Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too narrow! 12:56 - Dec 11 with 2467 viewsDando

As some others are saying, its driving me crazy that week after week we are playing so narrow. Our strikers are average at best, so need as much service as possible. Why are we therefore playing without wingers?

Pavel was one of our best signings last years, yet hes been pushed back to wing back or right back. When will we see him back on the wing? Wheeler was signed as a a goalscoring winger, yet plays wingback or not at all. Samuel - once again same story.

I understand that we are trying to accommodate the trio in the middle, but the whole team is suffering as a result of it, and its not working anymore. Surely you can play 2 wingers, Scowen and Luongo in the middle, and freeman just behind the striker?

We are so predictable at the moment, and it feel more of a shock to score a goal, let alone expecting a win.
Too narrow! on 15:10 - Dec 11 with 2363 viewsvegasranger

Watching the game on TV on Saturday I felt the same. Chair looks a very talented young winger but he seemed to play in the middle. The big three, what is the plan? Scowen doesn't give the defence the protection I was expecting. Freeman is the only real attacking threat of the three. Poor coaching and poor planning.
Too narrow! on 20:17 - Dec 11 with 2241 viewsDorse

It has been a long time since i have been described as too narrow.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Too narrow! on 20:44 - Dec 11 with 2208 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I actually thought we played with a lot of width but not very effectively. We put in an amount of crosses but they came from our two full-backs. Bidwell's were floated in from deep and were easily dealt with. Pawel's were from dangerous positions on the byline but weren't always great quality.

As Bidwell isn't really the type of full-back to skin his man I think that his crosses will always come from deep and I can't see any improvement forthcoming. Either way Bidwell needs help over there so we can go two v one's to help us get to the byline. There is every reason to think that Pawel's will improve as they have been very good in the past.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Too narrow! on 23:34 - Dec 11 with 2151 viewsbob566

Too narrow! on 20:44 - Dec 11 by BrianMcCarthy

I actually thought we played with a lot of width but not very effectively. We put in an amount of crosses but they came from our two full-backs. Bidwell's were floated in from deep and were easily dealt with. Pawel's were from dangerous positions on the byline but weren't always great quality.

As Bidwell isn't really the type of full-back to skin his man I think that his crosses will always come from deep and I can't see any improvement forthcoming. Either way Bidwell needs help over there so we can go two v one's to help us get to the byline. There is every reason to think that Pawel's will improve as they have been very good in the past.

the game has evolved. Utd play with Valencia and young as wing backs. not great defensively but good going forward. maybe time to switch Pavel and manning to wingbacks. it's not like we're keeping clean sheets anyway
Too narrow! on 23:56 - Dec 11 with 2125 viewsbosh67

Too narrow! on 23:34 - Dec 11 by bob566

the game has evolved. Utd play with Valencia and young as wing backs. not great defensively but good going forward. maybe time to switch Pavel and manning to wingbacks. it's not like we're keeping clean sheets anyway

The game may have evolved but it means having players that can do the job. We don't. We have a collection of forward running proper wingers and they should be deployed as such. If we don't cross from the edge of the box and from the byline to our forwards our season is only going one way.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Too narrow! on 00:11 - Dec 12 with 2111 viewsbob566

Too narrow! on 23:56 - Dec 11 by bosh67

The game may have evolved but it means having players that can do the job. We don't. We have a collection of forward running proper wingers and they should be deployed as such. If we don't cross from the edge of the box and from the byline to our forwards our season is only going one way.

My point exactly. Young and Valencia are wingers. It means the Two ahead of them Martial and mikatarian need to drop back defensively if needed. I don't think bidwell can do it myself. Arsenal do it with monreal and thbellarin. Spurs with Davies, rose etc. It's how the top teams play now. That's why we need to try manning and Pavel. In saying that those top teams have fernindino, cante, matic to cover. Can scowen do that.
Too narrow! on 00:44 - Dec 12 with 2095 viewsbosh67

Too narrow! on 00:11 - Dec 12 by bob566

My point exactly. Young and Valencia are wingers. It means the Two ahead of them Martial and mikatarian need to drop back defensively if needed. I don't think bidwell can do it myself. Arsenal do it with monreal and thbellarin. Spurs with Davies, rose etc. It's how the top teams play now. That's why we need to try manning and Pavel. In saying that those top teams have fernindino, cante, matic to cover. Can scowen do that.

It''s a tough one. I love Scowen. I love his work rate and resolve. But... over the past few weeks he has won the ball in tight spots (good) and then run, looked up and immediately popped the ball straight to the opposition midfielder running at him. It may well be that he is suffering a bit of a dip in form but on Saturday we had Luongo advanced, Freeman advanced and Chair advanced and just Scowen clearing up. Every time he looked up he had all three of those players 20 yards away standing on top of each other. No sign of anyone wide or anywhere, so he gave the ball away.

If you are going to play a narrow midfield line it has to move and change shape. Gigi De Canio did it brilliantly because he coached a system where players moved in and out from the wings and they did it to great effect. Buz, Rowlands, Ainsworth and Hogan.

Manning has done well in central midfield but he's a left winger, not a wingback. Same for Samuel, Wheeler, Pavel, Petrasso etc. All out and out wingers not playing as wingers.

People have a go at Smith, Sylla and even Washington but how often are they in the area on the end of a deep cross? How often are they receiving a ball wide 30 yards out or 40 yards out with their backs to goal? These players should be 'goal hanging' as they used to say.

It all feels like a bloke trying to serve up lobster and Gratin dauphinois and doing it badly when he should be serving fish and chips, which is what he and the team can deliver.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Too narrow! on 01:03 - Dec 12 with 2079 viewsbob566

Too narrow! on 00:44 - Dec 12 by bosh67

It''s a tough one. I love Scowen. I love his work rate and resolve. But... over the past few weeks he has won the ball in tight spots (good) and then run, looked up and immediately popped the ball straight to the opposition midfielder running at him. It may well be that he is suffering a bit of a dip in form but on Saturday we had Luongo advanced, Freeman advanced and Chair advanced and just Scowen clearing up. Every time he looked up he had all three of those players 20 yards away standing on top of each other. No sign of anyone wide or anywhere, so he gave the ball away.

If you are going to play a narrow midfield line it has to move and change shape. Gigi De Canio did it brilliantly because he coached a system where players moved in and out from the wings and they did it to great effect. Buz, Rowlands, Ainsworth and Hogan.

Manning has done well in central midfield but he's a left winger, not a wingback. Same for Samuel, Wheeler, Pavel, Petrasso etc. All out and out wingers not playing as wingers.

People have a go at Smith, Sylla and even Washington but how often are they in the area on the end of a deep cross? How often are they receiving a ball wide 30 yards out or 40 yards out with their backs to goal? These players should be 'goal hanging' as they used to say.

It all feels like a bloke trying to serve up lobster and Gratin dauphinois and doing it badly when he should be serving fish and chips, which is what he and the team can deliver.

Something has to change. Teams have worked us out. We always start with scowen, Freeman and lloungo. We're one dimential. Maybe even scowen defensively with manning ahead of him. Scowen wins it, short five yard pass to manning or Freeman who spread play wide. 1 pt in 17 says we need to try something differently.
Login to get fewer ads

Too narrow! on 03:10 - Dec 12 with 2056 viewsozexile

Too narrow! on 01:03 - Dec 12 by bob566

Something has to change. Teams have worked us out. We always start with scowen, Freeman and lloungo. We're one dimential. Maybe even scowen defensively with manning ahead of him. Scowen wins it, short five yard pass to manning or Freeman who spread play wide. 1 pt in 17 says we need to try something differently.

We do. The fact that every game we're throwing on smith and launching long balls and hoping for the best suggests Plan A is not fit for purpose.
Too narrow! on 03:14 - Dec 12 with 2054 views18StoneOfHoop

"It all feels like a bloke trying to serve up lobster and Gratin dauphinois and doing it badly when he should be serving fish and chips, which is what he and the team can deliver."

Like Aubrey's restaurant!

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Too narrow! on 07:18 - Dec 12 with 1985 viewsdistortR

Is there a vegetarian alternative available?

If not, i cannot agree with you on principle.

And NO, i do NOT eat fish.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024