Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. 15:54 - Dec 7 with 2647 viewsDando

I have noticed a few times in recent years, where we have signed certain clubs "better players", or captains etc only for those teams to actually improve instead of weakening.

- Charlie Austin - signed from Burnley, yet they still went up automatically.
- Freeman - Bristol City now 3rd in the league
- Lynch - Think was captain for Huddersfield if not wrong, then we sign him and they get promoted.
- Smithies (see above)
- Bidwell - Brentford not setting the league alight but finished above us last time round, and ahead of us again this year

Think it shows how important a team work together, rather than just individual talent alone.

Any coincidence and any other examples?
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 23:14 - Dec 7 with 2480 viewsFredManRave

All of Redknapp signings strengthened the sellling team and weakened us.

Ok. Maybe not factually true but Sandro, ffs!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 00:34 - Dec 8 with 2443 viewsPunteR

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 23:14 - Dec 7 by FredManRave

All of Redknapp signings strengthened the sellling team and weakened us.

Ok. Maybe not factually true but Sandro, ffs!

No, i think its factually true.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 00:59 - Dec 8 with 2424 viewsBoston

Spot on Dando, it has often crossed my mind exactly what you have put into words.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 01:11 - Dec 8 with 2423 viewsPunteR

Didnt we go up with Austin?

I get what the OP is saying but isnt that just where we are in the pecking order these days.

In the Sinton interview one of the things that stood out for me was when Steve Perryman the Brentford manager at the time said to him "QPR have come in for you I think it’s time to test yourself in the big time. "
Those days have long gone
[Post edited 8 Dec 2017 1:17]

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 01:38 - Dec 8 with 2408 viewstimcocking

If you look at it the other way, players who we have signed who have either got worse for us or got better after they left us, virtually bloody everybody.
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 01:52 - Dec 8 with 2402 viewsPunteR

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 01:38 - Dec 8 by timcocking

If you look at it the other way, players who we have signed who have either got worse for us or got better after they left us, virtually bloody everybody.

Infrastructure. We are way behind.
Get the training ground sorted and we'll be halfway there imho.

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 04:34 - Dec 8 with 2368 viewsPlanetHonneywood

SWP - Manchester City seemed to have handled the void his departure left rather well, considering it must have been a massive blow to them at the time.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 11:11 - Dec 8 with 2241 viewsAntti_Heinola

Poor old Gorkksy - came to us and Blackpool immediately went up. Then when we did finally go up, Warnock flogged him.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 11:27 - Dec 8 with 2223 viewsdaveB

What it shows is if you sell your best player and use the money well you can improve as a team which is something we'll be looking to do if/when Smithies goes
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 12:27 - Dec 8 with 2182 viewsManinBlack

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 01:11 - Dec 8 by PunteR

I get what the OP is saying but isnt that just where we are in the pecking order these days.

In the Sinton interview one of the things that stood out for me was when Steve Perryman the Brentford manager at the time said to him "QPR have come in for you I think it’s time to test yourself in the big time. "

Very true. It is a difficult thing to accept for us fossils who remember how good we were at times in the top flight. I recall going to a Brentford v Fulham game when they were in the bottom division and having sympathy with their plight whilst we played, and could beat, the big boys. Now they are better than us...

For the record the Bees won 2-0.
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 13:23 - Dec 8 with 2138 viewsheadhoops

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 01:38 - Dec 8 by timcocking

I present Leon Marvin Clarke
QPR - played 14 - goals none, shots on target none, shots off target 8, touches in oppositions box 13.
This season: Played 17 - shots on target 21 goals scored 13.

mind you he has been pants everywhere else....

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 14:03 - Dec 8 with 2114 viewsrsonist

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 11:11 - Dec 8 by Antti_Heinola

Poor old Gorkksy - came to us and Blackpool immediately went up. Then when we did finally go up, Warnock flogged him.

Then he took Reading up and got dumped by them as well (not before he volleyed one in against us of course...)
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 15:02 - Dec 8 with 2074 viewsMrSheen

Damien Delaney left Hull in time to miss out on their first promotion to the top division.
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 23:52 - Dec 8 with 1933 viewsCiderwithRsie

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 01:11 - Dec 8 by PunteR

No, I don't think it's just that. None of the signings in the OP were bad signings and some of them (e.g. Austin) were excellent. The point is that the selling teams were able to sell a player but still progress - either they spent the money well, or they had others ready to step up.

It's not about us being lowly in the pecking order - on the contrary, we were the buying club, all those players saw us as a step up. It's not even about us spending stupidly - that'd be a separate list of players. It's about how good clubs develop, benefit from and then sell on players in strategic way. We need to start doing that.

Selling Sinton and buying Sinclair was a classic example of how to do it. But actually we've never been great at it - the way we spent Les Ferdinand's transfer fee being pretty much "how not to do it."
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 23:58 - Dec 8 with 1931 viewsCiderwithRsie

Incidentally the Perryman quote stood out for me too, I thought it reflected very well on him as a manager who genuinely cared for his players. It struck me that some might say he should have fought to keep Sinton at his club but if you are in the place Brentford were (and we now are) perhaps it is better to have the trust of your players. After all, the club gets to bank the money.
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 07:36 - Dec 9 with 1883 viewsflynnbo

I think I read somewhere that Perryman is a QPR fan. Grew up in the area.
Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 08:11 - Dec 9 with 1870 viewsdaveB

Players we have signed, improving their former teams.. on 07:36 - Dec 9 by flynnbo

I think I read somewhere that Perryman is a QPR fan. Grew up in the area.

He was close to being our manager, was between him and Holloway in 2001
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024