Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kilimanjaro 14:39 - Nov 28 with 3251 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Help needed. Anyone done it?

I've agreed to do it next Summer with Peter, a clubmate of mine. Last year our GAA club lost a young lad to suicide. He was Peter's nephew and I was one of his mentors. So Peter's doing Kilimanjaro to raise money for suicide prevention and to raise suicide awareness in our club and area. And I'm tagging along. I think it's important to do something positive. We can't just be doom and gloom.

All I know so far:-

1) This will not be 'charity tourism'. We're paying our own way 100%, and 100% of what we raise will go to charity - no admin, no fees, no charges.

2) Kilimanjaro's in Africa

Anyone got any advice on:-

1) Fitness - I go to the gym four times a week and play 5-a-side once a week, probably need to do more cardio and endurance, though.

2) Mountain-climbing - what's good prep?

3) Fundraising - what's the best way to raise? Justgiving?

Any help would be gratefully received, no matter how obscure!

Thanks in advance.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Kilimanjaro on 14:49 - Nov 28 with 2695 viewsBoston

One of my sister in laws did it about ten years ago, blindfolded, backwards.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Kilimanjaro on 14:59 - Nov 28 with 2680 viewsSimonJames

Being a QPR fan is enough of an uphill struggle for me.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Kilimanjaro on 15:48 - Nov 28 with 2651 viewsMick_S

Any man that can rip apart a Bullworker need have no fear. Anyway, this is how you get home Brian.

Good luck sir.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Kilimanjaro on 16:02 - Nov 28 with 2629 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Good luck mate.

Stick any pledge page on here.
Kilimanjaro on 16:09 - Nov 28 with 2620 viewsHantsR

I used to live and work in sight of Kilimanjaro (based at the Tanzanite Hotel, USA River, dunno if it's still there but it had a pool and zoo! However, never climbed the twin peaks of Kilimanjaro.

You'll get lots advice about the climb, some of it starts very early morning so be prepared. Some folk I knew climbed it without realising there's a significant change in temperature from the hot plains between Arusha and Moshi (about 4500 ft amsl) and the summit, 19,000 ft high , so need appropriate clothing. It's more of a steep walk than a hard climb, so good boots rather than crampons etc.

A lot of people get altitude sickness so as much as you can to to prepare for that the better, I guess don't go straight from the airport to the climb?

Other points:

Kilimanjaro is indeed in Africa, Tanzania to be precise and the highest mountain in Africa - a stupendous sight rising from the plains. I believe there was a deal between England and Germany in Victoria's reign that meant it was officially not in Kenya.

I would use Just Giving and publicise it with friends and er, social media...? I'm sure LFW regulars will be very generous.
Kilimanjaro on 16:11 - Nov 28 with 2619 viewsHantsR

Oh, and of course...
Kilimanjaro on 17:03 - Nov 28 with 2588 viewsrrrspricey

I did Kili a few years back but had to give up just before the summit when my flip flop broke.
Kilimanjaro on 17:05 - Nov 28 with 2587 viewsBrightonhoop

Someone I knew in another life did it, took about 5 days and they were a group of young lads and fit. He was in the TA so fairly fit anyway, but in the run up to it he was running with a heavy backpack for about 2-3 weeks.

This was pre-social media so he was making all sorts, cakes, bajis etc and selling them at work, that raised a fair bit for the school at the base.

They say climate change has melted the snow caps.

And yes, try a Just Giving age and share it here and elsewhere.

Well done man, great stuff.
Login to get fewer ads

Kilimanjaro on 17:14 - Nov 28 with 2577 viewsstowmarketrange

Hello Brian.I know a few people that have done it and it is pretty tough to complete.You won’t know how you’ll react to heights until you get up there.
I can pick a few brains and get back to you.
I did the Grand Canyon for Marie Curie 3 years ago and it was definitely one of the best things I’ve ever done.You’ll make friendships that will last a lifetime and some great adventures at the same time.
Fundraising was a real pain,but I mainly achieved my total with bag packing sessions at all the major supermarkets.
Write to them all and you might be surprised at how helpful they were.I did 7 straight days at Morrison’s and just stood there with a bucket and got almost £1000 just for that.Fancy dress does help too.As does a justgiving page as you will pick up a lot that way.
I’ll find some more info about the walk and get back to you,but I’d definitely go for it.
Good luck with it.
Kilimanjaro on 17:34 - Nov 28 with 2558 viewsted_hendrix

Brian, my eldest lad Dave climbed it a few years ago that was after spending three Months doing school building charity work in Mozambique and South Africa so as you can imagine he wasn't exactly 'nourished up'
He's a tough and fit bastard but I do recall him saying what an experience it was but I'm sure he said it was the hardest thing he done and he's done the Mount Everest trek, about five London marathons some Pyrenees bike race charity thing and gawd knows what else
He don't post on here anymore but we're seeing him this weekend I'll see if he's got any tips I can pass on.
Good on yer.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Kilimanjaro on 17:34 - Nov 28 with 2556 viewsWrightUp5hit___

The altitude sickness thing is the weird one.

Some young, fit, well trained and acclimatised people get into difficulties.

Yet on the other hand grannies who do no preparation whatsoever get to the top with no problem at all.
Kilimanjaro on 17:51 - Nov 28 with 2534 viewsPlanetHonneywood

...and no nipping off 88 minutes in to beat the rush back to town!
[Post edited 28 Nov 2017 17:52]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Kilimanjaro on 18:06 - Nov 28 with 2517 viewsBklynRanger

I did it in 2011 on my honeymoon. One of the best things I've ever done. You sound fairly close to fit enough to me tbh Brian, maybe a bit more cardio as you say. The one clear piece of advice I'd give is take an extra day. The standard route up and down usually takes 4 or 5 days for average people, and most of those routes seem to include a fairly long summit day with a biggish difference in altitude - taking an extra day allows you to break that up and you'll be far more likely to succeed - the way I looked at it we'd gone to a hell of a lot of trouble to get there anyway so what was one more day? Acclimatisation is key - as somebody else said there are plenty of very fit people who've been beaten by it.

No climbing skill or gear is needed - it's all walking. Best of luck and I'm around if you have questions Bri.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2017 18:09]
Kilimanjaro on 19:20 - Nov 28 with 2465 viewsPunteR

Set up a justgiving page. easy to use and all the money goes to your chosen charity.
Then put it up on here, FB etc. i'm sure clive will sticky the thread.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Kilimanjaro on 20:15 - Nov 28 with 2440 viewsBoston

Kilimanjaro on 18:06 - Nov 28 by BklynRanger

I did it in 2011 on my honeymoon. One of the best things I've ever done. You sound fairly close to fit enough to me tbh Brian, maybe a bit more cardio as you say. The one clear piece of advice I'd give is take an extra day. The standard route up and down usually takes 4 or 5 days for average people, and most of those routes seem to include a fairly long summit day with a biggish difference in altitude - taking an extra day allows you to break that up and you'll be far more likely to succeed - the way I looked at it we'd gone to a hell of a lot of trouble to get there anyway so what was one more day? Acclimatisation is key - as somebody else said there are plenty of very fit people who've been beaten by it.

No climbing skill or gear is needed - it's all walking. Best of luck and I'm around if you have questions Bri.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2017 18:09]

What about the elephants, hear they're fcuking out of control on the snow boards?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Kilimanjaro on 21:58 - Nov 28 with 2396 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks everyone. Great advice. This message board never fails.

Plenty for me to think about!

Kilimanjaro on 22:46 - Nov 28 with 2366 viewsOakR

I've never done this climb, but in my younger years did the Annupurna Circuit in Nepal (highly recommended to anyone!).

Anyway, one thing I remember is there was a mandatory day stop at a certain height (I think it was 3,600 metres). on the day, you were meant to Climb higher than your sleeping altitude and then come back down, which is to help you acclimatise.

Altitude sickness has nothing to do with fitness I remember being told, fit or unfit does not make a difference. You have to look out for the signs of it and have you and your friend look out for each other for the signs of it.

I did a fair bit of reading before it, and there were 2 standout recommendations - walking shoes (admittedly mine was a 17 day walk but 5-6 days of serious walking is still plenty) and backpack if you are carrying one. I went to the old Cotswolds that was on S Bush Green pre-westfield and wore my boots for a while before. May be overkill for this, not sure (I was away for a year so wanted a good pair either way).

Good luck and sounds like a great thing you are doing.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Kilimanjaro on 06:48 - Nov 29 with 2303 viewsMrSheen

Barefoot up Croagh Patrick. All the prep you need, and you'll be in God's good books.
Kilimanjaro on 08:20 - Nov 29 with 2257 viewskingsburyR

Kilimanjaro on 06:48 - Nov 29 by MrSheen

Barefoot up Croagh Patrick. All the prep you need, and you'll be in God's good books.

Sod that. I've climbed Croagh Patrick a few times.

Barefeet is not an option!

Good luck Brian. I'll happily sponsor you for such a good cause.....and effort!
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 8:21]

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Kilimanjaro on 19:38 - Nov 29 with 2136 viewsFredManRave

Kilimanjaro on 22:46 - Nov 28 by OakR

I've never done this climb, but in my younger years did the Annupurna Circuit in Nepal (highly recommended to anyone!).

Anyway, one thing I remember is there was a mandatory day stop at a certain height (I think it was 3,600 metres). on the day, you were meant to Climb higher than your sleeping altitude and then come back down, which is to help you acclimatise.

Altitude sickness has nothing to do with fitness I remember being told, fit or unfit does not make a difference. You have to look out for the signs of it and have you and your friend look out for each other for the signs of it.

I did a fair bit of reading before it, and there were 2 standout recommendations - walking shoes (admittedly mine was a 17 day walk but 5-6 days of serious walking is still plenty) and backpack if you are carrying one. I went to the old Cotswolds that was on S Bush Green pre-westfield and wore my boots for a while before. May be overkill for this, not sure (I was away for a year so wanted a good pair either way).

Good luck and sounds like a great thing you are doing.

I´m with Oak on this.

I did the Mountain Everest base camp trek 15 years ago. As the title suggests it was a trek more than a climb and it was 19 (long!) days. But want to reiterate the point mentiioned by Oak that we also did the aclimitisation day, where we climbed (that day was a clinb) up 300 metres in altitude, hung around as it were and then went back down to camp. All for the sole purpose of preparing your body/self for that last, highest part of the climb.

And as somebody else mentioned previously in the thread, it will presumably be a once in a lifetime opportunity so just make sure you plan it giving yourselves more than ample time. Better to finish earlier than planned than to risk the whole thing because you're against the clock and feeling the pressure etc...

Good Luck and Keep Us Posted.

P.S. Surprised nobody has mentioned it but what a bloody great album as well!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Kilimanjaro on 19:47 - Nov 29 with 2121 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Kilimanjaro on 19:38 - Nov 29 by FredManRave

I´m with Oak on this.

I did the Mountain Everest base camp trek 15 years ago. As the title suggests it was a trek more than a climb and it was 19 (long!) days. But want to reiterate the point mentiioned by Oak that we also did the aclimitisation day, where we climbed (that day was a clinb) up 300 metres in altitude, hung around as it were and then went back down to camp. All for the sole purpose of preparing your body/self for that last, highest part of the climb.

And as somebody else mentioned previously in the thread, it will presumably be a once in a lifetime opportunity so just make sure you plan it giving yourselves more than ample time. Better to finish earlier than planned than to risk the whole thing because you're against the clock and feeling the pressure etc...

Good Luck and Keep Us Posted.

P.S. Surprised nobody has mentioned it but what a bloody great album as well!

Thanks for the posts and the PM's, folks. Class.

Brief update - Peter has been in touch with Falveys who've been running trips up the mountain since '95. They're based in Cork and have a great reputation. After reading your posts on here I asked Peter to ask them two questions up front - "how many days climb on their trips" and "do they have an acclimatisation day". The answers were "6 days up" and "yes, two acclimatisation descents" which is promising. lots more research to do before we commit. I have a lot of videos to watch.

Thanks everyone!
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 19:48]

Kilimanjaro on 19:51 - Nov 29 with 2113 viewsHantsR

Just another useful bit of information:

Toto were geographically incorrect in 'Africa' with their line: "As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti"

If you need a guide to the fauna of the area, someone to speak a little Swahili, carry a (light) bag and occasionally talk a load of bolx about QPR, give us a call
Kilimanjaro on 19:51 - Nov 29 with 2112 viewsFredManRave

Kilimanjaro on 19:47 - Nov 29 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the posts and the PM's, folks. Class.

Brief update - Peter has been in touch with Falveys who've been running trips up the mountain since '95. They're based in Cork and have a great reputation. After reading your posts on here I asked Peter to ask them two questions up front - "how many days climb on their trips" and "do they have an acclimatisation day". The answers were "6 days up" and "yes, two acclimatisation descents" which is promising. lots more research to do before we commit. I have a lot of videos to watch.

Thanks everyone!
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 19:48]

Here's a great Kilimanjaro related video to watch and thanks for reminding me about it.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Kilimanjaro on 20:34 - Nov 29 with 2085 viewslondonscottish

A mate of mine did it in 2010-ish. He was involved in taking a band up there for some sort of charity highest-gig-in-the-world thing. I'll ask him about it next time I see him.

As others have said send out the Just Giving page and I'll lob on. Good cause.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Kilimanjaro on 22:51 - Nov 29 with 2046 viewsLblock

It’s a tasty lager in the bottle - never seen it on draught

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024