Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. 21:45 - Jan 13 with 4289 viewscheeseydane

Single again and can finally use my free time for myself following my dads passing. No need to ferry back and forth to blighty which ive been doing for 10 years or so.
So i want to travel. But as a single. Anyone have any experience or ideas?
Im 49 but still up for a crack.
Appreciate any advice.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 21:54 - Jan 13 with 4251 viewsBrightonhoop

Follow your nose but be careful where you go. It's not like the old days.

Start in East Europe it's a great place to be as a single fellah lol
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 23:26 - Jan 13 with 4067 viewsBoston

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 21:54 - Jan 13 by Brightonhoop

Follow your nose but be careful where you go. It's not like the old days.

Start in East Europe it's a great place to be as a single fellah lol

....and full of prostitutes.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. (n/t) on 23:35 - Jan 13 with 4033 viewsBrightonhoop

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 23:26 - Jan 13 by Boston

[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 23:45]
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 23:58 - Jan 13 with 3984 viewsMrSheen

Sorry to hear that, hope it's not too painful for you.

Treat it as an opportunity to do something you've wanted to do but your other half had no interest in. I'm crazy about medieval history but it bores the wife and kids shyteless. A few years ago she let me go to Transylvania on my own for a week and I had a wonderful time. Not for everyone but I was pleased with myself for being independent for a week and entertaining myself. Great place too.
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 00:46 - Jan 14 with 3902 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well good for you for getting on with life!

I’ve done two big tours travelling with someone and three on my own. You just meet people as you go and in terms of solo-travelling, I frequently ended up befriening people and the next thing you know, you’ll find that you’re spending periods of travelling with others.

Generally, I’d say let these arrangements generate naturally and don’t try to overly force them. Plus, a good way to meet and mingle is if you’re in a place and say, there’s these multi-day trips to sites, to book with a local tour group and you’ll meet folks there.

Equally, where you stay helps if it has lots of like minded people. You don’t have to stay in some backpacker shithole, but you might not meet anyone sociable and up for the craic if you’re always pointy end. Plus at ‘our’ age, late-teens/early 20-somethings can be bloody annoying! But having traveled in my 20s, 30s and 40s, you tend to gravitate to your own.

Can be a bit daunting at times, and yes there are times when you miss having a mate to natter with. But generally, it doesn’t stay a lonely planet for long! Indeed, both times I’ve traveled with someone, you can experience cabin fever a bit so it’s swings and roundabouts. In fact sometimes I’ve found solitude in some far flung idyll beyond perfection.

You’ll find there are always lots of people soloIng it. and use this and any other forums you’re on. I’ve met loads of Rfosi on my travels by messaging them to see if they fancy a beer when in town!

Finally, ignore anyone telling you to go here or there until you decide where it is that you want to go to! It is after all, your trip. Sounds like you’ve had a rough time and now you deserve to enjoy life. And never feel afraid to ask for advice and recommendations.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 07:09 - Jan 14 with 3743 viewsBlackCrowe

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 00:46 - Jan 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Well good for you for getting on with life!

I’ve done two big tours travelling with someone and three on my own. You just meet people as you go and in terms of solo-travelling, I frequently ended up befriening people and the next thing you know, you’ll find that you’re spending periods of travelling with others.

Generally, I’d say let these arrangements generate naturally and don’t try to overly force them. Plus, a good way to meet and mingle is if you’re in a place and say, there’s these multi-day trips to sites, to book with a local tour group and you’ll meet folks there.

Equally, where you stay helps if it has lots of like minded people. You don’t have to stay in some backpacker shithole, but you might not meet anyone sociable and up for the craic if you’re always pointy end. Plus at ‘our’ age, late-teens/early 20-somethings can be bloody annoying! But having traveled in my 20s, 30s and 40s, you tend to gravitate to your own.

Can be a bit daunting at times, and yes there are times when you miss having a mate to natter with. But generally, it doesn’t stay a lonely planet for long! Indeed, both times I’ve traveled with someone, you can experience cabin fever a bit so it’s swings and roundabouts. In fact sometimes I’ve found solitude in some far flung idyll beyond perfection.

You’ll find there are always lots of people soloIng it. and use this and any other forums you’re on. I’ve met loads of Rfosi on my travels by messaging them to see if they fancy a beer when in town!

Finally, ignore anyone telling you to go here or there until you decide where it is that you want to go to! It is after all, your trip. Sounds like you’ve had a rough time and now you deserve to enjoy life. And never feel afraid to ask for advice and recommendations.

Top advice that....couldn't disagree with any of it.

As to where, very much depends on how long you've got. In similar circustances, within Europe I'd love to spend time roaming the Greek Islands again. Further afield, then Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina is somewhere I'd love to spend time travelling through as would India and Sri Lanka.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 07:43 - Jan 14 with 3696 viewsozexile

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 07:09 - Jan 14 by BlackCrowe

As to where, very much depends on how long you've got. In similar circustances, within Europe I'd love to spend time roaming the Greek Islands again. Further afield, then Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina is somewhere I'd love to spend time travelling through as would India and Sri Lanka.

I agree with all of that England are touring NZ in March. Lots amd lots of single travellers follow England cricket. You'll never be short of companions and good days and nights.
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 08:05 - Jan 14 with 3668 viewsHayesender

Lucky bastard

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 09:05 - Jan 14 with 3551 viewsWrightUp5hit___

N/M.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2018 9:36]
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 09:34 - Jan 14 with 3499 viewsMrSheen

My sister in law goes on guided walking tours. She meets lots of interesting people from around the world. Pick a place where you like the food (Greece, Compostella trail, Austria etc) and you won't have to worry about how to fill your day. If nothing else, you'll enjoy the physical benefit.
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 09:36 - Jan 14 with 3492 viewsWrightUp5hit___

If you drive HGV's a bit too like the working week
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 12:12 - Jan 14 with 3302 viewsdistortR

when he said "still up for a crack", I think he was talking in more general terms, mate.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2018 12:13]
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 13:34 - Jan 14 with 3231 viewscheeseydane

Lot of useful stuff. Given me a lot of ideas, and a few chuckles.
Thanks guys.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 15:43 - Jan 14 with 3119 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 07:09 - Jan 14 by BlackCrowe

Why not do the whole lot?

Went from Boston down to Bailoche (would have been down to Tierra del Fuego, but it was too cold) and back up to Brazil. My fave place in SA, is Bolivia; had a great time there.

I still think a lot of your view about a place is determined by how much you enjoyed your time there. Hence why after living in Manila for a couple of years, oh man, couldn’t wait for the wheels to enter the under carriage! Yet most people I know who’ve traveled the Philippines love it.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 16:14 - Jan 14 with 3075 viewsdubaistu

I've been lucky enough to marry a Mrs who doesn't expect me to live in her pocket and thankfully neither do I. Just finished a little tour of HK, Sydney and Macau for the 5th test (saw a few hoops tops there). I'd love to circumnavigate Aussie taking in all it's beauty.

I've also found a mind, body and soul trip to a Muay Thai boot camp to be very productive, there's a place in Khao Lak called Rawai Muay Thai which is as authentic as it can get. KL also has no funny business like the rest of Thailand so if you're expecting that, 100km south to the dive of Phuket with lots of Russian meatheads to wrestle as well.

South America just sounds awesome, with an addictive personality I couldn't go there alone!! The MENA region is great, just stay away from UAE which is a bore, look at Oman, Jordan, Lebanon (fit chicks), Israel (even better chicks).

As other posters have said, you'll find solace and interest wherever you go, best of luck.
Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 17:32 - Jan 14 with 2999 viewsjohncharles

Single after 20 years. Travel info....help. on 16:14 - Jan 14 by dubaistu

I've been lucky enough to marry a Mrs who doesn't expect me to live in her pocket and thankfully neither do I. Just finished a little tour of HK, Sydney and Macau for the 5th test (saw a few hoops tops there). I'd love to circumnavigate Aussie taking in all it's beauty.

I've also found a mind, body and soul trip to a Muay Thai boot camp to be very productive, there's a place in Khao Lak called Rawai Muay Thai which is as authentic as it can get. KL also has no funny business like the rest of Thailand so if you're expecting that, 100km south to the dive of Phuket with lots of Russian meatheads to wrestle as well.

South America just sounds awesome, with an addictive personality I couldn't go there alone!! The MENA region is great, just stay away from UAE which is a bore, look at Oman, Jordan, Lebanon (fit chicks), Israel (even better chicks).

As other posters have said, you'll find solace and interest wherever you go, best of luck.

Ooooops I’ve somehow managed to down arrow you. Apologies.
Not sure what happened. Still on my first beer

Strong and stable my arse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024