Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New signing for the youth team 16:03 - Jan 5 with 3780 viewssimmo

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

New signing for the youth team on 16:06 - Jan 5 with 3766 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Best of luck to him.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

New signing for the youth team on 16:19 - Jan 5 with 3731 viewsPinnerPaul

If he doesn't get a hat trick tomorrow I'll be very disappointed
New signing for the youth team on 16:30 - Jan 5 with 3695 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Reminds me of the Blackadder scene with Captain Darling.
New signing for the youth team on 16:54 - Jan 5 with 3628 viewsEsox_Lucius

If he signs as a development player is he exempt from consideration for FFP purposes? He is certainly old enough to be considered for the first team.

The grass is always greener.

New signing for the youth team on 18:58 - Jan 5 with 3501 viewssmegma

He played as a triallist for the under 23s in the amazing 5-4 win at the Valley back in October. His only appearance for us.

Described as a forward? You've guessed it, he was stuck on the wing. Played about 25 minutes and did ok.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2018 19:02]
New signing for the youth team on 19:03 - Jan 5 with 3487 viewsPinnerPaul

New signing for the youth team on 16:54 - Jan 5 by Esox_Lucius

If he signs as a development player is he exempt from consideration for FFP purposes? He is certainly old enough to be considered for the first team.

We're not under any transfer FFP embargo
New signing for the youth team on 19:24 - Jan 5 with 3443 viewsbosh67

Good. A genuine left footed striker. Let's see how he develops.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

New signing for the youth team on 19:39 - Jan 5 with 3410 viewsdanehoop

New signing for the youth team on 19:24 - Jan 5 by bosh67

Good. A genuine left footed striker. Let's see how he develops.

But when he signed for Huddersfield it was as an attacking midfielder. Local lad ex Staines

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

New signing for the youth team on 20:30 - Jan 5 with 3290 viewsBrianMcCarthy

New signing for the youth team on 19:39 - Jan 5 by danehoop

But when he signed for Huddersfield it was as an attacking midfielder. Local lad ex Staines

Good info.

I would imagine that, like with the first team, we will have many U-23 and Youth players out of contract in the summer so we have to sign players on 12 or 24 month contract to keep these teams going. Whether this lad progresses to first team football or not Is probably a question for later. For now it's a matter of signing potential and developing it.

New signing for the youth team on 20:36 - Jan 5 with 3274 viewsEsox_Lucius

New signing for the youth team on 19:03 - Jan 5 by PinnerPaul

We're not under any transfer FFP embargo

I was thinking more of his salary being included in the sums we have to keep below to avoid further sanctions.

The grass is always greener.

New signing for the youth team on 20:54 - Jan 5 with 3237 viewsBrianMcCarthy

New signing for the youth team on 20:36 - Jan 5 by Esox_Lucius

I was thinking more of his salary being included in the sums we have to keep below to avoid further sanctions.

Good point, Esox. Probably a like-for-like replacement for many of the outgoing young lads, though, and probably small beans. But clever thinking!

New signing for the youth team on 07:31 - Jan 6 with 2964 viewsLblock

Whilst this FFP business is as straight forward as unraveling a plate of spaghetti I seem to recall any expenditure on youth and development is excluded from the rules
There was some sort of kick up about Man City spending mega millions on their academy and the infrastructure of it and this being exempt
Much the same as how they manipulated the rules by having the owners sponsor them for £200mill and this going into their turnover figures

Of course nothing done to City......
Likewise PSG

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

New signing for the youth team on 08:22 - Jan 6 with 2930 viewsMedwayR

New signing for the youth team on 07:31 - Jan 6 by Lblock

Whilst this FFP business is as straight forward as unraveling a plate of spaghetti I seem to recall any expenditure on youth and development is excluded from the rules
There was some sort of kick up about Man City spending mega millions on their academy and the infrastructure of it and this being exempt
Much the same as how they manipulated the rules by having the owners sponsor them for £200mill and this going into their turnover figures

Of course nothing done to City......
Likewise PSG

I can't recall any fuss about Man City spending millions on their academy, both FFP and EPPP encourage investment in infrastructure and youth academies, I just wish our owners had done the same rather than spunk millions on wasters.

The 'sponsorship' deals are a joke though, as are the way chelsea (others do the same but chelsea are the worst for it) are able to buy up dozens of players then loan them out as a way of generating income through loan fees to avoid breaching FFP, that is damaging to the game and should be stopped.

I'm pretty sure Man City (and maybe PSG or someone else) had to pay about £50m a couple of years ago due to breaching FFP. At their level breaching FFP is usually a calculated risk worth taking, likewise PSG signing of Neymar and Mbappe.

Poll: Who’s better?

New signing for the youth team on 10:01 - Jan 6 with 2857 viewssmegma

New signing for the youth team on 08:22 - Jan 6 by MedwayR

I can't recall any fuss about Man City spending millions on their academy, both FFP and EPPP encourage investment in infrastructure and youth academies, I just wish our owners had done the same rather than spunk millions on wasters.

The 'sponsorship' deals are a joke though, as are the way chelsea (others do the same but chelsea are the worst for it) are able to buy up dozens of players then loan them out as a way of generating income through loan fees to avoid breaching FFP, that is damaging to the game and should be stopped.

I'm pretty sure Man City (and maybe PSG or someone else) had to pay about £50m a couple of years ago due to breaching FFP. At their level breaching FFP is usually a calculated risk worth taking, likewise PSG signing of Neymar and Mbappe.

Can't believe I'm going to defend them but here goes. About 3-4 years ago it was revealed Chelsea had 32 youngsters out on loan. They were criticised in every media outlet and perhaps rightly so. At the same time we had 23 kids out on loan. One of those was Jack Robinson who went on loan as soon as the ink dried on his contract. I believe we were the fifth highest behind the likes of Utd, City, Spurs and Liverpool. Those clubs can afford to do it, we can't. In the last 2 seasons we've had over 100 triallist at every age level. We've used over 70 players for the under 23s this season, that's including in the 6 or so friendlies we've played.Its a similar story in the under 18s. Before we start signing more kids , we need to start shipping out loads of them first.
New signing for the youth team on 12:51 - Jan 6 with 2716 viewsoldmisery

New signing for the youth team on 10:01 - Jan 6 by smegma

Can't believe I'm going to defend them but here goes. About 3-4 years ago it was revealed Chelsea had 32 youngsters out on loan. They were criticised in every media outlet and perhaps rightly so. At the same time we had 23 kids out on loan. One of those was Jack Robinson who went on loan as soon as the ink dried on his contract. I believe we were the fifth highest behind the likes of Utd, City, Spurs and Liverpool. Those clubs can afford to do it, we can't. In the last 2 seasons we've had over 100 triallist at every age level. We've used over 70 players for the under 23s this season, that's including in the 6 or so friendlies we've played.Its a similar story in the under 18s. Before we start signing more kids , we need to start shipping out loads of them first.

I guess you get to see all/most of the U18 and U23 games. I find it hard to believe the club has used 70+ players in the U23 side. In how many games, do you know?
Have any players featured in all games?
I seem to recall that in the old days this info would be published in the 1st team programmes but, rather like updates on injuries, that appears to be a thing of the past.
I only get to see a small number of these matches each season but have been able to chart the progress of some of the kids such as Chair, Oteh, Eze etc. I liked what I saw of Romeo Akinola who is a little younger than the others who have been promoted to first team action, I believe. Is he still progressing?
New signing for the youth team on 16:34 - Jan 6 with 2602 viewssmegma

I think it's 14 League and 7 friendlies. No one has played every game. Phillips and and Paul have played the most with about 12.
New signing for the youth team on 23:42 - Jan 6 with 2535 viewsoldmisery

New signing for the youth team on 16:34 - Jan 6 by smegma

I think it's 14 League and 7 friendlies. No one has played every game. Phillips and and Paul have played the most with about 12.

Thanks for the update.
New signing for the youth team on 12:23 - Jan 8 with 2373 viewssimmo

Plus with more youth players in and around the first team now, especially attacking players, others to take their place is important and means they will get games.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

New signing for the youth team on 13:05 - Jan 8 with 2333 viewsdaveB

Most of these players signed for the under 23 squad in the last year seem to be around the first team now. Oteh, Smyth, Eze and Chair have all come in that way
New signing for the youth team on 23:48 - Jan 9 with 2106 viewssmegma

New signing for the youth team on 12:51 - Jan 6 by oldmisery

I guess you get to see all/most of the U18 and U23 games. I find it hard to believe the club has used 70+ players in the U23 side. In how many games, do you know?
Have any players featured in all games?
I seem to recall that in the old days this info would be published in the 1st team programmes but, rather like updates on injuries, that appears to be a thing of the past.
I only get to see a small number of these matches each season but have been able to chart the progress of some of the kids such as Chair, Oteh, Eze etc. I liked what I saw of Romeo Akinola who is a little younger than the others who have been promoted to first team action, I believe. Is he still progressing?

I stand corrected...the under 23s have used ONLY 61 players this season in 25 games, 16 league games and 9 friendlies.
New signing for the youth team on 02:20 - Jan 10 with 2044 viewsBoston

I hope he does well. If he doesn't, coupled with him signing from Huddersfield, may I suggest the hate thread is headed, 'Last of the Summer Whine'?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

New signing for the youth team on 10:03 - Jan 10 with 1934 views1JD

Smegma, I’m intrigued - who were the 23 out on loan?
[Post edited 10 Jan 2018 10:05]
New signing for the youth team on 20:36 - Jan 10 with 1808 viewsBrightonhoop

New signing for the youth team on 20:36 - Jan 5 by Esox_Lucius

I would imagine binning of Caulker has achieved that alone.

And they cycle of buy ins, develop and loans is what is bringing players through to the First Squad.

Evil Les out!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024