Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top Man Gazza 15:42 - Jan 12 with 2755 viewspaulparker

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-42610496

I know he has been on the bones of his arris lately and he is overcoming some demons
but what a lovely gesture , I think what a heart of gold
not taking away from the others who contributed but to me this is what Gazza is about

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Top Man Gazza on 12:42 - Jan 14 with 2504 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Devil's Advocate:

Other than the era and ability what's the difference between Gazza and Caulker?
Top Man Gazza on 12:56 - Jan 14 with 2480 viewspaulparker

Gazza had many psychological problems from seeing his mate die as a kid , he has so many issues form anxiety to having a compulsive eating disorder to being an addict
what gazza found was solace on the pitch that was his safe haven , he would still be playing now if he could , the man has done so many things good that never get reported like buying kids fish n chips and playing football with them to paying old peoples gas bills
he has all these problems but played and hardly ever short changed the paying punter and when he did and couldn't carry on he left ie Burnley
caulker hasnt been bothered to play full stop for nearly 2 years and hasnt gone to any lengths to get help either (although i could be wrong) despite him leeching over 50k a week from a club in dire financial bother , its also a lot easier now for a player to reach out and get themselves the help they need then say the late 80s and early 90s
i hope caulker stops drinking and knuckles down for his families sake but i doubt he will

gazza

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Top Man Gazza on 13:45 - Jan 14 with 2417 viewsCiderwithRsie

Top Man Gazza on 12:42 - Jan 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Devil's Advocate:

Gazza made loads of bad decisions but he had enough discipline to play God knows how many games for England, Newcastle and Spurs, in almost all of which he was the main man on the pitch.

I don't think you can accuse him of lacking work ethic or even a sort of discipline - maybe that's the wrong word, but I mean a sort of focus on his football. I get the sense that football saved Gazza from being dead in the streets by the time he was 30, when he was on the pitch he was truly alive, the difficulty was managing the rest of the time.

And that's the problem with Caulker - Gazza seems like a bloke with demons who rose above them to be the defining English player of his generation. Caulker lives in an era where there's much more support around for his problems and frankly he doesn't seem that fussed about whether he's playing or not. Result is that he's a nonentity to anyone other than fans of the clubs he has "played" for.

Maybe Caulker is unlucky that he just hasn't found the thing that gives him his focus, maybe he should do the charity work in Africa full-time instead of trying to be a pro footballer, but he's getting very well rewarded for something he isn't trying at. Say what you like about Gazza but he bloody earned his money (and I'd love to know which of the two earnt more in wages, maybe Gazza got more in sponsorships and stuff over time due to greater fame).

It's a bit like a quote I remember from Stan where he admitted to the gambling but said stories of him being on the piss before matches were all balls because if he had been he couldn't have played. He might have been self-destructive but I don't think Stan would have done anything that impeded his ability to play, because it meant too much to him.
Top Man Gazza on 14:16 - Jan 14 with 2372 viewscolinallcars

Devil's Advocate:

Sorry but no reasonable comparisons can be made between the two of ''em in my view.
Top Man Gazza on 16:55 - Jan 14 with 2223 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Top Man Gazza on 14:16 - Jan 14 by colinallcars

Sorry but no reasonable comparisons can be made between the two of ''em in my view.

Again, Devil’s advocate...

Both played for England.
Both Alchoholics.
Both had difficulty with their relationships.
Both had poor mental health.
Both had big ‘turned a corner’ interviews.
Both attempted to play abroad to escape their demons.
Both played for Rangers (this one a stretch obviously).

I think it’s right that we sympathise with all footballers or none.
Top Man Gazza on 17:23 - Jan 14 with 2175 viewsTonto

Top Man Gazza on 16:55 - Jan 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Both played for England.
Both Alchoholics.

But Gazza still did it on the pitch for close to a decade. Caulker did it for 10 matches

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Top Man Gazza on 17:36 - Jan 14 with 2156 viewsBlackCrowe

Devil's Advocate:

Weird post on a positive thread.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Top Man Gazza on 17:36 - Jan 14 with 2155 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Top Man Gazza on 17:23 - Jan 14 by Tonto

But Gazza still did it on the pitch for close to a decade. Caulker did it for 10 matches

I don’t think Caulker even did it for ten to be honest.

Gazza played in a era when everyone was hungover most of the time.

Gazza, Adams, Merson, Robson, McGrath, Samson. None of them would have made it in the era of saliva tests and metabolic screening.
Login to get fewer ads

Top Man Gazza on 17:37 - Jan 14 with 2152 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Top Man Gazza on 17:36 - Jan 14 by BlackCrowe

Weird post on a positive thread.

That’s fair enough.

Wasn’t trying to take anything away from Gazza’s gesture.
Top Man Gazza on 18:13 - Jan 14 with 2101 viewsSimonJames

Devil's Advocate:

Oops, upvoted this because I read it as "... THAT'S the difference between Gazza and Caulker". I get the impression, Gazza means well and tries to do the right thing, but Caulker does very little.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Top Man Gazza on 16:11 - Jan 15 with 1767 viewshoopdog

Top Man Gazza on 16:55 - Jan 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Both played for England.
Both Alchoholics.

One wasn't a Ponce tho
Top Man Gazza on 17:55 - Jan 15 with 1722 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Top Man Gazza on 18:48 - Jan 15 with 1690 viewsdaveB

Devil's Advocate:

Gazza never pretended to be injured or refused to play, the fella gave everything to play football every week and was bloody good at it.

To compare him with Caulker is odd
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024