Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? 22:29 - Feb 14 with 32115 viewsRangersDave

Hi guys,
Many of you won’t know my dad, he’s currently on his second internment in Kings Lynn hospital, this year, but this time it’s very serious.
He has fluid on the heart and it’s not draining, so it’s possibly surgery and we’ve been told to expect the worst.

My dads 82 now, lifelong rangers fan, as was his father, and he passed the baton to myself and my son.

Saw all the greats at rangers, went to white city, Wembley 4 times inc the playoff final.

Is registered disabled and hasn’t been to HQ for 18 or so years do to health and costs / transport.

He’s slightly Parkinson’s as well so every thing he says to me is about rangers for about 10 minutes then he’s on again about the same thing for 10 mins etc etc.

Loves the hoops, but I’m afraid (and in tears as I write this) the next couple of days will be his last hurrah. He’s got the last few ‘kick up the rrrrsssss’ by his bedside, and I’m out to see him in hospital tomorrow if he sees the night through.

Not sure what I’ll do without my dad, but for now, i’ll get by. Could I ask that if you can spare a minute, give a thought for him, in hospital. He’s not a religious chap, except when he remembers Stan on the Ball, or Dave Thomas on the wing, and how we cheered when we humbled Cologne in the Eufa cup, and neither am I, but I so want the miracle of another few years with him and will be praying tonight.

Thank you.
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 16:25 - Feb 18 with 3267 viewsRangersDave

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on dad.
He’s has all medicines , fluids, etc stopped and is being allowed to drift off.

I’m at his bedside now and he’s semi-comatose, although my son sent me a pic of dad waving the qpr flag outside Wembley after the play off final, so I put it on my I pad screen, spoke to him and he reacted, with a few moans, and I told him about the win yesterday, a few more moans.....fantastic, some semblance of dad’s still there.

His breathing is very very shallow now, I’m holding his hand, ironically the Rochdale match is on in the background so if he’s going to go, a football match with sounds could send him off nicely.

Final hours now I think, the hardest bit quite definately.
Urrrrrsssssss
Dave

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 16:30 - Feb 18 with 3253 viewsAgedR

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 16:25 - Feb 18 by RangersDave

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on dad.
He’s has all medicines , fluids, etc stopped and is being allowed to drift off.

I’m at his bedside now and he’s semi-comatose, although my son sent me a pic of dad waving the qpr flag outside Wembley after the play off final, so I put it on my I pad screen, spoke to him and he reacted, with a few moans, and I told him about the win yesterday, a few more moans.....fantastic, some semblance of dad’s still there.

His breathing is very very shallow now, I’m holding his hand, ironically the Rochdale match is on in the background so if he’s going to go, a football match with sounds could send him off nicely.

Final hours now I think, the hardest bit quite definately.
Urrrrrsssssss
Dave

Solidarity with you and your dad. Wishing you both peace.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 16:35 - Feb 18 with 3236 viewsdannyblue

These moments are eternal.

Peace and love from a stranger.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 16:46 - Feb 18 with 3213 views2Thomas2Bowles

Take solace that you are with him and he is not alone and can hear you telling him you love him.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 17:48 - Feb 18 with 3152 viewsTripleR

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 16:46 - Feb 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Take solace that you are with him and he is not alone and can hear you telling him you love him.

Well put, my sentiments exactly.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 19:19 - Feb 18 with 3077 viewsCiderwithRsie

Best wishes mate, "+1" to what 2Thomas2Bowles said from me too. And remember that if it hurts, it's because he was great and you had the privilege of being his son. It's the price we all pay for love, and the more you pay the more valuable it is.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 20:51 - Feb 18 with 3008 viewsdanehoop

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 19:19 - Feb 18 by CiderwithRsie

Best wishes mate, "+1" to what 2Thomas2Bowles said from me too. And remember that if it hurts, it's because he was great and you had the privilege of being his son. It's the price we all pay for love, and the more you pay the more valuable it is.

This.

Never knowingly understood

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 21:06 - Feb 18 with 2993 viewsStevenageRanger

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 20:51 - Feb 18 by danehoop

This.

Dave, I have only just seen this thread. So moving. Keep strong x
Login to get fewer ads

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 21:37 - Feb 18 with 2971 viewsbillericaydicky

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Dave - much love coming your way from all the QPR family. I’m Rangers as my Dad was and my two lads are because of me.

Special memories are special forever.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 21:46 - Feb 18 with 2959 viewsBenny_the_Ball

My heart goes out to you, Dave. Take comfort in knowing he is surrounded by love and his thoughts, hopes and dreams will live on in you.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 21:57 - Feb 18 with 2945 viewsLblock

So glad the R's have given your old fella a result on his way out.

The QPR family are with you

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 23:42 - Feb 18 with 2861 viewsBrianMcCarthy

A genuinely lovely thread, one of family and camaraderie. A joy to read.

I hope it gives your family some solace, Dave.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:29 - Feb 19 with 2758 viewsenfieldargh

My Dad as a doctor was allowed to help with my delivery..

I was there at his bedside holding his hand as he passed over.I had just told him about Rob Steiners goals against Ipswich.

He saw me into this world and I, like you was holding his hand to see him out.

These memories never leave you as life goes on. Do him proud and carry on his legacy.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:51 - Feb 19 with 2736 viewsheadhoops

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 08:29 - Feb 19 by enfieldargh

My Dad as a doctor was allowed to help with my delivery..

I was there at his bedside holding his hand as he passed over.I had just told him about Rob Steiners goals against Ipswich.

He saw me into this world and I, like you was holding his hand to see him out.

These memories never leave you as life goes on. Do him proud and carry on his legacy.

Circle of Life Enfield, lovely story.
Thoughts and prayers with you Dave.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 12:40 - Feb 19 with 2638 viewsRangersDave

Sat by his bedside all night, and am just taking a break for a couple of hours while mum sits in with him.

God last night was awful, I think he’s now lost hearing, sight and speech, and was in great pain despite the meds.

I managed to get him to sleep (with both eyes open strangely) by stroking his head and neck, which he obviously took comfort in.
Today is 72 hours since we were told that’s all he has left. The docs said they will give him an ecg and scan to check the fluid on his heart, but reality is that they will never bring him back to us, he’s too far gone.

I’m afraid I think I have a few more hours of pain and tears ahead, not for myself but for my father, who doesn’t deserve this suffering.

Thanks as ever guys.
Dave

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 13:24 - Feb 19 with 2571 viewsLblock

Keep strong Dave
Keep strong

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 13:35 - Feb 19 with 2545 viewsPlanetHonneywood

As emotional as this is time is for you all, you’ll find a strange peace will descend on you and your family.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 14:11 - Feb 19 with 2511 viewsHantsR

You know that we're all gunning for you and your family Dave, I hope you're feeling all the warmth and support from us all.
I wonder if it's worth sharing my personal experiences of difficult times and possibly taking time to write down all your thoughts and reminiscences as you reflect on his life and the times you've shared together. No doubt some tears and hopefully some laughter.

I only suggest this as I believe it was cathartic for me and you've already started along that route with this special thread.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 14:16 - Feb 19 with 2499 viewsSimonJames

Best wishes.

100% of people who drink water will die.

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 16:46 - Feb 19 with 2394 viewsDWQPR

Keep strong Dave. Your Dad’ll be eternally proud of you and your family. You are all doing only what you can do and it will bring comfort to you all in the days and weeks ahead and those small moments you’ve had with him over the last few days when he has been lucid you will treasure forever.

David

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 17:14 - Feb 19 with 2358 viewsterryb

Thanks for the updates Dave. I'm sure that you & your family will never regret the time & energy you have spent at your father's bedside.

Please don't forget though, that you are allowed to shed bucket loads of tears at the correct moment. Many of us have tried not to show our feelings, but inevitably we felt better after we did.

Thankfully, your strength & love for your father & family is there for us all to see. Keep going mate.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 19:09 - Feb 19 with 2266 viewsRangersDave

Hi everyone,
It’s my deepest regret to tell you that at 6.40 this evening in Kings Lynn hospital with me stroking his brow, my father, and lifelong QPR fan died peacefully.

I’ve cried buckets in the last 20 minutes as I informed the family, but strangely enough, I have a calm inner peace going on, knowing that all my friends out there in QPR land have helped and guided me this last week.

My dad had the last laugh though, I looked away for a moment, and sudden;y became aware of the quiet in the room. I turned and looked at him but he had gone.......so I called his name, and that last synapse of energy sparked and he gasped a moaning last breath almost 60 seconds after his ‘first’ last breath. Typical of the joker and made me smile and actually broke my mood.

Rangers have gained another fan star upstairs tonight.
You guys on the other hand have, despite our sometimes disagreeing on stuff, gained a lifelong friend in me.

Goodbye dad, I love you, thank you for my life and your love and friendship.
Hello mates, I love you too, thank you for your support.

Dave

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 19:16 - Feb 19 with 2259 views2Thomas2Bowles

RIP so sorry for your loss.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 19:26 - Feb 19 with 2240 viewsBrightonhoop

RIP. Sorry for your loss Dave.

Remember to look after yourself too in the days ahead.
A prayer for my father if you have a minute please? on 19:44 - Feb 19 with 2207 viewsbullythebear

My best wishes Dave. He signed off with a win and a clean sheet. He is now at peace and as tough as its been, I'm pleased you were able to share those last few hours and days together.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024