Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your Radio Phone In Experiences. 19:50 - Dec 10 with 8963 viewsDiscodroids

Back in the wilderness years, When I was held in cruel abeyance by the bitter sweet grains of the south american quaker oats working as a non marine insurance broker in the square mile, I was listening to my hero John Foxx on the rusty Egan Show talking about his bespoke minimoog esoteric craft working within the sphere, Parameters and confines of electronic dance music.

As was the zeitgeist of the times, i was rassed to sweet heavenly f uck and ripped to the tits on a couple of wraps of high grade sawtooth cut translucent petrol washed kibble , while i listened to Foxx, impart to the listener, how his music was the tesseract that ignited modern day house, Techno , trance, subculture and beyond.

Gripped as i was with augmented sensorial waves of pleasure flashing across my mind with insight after insight as the Plaistow kibble elevated me to new levels of understanding and transcending dimensions of time and space, I decided to call up bbc radio 6 and impress Foxx by drawing key and pertinent ley lines between his seminal works with Tangerine Dream, Can , Progressive Kraut Rock and underground clubs of that era such as The Mudd Club , Samsara, Gardening Club and 'Whoop it up' at the astoria.

Moreover, i ventured to myself, that His work was a natural extension of The BBC Radiophonic workshop and thus the very Flint that sparked his (John Foxx's), transportation Into the epicenter of the electronica dojo when the likes of Andy Gibb, barbra streisand, Showaddywaddy and Tina Charles dominated the charts and the muso tv shows at that time in Bleak, grey, smileys circus late 70's Britain. No Fun.

Unfortunately the f ucking c unts put me on hold for 40 minutes and the gear had run down, no longer coursing through my system, but leaving me flatter than karen carpenter doing the limbo. By the time i got on air all i could mumble to the high sensi of electronica was ' err,,,Have,,err,, you got any new,,err,, projects in the,,err,, offering John?'. Suffice to say i was treated with the disdain that i so richly deserved, as Foxx curtly replied 'No' And Rusty Egan snorted in disgust.

and that was that.

I did once manage to phone in to LBC to ask wilf slack and john emburey when simon hughes would replace norman cowans in the middlesex first 11 but alas i was only 13 and the kibble was another world away..
[Post edited 10 Dec 2017 19:54]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 23:15 - Dec 11 with 2789 viewsPunteR

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 22:49 - Dec 11 by enfieldargh

Voodoo Ray

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 03:20 - Dec 12 with 2726 viewsDannyPaddox

I phoned LBC late one night in the 80s and spoke to Diana Dors. I put on a Scottish accent and asked if she enjoyed working with Adam Ant in the music video for Prince Charming. I can't remember what she said but she was very nice. Sadly she died a few months later.
Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 09:31 - Dec 12 with 2670 viewsSilverfoxqpr

As a 14 year old full of testosterone I recall phoning Alan 'Fluff' Freeman whilst he was presenting the rock show on Capital. Memory fails me to an extent but the jist of it was me complaining there being 'too much Maiden and not enough Priest' on his show. Anyway long story short he played Priest for me not long after bless him.

Far more importantly good to see you back Disco! Here in the Ivory Towers in the big city I'm up to my ears in the Non Marine Retro renewal so if you find yourself at a loose end.............
Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 10:26 - Dec 12 with 2633 viewsBrightonhoop

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 03:20 - Dec 12 by DannyPaddox

I phoned LBC late one night in the 80s and spoke to Diana Dors. I put on a Scottish accent and asked if she enjoyed working with Adam Ant in the music video for Prince Charming. I can't remember what she said but she was very nice. Sadly she died a few months later.

...if Danny Paddox fones i'm not in. He fones people, they die....
Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 11:56 - Dec 12 with 2597 viewspeejaybee

They did not have phone ins on the BBC Light Programme or Home Service.!!!!!!

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 12:01 - Dec 12 with 2593 viewsEsox_Lucius

I won a Captital Radio shower radio for correctly identifying the opening lyric of "Rock The Casbah" on Chris Tarrant's early morning breakfast show in the early 2000's There wasn't an awful lot of interaction TBH but I do still have the radio LOL

The grass is always greener.

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 12:27 - Dec 12 with 2581 viewsDiscodroids

Two Eternal Stone Cold Classic calls to the Alan Brazil Breakfast show .

1. 2 minutes 49 secs. A Caller rings into Arthur Albiston demanding that the Herts Goalkeeper should be selected for the scotland Squad.

2. 4 mins 50 sec. A caller sounding like the Peter Sellers doctor from the 'Goodness Gracious me' 7" single, laments the high pressurised environment of the modern day sports star, but has an evangelical Solution.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 12:52 - Dec 12 with 2560 viewsCamberleyR

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 12:27 - Dec 12 by Discodroids

1. 2 minutes 49 secs. A Caller rings into Arthur Albiston demanding that the Herts Goalkeeper should be selected for the scotland Squad.

2. 4 mins 50 sec. A caller sounding like the Peter Sellers doctor from the 'Goodness Gracious me' 7" single, laments the high pressurised environment of the modern day sports star, but has an evangelical Solution.

Remember hearing that Athur Albiston clip years ago in the early days of H&J. Seemed to be a favourite in their annual clips of the year at Xmas.

"He's no finished. He's only 28"

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 13:04 - Dec 12 with 2549 viewsDannyPaddox

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 10:26 - Dec 12 by Brightonhoop

...if Danny Paddox fones i'm not in. He fones people, they die....

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 13:07 - Dec 12 with 2541 viewsR_from_afar

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 10:49 - Dec 11 by Discodroids

No Problem Guv'nor. You can have my digital radio as well.

As a 51 year old Man of high academia at the apex of cutting edge utopian technologies, I tried using my digital radio for the first time this morning, (An unwanted gift from the Chigwell mother in law last christmas), all i could get tuned in was was facking Chris evans and his sycophantic diddymen braying with hilarity at his every whim and topical insight interspersed with Level 42, Ed Sheeran, Doctor Hook and a submissive master and servant interview with Jamie Oliver who imparted from up on high, the correct way to wash your facking christmas vegetables only in natural spring waters.

How can any being listen to this of their own free will?.

In balls of confusion, I wandered into my leigh on sea botanical Tranquility gardens much like lizard king Jim Morrison in his Baron John leather trousers armed with a tincture of uncultured peyote circumnavigating the deep Arizona desert to unlock the mysteries of the world.

I feel your pain. My dentist was playing Chris Evans the last time I was there, and I am going back in early January. I can hardly wait.

I have had two radio 'phone-in moments:
- After one of my first trips to see Rangers play, I was c0ck a hoop and rang TalkSport on the way back home. I probably sounded even more of a div than normal because I knew very little about QPR back then, and the broadcaster tried to catch me out with some " qualifying questions" while I was waiting to go live, but somehow, I got on and burbled away excitedly about Kevin Gallen. Ah the memories... We had actually won a soddin' game

- Very late one night in the 1980s, I rang Radio Luxembourg to join one of their live 'phone-ins. The DJ was giving callers very short shrift - mainly because most of them were choc-full of stimulants and talking gibberish in silly voices - but I held my nerve and managed to blurt out two jokes, both of which were sufficiently amusing and comprehensible for the DJ to exclaim: "What a man!" before I hastily rang off.

Arguably my finest hour, but undeniably a long, long time ago

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 13:21 - Dec 12 with 2529 viewsBoston

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 12:27 - Dec 12 by Discodroids

But you can understand Albiston's concern, appointing an English county level goalkeeper to a full blown international is quite a step!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 16:03 - Dec 12 with 2455 viewsqprxtc

Many moons ago (mid 80's?) Mick Channon was on LBC blathering on about his autobiography, horses and windmilling arms.

I rang up and asked what he thought of QPR and our artfificial pitch as I felt there had been a distinct lack of QPR related blathering and it needed to be sorted.

Can't remember what he said now but he sounded slightly discombobulated . I'd done my bit and left him to his autobiographical nonsense.
Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 16:21 - Dec 12 with 2436 viewsBoston

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 16:03 - Dec 12 by qprxtc

Many moons ago (mid 80's?) Mick Channon was on LBC blathering on about his autobiography, horses and windmilling arms.

I rang up and asked what he thought of QPR and our artfificial pitch as I felt there had been a distinct lack of QPR related blathering and it needed to be sorted.

Can't remember what he said now but he sounded slightly discombobulated . I'd done my bit and left him to his autobiographical nonsense.

Vaguely recall that interview, don't think you were the only one to make a slightly off subject call.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 18:38 - Nov 9 with 1701 viewsDiscodroids

A few weeks ago I called up acid jazz high sensei 'Omar', who had a few top ten hits in the early 90's, on Radio BBC Essex, as he was promoting his nostalgia tour and appearing 5 minutes away from my drum at the Boatyard In leigh on sea.

Having waited enough time on the phone to Master the high teachings of Umayyad Dynasty Islamic Textile Studies, i was finally patched through on a line that was more full of static than the Apollo 15 line to Houston as they circumnavigated the Mons Hadley.

Being a saturday night I was obviously cu nted out of fu cking skate on dirty booze and thus emboldened to the point where i felt a kinship of sorts with Omar.

Over the piss poor line, i ventured to the Talkin' Loud Dingwalls kingpin That He was heavily influenced in his early body of work by Donald Byrd, Larry Fonce Mizzell, Ramsey lewis, Johnny Hammond and Gary Bartz, who were in point of fact tapping the creative source that lurked dormant within, and That Dj Patrick Forge and Dj Jay Strongman of the shake and fingerpop collective, were an organic conduit of some higher nature who showcased his Dirty Funk to a clued up element, who in turn, have remained staunch and loyal for the last 25 years to his Music.

Omar replied 'Patrick Who Mate?', before i was cut off and returned to 'Tales of the unexpected' on Itv 4. And the fuc king booze had run out. What a Bastard.

[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 19:38]

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 19:43 - Nov 9 with 1628 viewsjonno

I always used to have quite a bit of fun tracking down the local radio sports programme phone-in as we drove away from an away win (in the days when we did actually win some away games). These programmes were always chock full of locals calling in bemoaning the "useless manager", "rubbish players" etc. after they had just lost at home to us. It was actually surprising how many various places round the country would have the same kind of format. Anyway, my mate would be driving and we would tune in to the local station where they would be pleading for people to call in to talk about "today's game". Obviously they were only interested in hearing the views of the home supporters but you just had to pretend to be a local and they would put you through to the host. At that point you would just say "never mind about Ipswich (or whoever), what about that superb performance by Rangers winning so comfortably?" Cue programme host taken completely by surprise but he could not really cut you off so was forced to quickly agree and try to get rid of you ASAP.
We used to p1ss ourselves laughing.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2018 19:44]
Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 20:23 - Nov 9 with 1601 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Anyone from the NE?

Remember Night Owls?
Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 21:40 - Nov 9 with 1563 viewsEsox_Lucius

I still have a Capital Radio shower radio I won on the Chris Tarrant morning show for being the first person to ring in re recognising the first line of Rock The Casbah. Nothing special about the appearance; he just announced my name and asked me to give my answer, which I did, followed by stay on the line and one of the assistants will take your details.
I once had a 3-4 minute interview played on Sky before we played Liverpool at home. I remember one of the questions being along the lines of "Who do you think will win today?" (insightful, cutting edge interviewing eh?) My response was along the lines of "Hmm, Liverpool are doing really well at the moment, as well as always beating us and we are struggling so we will probably win comfortably". A suitably patronising comment followed that gem and QPR went on to win 2-1.

The grass is always greener.

Your Radio Phone In Experiences. on 23:44 - Nov 9 with 1521 viewssmegma

I rang James O'Brien on LBC once. It was a day of a tube strike about 10-12 years ago. Boris Johnson was Mayor. He wanted questions to ask him when he went live on radio at a picket line. My question ???
Boris, last year I lost 4 days pay due to strike action. During the strike you called RMT members 'trouble making militants'. The strike was opposing the PPP scheme. A year later PPP collapsed leaving a £10m black hole in London Underground's finances. As we've been proven correct in our opposition to PPP, can I have my 4 days pay back please ?

So James got him on the phone and asked him. He ran off down the street claiming 'that's an unfair question, what, what , erm...'

( PPP =Private Public Partnership- whereby all internal maintenance jobs were given to private companies)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024