Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Six Nations 2018 12:41 - Jan 31 with 21656 viewsrobith

Kicks off this weekend! Thought it might be good to take people's mind off the doom at the moment.

Some shameless pluging as well, you may know I used to write the old blogs, well I've now started a podcast as well, which I'd be honoured if you gave it a listen. Preview of the tournament and my squeaky voice for you delection

https://soundcloud.com/user-152690766/1-six-nations-preview

(apols for plugging clive, let me know if it's not cool and I'll take it down)

Anyway open tournament - England have a lot of injuries as do Wales. Kinda makes Ireland favourites by default, and despite my recent scepticism on us, we really should be winning it.

Scotland are the glamour team, but they're missing a lot of front rowers so will their backs get the ball enough? Wales have had to pick a lot of the Scarlets players so will be interesting to see how they play.

I reckon

Ireland
England
Scotland
Wales
France
Italy

FAO: people who will moan about pubs with made up stories about rugby fans. We've heard it all before so maybe lay off it? Surely preferable to gastro pubs full of Cockney Reds on a Sunday #winkyface #banter #earlybirdcatchestheworm
Six Nations 2018 on 13:06 - Jan 31 with 9448 viewsOldPedro

Looking forward to it - think it is between Ireland & England, so could be a good finish on the last weekend.

It will be interesting if Scotland can continue their good form from November and whether their front row injuries will give them problems especially against Ireland & England.

As a Wales fan, I hope we can win our home games and develop an improved style - can't see us challenging to win the title.

Think Italy will be a bit more competitive but may not win a game. France - who knows.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Six Nations 2018 on 13:51 - Jan 31 with 9402 viewsstowmarketrange

Let’s hope that Italy don’t turn us over this weekend.That would definitely put a dampener on my Rome trip.
They seem to be talking up Scotland’s chances,but they did only thrash a depleted Aussie side after the sending off.
It should be an interesting few weeks anyway.
Six Nations 2018 on 13:59 - Jan 31 with 9390 viewsSimonJames

I agree with:
1. Ireland
2. England
3. Scotland
6. Italy

Can't decide between Wales and France. If Wales win their first home game then I think they'll be 4th, otherwise 5th.

I don't think there will be a Grand Slam. I suspect England will lose in Scotland but beat Ireland at home. And provided Scotland win in Wales, then I expect it to be 4 wins each between the top 3 and final positions decided by bonus points.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Six Nations 2018 on 14:14 - Jan 31 with 9375 viewsWokingR

Well at least England are in Italy this weekend so the train to Clapham won't be full of knobs.
Six Nations 2018 on 14:26 - Jan 31 with 9360 viewsrobith

Six Nations 2018 on 14:14 - Jan 31 by WokingR

Well at least England are in Italy this weekend so the train to Clapham won't be full of knobs.

The train to Clapham is always full of knobs surely because it's full of people who live in Clapham?
Six Nations 2018 on 14:28 - Jan 31 with 9358 viewseasthertsr

Despite the injuries I think England will make it three in a row.They have ridiculous strength in depth and the Irish have to come to Twickenham. The game in Edinburgh looks very tasty however, but I reckon England will just about have enough.
Six Nations 2018 on 15:26 - Jan 31 with 9319 viewsToast_R

France v England falls on my birthday. All dayer will ensue...
Six Nations 2018 on 15:26 - Jan 31 with 9322 viewsPhildo

Do hope it gets to an England Ireland decider on 17th March for a slam. That said the 6 nations rarely turns out to follow pre-tournament forecasts and Ireland never sit well with a favourites tag around their neck.
Login to get fewer ads

Six Nations 2018 on 16:45 - Jan 31 with 9266 viewsBlackCrowe

England
Ireland
Scotland
France
Wales
Italy

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Six Nations 2018 on 17:45 - Jan 31 with 9221 viewsRs_Holy

Six Nations 2018 on 15:26 - Jan 31 by Phildo

Do hope it gets to an England Ireland decider on 17th March for a slam. That said the 6 nations rarely turns out to follow pre-tournament forecasts and Ireland never sit well with a favourites tag around their neck.

Oh dear.... 17th of March you say
Six Nations 2018 on 09:43 - Feb 1 with 9107 viewsrobith

Podcast is now available on itunes and all other podcast apps now, which is pretty exciting!
Six Nations 2018 on 09:52 - Feb 1 with 9099 viewsPhildo

Six Nations 2018 on 09:43 - Feb 1 by robith

Podcast is now available on itunes and all other podcast apps now, which is pretty exciting!

Listened last night - very good - had my kids in the car (one plays rugby) and they all sat and listened too. My daughter asked what radio station it was on!
Six Nations 2018 on 10:19 - Feb 1 with 9074 viewsrobith

Six Nations 2018 on 09:52 - Feb 1 by Phildo

Listened last night - very good - had my kids in the car (one plays rugby) and they all sat and listened too. My daughter asked what radio station it was on!

That's possibly the nicest thing anyone's ever said. Much respect to your daughter
Six Nations 2018 on 10:38 - Feb 1 with 9062 viewsswisscottage

England for me.

Playing Ireland at Twickenham is the clincher. England have been managing to win consistently whilst not playing particularly well over the past 12 months and despite the injuries still have a strength in depth the the other six nations can only dream of.

Big miss is Eliott Daly who's out for the whole tournament. He could fill in so many spots that with Brown and Rokoduguni injured he will be missed particularly badly. Whilst Brown is back in training in the camp, I'm not sure Jones will risk him against Italy .. but we'll see.

England have already been playing without Big Billy for the best part of a year, so its not like his absence is anything new, however with Hughes out for the first three games at least it puts a spanner in the works. That being said England's back row still have options and it will be interesting if Jones goes down the route of a more mobile number 8 in their absence. Itoje is back fit and with Robshaw back in training as well, I think the back row will be fine.
Six Nations 2018 on 11:53 - Feb 1 with 9032 viewsMrSheen

Beware of France. A complete mess on and off the field, but their two toughest games are at home (Ireland & England) and they have a great record in the year after Lions' tours - before 2014, they won the previous 5 times. Probably not good enough to win themselves but will stop someone else. As long as I don't have to watch them...
Six Nations 2018 on 12:21 - Feb 1 with 9011 viewsSimonJames

Six Nations 2018 on 11:53 - Feb 1 by MrSheen

Beware of France. A complete mess on and off the field, but their two toughest games are at home (Ireland & England) and they have a great record in the year after Lions' tours - before 2014, they won the previous 5 times. Probably not good enough to win themselves but will stop someone else. As long as I don't have to watch them...

Their clubs are very strong, but there just isn't the buy in from the owners at a national level.
If the French ever get a national team manager/coach who can galvanise the clubs (someone like Raphaël Ibañez) then the rest of the world had better watch out.
But I doubt that Jacques Brunel will be the answer this year.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Six Nations 2018 on 16:01 - Feb 1 with 8921 viewsPlanetHonneywood

With England having the rugby equivalent of Mourinho entering his third year in charge of the chariot, I’m hoping the 6N ends with him in happy mode.

Really in the hands of both England and Ireland to get to the final game as a decider. Whether they’re both arrive unbeaten is hard to call.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Six Nations 2018 on 11:27 - Feb 2 with 8801 viewsElHoop

I'm struggling to understand why Ireland are so well fancied. They lost two games last time, and have to travel to Twickenham and Paris - they've never won at both in the same season apparently. They won't win at both this time either. They'll be lucky to win at one of them - not massively convincing against France last season and the French are under new management. There was only one away win last season in the whole tournament, if you exclude Italy - England scraping home in Cardiff. It's tough to win anywhere except in Italy. Even they might put up a show this time.

England should be odds on in my view, so are some sort of bet.

Wales I think are worth a wee wager, simply because they are Wales and they'll show up, come what may. I think that they'll beat Scotland in what could be the most enjoyable game of the lot. They've got a lot of Scarlets and youth but if they beat Scotland then they'll go to Twickenham on the up - they've got the bollocks to win there in a scrap and that could actually be the decider, not the Irish game. They'll certainly show up at Twickenham if they beat Scotland, which I expect them to do.

France - surely not enough time to get their act together yet.

Italy - would be nice to see them improve and frighten a few.

Scotland - they've been my favourite side of late, but I fear that they are scraping the barrel up front and they may pay the price this time around. They may end up 5th in fact.

For me:

England
Wales
Ireland
France
Scotland
Italy.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 11:30]
Six Nations 2018 on 14:11 - Feb 2 with 8742 viewsheadhoops

Will come down to the England - Ireland game.

England have massive strength - replacements include: George, Hepburn, Williams, Kruis, Underhill, Care, Joseph, Nowell. Starters in many of the other nations.

France will be the unknown quantity.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Six Nations 2018 on 16:02 - Feb 4 with 8615 viewsOldPedro

Very pleased with the Wales performance yesterday - thought we could win but never expected a result like that.

Thought Ireland were lucky in the end - lack of invention from them - just seemed happy for Sexton and Murray to kick, kick, kick. But they will get better.

England have started well against Italy - currently leading at half time. Expect them to pull away in the last 20 mins.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Six Nations 2018 on 19:00 - Feb 4 with 8566 viewsBlackCrowe

Some of that England play and finishing was flipping amazing.

Not sure how much we've learned from this weekend, other than Wales look back in the mix. And Scotland are a bit one dimensional. And France are better than i thought. And Ireland a bit flat but will improve.

We learned quite a lot actually.

Great stuff.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Six Nations 2018 on 19:04 - Feb 4 with 8562 viewsted_hendrix

Six Nations 2018 on 16:02 - Feb 4 by OldPedro

Very pleased with the Wales performance yesterday - thought we could win but never expected a result like that.

Thought Ireland were lucky in the end - lack of invention from them - just seemed happy for Sexton and Murray to kick, kick, kick. But they will get better.

England have started well against Italy - currently leading at half time. Expect them to pull away in the last 20 mins.

"England have started well against Italy - currently leading at half time. Expect them to pull away in the last 20 mins."

They did indeed.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Six Nations 2018 on 09:24 - Feb 5 with 8433 viewsElHoop

I'm not sure that anything massively surprising happened there.

England were very good - they seemed to do well at the things that the opposition can't control - the basics. It looked polished, fluent. OK Italy started slowly and were in trouble, but they came back at us and then faded at the end, but they weren't a pushover. If they don't start slowly and learn a bit more then they'll give some of the other sides a lot of bother - certainly against the handicap even if they can't necessarliy win any games yet. I'm not sure that England have been given enough credit for that win, but we shall see what happens next.

Wales were OK against Scotland, but the Scots had an absoluite shocker. Never showed up at all - their black box flight recorder is beeping away in the Taff and they need to find it. I thought that Wales did a job but do they have enough to trouble England? I somehow doubt it on that performance as England have improved since last season by the look of it. Wales would need to be more clinical and maybe they'll bring back one or two of the injured to try to achieve that. Should be a great game next Saturday.

France v Ireland - I've not watched that one yet. It sounds like a drab affair with a big ending. I'm still not sure what all the fuss is about Ireland. Maybe they'll improve but they'll need to. If they are truly the nearest to England at the moment then it's looking good for a slam for England.
Six Nations 2018 on 09:36 - Feb 5 with 8420 viewsrobith

Initial thoughts

Scotland can get in the bin. That was a shameful performance. Wales need to keep grounded cos they beat nothing there.

Italy England felt like groundhog day - it was ever England Italy game I've ever seen.

France are still garbage - they didn't get into Ireland's 22 until the 65th minute and a different ref would've destroyed them. but I was livid with Ireland - awful game management, zero breakdown intensity. Got bailed out by having one of the best players in the world deliver 3 moments of magic under huge pressure in a 3 minute window (the drop out straight to Hendo, the cross field to Earls, and then the drop goal)
Six Nations 2018 on 10:31 - Feb 5 with 8394 viewsPhildo

Six Nations 2018 on 09:36 - Feb 5 by robith

Initial thoughts

Scotland can get in the bin. That was a shameful performance. Wales need to keep grounded cos they beat nothing there.

Italy England felt like groundhog day - it was ever England Italy game I've ever seen.

France are still garbage - they didn't get into Ireland's 22 until the 65th minute and a different ref would've destroyed them. but I was livid with Ireland - awful game management, zero breakdown intensity. Got bailed out by having one of the best players in the world deliver 3 moments of magic under huge pressure in a 3 minute window (the drop out straight to Hendo, the cross field to Earls, and then the drop goal)

....with a special mention for Murrays pass back to Sexton for the DK.

Scotland though. Dear me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024