Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was Holloway thinking.... 19:04 - Nov 18 with 4868 viewsBostonR

Playing Bapiste at right-back? He got ripped apart for most of the game. He has been solid at CB and it was no surprise to see Lynch have an absolute nightmare of a game without the dependable Bapiste long side him. Also why play Matt Smith up front when there was no real effort to get wide and play the crosses that he feeds on. So frustrating from Holloway today as there was no reason to lose that game today although Villa did play with twelve men. The ref was inept and clueless.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 19:33 - Nov 18 with 3818 viewsRuislipHoop

That was the fifth game in a row where the opposition has played a fast winger on the left hand side against an out of position right back.
Only once has Ollie done anything about it when he bought on Darnell to stem the tide.
Why is Furlong sitting on the bench when he is obviously the fastest player in the squad and an out and out right back.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 19:54 - Nov 18 with 3743 viewsbosh67

The problem for Baptiste as it has been every time Cousins starts is that Cousins can't defend and has no idea about how to tackle or positioning, or generally how to play football.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What was Holloway thinking.... on 20:10 - Nov 18 with 3684 viewsVancouverHoop

I thought the game turned after Cousins got a knock at around the half hour mark. He/we were doing OK before that. Afterwards, as noted, Baptiste was left to cover acres of space on the right. We had three potential subs for his position on the bench Pav, Furlong, or Wheeler. But when Cousins finally did come off (after we'd gone behind) it was for Washington.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 20:15 - Nov 18 with 3673 viewsBlue_Castello

What was Holloway thinking.... on 19:54 - Nov 18 by bosh67

The problem for Baptiste as it has been every time Cousins starts is that Cousins can't defend and has no idea about how to tackle or positioning, or generally how to play football.

Agreed - Baptiste was playing right side of the back three with Cousins as his wing back and to be honest Cousins has looked totally out of his depth ever since he has come back. This may well be due to the fact he has been brought back too early but the other reason is that he is not a wing back and doesn't know how to play the position.
The big question is why is Ollie persevering with Cousins at wing back, I am convinced Manning could do a far better job in that position. I still don't think we are comfortable playing three at the back and should switch to a back four until all our injured players are available.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 20:26 - Nov 18 with 3640 viewsEsox_Lucius

What was Holloway thinking.... on 20:15 - Nov 18 by Blue_Castello

Agreed - Baptiste was playing right side of the back three with Cousins as his wing back and to be honest Cousins has looked totally out of his depth ever since he has come back. This may well be due to the fact he has been brought back too early but the other reason is that he is not a wing back and doesn't know how to play the position.
The big question is why is Ollie persevering with Cousins at wing back, I am convinced Manning could do a far better job in that position. I still don't think we are comfortable playing three at the back and should switch to a back four until all our injured players are available.

Wszolek has proved his worth in that position as has Darnell. Cousins must have incriminating photos hidden away somewhere.
Whilst on the subject of "what were they thinking" WTF were those QPR kids thinking that attacked a large number of older Villa fans after the game outside the SAR/ Loft exits? I know at least one of them was injured as the police dragged him into the ground to arrest him with blood pouring out of an eye wound. Crass stupidity.

The grass is always greener.

What was Holloway thinking.... on 20:26 - Nov 18 with 3637 viewsStanisgod

Ollie in playing players out of position shock !
Inept referee shock !
Same old same old, especially the ref. Actually stood there at one point in the second half where he actually did not have a clue what to do for about ten seconds then gave Villa a throw. As for the " penalty" what a joke , turned the game for them although they probably would have equalized at some point. Gave us advantage when we were 1 against 4 , let Snodgrass whinge in his face the whole game etc etc.
I know its an old cliche but they really are getting worse and worse , this guy is supposed to be up and coming, God help us.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

What was Holloway thinking.... on 20:50 - Nov 18 with 3506 viewsMatch82

What was Holloway thinking.... on 20:26 - Nov 18 by Stanisgod

Ollie in playing players out of position shock !
Inept referee shock !
Same old same old, especially the ref. Actually stood there at one point in the second half where he actually did not have a clue what to do for about ten seconds then gave Villa a throw. As for the " penalty" what a joke , turned the game for them although they probably would have equalized at some point. Gave us advantage when we were 1 against 4 , let Snodgrass whinge in his face the whole game etc etc.
I know its an old cliche but they really are getting worse and worse , this guy is supposed to be up and coming, God help us.

Thought ref was generally poor, but that was def a pen in my eyes. Whilst it was "ball to hand" that was not exactly a me natural position to have hand in, would have been furious if that was the other way around and not given.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 21:08 - Nov 18 with 3440 viewsBushRanger82

What was Holloway thinking?
I've asked myself that question many a time, and will do a good few more times before his time's up, I'll wager.
Login to get fewer ads

What was Holloway thinking.... on 21:21 - Nov 18 with 3397 viewscolinallcars

He's returned to having the team play too narrow with no wingers. This was the formation when we went on the two long losing runs last season. Perhaps he thinks we can bottle things up in midfield this way.
Obviously he's not going to enlighten us to his thinking. We mere mortals can only wax inquisitively I'm afraid.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 22:21 - Nov 18 with 3272 viewsted_hendrix

This is what Holloway thought.

QPR manager Ian Holloway:

"Villa started the second half brighter because they'd got that little tonic. Once we went one behind, it was then very tough for us.

"We've got to keep believing, because some of that stuff was excellent - the way we got it to our wing-backs and played down the side.

"I feel we played well and I'll take that performance. We just need to capitalise on the chances we created. I'm sure we had at least as many as them, if not more."

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

What was Holloway thinking.... on 23:28 - Nov 18 with 3148 viewsoldmisery

What was Holloway thinking.... on 22:21 - Nov 18 by ted_hendrix

This is what Holloway thought.

QPR manager Ian Holloway:

"Villa started the second half brighter because they'd got that little tonic. Once we went one behind, it was then very tough for us.

"We've got to keep believing, because some of that stuff was excellent - the way we got it to our wing-backs and played down the side.

"I feel we played well and I'll take that performance. We just need to capitalise on the chances we created. I'm sure we had at least as many as them, if not more."

WTF was Holloway watching? Check the stats mate. Villa had 26 shots (6 on target) and we had 14 (4 on target). Seemed to me that as well as we played in the first 45, yes 45 minutes; they were much the better side after the break and should have scored 3 or 4.

Probably the worst miss was when Lynch suffered his usual brain fart for which he really should have been punished. Good job the ball fell to that cheating jock Snotarse and not the alleged Rangers supporter, Adomah, who would surely have secured his hat-trick.

And whilst I'm on a rant, why oh why are we continuing to play Cousins and Bidwell as wing backs when one can't defend and the other can't attack. We have 7 wingers in our squad and Holloway refuses to pick any of them on a regular basis. How does he expect Smith and Sylla etc to score goals when they receive very few decent crosses during the 90 minutes? Little wonder we haven't scored more than 2 goals in any game this season.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 23:37 - Nov 18 with 3121 viewsTheBlob

Somehow the words "Holloway" and "thinking" don't seem to fit in the same sentence.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

What was Holloway thinking.... on 00:12 - Nov 19 with 3057 viewsBoston

What was Holloway thinking.... on 23:37 - Nov 18 by TheBlob

Somehow the words "Holloway" and "thinking" don't seem to fit in the same sentence.

Well, you just managed it.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What was Holloway thinking.... on 08:10 - Nov 19 with 2830 viewsjonno

What was Holloway thinking.... on 23:28 - Nov 18 by oldmisery

WTF was Holloway watching? Check the stats mate. Villa had 26 shots (6 on target) and we had 14 (4 on target). Seemed to me that as well as we played in the first 45, yes 45 minutes; they were much the better side after the break and should have scored 3 or 4.

Probably the worst miss was when Lynch suffered his usual brain fart for which he really should have been punished. Good job the ball fell to that cheating jock Snotarse and not the alleged Rangers supporter, Adomah, who would surely have secured his hat-trick.

And whilst I'm on a rant, why oh why are we continuing to play Cousins and Bidwell as wing backs when one can't defend and the other can't attack. We have 7 wingers in our squad and Holloway refuses to pick any of them on a regular basis. How does he expect Smith and Sylla etc to score goals when they receive very few decent crosses during the 90 minutes? Little wonder we haven't scored more than 2 goals in any game this season.

I thought we played well up until we scored but Villa always looked the better side. It's frustrating that so many times we play ourselves into a good attacking position but then the final ball is never the right one, or good enough. We could easily have gone two up with a break when we had four players against their two defenders but again the wrong final ball was played and the opportunity lost. Defensively we looked very poor all game, no surprise that Villa looked like scoring regularly throughout, such a pity we have lost Hall and Chief because we really struggle to keep a clean sheet, particularly away from home. I think with the players currently available we struggle with a back three and should consider reverting to a proper back four for the time being.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 08:22 - Nov 19 with 2798 viewsRoller

What was Holloway thinking.... on 08:10 - Nov 19 by jonno

I thought we played well up until we scored but Villa always looked the better side. It's frustrating that so many times we play ourselves into a good attacking position but then the final ball is never the right one, or good enough. We could easily have gone two up with a break when we had four players against their two defenders but again the wrong final ball was played and the opportunity lost. Defensively we looked very poor all game, no surprise that Villa looked like scoring regularly throughout, such a pity we have lost Hall and Chief because we really struggle to keep a clean sheet, particularly away from home. I think with the players currently available we struggle with a back three and should consider reverting to a proper back four for the time being.

There would be an obvious knock on effect on the rest of the team. To swap to a back four would you sacrifice the compactness of our midfield triumvirate or play with just one up front?
What was Holloway thinking.... on 07:37 - Nov 20 with 2300 viewsjonno

What was Holloway thinking.... on 08:22 - Nov 19 by Roller

There would be an obvious knock on effect on the rest of the team. To swap to a back four would you sacrifice the compactness of our midfield triumvirate or play with just one up front?

I would revert to 4-4-2 for now. We need to be more solid at the back.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 07:53 - Nov 20 with 2289 viewsPommyhoop

Bring Darnell back!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

What was Holloway thinking.... on 08:04 - Nov 20 with 2279 viewsdaveB

He was probably thinking I'll play Baptiste on the right side of a back 3 with Cousins as wing backs but people will still have a go at me for playing him at right back when i'm not.

One good reason why we lost on Saturday was that Villa are slightly better than us and should be for the money they have spent
What was Holloway thinking.... on 08:32 - Nov 20 with 2256 viewsWatford_Ranger

Whether it’s a four or a five, Cousins simply isn’t the best option there, surely.

It looked to me like 4-4-2 against Sheff U with Wheeler playing and there was a good balance IMO.
What was Holloway thinking.... on 08:43 - Nov 20 with 2236 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What was Holloway thinking.... on 08:32 - Nov 20 by Watford_Ranger

Whether it’s a four or a five, Cousins simply isn’t the best option there, surely.

It looked to me like 4-4-2 against Sheff U with Wheeler playing and there was a good balance IMO.

I read it as 3-5-2 against Sheff Utd all through whether it was Freeman, Wheeler or Manning who all had spells there.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What was Holloway thinking.... on 09:30 - Nov 20 with 2184 viewsdavman

I still get frustrated by much of the criticism Ollie gets round these parts due to the injuries we have - Onouha, Perch, Hall and Caulker (OK, the latter is a different case, but if he was 'right', we'd be a better team) all out. FOUR Central defenders, all of whom should be near to being first choice.

The Beeb were going on about Villa's injury "crisis" during Final Score on Saturday, yet not one mention of ours. I am fairly confident that there are very, very few Championship teams that could compete with FOUR CBs out and we've been there for more than half a season and yet Ollie hasn't whinged about it once yet.

On the flip side, I am still confused why we have so many wingers in the squad when we don't play them and why Darnell isn't playing. I get the feeling that Ollie just wants to shoehorn Cousins into the side as he can't put him in midfield with the three we have, which is a big shame as Darnell is perfect for a wing back in my eyes and, Wsolek has proved more than adequate there early season.

Also, unless he was knackered following the International break, why did Sylla's run in the team come to an end?

Still, that injury crisis though...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

What was Holloway thinking.... on 10:24 - Nov 20 with 2127 viewsdaveB

What was Holloway thinking.... on 08:32 - Nov 20 by Watford_Ranger

Worth giving him a chance though, Holloway has tried Pawel and Furlong as wing back this season and neither have done that well
What was Holloway thinking.... on 11:56 - Nov 20 with 2053 viewsAntti_Heinola

What was Holloway thinking.... on 07:37 - Nov 20 by jonno

I would revert to 4-4-2 for now. We need to be more solid at the back.

I'd leave the midfield 3 as is and not tamper with that. So I'd like to see 4-3-3, with perhaps Connor and Wheeler either side of Sylla.

Bare bones.

What was Holloway thinking.... on 13:50 - Nov 20 with 1960 viewsderbyhoop

Totally agree about the injuries. The BBC 's reporting concentrated on the fact that Villa were missing Kodija, Hogan and Terry, while totally ignoring that we have 4 potential CBs out.
I think we all had high hopes for Cousins when he was signed, but the best part of a year out with injuries have taken their toll. When match fit, he should be the perfect answer to play right wing back. But, he is still working towards that level of fitness. Baptiste is being found out, after a couple of steady performances. He hasn't got the pace to cope with a decent wide man. But all the alternatives have flaws.
Furlong's positioning is still very suspect
Wszolek has been poor for months
Wheeler is more of an attacking option.
Shodipo and Bright-Samuel are still naive. Not convinced either of them defend well enough.
Mackie could play there, but he's not going to create much.
Petrasso, when he is available, has stood still for 18 months.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What was Holloway thinking.... on 14:43 - Nov 20 with 1909 viewsoldmisery

What was Holloway thinking.... on 13:50 - Nov 20 by derbyhoop

Totally agree about the injuries. The BBC 's reporting concentrated on the fact that Villa were missing Kodija, Hogan and Terry, while totally ignoring that we have 4 potential CBs out.
I think we all had high hopes for Cousins when he was signed, but the best part of a year out with injuries have taken their toll. When match fit, he should be the perfect answer to play right wing back. But, he is still working towards that level of fitness. Baptiste is being found out, after a couple of steady performances. He hasn't got the pace to cope with a decent wide man. But all the alternatives have flaws.
Furlong's positioning is still very suspect
Wszolek has been poor for months
Wheeler is more of an attacking option.
Shodipo and Bright-Samuel are still naive. Not convinced either of them defend well enough.
Mackie could play there, but he's not going to create much.
Petrasso, when he is available, has stood still for 18 months.

It's all about opinions of course but mine is that, even when match fit, I don't think Cousins will ever be the perfect answer to the right wing back position.

Defensively he is never in the right place; he doesn't mark his man effectively, (surprisingly) gets beaten for pace and doesn't tackle consistently well enough.

Offensively he's a lot more effective but the quality of his crossing is not good enough.

For me, when fully fit, he's a box to box central midfielder. I'm just not convinced that he would score often enough to ever warrant a place in the side. Having said that --- who of our midfielders does?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024