy Freeman...

[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 5:24]

Ashes Thread (n/t) on 05:10 - Dec 6 with 2035 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes Thread (n/t) on 04:56 - Dec 6 by 18StoneOfHoop

*the usual all-tooo-familiar and predictable weak rank humiliating disintegration*

[sigh]

I like our supposedly vehement arch rivals plucky wee Scotland. #BetterTogether

#SassenachsAndSweaties

I don't mind losing to them at all BUT this effing lot....

*With the exception of honarary Englishman Sir Richie Benaud, Kylie's perfect derriere,Natalie Imbruglia,Rebecca Cartwright,Annaliese Davies,Isla Fisher,Miranda Kerr,Yvonne Goolagong,Cathy Freeman...

[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 5:24]

What else could you say?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes Thread on 05:21 - Dec 6 with 2018 viewsstowmarketrange

At least I can go to bed early.Goodnight from him.
Ashes Thread on 07:24 - Dec 6 with 1970 viewsdaveB

Ashes Thread on 20:07 - Dec 5 by YorkRanger

Fair point Dave if splitting hairs slightly....

yeah was a bit, just think our bowling attack have it in us for a good innings but not 2 good ones in a match. Just not good enough outside our own conditions, god help us when Anderson retires
Ashes Thread on 07:39 - Dec 6 with 1968 viewsted_hendrix

Same old boring result, beaten by a better all-round team yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024