Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. 23:04 - Jan 14 with 19141 viewsBromleyHoop

https://t.co/8t6fl2kJwp

Hopefully the above link works. It’s from a BBC podcast on Welsh football.

There’s a very interesting insight from Danny Gabbidon about his time at Crystal Palace working under Ian Holloway during his short time as manager there. Listen between. 12.20 and 19.10.

Gabbidon also doesn’t have great things to say about Mark Hughes when they were both at QPR. Listen from 24.10.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2018 23:21]

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 21:55 - Jan 15 with 3733 viewsTW_R

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 16:39 - Jan 15 by gazza1

With the squad and players that we have we should be doing so much better......sadly, and I don't like knocking IH because I have a lot of respect for him, he makes many, many errors that a man of his experience shouldn't make.

Whilst I concur that he has got to make a lot of cuts and many restrictions in many ways, he was also wasted a lot of money buying or getting new players into the club.

I'm well pleased that we got 3 points on Saturday but realistically we should be going to places like Burton and getting 3 points.

I can see the argument in keeping him but, personally, I would replace him and build for next season now.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 16:42]

Nice to see you back gazza.

In all honesty, in our history, when have we realistically been to places like Burton and expected to win? We've had one or two good seasons in 20 years. Go back 40 years you could probably name 5 seasons.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 22:12 - Jan 15 with 3708 viewsPeterHucker

Is this the same Danny Gabbidon who scored an own goal on his debut and was generally very underwhelming during his short spell with us?
Since when did we give a toss what he says?
Sounded to me like a man trying to pin the blame anywhere but himself for the mediocre career he had once he got past 30.
Amazing how it's never the player's fault is it?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 22:15]
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 22:17 - Jan 15 with 3695 viewssmegma

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 08:19 - Jan 15 by connell10

Gabbidon another bang average player who has thieved a living! I take what he says with a pinch of salt!

Is the correct answer.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 22:19 - Jan 15 with 3693 viewsNov77

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 21:49 - Jan 15 by TW_R

And yet there we were just a couple of weeks ago, the team with a manager where no one can glean any clear instructions beating the team with a manager who is clear and to the point.

The league table kind of refutes your argument.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 22:41 - Jan 15 with 3655 viewsPunteR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 16:09 - Jan 15 by vegasranger

Agreed Northern.As you say cutting down the wage bill and squad for next season. Let's hope our new scouting department can find some gems for the summer.

Yeh they havnt done too bad so far. That mix of Ramsey bringing the youth through (plus Luongo and Hall) and Penrice bringing in the likes of Scowen, Freeman seems to be working well.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 23:38 - Jan 15 with 3595 viewsmylot50years

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 22:12 - Jan 15 by PeterHucker

Is this the same Danny Gabbidon who scored an own goal on his debut and was generally very underwhelming during his short spell with us?
Since when did we give a toss what he says?
Sounded to me like a man trying to pin the blame anywhere but himself for the mediocre career he had once he got past 30.
Amazing how it's never the player's fault is it?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 22:15]

Oh yes so it would seem according to your conclusions Gabbidon in his time under IH he did take on board the explanations he so often heard Ian making after another indifferent result by his team.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 23:53 - Jan 15 with 3580 viewscaliforniahoop

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 16:09 - Jan 15 by vegasranger

Agreed Northern.As you say cutting down the wage bill and squad for next season. Let's hope our new scouting department can find some gems for the summer.

All that time working with young lads that need coaching, probably the most crucial time of there development, we then end up with releasing this latest batch in 3 yrs time, not for me thanks! End of the season latest!
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 00:11 - Jan 16 with 3565 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A little more consistency from Ollie would help. We are also dealing with footballers here, so simplicity and calm assertiveness often go along way compared to manic confusion.

We’re short of where we could be with this squad, but I’d also suggest, further along the road from where we were and, more pointedly, where we were heading. However, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s next season where we going to be up against it from the off; which is why an under-pressure Ollie could be a powder keg.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:03 - Jan 16 with 3381 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 18:57 - Jan 15 by LongsufferingR

One thing I've noticed during the last couple of games is how the subs are joining in the goal celebrations even though they haven't been picked for the match. Just take a look at Sylla after Smyth scores v Cardiff and Oteh v Burton.

This is not a squad that is not together, not playing for the manager, confused by him, critical of him.

I haven't seen a single poster on here saying that IH is the perfect manager at the moment, yet anybody that doesn't want him sacked is apparently part of a love-in. Well the only love-in I can see is amongst a tight-knit squad with no egos that is doing it's best in difficult circumstances.

Danny Gabbidon? He may well be right in every word he says, but seriously, who cares?

Well exactly. Posted about this back at the time in August / September but it's worth repeating on this thread I think. I met Joe Lumley at a house party in Essex, had a 15 / 20 minutes chat with him and long story short he said he loved being at the club since Holloway had taken over and was loved by the current set of players. Had absolutely no reason to disbelieve him and it's pretty evident to this day I'd say.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:24 - Jan 16 with 3353 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 00:11 - Jan 16 by PlanetHonneywood

A little more consistency from Ollie would help. We are also dealing with footballers here, so simplicity and calm assertiveness often go along way compared to manic confusion.

We’re short of where we could be with this squad, but I’d also suggest, further along the road from where we were and, more pointedly, where we were heading. However, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s next season where we going to be up against it from the off; which is why an under-pressure Ollie could be a powder keg.

Why next season mate? I see this one as being the tough one. We should have some transfer wiggle room this summer and hopefully the curve will start to go the right way (if it hasn't already, which it probably has, imperceptibly). I do have the fear that we could lose, say, Onuoha, plus Freeman and/or Luongo ands Smithies, which would be tough to recover from - is that what you mean?

Bare bones.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:36 - Jan 16 with 3332 viewsrobith

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:10 - Jan 15 by WestbourneR

Hang on the lovers are all dismissing it as rubbish. The guy has been very clear in what he says and it all fits with the problems we've been having. That's the fact.

I notice none of you seem to think what he says about Mark Hughes is rubbish.

I think there are blinkers on here are from the people who want to support Holloway no matter what.

I personally think he's a poor manager and Gabbidon's interview lays out exactly why. If you want to put up an interview laying the opposition then I'll be all ears.

Literally no one has dismissed it as rubbish - in fact most people's replies have been pretty accepting of his failings
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:43 - Jan 16 with 3327 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’m always suspicious of players with more clubs than Tiger Woods criticising managers.

Maybe it’s you mate.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 15:18 - Jan 16 with 3285 viewsWestbourneR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 14:36 - Jan 16 by robith

Literally no one has dismissed it as rubbish - in fact most people's replies have been pretty accepting of his failings

That post was from a while back on this thread - before the more reasoned responses. Still, maybe I exaggerated.

By the way - I've just read Northern's talk on the vitriol vs Holloway sent by some 'fans' on twitter. I may say that I don't rate him as a manager on here but I want to be clear I would never be involved in sending him abuse. I don't even use twitter. I think those people are idiots.

I do know that Ollie and his team are doing their best.

Whether their best is enough is another thing.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 17:07 - Jan 16 with 3221 viewsPinnerPaul

I tell you what - as he has played nearly 600 professional games AND managed nearly 950, he would have to be pretty unique as a human to

a) Not know just a TAD more than any of us
b) Not worked out by now how professional footballers' minds work
c) Be so clueless but still make a decent living after all these years

Does anyone seriously think that given the 100s of players he has played with and 100s more he has managed that if he was rubbish, it might just might be taken as read in the game and he wouldn't be anywhere near any job ever.

As always, when we're doing well its the players, when we're doing badly its the manager.

5th in 'Last 6' table - how's that happened then?

Jeez!
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 17:59 - Jan 16 with 3195 viewsGroveR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 17:07 - Jan 16 by PinnerPaul

I tell you what - as he has played nearly 600 professional games AND managed nearly 950, he would have to be pretty unique as a human to

Does anyone seriously think that given the 100s of players he has played with and 100s more he has managed that if he was rubbish, it might just might be taken as read in the game and he wouldn't be anywhere near any job ever.

As always, when we're doing well its the players, when we're doing badly its the manager.

Jeez!

No beef with "hollie" but as someone else put it on here, no other business continually rewards failure like football. Peter Reid is living proof of that.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 18:15 - Jan 16 with 3180 viewsPinnerPaul

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 17:27 - Jan 15 by OnlyMe

Tell the fans exactly where we stand (or where the owners think we stand) re: FFP and potential punishments and what the owners might or might not do with them if and when we get hit and THEN it will be easier/fairer to judge the manager, DOF, coaches and scouts. Surely?

Tony F has said owners will pay the fine.

We know the fine has been levied & that we are appealing

FL have also said they will 'work with our member club' once it is finally resolved - which to me means that will not want us to go bust because of it - which - see first point above - we won't!
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 19:32 - Jan 16 with 3122 viewsBenny_the_Ball

First off let me start by saying that I value Danny Gabbidon's opinion about as much as I value a boil on the buttocks. I'm not Ollie's biggest fan by any stretch, but my opinion of him won't be shaped by a man who epitomized everything that is wrong with modern day football.

Ollie may not be the most gifted manager but he is a pretty good fit given the constraints that QPR are currently working under. If he comfortably keeps us in the championship then a change of first team manager is not warranted. The directors have bigger problems to solve, most notably getting our finances in order and laying some firm foundations to build on (a training ground would be a good start).

Players will invariably like the managers they played regularly for and dislike those who didn't rate them. For every Danny Gabbidon there's a Charlie Adams who holds a polar opposite view:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-players-s
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 20:17 - Jan 16 with 3089 viewsWestbourneR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 19:32 - Jan 16 by Benny_the_Ball

First off let me start by saying that I value Danny Gabbidon's opinion about as much as I value a boil on the buttocks. I'm not Ollie's biggest fan by any stretch, but my opinion of him won't be shaped by a man who epitomized everything that is wrong with modern day football.

Ollie may not be the most gifted manager but he is a pretty good fit given the constraints that QPR are currently working under. If he comfortably keeps us in the championship then a change of first team manager is not warranted. The directors have bigger problems to solve, most notably getting our finances in order and laying some firm foundations to build on (a training ground would be a good start).

Players will invariably like the managers they played regularly for and dislike those who didn't rate them. For every Danny Gabbidon there's a Charlie Adams who holds a polar opposite view:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-players-s

Point taken Benny - that is a glowing review of Ollie and I'm as open to it as the negative report from Gabbidon.

Very heartening to read actually. Good find.

I'll admit the tactically astute part surprised me but I have no doubt he's bubbly and that he can motivate players. They have always looked like they're playing hard for him - that never been in doubt.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 21:37 - Jan 16 with 3036 viewsDorse

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 17:59 - Jan 16 by GroveR

No beef with "hollie" but as someone else put it on here, no other business continually rewards failure like football. Peter Reid is living proof of that.

No, Peter Reid is living proof that humans and monkeys are related.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 21:54 - Jan 16 with 3019 viewsGroveR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 21:37 - Jan 16 by Dorse

No, Peter Reid is living proof that humans and monkeys are related.

Ah the "monkey's heed", always good value

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 02:16 - Jan 17 with 2933 viewsOnlyMe

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 17:59 - Jan 16 by GroveR

"Hollie" (spelt Holly) was in Red Dwarf --- and in a popular winter combo with Ivy. It has also affected some Christmas nights.

I know this because I have been a big Red Dwarf fan from the show's debut and have lived through some winters. And some Christmas nights.
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 09:27 - Jan 17 with 2820 viewsWestbourneR

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 02:16 - Jan 17 by OnlyMe

"Hollie" (spelt Holly) was in Red Dwarf --- and in a popular winter combo with Ivy. It has also affected some Christmas nights.

I know this because I have been a big Red Dwarf fan from the show's debut and have lived through some winters. And some Christmas nights.

It's a reference to TF's book.

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 10:11 - Jan 17 with 2782 viewsBlue_Castello

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 17:07 - Jan 16 by PinnerPaul

Jeez!

Thanks Paul a lot of that is common sense but it appears people's judgement gets clouded when supporting a football team.
Look I don't agree with some of his selections, tactics or substitutions but I don't manage the football team and take the players in training. Some players will not be happy and its invariably the ones who don't get regularly selected for the team, which quite often is because their either out of form or just not good enough.
What I am interested in is the opinion of the current squad and judging by sound bites it's currently very good, take the conversation with Lumley as an example, with a very good team spirit, that doesn't happen without a good manager/coach somebody who is motivational.

I don't agree with the statement that considering the squad we have we should be doing better, have a look at other teams squads in the division, the majority have got better options, certainly in the striking department where in Clive's own words recently we don't have a decent striker.
Considering the constraints Ollie is working under he is doing a good job, we are fifth in the form table which is helped by defenders getting back to fitness, where we sit is about our level although we should be above Ipswich they are shite apart from Celina on loan from City. Joking aside Ipswich continually get to the same level with a McCarthy team that just works their socks off and gets results, at the moment that's the best we can hope to achieve.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2018 10:24]
Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 10:45 - Jan 17 with 2760 viewsSomersetHoops

Holloway cares about QPR.
Of recent incoming managers I can name some that didn't.
Hughes
Redknapp
Hasselebaink

Probably several others.

Do we really want another one like them? Because that is what we would get, although any manager with a rising reputation would not want to come to QPR unless they were from divisions below us and see it a a step towards improving there career.

Of course Holloway is not perfect, but he does care and sometimes when things aren't working out he tries something different. That is a risk he takes in the search for something that works and when it doesn't work out he is an idiot and when it does he is lucky to some and a genius to others. All he is doing is managing a difficult situation.

Since Holloway took over there have been so many constraints on what he can do in terms of bringing in players or trying to offload players we can no longer afford. He has had to manage this while building team spirit and getting the players to play with the same commitment he has and I think in that respect he is doing a good job and deserves our support.

Who's Next?

Ian Holloway as Manager, a players view. on 11:35 - Jan 17 with 2727 viewsW7Ranger

You gotta feel for Olly. He's managed QPR for approximately 7 years in total, and in that whole time hasn't had a pot to piss in when it comes to transfers!! But he's never moaned about it. He deals with the hand he's been dealt with with positivity, hunger and desire, whilst getting pelters from a section of the fan base. Taking all that into consideration, I think he's doing a brilliant job personally!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024