Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dog Harness. 14:18 - Nov 21 with 7862 viewsMick_S

I'm in the running for the most boring post title ever, but I need some advice.
My dog is driving me nuts during our walks by pulling almost constantly and I've been advised to try a harness* - I'm using a conventional lead at the moment and an extendable one over the fields as his recall is not too good at the moment.

Six month old Hungarian Vizsla who is attending puppy classes.

Help!!!

*Not me - the dog.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 14:29]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Dog Harness. on 14:42 - Nov 21 with 5641 viewsLblock

No! No! No!

A harness won’t help you, they help the dog

What you need is a decent collar as high up the neck as possible and then you need to add a Halti or a Gentle Leader. These are NOT muzzles but some people think they are. If used right they will change your life

The key to get any dog walking well on a lead is boring repetition and consistency. Our current 8 month old puppy is a very hard work in progress at the moment which the missus is fully committed to. We have a test case of not following this through by way of our 9 year old 30 kilos of muscle Labrador who we never cracked lead walking with. If we want total control on a walk with her then the halti comes out

Look em up on you tube

By the way. Extendable lead is a no no as well. Try a long line, like a 30 footer but when the dog is pulling at the end of an extender or able to be 15 foot away from you but still on a lead then it’s gett the wrong signals
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 14:44]

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dog Harness. on 14:51 - Nov 21 with 5617 views2Thomas2Bowles

Dog Harness. on 14:42 - Nov 21 by Lblock

No! No! No!

A harness won’t help you, they help the dog

What you need is a decent collar as high up the neck as possible and then you need to add a Halti or a Gentle Leader. These are NOT muzzles but some people think they are. If used right they will change your life

The key to get any dog walking well on a lead is boring repetition and consistency. Our current 8 month old puppy is a very hard work in progress at the moment which the missus is fully committed to. We have a test case of not following this through by way of our 9 year old 30 kilos of muscle Labrador who we never cracked lead walking with. If we want total control on a walk with her then the halti comes out

Look em up on you tube

By the way. Extendable lead is a no no as well. Try a long line, like a 30 footer but when the dog is pulling at the end of an extender or able to be 15 foot away from you but still on a lead then it’s gett the wrong signals
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 14:44]

This ^^^^ get a Halti

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Dog Harness. on 14:57 - Nov 21 with 5615 viewsBoston

Some people will go a long way to hide their sexual peccadillos.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dog Harness. on 15:16 - Nov 21 with 5604 viewsBrightonhoop

As above, consistency is key. Command it to heal, walk beside you and reward good behaviour with treats and positive attention. They don't understand punishment and it harms the relationship. Once it's mastered the good behaviour cut it some slack but maintain the commands.
Good luck.
Dog Harness. on 17:00 - Nov 21 with 5523 viewsplasmahoop

I agree that a halti is the thing to get
Dog Harness. on 17:15 - Nov 21 with 5517 viewsLblock

Here you go........

Like I said - we don't use this all the time on the big moose but if we are going somewhere where she's likely to be going crazy, like walking in or alongside livestock, we use it. I'm using it a bit more at moment as recovering from another back operation!!!

Where a dog is young I wouldn't rely on this but use it to help as training aid. You can get the dog to walk on heal with a LOT of effort put in with training.

The other things we've just started using are inertia leads. These are pretty good at removing that initial snap and jerk but I'm not as big a fan as the missus is - I find them too short.

Hope that helps.

(PS -- never a boring thread, title etc -- doesnt come close to my favourite discussion on house bricks here a long time ago!!!)

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dog Harness. on 17:20 - Nov 21 with 5509 viewsdolcelatte

Tried them all on our cockapoo, only thing that worked was a harness!

Also do canicross with him. Lots of Vizsla's in the races we do. So get running!

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Dog Harness. on 17:40 - Nov 21 with 5486 viewsHayesender

I suppose it's what the dog is used to, but my boy has been harnessed since he was 4 months old and he is absolutely fine on it

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Dog Harness. on 19:36 - Nov 21 with 5424 viewscheeseydane

Better to change the dogs mindset than build up a negative situation.
Had many dogs and this has always worked for me.
The second the dog pulls.... simply stop and make him/her wait/sit. Timing is important. After 10 secs go again.
Repeat to fade.
Sooner or later the dog gets the message that pulling gets him nowhere.
It can be a long process but effective. And once learned there will be no more problem.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Dog Harness. on 20:45 - Nov 21 with 5394 viewsozexile

I tried a Halti, the dog would not budge. Dug it's paws in and rooted tobthe spot.
Dog Harness. on 22:19 - Nov 21 with 5335 viewswestberksr

I didn't try the halti (wish I had) but did classes up to gold level. Problem is that my weimaraner walks perfectly in class but just wants to rampage when out on a walk. Another hunting breed so as hpr's they are lively (but should still do as they are told)

I use a harness that tightens under his front arms when he pulls rather than just turn him into a sleigh dog that carries on pulling. Quite gentle on the dog.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-Animals-Non-Pull-Harness-Medium/dp/B0062ME8WG/r

This is the fella.
Dog Harness. on 23:59 - Nov 21 with 5280 viewsFredManRave

Dog Harness. on 22:19 - Nov 21 by westberksr

I didn't try the halti (wish I had) but did classes up to gold level. Problem is that my weimaraner walks perfectly in class but just wants to rampage when out on a walk. Another hunting breed so as hpr's they are lively (but should still do as they are told)

I use a harness that tightens under his front arms when he pulls rather than just turn him into a sleigh dog that carries on pulling. Quite gentle on the dog.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-Animals-Non-Pull-Harness-Medium/dp/B0062ME8WG/r

This is the fella.

Is this your dog?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Dog Harness. on 00:12 - Nov 22 with 5270 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dog Harness sounds like a Bob Holness anagram but isn’t.
Dog Harness. on 07:15 - Nov 22 with 5218 viewswestberksr

Dog Harness. on 23:59 - Nov 21 by FredManRave

Is this your dog?!

He'd never be seen dead in that jumper; might be his stupid brother!
Dog Harness. on 08:48 - Nov 22 with 5202 viewsWokingR

Is this you Mick ?

Dog Harness. on 11:42 - Nov 22 with 5168 viewsMick_S

I wouldn't pull with that on would I?

Many thanks for your replies, folks.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 13:16]

Dog Harness. on 13:55 - Nov 22 with 5121 viewsYorkRanger

Dog Harness. on 11:42 - Nov 22 by Mick_S

I wouldn't pull with that on would I?

Many thanks for your replies, folks.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 13:16]

We have a Labradoodle and she has been much better since we got a harness. We saw it on a dog on holiday, online company called dog and co.
Dog Harness. on 14:39 - Nov 22 with 5101 viewsjohncharles

Most dogs will stop pulling as they get older. The first five years are the worst.

Seriously, get a harness. It won’t stop him pulling but it will be less wear and tear on his throat.
To state the bleeding obvious, young dogs need a huge amount of exercise but you just have to do what you can. I’ve got a young Border Collie and I’m lucky there’s a beach near by but there’s no end to his running. It’s never enough but don’t despair, you just do what you can.

Strong and stable my arse.

Dog Harness. on 14:47 - Nov 22 with 5092 viewskensalriser

Can we henceforth replace all match threads with dog harness threads (or similar)?

Get a smaller dog, by the way. Or a cat, which obviates the need for a lead of any kind.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Dog Harness. on 14:51 - Nov 22 with 5085 viewsMick_S

Dog Harness. on 14:47 - Nov 22 by kensalriser

Can we henceforth replace all match threads with dog harness threads (or similar)?

Get a smaller dog, by the way. Or a cat, which obviates the need for a lead of any kind.

No.

Dog Harness. on 16:17 - Nov 22 with 5057 viewsblacky200

I've had Bull Terriers for 35 plus years and always used a choke chain. The dog learns quickly without damage if used properly. Don't yank the dog back with it, allow the lead to go loose then give a quick, gentle snap back with the lead and release the tension straight away.
Oh and make sure you put it the right way round. It should release automatically.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 16:18]
Dog Harness. on 16:56 - Nov 22 with 5042 viewsMaggsinho

Dog Harness. on 14:47 - Nov 22 by kensalriser

My friend takes her cat for walks on a lead.
Dog Harness. on 21:41 - Nov 22 with 5003 viewsM40R

There are two types of Halti harness. One pulls the jaws together and annoys most dogs and is a faff to fit. The other fits around the chest and needs a lead with clips at both ends. This works perfectly for our 32Kg Lab. No pulling at all but if we use just his neck collar its a different story.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HALTI-HARNESS-BLACK-RED-Medium/dp/B004W78GGC/ref=sr_1_2
Dog Harness. on 22:09 - Nov 22 with 4989 viewsBoston

Well it all started with a dog collar....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dog Harness. on 23:45 - Nov 22 with 4965 viewstimcocking

No!

The only people who use a harness are people who don't realise you shouldn't.

Your dog needs a little training, but a harness won't help. It'll literally teach him that pulling is ok.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024