Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Student/University Loans/Grants... 10:32 - Feb 7 with 1781 viewsW7Ranger

Does anyone on here know if you can use Student/University Loan for personal use?

e.g. to go towards your wedding or honeymoon/holiday or trying to launch your own business?

This is not something I have done or am intending to do, but I know someone who's partner (I believe) has done this and I'm wondering if this is actually legal?

Cheers.
Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:36 - Feb 7 with 1770 viewsRBlock

Most students spend it on booze, takeaways, and clothes. So ye, I think they'll be alright.
Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:40 - Feb 7 with 1760 viewsW7Ranger

Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:36 - Feb 7 by RBlock

Most students spend it on booze, takeaways, and clothes. So ye, I think they'll be alright.

That's a pity! Cos I can't stand the person that's doing it as I think she's taking my friend for a bit of a ride personally!

But was talking to someone about Student Loans yesterday and they reckon that what's she done and has been doing is illegal. I have no idea. Do they actually have to prove what that are spending their loans on?
Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:47 - Feb 7 with 1743 viewsRBlock

Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:40 - Feb 7 by W7Ranger

That's a pity! Cos I can't stand the person that's doing it as I think she's taking my friend for a bit of a ride personally!

But was talking to someone about Student Loans yesterday and they reckon that what's she done and has been doing is illegal. I have no idea. Do they actually have to prove what that are spending their loans on?

Money is paid directly from the student loans company to the uni for actual tuition fees. Then you get a non-means tested maintenance loan, and potentially a means tested maintenance grant.

When I was at uni, (which was only 4/5 years ago) nobody had to evidence what their loan was spent on at all. Being maintenance loans they were used on maintaining oneself on a day to day basis. Food, bills, transport etc. Asking them to prove that would be far too onerous, so no, they don't request proof.

I knew a few people who would spend their loans on holidays or clothes or whatever else, and then work throughout the term to fund themselves on a day to day.
Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:54 - Feb 7 with 1730 viewsW7Ranger

Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:47 - Feb 7 by RBlock

Money is paid directly from the student loans company to the uni for actual tuition fees. Then you get a non-means tested maintenance loan, and potentially a means tested maintenance grant.

When I was at uni, (which was only 4/5 years ago) nobody had to evidence what their loan was spent on at all. Being maintenance loans they were used on maintaining oneself on a day to day basis. Food, bills, transport etc. Asking them to prove that would be far too onerous, so no, they don't request proof.

I knew a few people who would spend their loans on holidays or clothes or whatever else, and then work throughout the term to fund themselves on a day to day.

Well she only works in Catering at Watford FC, so that's about 5 hours work every other Saturday!

Was a single mum, (but now recently married to my mate) so was probably on various types of income support. Apparently used a lot of her Loans towards there wedding last year, and subsequent honeymoon. Declared they were skint after the wedding, but she is now paying for them to go away to Cyprus for 4 days next week!!

Baffled!!
Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:54 - Feb 7 with 1729 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Most of my student load went on booze, and er, other things. No checks up on it.
Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:59 - Feb 7 with 1706 viewsRBlock

Student/University Loans/Grants... on 10:54 - Feb 7 by W7Ranger

Well she only works in Catering at Watford FC, so that's about 5 hours work every other Saturday!

Was a single mum, (but now recently married to my mate) so was probably on various types of income support. Apparently used a lot of her Loans towards there wedding last year, and subsequent honeymoon. Declared they were skint after the wedding, but she is now paying for them to go away to Cyprus for 4 days next week!!

Baffled!!

Sounds about right. Most students having not worked before, or if so only part time, the minted>skint cycle every three months sounds very familiar. Everyone is rich around September when the first loan hits, then towards the end of December they are all running on fumes because they can't budget. The next loan comes in at the start of January when the whole process starts again!
Student/University Loans/Grants... on 11:03 - Feb 7 with 1685 viewsW7Ranger

Ok cheers for the comments chaps.
Student/University Loans/Grants... on 11:16 - Feb 7 with 1655 viewsBathRanger

There are two parts to the student university loans:

1) the course fees (usually about £9000 per year for most universities/courses). These are paid direct to the university so the student never sees the money;

2) the maintenance loan - the amount the student receives is based on family income and is paid direct to the student to help pay for living costs while they study, e.g. accommodation, food, etc. Since it's paid direct to the student's bank account they could spend it on whatever they want. If they decide to spend it on something not related to their living costs then they'll have to find the money to live on from elsewhere, and they will still have to pay it back when they start earning. So yes a student could use their maintenance loan to pay for something else and I don't think it is illegal to do so, but probably no point unless someone else is paying for all their accommodation, food, etc, in full.

Edit - wrote this without seeing the other replies first!
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 11:18]
Login to get fewer ads

Student/University Loans/Grants... on 11:49 - Feb 7 with 1611 viewsW7Ranger

Student/University Loans/Grants... on 11:16 - Feb 7 by BathRanger

There are two parts to the student university loans:

1) the course fees (usually about £9000 per year for most universities/courses). These are paid direct to the university so the student never sees the money;

2) the maintenance loan - the amount the student receives is based on family income and is paid direct to the student to help pay for living costs while they study, e.g. accommodation, food, etc. Since it's paid direct to the student's bank account they could spend it on whatever they want. If they decide to spend it on something not related to their living costs then they'll have to find the money to live on from elsewhere, and they will still have to pay it back when they start earning. So yes a student could use their maintenance loan to pay for something else and I don't think it is illegal to do so, but probably no point unless someone else is paying for all their accommodation, food, etc, in full.

Edit - wrote this without seeing the other replies first!
[Post edited 7 Feb 2018 11:18]

Cheers Bath. She now has regular income in the form of her new husband!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024