Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mr Holloway 18:16 - Dec 9 with 39371 viewsJogo

Thank you for your effort as both player and manager over the years...but will you please now f@ck off.
Mr Holloway on 22:52 - Dec 12 with 2559 viewsdaveB

Mr Holloway on 15:51 - Dec 12 by WestbourneR

I'm sorry there can be no possible reason to keep Holloway.

If stability means relegation then we should have kept Paul Hart and Mick Harford instead of bringing in Warnock.

It makes no sense. Stability means stable. We're sliding rapidly towards League One.

Ollie HAS to go.

Of course there is someone better, the idea that no one would touch the job is total rubbish - for the vast majority of managers we're a great job to get. If it was your job to find a new manager then you could have a strong shortlist together inside two weeks.

easy to say there is someone better but who is better who is available and won't cost us compensation and can get more out of the current squad?

Of the in work managers I've always liked Lee Johnson but he wouldn't leave Bristol City now, the Barnsley manager has done well but similar to JFH he's at a club with very little pressure which is reasonably well run so no guarantee he'd do well with us. Derek Mcinness looks promising but would he leave Aberdeen after turning down Sunderland and Rangers and would he be any good in England. John Collins and Alan Stubbs looked bright managers in Scotland but absolute clowns when they came down here.

When you look at out of work ones Pullis will get a mention but he's just Redknapp mark 2 and we'd be bonkers to go anywhere near him no matter how well he's done at previous clubs.

We could look abroad and try for an unkown like a David Wagner but not a very easy task to come to a new country and hit the ground running which is what we'd need someone to do.

It may well take 2 weeks to get a strong shortlist but in the next 2 weeks we have 5 matches to play so would be mad to go into those without a manager

QPR have regularly sacked a manager at least once a season since 1996 apart from Holloway, Redknapp and Warnock who all escaped that as they won us promotion, After each of those sackings we rarely got any better so why on earth does anyone think sacking a manager now will make everything alright.

Holloway should get a bare minimum of the christmas period to turn it around and unless he loses all the games and has a meltdown (which is possible) then I don't see the point in changing it at all this season.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 22:56]
Mr Holloway on 00:20 - Dec 13 with 2478 viewsHooped_Pullie

Very sad state of affairs, so many happy memories of Ian's original five and a half year stint at the helm. Not sure it'll get left till after Christmas for the board to deal with if we lose to Brum on Saturday, the decline in results has been going on for quite a while for that. Personally, I'd find it hard to call for the man's head, for all sorts of reasons, most of which have turned up on this thread already. My feelings are irrelevant, though.

I think the whole football club is suffering from the misbegotten notion that you can 'decide' to regroup and settle in a fiercely competitive division, give up any notion of top-six effort, accept that what you have on paper will transfer identically to grass...and avoid disaster. You can't. There's a fine line here between realism and fatalism. We are comfortably on the wrong side of it.

Burnley. The biggest support ? No. One of the top squads in the division ? No. The largest commercial income ? No, one of the smallest. They're currently in the Premier League's top four. Will it last ? Very possibly not, but we're not yet at Christmas and you'd be a brave one to suggest anything other than a top-half finish. Why so good ? Well, ambition coupled with exceptional managerial qualities. It sure ain't rocket science. I will be very sad to see Holloway return to his Sky stool, but if the club is going to put him there we need a paradigm shift. We need to actively seek a young manager whose brief it will be to ignore the club's so-called limitations and make over-performance the norm. The potential is there to improve almost every player in the squad, we don't need clearouts or stupid January sprees. The next manager has to go in looking up, talking up and bringing up. What a bloody opportunity for a person of real quality, whose ambition matches his ability.

Possible candidates ? I have a feeling that Clint Hill will turn out well - learned at the feet of a master, plus plenty of his own qualities to bring to the table. I know he wasn't able to agree a playing contract earlier this year, but he has surely enough history with the club to overcome that relatively minor issue. Alternatively, it must be only a matter of time before someone moves for Graham Potter, who has performed miracles abroad with scarce resources. There may be others who fit this kind of profile, and the club should be looking at them too. Forget the likes of Pulis, totally wrong...and he'll be back at Stoke within weeks, anyway.

The club is currently trying to sell (discounted) memberships and half-season tickets. Most of the commentary surrounding this on social media has been laconically derisory. Doesn't augur well for sales.

Where do we go from here ? Burnley or Bolton ?
Mr Holloway on 02:03 - Dec 13 with 2443 viewsSharpy36

I enjoyed that post HP (Hi by the way, been a long time hope your well) until the Clint hill bit. Not sure if it was this thread or elsewhere that i posted that we should be looking at u21 national teams and reserve team managers around the globe, that have some ambition to step outside their comfort zone and want to move to the next level.
I`m not a fan of this ex players love in we have at QPR, for me it feels to convenient and short sighted, also fan appeasing.
We really do need to look at the long term structure of our club and how we operate in the coming years especially as we have a large fine hanging over us plus a possible transfer embargo.
I would suggest that the club puts in place something that is happening at Southampton where as all players be they first team through to under 15`s are all schooled in the Southampton way of playing and what it means to be a professional footballer on and off the pitch. I understand it`s hard to implement when we as a club seem to be going from one crisis to another almost daily. We at least would`t be waiting for injured players to return or rushing them back to soon to plug gaps as we would have ready made replacements in waiting.

But we can`t do that, can we ?

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Mr Holloway on 02:31 - Dec 13 with 2427 viewseastside_r

Mr Holloway on 02:03 - Dec 13 by Sharpy36

I enjoyed that post HP (Hi by the way, been a long time hope your well) until the Clint hill bit. Not sure if it was this thread or elsewhere that i posted that we should be looking at u21 national teams and reserve team managers around the globe, that have some ambition to step outside their comfort zone and want to move to the next level.
I`m not a fan of this ex players love in we have at QPR, for me it feels to convenient and short sighted, also fan appeasing.
We really do need to look at the long term structure of our club and how we operate in the coming years especially as we have a large fine hanging over us plus a possible transfer embargo.
I would suggest that the club puts in place something that is happening at Southampton where as all players be they first team through to under 15`s are all schooled in the Southampton way of playing and what it means to be a professional footballer on and off the pitch. I understand it`s hard to implement when we as a club seem to be going from one crisis to another almost daily. We at least would`t be waiting for injured players to return or rushing them back to soon to plug gaps as we would have ready made replacements in waiting.

'not a fan of this ex players love in we have at QPR'

Spot on but it's not a just QPR thing, it is endemic in football and fans fall for it all the time.

Getting in a perceived 'club' man is often championed over reason.

Neil Warnock, when he came, was probably reviled by a lot of our support; no links to us at all, but gave us a season+ to remember.
Mr Holloway on 02:36 - Dec 13 with 2424 viewsisawqpratwcity

Mr Holloway on 22:52 - Dec 12 by daveB

easy to say there is someone better but who is better who is available and won't cost us compensation and can get more out of the current squad?

Of the in work managers I've always liked Lee Johnson but he wouldn't leave Bristol City now, the Barnsley manager has done well but similar to JFH he's at a club with very little pressure which is reasonably well run so no guarantee he'd do well with us. Derek Mcinness looks promising but would he leave Aberdeen after turning down Sunderland and Rangers and would he be any good in England. John Collins and Alan Stubbs looked bright managers in Scotland but absolute clowns when they came down here.

When you look at out of work ones Pullis will get a mention but he's just Redknapp mark 2 and we'd be bonkers to go anywhere near him no matter how well he's done at previous clubs.

We could look abroad and try for an unkown like a David Wagner but not a very easy task to come to a new country and hit the ground running which is what we'd need someone to do.

It may well take 2 weeks to get a strong shortlist but in the next 2 weeks we have 5 matches to play so would be mad to go into those without a manager

QPR have regularly sacked a manager at least once a season since 1996 apart from Holloway, Redknapp and Warnock who all escaped that as they won us promotion, After each of those sackings we rarely got any better so why on earth does anyone think sacking a manager now will make everything alright.

Holloway should get a bare minimum of the christmas period to turn it around and unless he loses all the games and has a meltdown (which is possible) then I don't see the point in changing it at all this season.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2017 22:56]

Funnily enough we basically agree.

I do think Holloway should be given grace until Christmas, maybe even the Cardiff game. That's not to say that LF shouldn't be drawing up a target list now.

You may not have noticed that we are in a meltdown now, one point in eighteen is diabolical form. The only redeeming feature is that the teams under us are exhibiting roughly similar results.

It is undeniably true that we have a shit record in replacing managers, so of course it's better not to do that if possible. And I don't see any point in changing managers after the transfer window closes, limited though our transfer options will be then. All Holloway has to do is not have two or three of the lower teams make ground on us. The only goal this season is to take all reasonable precautions to avoid relegation.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Mr Holloway on 07:08 - Dec 13 with 2352 viewsdistortR

Gary Bowyer did a great job at keeping Blackburn stable and has done miracles at Blackpool, both jobs under worse regimes then our present one.

I post this to counteract the argument that there's no-one realistic out there, if I express my real thoughts I know I'll never get to play for Orkney!!

A couple more things;

1) It's possible to fully understand the restrictions Holloway is operating under but still not consider him a competent manager; and
2) It's possible to not want Holloway as manager but to think that Les is doing a good job.

It's not a binary thing..

Maybe black and white is always grey

Mr Holloway on 07:28 - Dec 13 with 2342 viewsdaveB

We've had plenty of managers in recent years with no past connection to the club and only really Warnock and Di Canio had any sort of success. We also tried the reserve/under 21 manager route with Ramsey and fans accused him of being a PE teacher who was over promoted.

Also think Holloway is trying to put in place a style of play at the club and laying down guidelines for how players act off the pitch throughout the club from youth to the first team but none of it really matters when the first team keep losing
Mr Holloway on 07:59 - Dec 13 with 2331 viewsPunteR

Mr Holloway on 00:20 - Dec 13 by Hooped_Pullie

Very sad state of affairs, so many happy memories of Ian's original five and a half year stint at the helm. Not sure it'll get left till after Christmas for the board to deal with if we lose to Brum on Saturday, the decline in results has been going on for quite a while for that. Personally, I'd find it hard to call for the man's head, for all sorts of reasons, most of which have turned up on this thread already. My feelings are irrelevant, though.

I think the whole football club is suffering from the misbegotten notion that you can 'decide' to regroup and settle in a fiercely competitive division, give up any notion of top-six effort, accept that what you have on paper will transfer identically to grass...and avoid disaster. You can't. There's a fine line here between realism and fatalism. We are comfortably on the wrong side of it.

Burnley. The biggest support ? No. One of the top squads in the division ? No. The largest commercial income ? No, one of the smallest. They're currently in the Premier League's top four. Will it last ? Very possibly not, but we're not yet at Christmas and you'd be a brave one to suggest anything other than a top-half finish. Why so good ? Well, ambition coupled with exceptional managerial qualities. It sure ain't rocket science. I will be very sad to see Holloway return to his Sky stool, but if the club is going to put him there we need a paradigm shift. We need to actively seek a young manager whose brief it will be to ignore the club's so-called limitations and make over-performance the norm. The potential is there to improve almost every player in the squad, we don't need clearouts or stupid January sprees. The next manager has to go in looking up, talking up and bringing up. What a bloody opportunity for a person of real quality, whose ambition matches his ability.

Possible candidates ? I have a feeling that Clint Hill will turn out well - learned at the feet of a master, plus plenty of his own qualities to bring to the table. I know he wasn't able to agree a playing contract earlier this year, but he has surely enough history with the club to overcome that relatively minor issue. Alternatively, it must be only a matter of time before someone moves for Graham Potter, who has performed miracles abroad with scarce resources. There may be others who fit this kind of profile, and the club should be looking at them too. Forget the likes of Pulis, totally wrong...and he'll be back at Stoke within weeks, anyway.

The club is currently trying to sell (discounted) memberships and half-season tickets. Most of the commentary surrounding this on social media has been laconically derisory. Doesn't augur well for sales.

Good post.
Not sure about Hill either, maybe in a few years, who knows.?
I think we're way behind Burnley for comparisons. We're miles too late for that and unfortunately we're going the Bolton road.
We're a club on its way down still, with big earners that are coming to the end of their contracts. Things havnt levelled out yet.
If we drop to L1 i think we have the players to get back out of it and it would probably be an enjoyable season. Be nice to see us top 3 or 4. Or even win the damn thing!
I think we need to keep Holloway till the end of the season and see where we go from there.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Mr Holloway on 08:28 - Dec 13 with 2302 viewsozranger

Speaking of overseas international managers, I would be interested to hear what the other Aussies think about putting forward Ange Postecoglou? He managed Australia to qualify for the next WC and then resigned as he wanted to go to better pastures with better challenges. He has a history of bringing through youth at his past clubs, prior to taking up the national position.

By the way, I am in the non-sack group and this is only a theoretical question.
Mr Holloway on 08:47 - Dec 13 with 2286 viewsTheChef

You mention Burnley - Lee Hoos used to be Chief Exec there. And I'd like to think some of the success they're enjoying now came from decisions that he made a few years ago.

It didn't happen overnight for them, and it's not going to happen overnight for us either. But despite the limitations of our playing squad, as a club you have to say things are moving in the right direction.

I can't believe the poster above who said we're a shambles on and off the pitch - fine if you want to say that on the playing side, but off the pitch we're doing a huge amount of good work (Grenfell game, Forever Rs, food bank collection, community work). And given all the sh1t that has gone before with various useless owners and chief execs, that makes me proud of QPR as a club - whatever division we're playing in.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Mr Holloway on 08:53 - Dec 13 with 2277 viewsozexile

Mr Holloway on 08:28 - Dec 13 by ozranger

Speaking of overseas international managers, I would be interested to hear what the other Aussies think about putting forward Ange Postecoglou? He managed Australia to qualify for the next WC and then resigned as he wanted to go to better pastures with better challenges. He has a history of bringing through youth at his past clubs, prior to taking up the national position.

By the way, I am in the non-sack group and this is only a theoretical question.

He's a good coach but I just don't believe he'd be a good fit. I was on a FFA coaching course and the lecturer raved about him.
If he did come in it certainly wouldn't be an overnight miracle job he'd want 3 or years to turn things round.
Mr Holloway on 09:00 - Dec 13 with 2270 viewsDejR_vu

We absolutely have to stay in this division. I don't think the odd loan signing, given that it's not going to be the goal scoring striker everyone wants, is going to make a jot of difference. I would sign no-one and spend the money on paying McCLaren whatever he wants, before someone else does, to come in for 6 months and coach what's already here. Try and get the defence more solid, and try and get the midfield scoring.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Mr Holloway on 09:57 - Dec 13 with 2211 viewsHooparoo

Mr Holloway on 08:53 - Dec 13 by ozexile

He's a good coach but I just don't believe he'd be a good fit. I was on a FFA coaching course and the lecturer raved about him.
If he did come in it certainly wouldn't be an overnight miracle job he'd want 3 or years to turn things round.

It crossed my mind too to suggest Ange but he has a massive ego so not sure how he’d go copping it from some of our “fans” every week. He certainly does build good teams that play good football and has now done it several times including with the national team. He claims to be inspired by Marcelo Bielsa who also has Pep and Pochetino as members of his fan club. Maybe we should just get Bielsa. He’s available as he’s on the list for the now vacant Aussie job.

Doubt he’d be dumb enough to come here
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 9:59]

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Mr Holloway on 09:58 - Dec 13 with 2209 viewsHitch

The more managers we sack the more we slide. If we go down, we go down together with dignity. IF we sack Ollie I think I will go outside for awhile. Our current predicament is not of his doing, it began when we first sacked Warnock. wish the rest could have been a Bobby Ewing dream-nightmare.
Mr Holloway on 10:10 - Dec 13 with 2191 viewsozexile

Mr Holloway on 09:57 - Dec 13 by Hooparoo

It crossed my mind too to suggest Ange but he has a massive ego so not sure how he’d go copping it from some of our “fans” every week. He certainly does build good teams that play good football and has now done it several times including with the national team. He claims to be inspired by Marcelo Bielsa who also has Pep and Pochetino as members of his fan club. Maybe we should just get Bielsa. He’s available as he’s on the list for the now vacant Aussie job.

Doubt he’d be dumb enough to come here
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 9:59]

Yeah he wouldn't work under Les that's for sure,
Mr Holloway on 10:50 - Dec 13 with 2150 viewsisawqpratwcity

I got the idea that he was going to head to China to cash in on his successful Asian profile.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Mr Holloway on 10:52 - Dec 13 with 2147 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Mr Holloway on 09:58 - Dec 13 by Hitch

The more managers we sack the more we slide. If we go down, we go down together with dignity. IF we sack Ollie I think I will go outside for awhile. Our current predicament is not of his doing, it began when we first sacked Warnock. wish the rest could have been a Bobby Ewing dream-nightmare.

Great post and exactly the point.
Mr Holloway on 11:10 - Dec 13 with 2120 viewsCamberleyR

" it must be only a matter of time before someone moves for Graham Potter, who has performed miracles abroad with scarce resources."

I'm in the "not change the manager mid-season again" corner but if TF ever did pull the trigger then Graham Potter might not be a bad shout. This article on the BBC Sport site was originally published a month ago and has been updated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41902664

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Mr Holloway on 11:19 - Dec 13 with 2095 viewspaulparker

we have to win on Saturday , just for the fact we have to make it difficult for Birmingham to gain ground on us and keep our points buffer , if we lose I seriously think we are down , as I think Sunderland will get out of it somehow leaving us as the team who is going to slide
the more this goes on the more it reminds me of Ollys last season in 04/05 ie bizarre team selections , chopping and changing formations and just general hoofball
id hate to see the fans turn on him as I think he deserves a bit more than that
id still give him until the end of the season I like the idea of QPR people being in charge of the club , I like what we are trying to do with les, sinton, penrice and mel Johnson, and maybe we have to have a few lows before it does get better
I don't think the board are doing us any favours either , the ticket prices are keeping people away , for what we are paying fans expect better than lumping it to smith after going 2 down our away support is terrible (not that I blame people ) why should people bother if we treat them like bonus games ,
if we are to try and change something then lets get Gerry back to help Olly even if its to organise the defence

in saying all of that if you offered me the chance to watch us in the championship paying 35/40 quid to watch us draw against Burton or £20/25 to play against Charlton or Wimbledon I know which one I would go for

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Mr Holloway on 11:45 - Dec 13 with 2059 viewsTacticalR

Mr Holloway on 11:19 - Dec 13 by paulparker

we have to win on Saturday , just for the fact we have to make it difficult for Birmingham to gain ground on us and keep our points buffer , if we lose I seriously think we are down , as I think Sunderland will get out of it somehow leaving us as the team who is going to slide
the more this goes on the more it reminds me of Ollys last season in 04/05 ie bizarre team selections , chopping and changing formations and just general hoofball
id hate to see the fans turn on him as I think he deserves a bit more than that
id still give him until the end of the season I like the idea of QPR people being in charge of the club , I like what we are trying to do with les, sinton, penrice and mel Johnson, and maybe we have to have a few lows before it does get better
I don't think the board are doing us any favours either , the ticket prices are keeping people away , for what we are paying fans expect better than lumping it to smith after going 2 down our away support is terrible (not that I blame people ) why should people bother if we treat them like bonus games ,
if we are to try and change something then lets get Gerry back to help Olly even if its to organise the defence

in saying all of that if you offered me the chance to watch us in the championship paying 35/40 quid to watch us draw against Burton or £20/25 to play against Charlton or Wimbledon I know which one I would go for

I agree that Birmingham is a key game. They have only scored 10 all season so it's the battle of the blanks.

Air hostess clique

Mr Holloway on 12:03 - Dec 13 with 2035 viewsstevec

Good post, though I think a little too early for Hill.

Your 2nd paragraph is a much better worded version of what I've been saying for nearly 3 years. The club, and a fair amount of fans on this board, trying to persuade that 'consolidation's what you need' has proven as fatalistic as I'd imagined it would.

This submissive attitude needs to change all round or the club will continue to decline.
Mr Holloway on 12:30 - Dec 13 with 2005 viewsYorkRanger

There are some really good, sensible posts in this thread. Less rhetoric and emotion and more an acceptance of the very difficult position that we find ourselves in.

My position at the start of the season was to give Holloway the whole season and tough out the low points of which there were certain to be a number. I really do wonder who we would attract as manager if he left as the club must now be a very unattractive proposition.

Despite the financial challenges and injury crisis, some of Holloway's selections have been puzzling but nobody knows what happens behind the scenes. I do think he needs more help and whilst I love Bircham for his love of Rangers and I don't have any real idea of what he does behind the scenes (positive or negative) I cant escape an underlying feeling that he isn't the heavyweight that Holloway needs by his side.

So my view remains grit the teeth for a bit longer and hope for the lucky break and that the tide turns a little. Having said that if we lose Saturday and against Bristol City I suspect the Board will be ready to pull the trigger.

Dark days generally...
Mr Holloway on 12:36 - Dec 13 with 1992 viewsWestbourneR

Mr Holloway on 11:10 - Dec 13 by CamberleyR

" it must be only a matter of time before someone moves for Graham Potter, who has performed miracles abroad with scarce resources."

I'm in the "not change the manager mid-season again" corner but if TF ever did pull the trigger then Graham Potter might not be a bad shout. This article on the BBC Sport site was originally published a month ago and has been updated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41902664

I'd rather go down having taken a punt on someone like Graham Potter than slide into the League One as an angry relic the huff and puff football of ten years ago. Holloway is just grinding the players down that were doing well and destroying the confidence of the players that don't get a decent go.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Mr Holloway on 12:36 - Dec 13 with 1991 viewsW7Ranger

Mr Holloway on 19:16 - Dec 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Prolific!

I never said he was prolific.

You said apart from Man City you didn't think he'd scored anything with his head, I'm just providing you with other goals where he has fella.

I've also thought of another couple. Man U away and Leicester away.

So that's at least 5 with his head which isn't exactly terrible when you consider that heading is not really his strength, nor is he a target man as such.

As you were...
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 12:52]
Mr Holloway on 12:39 - Dec 13 with 1984 viewsDando

I dont want Ollie sacked, but it does feel like someone needs to get him to rethink our game plan. We don't want people interfering with his tactics, but I fear he is being too stubborn and complicating things too much.

What happened to the quick attractive football we have been playing this season? Even when we were not winning, we were playing some lovely football, just not finishing teams off. Now we seem to have gone backwards in our style and quality of play. Cant keep trying the same thing every week and expecting better results.

If Ollie can address making things more simple and less over complicated, I'm sure he can get back on the right path
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024