Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... 23:14 - Jan 23 with 10912 viewswestberksr

Just mentioned it in passing when we were sat there on Saturday.

Went to his first game aged 10 in 1948.

All I could think was "you poor old sod!"

Then I realised I've been going for 41 years and it's his bloody fault!

When we are away he even goes to watch Hayes & Yeading with a neighbour, having also followed Hayes all over the place as a youngster too. Bloody hell he's watched some shite over the years
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 23:26 - Jan 23 with 5756 viewsted_hendrix

Nice thread Stuart, hope your Dad is well I haven't seen him since the play off final give him my regards.

1958 was my first game at LR, yep we lost that too

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 23:31 - Jan 23 with 5752 viewsPunteR

Your dad should be in the forever Rs club westberksr.
Ledge.
My first game was about 84/85 i think. Against liverpool.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 23:39 - Jan 23 with 5735 viewsShotKneesHoop

Mine was against Brentford 1961 2-2 draw I think.

All I can remember is it pissing down all afternoon, getting soaked with wet feet as puddles covered the duckboards on the Griffin Park half way line and Bedford scoring 2 goals.

I should have taken that as an omen. Unfortunately for some reason I was hooked on the hoops..

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 23:47 - Jan 23 with 5724 viewsBrightonhoop

That's longer than Ron Gould.

Fair play to your Dad, man.
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 23:58 - Jan 23 with 5703 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hello Westberks.

Did your Dad live in Kilburn by any chance and used to get the 31 bus to Shepherds Bush on match days?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 23:58]
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 02:02 - Jan 24 with 5651 viewsBoston

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 23:58 - Jan 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

Hello Westberks.

Did your Dad live in Kilburn by any chance and used to get the 31 bus to Shepherds Bush on match days?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 23:58]

Cold case on unpaid fares is it?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 02:13 - Jan 24 with 5649 viewsNov77

41 years for me too.
First game was against West Brom, it was Leighton James debut. They had the three degrees, we had Stanley, won 2-1, Bowles and Eastoe scored.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 06:46 - Jan 24 with 5565 viewsHantsR

1948! I was only an infant, mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
Login to get fewer ads

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 07:24 - Jan 24 with 5518 viewsEsox_Lucius

I began gloryhunting with QPR in the 1966-67 season when a best friends dad, who worked at CAV, said he would take us to watch football. The start of a real rollercoaster journey.

The grass is always greener.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 08:23 - Jan 24 with 5447 viewscolinallcars

1955 for me.....home to the mighty Shrewsbury
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 08:48 - Jan 24 with 5409 viewspaulparker

im a bit of a softie when I hear things like this so I think fair play to your old fella stu I wonder what he would pick as his best all time Rangers team

as for Hayes I used to follow them a bit when I was teenager as I had mates who used to go to mellowlane school , they were the millwall of non league football , especially in their FA cup runs to say they were eventful would be an understatement , the games against Cardiff, Peterborough, Fulham and Crawley were very lively

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 08:57 - Jan 24 with 5399 viewsWatfordR

Easy one to remember for me, Stan's home debut vs the Florists in 1972. Won 3-0 with Stan scoring and running the show.
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 09:59 - Jan 24 with 5326 viewssouthbrookstreet

1955 my Primary school Coverdale nearby loftus road were giving away free tickets for the west london v harrow schools final and while there I noticed Rs were at home the following Sat at home to Northampton town and after being 2-0 down the Rs came back to win 3-2.... yeah I was hooked on Qpr and football that was 1955-56 season.... adding to that I even watched 3 games on a good friday in the fifties.. Fulham v barnsley 11am... Chelsea v Blackpool 3pm and finally in the evening Qpr v Ummm forget ... nowadays I would not be able to afford all the match programs for the games now... let alone the admission fees
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 10:14 - Jan 24 with 5279 viewsHendonHoop

My first game was V. Mansfield Town 0-0 1967 followed by Peterborough Utd 0-0 a few weeks later. Wondered what a scored goal looked like. My first memory was of two little elderly ladies sitting in the row in front and shouting at dear old Jim Langley every time he got the ball, " Come on Jim me Darlin' !! "
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 10:14 - Jan 24 with 5273 viewsstevec

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 07:24 - Jan 24 by Esox_Lucius

I began gloryhunting with QPR in the 1966-67 season when a best friends dad, who worked at CAV, said he would take us to watch football. The start of a real rollercoaster journey.

Same here, home to Middlesbro. Think we won 4-0, how times have changed.
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 10:17 - Jan 24 with 5269 viewspaulparker

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 09:59 - Jan 24 by southbrookstreet

1955 my Primary school Coverdale nearby loftus road were giving away free tickets for the west london v harrow schools final and while there I noticed Rs were at home the following Sat at home to Northampton town and after being 2-0 down the Rs came back to win 3-2.... yeah I was hooked on Qpr and football that was 1955-56 season.... adding to that I even watched 3 games on a good friday in the fifties.. Fulham v barnsley 11am... Chelsea v Blackpool 3pm and finally in the evening Qpr v Ummm forget ... nowadays I would not be able to afford all the match programs for the games now... let alone the admission fees

Sad to hear you have been priced out mate , fans like you are the lifeblood of this club

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 10:31 - Jan 24 with 5240 viewsNortholt_Rs

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 08:48 - Jan 24 by paulparker

im a bit of a softie when I hear things like this so I think fair play to your old fella stu I wonder what he would pick as his best all time Rangers team

as for Hayes I used to follow them a bit when I was teenager as I had mates who used to go to mellowlane school , they were the millwall of non league football , especially in their FA cup runs to say they were eventful would be an understatement , the games against Cardiff, Peterborough, Fulham and Crawley were very lively

We’re Hayes
We’re Yeading
We’ll kick your f.ucking ‘ead in!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 10:34 - Jan 24 with 5233 viewsMick_S

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 10:31 - Jan 24 by Northolt_Rs

We’re Hayes
We’re Yeading
We’ll kick your f.ucking ‘ead in!

The Millwall of non-league football - Evening Standard.

Sorry PP - Just read your post.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 11:25]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 10:38 - Jan 24 with 5218 viewscolinallcars

My first heroes were the wing halves - George Petchey and Peter Angell. Petchey was hard as nails and his speciality was a body swerving run followed by a thunderous shot. Angell was no shrinking violet either but a bit more skill and also a very hard shot.
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 10:42 - Jan 24 with 5205 viewsDavieQPR

For my son it was only 2010 for me 1953, for my Dad 1930 and for my Grandfather who knows. Both my father and grandfather lived to their late 90s..
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:02 - Jan 24 with 5165 viewsBoston

First game, dunno. The oppo, dunno. The score, dunno. Life will always be a mystery to me.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:05 - Jan 24 with 5162 viewssouthbrookstreet

thanks for your comment paulparker sorry if I misled I still go i am a senior st holder
Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:11 - Jan 24 with 5146 viewsMick_S

The Hopwood family from Northolt took me to my first ever Rangers game - against Brighton Reserves; we stood in the School End. I went expecting Stan Bowles and got Ron Abbot. I should have known.
The reason I mention the family name is that my friend's dad owned either a plumbing or electrical company and used to have an advertising hoarding more or less next to the directors box (that's how I remember it). There is a photo in one of our old programmes showing this clearly, but I'm buggered if I can find it. Something along the lines of Hopwood and Sons - followed by the job title. It would have been around 1972-3ish.

Vague post alert.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 11:15]

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:15 - Jan 24 with 5132 viewsBoston

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:11 - Jan 24 by Mick_S

The Hopwood family from Northolt took me to my first ever Rangers game - against Brighton Reserves; we stood in the School End. I went expecting Stan Bowles and got Ron Abbot. I should have known.
The reason I mention the family name is that my friend's dad owned either a plumbing or electrical company and used to have an advertising hoarding more or less next to the directors box (that's how I remember it). There is a photo in one of our old programmes showing this clearly, but I'm buggered if I can find it. Something along the lines of Hopwood and Sons - followed by the job title. It would have been around 1972-3ish.

Vague post alert.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 11:15]

Vaguely remember it.

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:16 - Jan 24 with 5129 viewsMick_S

Dad's been watching QPR for 70 years... on 11:15 - Jan 24 by Boston

Vaguely remember it.

That's two of us then.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024