Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFC Wimbledon 12:52 - Dec 13 with 6123 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

New ground approved and on Plough Lane no less.

Great stuff and true success story.

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2017/december/afc-wimbledon-gets-permission-
AFC Wimbledon on 13:25 - Dec 13 with 6051 viewsstevec

Good, pleased for them.

How's Tony's ground hunt going?
AFC Wimbledon on 13:44 - Dec 13 with 6018 viewssimmo

Brilliant stuff, have that MK you cúnts.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

AFC Wimbledon on 13:47 - Dec 13 with 6012 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

AFC Wimbledon on 13:44 - Dec 13 by simmo

9 division head start and back exactly in the same place.
AFC Wimbledon on 14:16 - Dec 13 with 5947 viewsMick_S

Don't say that - might all go off again. Terrifying.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

AFC Wimbledon on 14:38 - Dec 13 with 5896 viewsLythamR

Very pleased for them. Huge step forward
AFC Wimbledon on 15:29 - Dec 13 with 5813 viewssmegma

The ONLY club I despise.
AFC Wimbledon on 16:57 - Dec 13 with 5736 viewsHarbour

On the site of the old greyhound speedway stadium...literally across the road from the old Wimbledon FC ground...we should have bought the old white city stadium site before the bbc got it...
AFC Wimbledon on 17:01 - Dec 13 with 5726 viewstoboboly

Great stuff - unless you are Kingstonian FC

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

AFC Wimbledon on 17:13 - Dec 13 with 5706 viewsBrianMcCarthy

AFC Wimbledon on 17:01 - Dec 13 by toboboly

Toboboly,

I'm delighted for Wimbledon, but what are the implications for Kingtonians?

Thanks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

AFC Wimbledon on 17:15 - Dec 13 with 5699 viewsMrSheen

Or a greyhound.

Are Chelsea Women getting bigger crowds than the Ks used to?
AFC Wimbledon on 17:20 - Dec 13 with 5690 viewsToast_R

Basically AFC sold Kingsmeadow to Chelsea for their ladies team and Kingstonians as tenants are not wanted there anymore so are in effect, homeless. Harsh but then this was always on the cards, AFC had made no secret of their desire to move back to Merton in the future. Kingstonians would have probably gone to the wall years ago anyway without the investments of AFC.

As for the Greyhounds, the stadium and surrounding area was in a state of disrepair and needed major investment. There was no way that investment would have been on the back of a re-developed greyhound stadium for a niche clientele for a sport that is dying on it's arse. A newly developed football stadium in a diverse community was always going to be a far more popular choice.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2017 17:24]
AFC Wimbledon on 18:18 - Dec 13 with 5625 views2Thomas2Bowles

AFC Wimbledon on 17:20 - Dec 13 by Toast_R

Basically AFC sold Kingsmeadow to Chelsea for their ladies team and Kingstonians as tenants are not wanted there anymore so are in effect, homeless. Harsh but then this was always on the cards, AFC had made no secret of their desire to move back to Merton in the future. Kingstonians would have probably gone to the wall years ago anyway without the investments of AFC.

As for the Greyhounds, the stadium and surrounding area was in a state of disrepair and needed major investment. There was no way that investment would have been on the back of a re-developed greyhound stadium for a niche clientele for a sport that is dying on it's arse. A newly developed football stadium in a diverse community was always going to be a far more popular choice.

I remember many a rainy night watching the speedway and banger racing there.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

AFC Wimbledon on 18:28 - Dec 13 with 5608 viewsMrSheen

AFC Wimbledon on 17:20 - Dec 13 by Toast_R

I used to go the dogs a lot in the 80s with a friend who lived locally as it was about the same price as a night in the pub, and the local pubs were terrible. I didn't go for about 20 years but went back about 5 years ago. I was shocked at how shabby and run down it was, having been so lively before. I won't miss it, but I felt a bit sorry for the people who lost their entertainment and won't get it elsewhere.
AFC Wimbledon on 19:16 - Dec 13 with 5558 viewscolinallcars

BBC local news just said AFC Wimbledon back at Plough Lane after 14 years in Milton Keynes.....
AFC Wimbledon on 19:22 - Dec 13 with 5551 viewsflynnbo

Used to enjoy going down to the dogs having a flutter and seeing Vinnie Jones and Jimmy White although the former will hopefully never be asked to be in the Forever Rs. Also, meant my car booting days were over when the deal was struck. Took a video of the old stadium and track a few months back for nostalgia purposes. Mind you, always thought that they should have played there as it made eminent sense. Good luck to them.
AFC Wimbledon on 21:06 - Dec 13 with 5444 viewsMonahoop

I gather the K's are ground sharing at Leatherhead. Will this mean the K's will move back to the Royal Borough or will Chelsea wield their might and say No. I lost a lot of respect for AFC Wimbledon after the way they treated K's, but still have a bit more liking for them than our soon to be opponents in Round 3 of the FA Cup.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

AFC Wimbledon on 23:35 - Dec 13 with 5321 viewsCamberleyR

I get a bit tired of this one sided painting of AFC Wimbledon as the bad guys and Kingstonian as the innocent party. They overspent in the Conference ending up in administration ultimately having the club and the lease of the ground being purchased by the Khoslas, the real bad guys.

http://twohundredpercent.net/the-khoslas-kingstonian-out-of-administration-and-i

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

AFC Wimbledon on 09:05 - Dec 14 with 5148 viewstoboboly

AFC Wimbledon on 21:06 - Dec 13 by Monahoop

I gather the K's are ground sharing at Leatherhead. Will this mean the K's will move back to the Royal Borough or will Chelsea wield their might and say No. I lost a lot of respect for AFC Wimbledon after the way they treated K's, but still have a bit more liking for them than our soon to be opponents in Round 3 of the FA Cup.

The Scum have said no share with K's. The Leatherhead ground share is for at least next season I believe. K's are looking at getting back into the borough but have got rid of practically their entire squad this season and haven't been doing too well of late.

K's are going to slowly slide into obscurity unfortunately.

Regarding crowds there are bigger crowds at Scum ladies than in K's recent years but look at K's crowds 15 years ago when they were pushing for league football and they were huge (circa 2000 people). Unfortunately AFC have taken a lot of the local kids over the years whom may have gone to K's and this has, I believe, accelerated K's demise.

AFC Wimbledon on 09:08 - Dec 14 with 5143 viewstoboboly

AFC Wimbledon on 23:35 - Dec 13 by CamberleyR

I get a bit tired of this one sided painting of AFC Wimbledon as the bad guys and Kingstonian as the innocent party. They overspent in the Conference ending up in administration ultimately having the club and the lease of the ground being purchased by the Khoslas, the real bad guys.

http://twohundredpercent.net/the-khoslas-kingstonian-out-of-administration-and-i

That is slightly unfair, it wasn't the admin that killed K's, it was the Khosla's who then took everything out of the club and left it with absolutely nothing.

AFC Wimbledon on 09:38 - Dec 14 with 5108 viewshopphoops

Wimbledon was already a pretty depressing track by the 90s, it didn't have the buzz of Catford or Walthamstow, and they didn't last long.

I used to own a small share (about a paw) of a greyhound at the Stow. I'm amazed to find partial online details of her career ( https://www.igb.ie/results/greyhound-search/greyhound-details/?gid=827D2E5D-367D - she did well in the daytime qualifiers but got lost in the bigger evening races. She quickly retired and moved in with an ex-racing dog called Charles on a farm in Essex.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 9:48]

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

AFC Wimbledon on 10:04 - Dec 14 with 5086 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the info, everyone.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

AFC Wimbledon on 15:53 - Dec 14 with 4954 views1BobbyHazell

AFC Wimbledon on 18:28 - Dec 13 by MrSheen

I used to go the dogs a lot in the 80s with a friend who lived locally as it was about the same price as a night in the pub, and the local pubs were terrible. I didn't go for about 20 years but went back about 5 years ago. I was shocked at how shabby and run down it was, having been so lively before. I won't miss it, but I felt a bit sorry for the people who lost their entertainment and won't get it elsewhere.

I have a very similar experience of the place. Used to go a few times as a kid to the bangers and speedway in the 70's - early 80's. Went to a big night at the dogs in 89/90 and the place was heaving, full to the brim, electric atmosphere. Went back about 10 years later and couldn't believe the extent of demise of both stadium and crowd. Just a handful of people sprinkled in the main stand, completely empty elsewhere.

I read a nice article (good reflection on change/loss) on the rise of AFC and demise of Greyhound racing around the Plough Lane 'battle' in the Guardian last year, worth a look - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/27/wimbledon-greyhounds-afc-plough-la

AS for Kingstonian, I think they'll be very fortunate to return to the borough. I live there now and am actually involved in trying to preserve, a relatively small, bit of green space for school and public use. The council are under a lot of pressure to build 'affordable' homes with a lot of powerful lobbying by developers as well. Like most Greater London boroughs the battle between development and green spaces is sadly only going one way.

Like with AFC and our good selves it looks near impossible to get a piece of land purely for sporting purposes without a lucrative housing development attached for the private sector to gorge on. Unless of course it's part of the ongoing drain of public funds to line the pockets of the 'already taken care of' re the London stadium/ West Ham blatant robbery.

Anyway congrats to AFC although if my trip to their FA cup game against Lincoln in the 1st round is anything to go an 11k stadium is going to feel like a ghost town on match day.
AFC Wimbledon on 12:00 - Dec 15 with 4778 viewsblacky200

AFC Wimbledon on 15:53 - Dec 14 by 1BobbyHazell

I have a very similar experience of the place. Used to go a few times as a kid to the bangers and speedway in the 70's - early 80's. Went to a big night at the dogs in 89/90 and the place was heaving, full to the brim, electric atmosphere. Went back about 10 years later and couldn't believe the extent of demise of both stadium and crowd. Just a handful of people sprinkled in the main stand, completely empty elsewhere.

I read a nice article (good reflection on change/loss) on the rise of AFC and demise of Greyhound racing around the Plough Lane 'battle' in the Guardian last year, worth a look - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/27/wimbledon-greyhounds-afc-plough-la

AS for Kingstonian, I think they'll be very fortunate to return to the borough. I live there now and am actually involved in trying to preserve, a relatively small, bit of green space for school and public use. The council are under a lot of pressure to build 'affordable' homes with a lot of powerful lobbying by developers as well. Like most Greater London boroughs the battle between development and green spaces is sadly only going one way.

Like with AFC and our good selves it looks near impossible to get a piece of land purely for sporting purposes without a lucrative housing development attached for the private sector to gorge on. Unless of course it's part of the ongoing drain of public funds to line the pockets of the 'already taken care of' re the London stadium/ West Ham blatant robbery.

Anyway congrats to AFC although if my trip to their FA cup game against Lincoln in the 1st round is anything to go an 11k stadium is going to feel like a ghost town on match day.

I remember Plough Lane being pretty empty even though it was a small stadium
AFC Wimbledon on 13:31 - Dec 15 with 4739 viewsdontknowitall

AFC Wimbledon on 09:08 - Dec 14 by toboboly

That is slightly unfair, it wasn't the admin that killed K's, it was the Khosla's who then took everything out of the club and left it with absolutely nothing.

I have business dealings with the Khosla's on a daily basis interestingly enough, and they are still very much involved in 'gaining control of companies and property and selling off their underperforming assets to maximise the return for the equity investors' (themselves). No ostentatious flaunting of wealth though, the family fleet of vehicles only includes a Rolls Royce, Porsche, Maserati and Mercedes............ Although for them to manage a portfolio of around 500 properties including industrial estates, office blocks, hotels and blocks of flats isn't easy what with all that rent to collect (licensed not leased) and Council Enforcement Notices to deal with and then the evictions of course.

Oh, and money lending. If anyone is ever in need of emergency funds that is another pie that they have their finger in, although the rate of interest will probably be more than just a few points above base rate.........
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 16:57]
AFC Wimbledon on 19:59 - Jan 16 with 4346 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024