Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sylla not featuring today 18:30 - Jan 6 with 15608 viewsbosh67

We know Luongo was rested today but do we read anything into Sylla not featuring in the squad? Injured? Rested? Lined up to leave?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sylla not featuring today on 00:56 - Jan 8 with 2546 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Sylla not featuring today on 23:47 - Jan 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Sylla won't get 10 this season he is lucky to have 4 so far with that tap in v SU

He only gets 50% of his shots on target and that's from inside the 18-yard box
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 23:50]

The difficult thing for Sylla isn't scoring. It's getting on the pitch.

He has only played around a third of our game time this season. The same as last season. 10 goals is a good return from such limited chances.

Still I expect he'll soon be gone joining a long list of players who left QPR only to do better somewhere else.

PS some of you don't seem to understand. It doesn't matter whether a player only scores inside the six yard box. It doesn't matter whether they have a habit of waiting for the ball. It doesn't matter if only 50% of their shots are on target. It doesn't matter that they score lucky goals. The thing that matters is how many goals they score, because goals win matches.
Sylla not featuring today on 02:58 - Jan 8 with 2503 viewsPommyhoop

Sylla not featuring today on 00:56 - Jan 8 by Spaghetti_Hoops

He has only played around a third of our game time this season. The same as last season. 10 goals is a good return from such limited chances.

Still I expect he'll soon be gone joining a long list of players who left QPR only to do better somewhere else.

PS some of you don't seem to understand. It doesn't matter whether a player only scores inside the six yard box. It doesn't matter whether they have a habit of waiting for the ball. It doesn't matter if only 50% of their shots are on target. It doesn't matter that they score lucky goals. The thing that matters is how many goals they score, because goals win matches.

This ^^.
We have got a very limited group of strikers but Sylla is by far the best striker we have.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Sylla not featuring today on 05:43 - Jan 8 with 2486 viewsVancouverHoop

Sylla not featuring today on 22:27 - Jan 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Problem with Sylla is he can't make or score a goal unless he is in or around the 6-yard box, have a look at his goals from last season.

Not one is from outside the 18-yard box or with him running at a defence with the ball. so yes he has fed off crosses. it's one dimensional but so is Smith I hear you say.

But Smith is a better link man as we saw with him playing with Smyth v Cardiff

How many assists does Sylla have, I don't know off hand but can't think of any

Edit

BBC STATS

Matt Smith
Mins 152 per goal

Mins 913 played

6 Goals scored

3 Assists

Idrissa Sylla
Mins 228 per goal

Mins 913 played

4 Goals scored

0 Assists
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 22:46]

Wait up. I don't recall Charlie Austin running at defences much, nor scoring many screamers from outside the area. He, like Sylla, scores mostly from in, or just outside, the six-yard box.

Successful strikers are usually goal hangers, they have an almost uncanny knack of knowing where the ball is coming to and getting there before anyone else. I'm not saying Sylla's as good at it as CA, and may never be, but he has those same instincts, while Conor and Mackie patently don't.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 5:44]
Sylla not featuring today on 07:01 - Jan 8 with 2453 viewsdaveB

Sylla started 3 games over Christmas and didn't do much so was left out, he's had chances this season but isn't the messiah and like all our strikers has plenty he could improve on
Sylla not featuring today on 09:47 - Jan 8 with 2337 viewsWestbourneR

Sylla not featuring today on 05:43 - Jan 8 by VancouverHoop

Wait up. I don't recall Charlie Austin running at defences much, nor scoring many screamers from outside the area. He, like Sylla, scores mostly from in, or just outside, the six-yard box.

Successful strikers are usually goal hangers, they have an almost uncanny knack of knowing where the ball is coming to and getting there before anyone else. I'm not saying Sylla's as good at it as CA, and may never be, but he has those same instincts, while Conor and Mackie patently don't.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 5:44]

I like Sylla but there is not need to include a 'may' in that sentence. Sylla will never (ever) be as good as Charlie Austin. Once again, Austin is proving at Southampton what a brilliant all round striker he is.

And Charlie did used to score screamers from outside the box.

But we need to move on, find someone new, get back out there. Charlie is never coming back. We had him and we blew it. What a man. Anyway...

Sylla is not really great but he has some qualities - he can finish, head and hold up the ball. He can also look like a shambolic joke at times. But I think he is plenty good enough for us at the moment if he gets the right service.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Sylla not featuring today on 09:56 - Jan 8 with 2322 views2Thomas2Bowles

He is 28 not some 20 year old still learning the game he should be at his peak.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Sylla not featuring today on 10:03 - Jan 8 with 2307 viewsDorse

Saying Sylla is the best striker at QPR is like calling him the tallest midget or nicest STD.

However, he has scored more than most at the club. Apart from Connor in the box office who is known simply as 'The Length'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Sylla not featuring today on 10:07 - Jan 8 with 2298 viewspaulparker

I don't mind Sylla he has a good knack of getting a goal out of nothing and does have the good knack of being there if a defender or keeper makes a mistake
it boils down to consistency with him but I don't think we really play to his strengths
we don't get enough balls in the box for him if we did I agree with Lblock that we could have a 10/15 goal a season striker ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Sylla not featuring today on 10:16 - Jan 8 with 2288 viewssmegma

Sylla not featuring today on 21:06 - Jan 7 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Good. Maybe it'll knock a bit of sense into you.
Do you not realise that a player has to be on the pitch to score.
So minutes played is the only sensible measure of opportunity. On that measure Sylla compares quite favourably to the more successful strikers in the division, despite his faults.

Admittedly this season is not as good as last but he has been in and out of the side, left out more times than started, paired with every combination of striker, winger, and no wingers all typical of the Holloway's tombola methods. Hopefully Holloway is at least cured of the Washington/Mackie madness.

On goals scored we are 18th/19th in the Championship.
On goals conceded we are 17th in the Championship.
Seems to me that the team is mediocre all-round, and the blame the strikers obsession is just a cop out for those that want to believe the team is otherwise better than it is. Perhaps the Washington supporters now get some solace with this 'well all the strikers are useless' argument.

So I have a different opinion to you makes you think I have 'no sense'. You can spout stats until the cows come home, it doesn't hide the fact Sylla is not up to Championship standard. You can say he's not getting the chances or no one is creating them for him but 4 goals in over 20 games is poor even at Sunday league level. People have been saying the same about Conor and now it's dawned on everyone.
The only two goal scorers at the club are Oteh with 9 in 9 reserve games and Eze with 5 in 4 reserve games. So Eze played in midfield on Saturday !!!
Sylla not featuring today on 10:23 - Jan 8 with 2274 viewssmegma

Possibly THE most patronising post on here in ages.
Sylla not featuring today on 10:56 - Jan 8 with 2243 viewsSimonJames

Apparently Sylla only has to score 1 more goal to be in the top 10 QPR Championship goal scorers:

https://www.11v11.com/teams/queens-park-rangers/tab/stats/option/scorers/

100% of people who drink water will die.

Sylla not featuring today on 11:22 - Jan 8 with 2223 viewssmegma

Sylla not featuring today on 10:56 - Jan 8 by SimonJames

Apparently Sylla only has to score 1 more goal to be in the top 10 QPR Championship goal scorers:

63 goals in 8 seasons of his senior career.

And to think our fans used to abuse Tony Sealy ??!!
Sylla not featuring today on 18:37 - Jan 8 with 2117 viewsTacticalR

Sylla not featuring today on 22:41 - Jan 6 by Hunterhoop

Surely what we learned today was that it' should Luongo who is the driving force of this team, not Freeman or Scowen. Only real change was Luongo and we suddenly lose 1-0 at home to a team 25 places beneath us in the league.

The problem is that Luongo isn't playing like Luongo. He doesn't seem to have been quite himself since the Wolves and Sheffield United games.

Air hostess clique

Sylla not featuring today on 21:17 - Jan 8 with 2010 viewsdaveB

Sylla not featuring today on 10:56 - Jan 8 by SimonJames

That only goes back to 2004, an odd stat
Sylla not featuring today on 21:31 - Jan 8 with 1984 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sylla not featuring today on 10:38 - Jan 7 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Sylla has started 24 games in the last two seasons according to the stats here -

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/queens-park-rangers-team-stats?competition=23&s

Over 2016/17 and 2017/18 our strikers compare like this -

Sylla.......14 goals......2389 minutes played.....171 minutes per goal
Smith.....12 goals......2626 minutes played.....219 minutes per goal
Washington..11 goals..3915 minutes played..356 minutes per goal
Mackie...5 goals......2216 minutes per goal....443 minutes per goal

The same stat (last two seasons) for some of the more prolific scorers in the Championship at the moment -
Assombolonga....156 minutes per goal
Vibe....................165 minutes per goal
Vydra..................174 minutes per goal
Reid (Bris C)........269 minutes per goal
Adomah..............283 minutes per goal

For me by far the most important thing with strikers is how often they score. That's their job. Assists are good too. What they look like while their doing it is neither here nor there. People who criticise Sylla, or don't start him in the team, should reflect on those stats.

Sorry, don't completely buy this on basis of recent games.

Sylla has been mainly used as sub and has scored a few so the obvious conclusion is that if he only played the full 90 he'd score more. I'd have said the same a month or so back.

But when he has started recently he seems to have scored fewer and not contributed much else. Maybe the goals scored as sub don't show that he'd be a natural striker over 90 mins, maybe he is a great impact sub coming on and being bit more direct than Washington (who isn't?) when the defence is tiring.

I'd genuinely loved to be proved wrong on this - give me the stats on his minutes per goal in matches where he started if you can, I'm too ignorant to find them, and TBH I don't think Holloway has given him enough chances to be sure. But I'm a a lot less optimistic that he's a goalscorer than I was.
Sylla not featuring today on 22:43 - Jan 8 with 1921 viewsSimonJames

Sylla not featuring today on 22:41 - Jan 6 by Hunterhoop

Surely what we learned today was that it' should Luongo who is the driving force of this team, not Freeman or Scowen. Only real change was Luongo and we suddenly lose 1-0 at home to a team 25 places beneath us in the league.

Surely what we should have learned by now is that this club needs a clearly defined system and playing style rather than trying to build teams around individuals (who might get injured, worn out, or called up to international duty).

Sylla not featuring today on 22:51 - Jan 8 with 1912 viewsdistortR

Sylla not featuring today on 11:22 - Jan 8 by smegma

63 goals in 8 seasons of his senior career.

And to think our fans used to abuse Tony Sealy ??!!

pony sealy?
Sylla not featuring today on 23:18 - Jan 8 with 1885 viewsPunteR

How good was Heider Helgerson.? Say what you like about Zamora but he was a quality player. Austin..? say no more.
Sylla, Washington, Smith have had their chances but fluffed their lines whereas the three i mentioned above would have buried it.
Correct me if i'm wrong but does the stats show how many times they've shanked a golden opportunity? I know they are not getting a steady stream of service, but if it's there on a plate they need to score.
Smith can mix it with championship defenders although his hold up play is atrocious but Sylla ,for me is nowhere near the level we need, although i would put him ahead of Washington who has been a massive disappointment. I do think that Washington would do well in L1 though...or some other club in the championship. You just know he'll find his form elsewhere and be brilliant. (Maybe).
Smith and Smyth takes the big man little man combo to a new level.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 23:37]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Sylla not featuring today on 23:44 - Jan 8 with 1861 viewssmegma

Sylla not featuring today on 07:01 - Jan 8 by daveB

Sylla started 3 games over Christmas and didn't do much so was left out, he's had chances this season but isn't the messiah and like all our strikers has plenty he could improve on

You can't say that or Mr Heinz will dig you out or even patronise you.
Sylla not featuring today on 00:10 - Jan 9 with 1847 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sylla not featuring today on 23:18 - Jan 8 by PunteR

How good was Heider Helgerson.? Say what you like about Zamora but he was a quality player. Austin..? say no more.
Sylla, Washington, Smith have had their chances but fluffed their lines whereas the three i mentioned above would have buried it.
Correct me if i'm wrong but does the stats show how many times they've shanked a golden opportunity? I know they are not getting a steady stream of service, but if it's there on a plate they need to score.
Smith can mix it with championship defenders although his hold up play is atrocious but Sylla ,for me is nowhere near the level we need, although i would put him ahead of Washington who has been a massive disappointment. I do think that Washington would do well in L1 though...or some other club in the championship. You just know he'll find his form elsewhere and be brilliant. (Maybe).
Smith and Smyth takes the big man little man combo to a new level.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 23:37]

I don't agree about Smith, he has delivered what was pretty much expected.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Sylla not featuring today on 10:15 - Jan 9 with 1761 viewsSimonJames

Sylla not featuring today on 21:17 - Jan 8 by daveB

That only goes back to 2004, an odd stat

Yeah, they seem to have just started the stats from when the Championship was renamed from the old Football League Division One.
But it still highlights just what an appalling lack of goal scorers we've had during the seasons (11?) we've spent in the Championship.

Sylla not featuring today on 12:52 - Jan 9 with 1693 viewsBrightonhoop

Tough call on Sylla. He is a poacher and we're not exactly pinging opportunities into the box. But his own target stat at 50% is poor and not improving. Chicken and egg. Only he can break the cycle. If he got to 60% on target Ollie might be more inclined to give him 90 mins instead of subbing him off on 60 when he hasn't scored again.
Sylla not featuring today on 13:00 - Jan 9 with 1670 viewsHunterhoop

Sylla not featuring today on 22:43 - Jan 8 by SimonJames

Surely what we should have learned by now is that this club needs a clearly defined system and playing style rather than trying to build teams around individuals (who might get injured, worn out, or called up to international duty).

Completely agree. I've been calling for a system with WIDTH for ages. A 4231 where the two wide players in the 3 stay wide and sling crosses in solves this. Been calling for it for years. Just ask Bosh, Fred, and a few others who take the kick out of me about it.

But the Luongo comment is entirely unrelated. I was just making the point, that no one else has made, which is that our performances dip far more when Luongo is out than when Scowen or Freeman are out. Some strange ones still don't rate him and I find it mystifying in the face of so much evidence to the contrary. We played a full strength side, except for Luongo, and we lost 1-0 at home to a team 25 places below us, ironically with a major mistake coming from Scowen. Yet, some still think Scowen is the man who makes us tick. Nonsense. It's Luongo.

And I'm sure he'd like to play in a side with some genuine width too! Frees up space in the middle and gives him an outlet.
Sylla not featuring today on 13:55 - Jan 9 with 1636 viewsSimonJames

Sylla not featuring today on 12:52 - Jan 9 by Brightonhoop

Tough call on Sylla. He is a poacher and we're not exactly pinging opportunities into the box. But his own target stat at 50% is poor and not improving. Chicken and egg. Only he can break the cycle. If he got to 60% on target Ollie might be more inclined to give him 90 mins instead of subbing him off on 60 when he hasn't scored again.

But surely "practice makes perfect". And I suspect Sylla is capable of more than Smith is - not that either of them are ever likely to light the division up.

Sylla not featuring today on 13:59 - Jan 9 with 1629 viewskensalriser

I suspect Scowan is somewhat overrated by many. He's a decent addition to a weak side and is doing a solid job, I'm not sure he's any better than that.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024