Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Substitutions at Preston 21:05 - Dec 3 with 3182 viewsqprd

I wasn't at the match yesterday, but can someone who was there try to rationalise Ollie's substitutions?

After Mackie went off in the 20th minute, a draw seemed the best likely outcome- why did he bring on Smith as the first sub?

And having played for 60 minutes with 10 men, with the players presumably tired, why didn't he bring on some fresh legs to shore up the defence? He didn't bring on a second sub until after Preston scored.

We ended the match with an unused sub, which seems unconscionable in a match played almost entirely with a man disadvantage. Manning or Cousins could have really helped shore up defence.

Substitutions at Preston on 21:25 - Dec 3 with 3128 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

We got to 88 mins at 0-0 with 10 men so not sure about the substitution criticism. Sounds like we got narrowly beaten by a marginally (that might be unfair on Preston because I wasn't there) better team. No need for panic probably.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Substitutions at Preston on 21:33 - Dec 3 with 3105 viewsRangersDave

I thought bringing on smith was the perfect tactic that almost paid off twice.

Fresh legs for route 1, they were tiring a bit so potentially suspect and i thought they were there for the taking as defensively we were doing ok and frustrating them a lot.

Good call from Ollie in my book.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Substitutions at Preston on 21:37 - Dec 3 with 3096 viewsNorthernr

Should also throw in we've scored more goals from substitutes than anybody else in the league, by a distance, since Olly returned, so he's not too bad with them in general.
Substitutions at Preston on 21:37 - Dec 3 with 3094 viewsdaveB

We didn't have any defenders to bring on, no point making changes for the sake of it, not sure fresh legs would have stopped them scoring, was poor from Smith getting caught offside and then one ball opened us up
Substitutions at Preston on 13:38 - Dec 4 with 2858 viewsTheChef

No great complaints from me given the hand we were dealt with going down to ten men.

My only suggestion would have been throwing Sylla on after going a goal down, rather than waiting till the 94th or 95th minute.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Substitutions at Preston on 14:01 - Dec 4 with 2814 viewsericgen34

Substitutions at Preston on 13:38 - Dec 4 by TheChef

No great complaints from me given the hand we were dealt with going down to ten men.

My only suggestion would have been throwing Sylla on after going a goal down, rather than waiting till the 94th or 95th minute.

He tried to, but there were no stoppages of play for him to come on
Substitutions at Preston on 14:17 - Dec 4 with 2784 viewssimmo

Substitutions at Preston on 21:37 - Dec 3 by Northernr

Should also throw in we've scored more goals from substitutes than anybody else in the league, by a distance, since Olly returned, so he's not too bad with them in general.

Although a good stat, I always take that with a pinch of the Redknapp salt. In that by the end he brings on the players to play closer to the team he could/should have started with. Plenty of times we've ended games with Smith/Sylla and 2 wingers, when we start with none of those things.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Substitutions at Preston on 14:21 - Dec 4 with 2778 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Substitutions at Preston on 14:17 - Dec 4 by simmo

Although a good stat, I always take that with a pinch of the Redknapp salt. In that by the end he brings on the players to play closer to the team he could/should have started with. Plenty of times we've ended games with Smith/Sylla and 2 wingers, when we start with none of those things.

So he can't win really can he?
Login to get fewer ads

Substitutions at Preston on 14:32 - Dec 4 with 2758 viewsbosh67

Not sure we really had anyone to bring on that would have bricked the wall up. Although it did seem odd to bring on Sylla one minute from the end of injury time when that perhaps wasted more time for us than them.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Substitutions at Preston on 14:40 - Dec 4 with 2739 viewsqprd

Substitutions at Preston on 14:17 - Dec 4 by simmo

Agreed. And just to think about this stat from a slightly different angle.

Two weeks ago, we were trailing Villa 2-1 and Bruce brought on Jedinak in the 75th minute. He basically just shielded the back four and marked Smith on the route 1 long balls. Jedinak was brought in as a defensive minded substitution and wasn't ever going to score. Teams like Villa and Wolves who hold leads late in matches are more likely to bring on defensive-minded subs.

By contrast, QPR are usually chasing games after the 60th minute. As a result, all our subs are usually strikers. Some of them will invariably score.

However, the fact that we have so many goals from subs is more a reflection of us playing poorly in the first half and trailing than it is one of Ollie's tactics.
Substitutions at Preston on 15:09 - Dec 4 with 2694 viewsPeterHucker

I was there and I think he brought Smith on because he thought we had a chance of sneaking a 1-0 win. It was the right decision to make. From Mackie's red card to half time it was pretty dire and we looked like we were just parking the bus.
But in the second half we did try and attack them a bit more.
People who weren't there will look at the shots on goal and get the wrong impression of the balance of the game. The second half was fairly even.
I was sitting in the Tom Finney stand amongst the Preston fans and several of them were commenting on how well QPR battled and saying a draw would've been fair.

You mentioned about bringing on fresh legs to shore up the defence, well there was no need for that because the defenders looked fine, none of them were looking tired and we were generally coping ok at the back and in midfield. wouldn't be suspended.
When Mackie was sent off that just left us looking a bit under-manned up front because Washington was up there by himself, that's why it made sense to bring Smith on.
There was a lot to be proud of in QPR's performance on Saturday, every single player gave 110% and it could easily have been a well-earned point or even 3.
Fine margins and all that.
Substitutions at Preston on 17:58 - Dec 4 with 2612 viewssimmo

Substitutions at Preston on 14:21 - Dec 4 by CroydonCaptJack

So he can't win really can he?

Not about not winning, sometimes he made changes and they were excellent and just at the right time. Furlong against Sheff U for example (although that one wouldn't be part of the stats). I'm just making a point that a similar stat could have been used for us getting results for Redknapp after he made changes, but we all remember him actually starting with the likes of Kevin Doyle on LW and then us actually bossing games when he made his changes at half time.

Substitutions at Preston on 18:09 - Dec 4 with 2594 viewsAntti_Heinola

Substitutions at Preston on 17:58 - Dec 4 by simmo

Not about not winning, sometimes he made changes and they were excellent and just at the right time. Furlong against Sheff U for example (although that one wouldn't be part of the stats). I'm just making a point that a similar stat could have been used for us getting results for Redknapp after he made changes, but we all remember him actually starting with the likes of Kevin Doyle on LW and then us actually bossing games when he made his changes at half time.

You mean when Clint Hill made the changes ;)

Bare bones.

Substitutions at Preston on 09:34 - Dec 5 with 2340 viewssimmo

Substitutions at Preston on 18:09 - Dec 4 by Antti_Heinola

You mean when Clint Hill made the changes ;)

Indeed

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024