Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? 14:58 - Nov 17 with 6064 viewsDylanP

Which players have looked like they would take on the world when they left to join a more glamorous club, but never amounted to much elsewhere?

I'll start with a couple of obvious ones:

1. Charlie Austin -- went from scoring 19 n the Prem, to being a bench warmer.
2. Adel Taarabt -- What a waste!

Who else?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 22:46 - Nov 17 with 2112 viewsCiderwithRsie

There's a separate category of player who looked and were excellent at QPR but never got much attention (because : QPR) and didn't move on to more glamorous clubs because they were past their peak by the time they left: Glenn Roeder, Ian Dawes, Stevie Wicks, David Bardsley, Alan McDonald, Gary Waddock - names that register barely a flicker among fans of "big clubs" but who regularly made the players of said big clubs look like overpaid ponces.

But on the OP, on the slightly dubious basis of Leeds being more glamorous, I nominate Clarke Carlisle.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 23:42 - Nov 17 with 2079 viewsozexile

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:56 - Nov 17 by BrianMcCarthy

He really did.

Quashie is the one, though, as Sheen and Bosh pointed out.

When a gang of the QPR Yoof Mob (not the Burberry clowns, I mean the anorak crowd who used to watch South-East Counties games) hesitatingly pointed out to our manager Des Bulpin that Quashie was only 15 and underage (don't worry, we left it until we had the league wrapped up) he was genuinely nonplussed, so mature was our Nigel, no-one had seemed to notice.

One of our lads, Keith, used to regularly hum the tune "we're only making plans for Nigel". And we were. As a club. We never argued about whether he'd make it. Few made it, and we knew that. But he would. And he'd make it big. Why not? He had it all. Baseball talks bout the five tools necessary to excel in their game, football must have twenty. He had them all, perhaps bar speed. As Bosh says, that wouldn't have hampered him today. In truth, it didn't hamper him then. He was lightning up top.

What we argued about was what kind of player he would become. He reminded Keith of Ince, me of Brooking, Alan Barnes of God.

He made his breakthrough in '95. It was years in coming. He was 17. He was instant magic. A player you could dream on. Again, I thought about Brooking. He would run the show for you. Maybe you'd have to get the ball for him, though. It's not that he couldn't tackle, as any player who riled him would tell you, but you had the sense that he believed that tacking was something someone else did before he'd show for the ball and the pitch would open. There was the goal against Chelsea, there was effortless game management, there was...a player you could dream on...

I moved home to Ireland in the Summer of '96. On one of the many trips back I brought a non-Rangers friend to see us host West Brom. I'll never forget that game. It's one of my ten favourite games. Quashie ran the show. If you whisked the grass out as if by magic and replaced by ice it would not have stirred his serenity. The dream was real. He'd arrived.

I have no idea what happened to him afterwards. I don't want to know. That moment was utterly beautiful and I will remember it as long as I remember my name.

Wonderful post. That Chelsea game he ran the show in midfield. Scored a wonderful goal and had Gullit in his pocket all night.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 23:54 - Nov 17 with 2076 viewswombat

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 23:42 - Nov 17 by ozexile

Wonderful post. That Chelsea game he ran the show in midfield. Scored a wonderful goal and had Gullit in his pocket all night.

One I always thought destined for greater things , Richard Langley that knee injury did for him though

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 00:37 - Nov 18 with 2066 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Not a world beater but I think we got the best years out of Lee Cook.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 01:43 - Nov 18 with 2048 viewsPommyhoop

Phil Parkes
Probably had more to do with favoritism to all things Liverpool than Phils abilities tho.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 02:01 - Nov 18 with 2040 viewsoldmeadoniansR

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 20:56 - Nov 17 by BrianMcCarthy

He really did.

Quashie is the one, though, as Sheen and Bosh pointed out.

When a gang of the QPR Yoof Mob (not the Burberry clowns, I mean the anorak crowd who used to watch South-East Counties games) hesitatingly pointed out to our manager Des Bulpin that Quashie was only 15 and underage (don't worry, we left it until we had the league wrapped up) he was genuinely nonplussed, so mature was our Nigel, no-one had seemed to notice.

One of our lads, Keith, used to regularly hum the tune "we're only making plans for Nigel". And we were. As a club. We never argued about whether he'd make it. Few made it, and we knew that. But he would. And he'd make it big. Why not? He had it all. Baseball talks bout the five tools necessary to excel in their game, football must have twenty. He had them all, perhaps bar speed. As Bosh says, that wouldn't have hampered him today. In truth, it didn't hamper him then. He was lightning up top.

What we argued about was what kind of player he would become. He reminded Keith of Ince, me of Brooking, Alan Barnes of God.

He made his breakthrough in '95. It was years in coming. He was 17. He was instant magic. A player you could dream on. Again, I thought about Brooking. He would run the show for you. Maybe you'd have to get the ball for him, though. It's not that he couldn't tackle, as any player who riled him would tell you, but you had the sense that he believed that tacking was something someone else did before he'd show for the ball and the pitch would open. There was the goal against Chelsea, there was effortless game management, there was...a player you could dream on...

I moved home to Ireland in the Summer of '96. On one of the many trips back I brought a non-Rangers friend to see us host West Brom. I'll never forget that game. It's one of my ten favourite games. Quashie ran the show. If you whisked the grass out as if by magic and replaced by ice it would not have stirred his serenity. The dream was real. He'd arrived.

I have no idea what happened to him afterwards. I don't want to know. That moment was utterly beautiful and I will remember it as long as I remember my name.

What a lovely piece of writing. I myself wonder why Richard Langley never made it higher up. Always thought he had bags of ability and more to give.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 14:36 - Nov 18 with 1914 viewsFDC

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 18:21 - Nov 18 with 1876 viewssexton

Not a world beater by any means, but Leon Jeanne looked a decent prospect. His Wiki page makes for depressing reading.
Login to get fewer ads

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 22:16 - Nov 18 with 1823 viewsCiderwithRsie

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 23:54 - Nov 17 by wombat

One I always thought destined for greater things , Richard Langley that knee injury did for him though

Yeah, Langley and Quashie are sad stories really, possibly the basis for a QPR renaissance (and God knows we needed one back then) but both lost to us.

The guy from Carlisle, Paul Murray, was decent too.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 06:54 - Nov 19 with 1779 viewscleo44

Another Alec Stock masterstroke.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 08:32 - Nov 19 with 1762 viewsChurchie

Simon Stainrod
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 09:07 - Nov 19 with 1755 viewsHayesender

I always rated Wayne Fereday, but Newcastle fans thought he was useless

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 11:16 - Nov 19 with 1722 viewsCiderwithRsie

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 08:32 - Nov 19 by Churchie

Simon Stainrod

Good call, I was devastated when he left. Still fondly remembered at Dundee, I believe, but went from being on the fringes of the England squad at QPR to a cult hero at a small club in Scotland.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 13:32 - Nov 19 with 1696 viewsToast_R

Dick Langley. He finished 2002/03 and started 2003/04 like a train, scoring some wonderful goals, confidence soaring. The move to Cardiff though didn't seem to suit. Never the same when he returned a couple of years later. I thought he would get at least a shot in the Prem before he was sold.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 13:49 - Nov 19 with 1689 viewsWatford_Ranger

Andy Thomson.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 22:28 - Nov 19 with 1606 viewsPeterHucker

Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 13:32 - Nov 19 by Toast_R

Dick Langley. He finished 2002/03 and started 2003/04 like a train, scoring some wonderful goals, confidence soaring. The move to Cardiff though didn't seem to suit. Never the same when he returned a couple of years later. I thought he would get at least a shot in the Prem before he was sold.

used to watch Richard Langley in the youth team and thought he was going to go right to the top of the game.
I remember when we sold Quashie (who was the youth team's outstanding player before Langley) me & my mates said "it doesn't matter because Langley's going to be even better"
Still think he had the ability to have been playing for a much bigger club than us but the injuries did for him really.
Such great memories though, some spectacular & important goals, off the top of my head home v Blackpool, away v Pompey, away v Cardiff and a very very late winner away in Cheltenham in what turned out to be his last game for us.
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 23:43 - Nov 19 with 1595 viewsjohann28

Ian Stewart. Apart from Dave Thomas the magnificent, best left winger I ever saw in a Qpr shirt. Fond memories
[Post edited 19 Nov 2017 23:45]
Players Who Were World Beaters At QPR, But Never Made Anything Of It? on 06:52 - Nov 20 with 1554 viewsWrightUp5hit___

David Kerslake and Alan Comfort. Both came through the youth system at the same time. Thought both were hugely talented and while successful they had very different career trajectories and never reached the level they appeared capable of when youngsters.

While Alan Wilks was rated as one of the most talented players to ever come through our youth system by our coaches he was never loved by the fans and lost his way very early in his career.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024