Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! 19:46 - Feb 24 with 4002 viewsbosh67

Seriously because t be honest if you don't get the boot after that kind of performance then you might as well reward it by giving him a lifetime contract.

Yes it is hard to be a manager. Yes you blood the kids. Yes you use the word pride and passion, and hurt and gutted (the latter more often than the former) and yes you can scream at the players - and no, who else would step in to this at this point in our history... but...

Today's inept performance was greeted with complete apathy by us fans because we are bored of it. With the exception of Bolton teams work out this 3-5-2 lop sided wingback bollo*ks in under ten minutes. It's the easiest most narrow system to counter attack against and we might as well be playing Pav in goal he's so far back. What a waste of time, effort, money and energy for us fans.

And yet regardless of now losing 36 games out of 69 the most obvious thing is that a good manager doesn't repeat the same mistake too often and yet Ollie keeps making the same one week in week out and it is the one thing he is totally set on.

We plod about never getting forward quick enough, never attacking with any width and never able to keep pace with a counter attack. It's narrow, lop sided, pedantic, predictable, boring, unadventurous tosh. If the system doesn't work we play hoof ball and the only time we look dangerous is when we play the ball in from the byline, but let's not let wingers be wingers. 45 years in and I am watching a system of play that I reckon I could get a group of chimpanzees to break down in less than 15 minutes.

Fulham are going to put ten past this lot if we don't play a simple system with actual width and enough defenders around to hold up counter attacks. But he won't do it. It will be the same starved of a left side system as always. Today due to injury and 'tactics' he removed the entire left defensive side and Forest very simply walked around that side and stuffed us at the end.

But it will never change so give Ollie a lifetime contract and we'll fork out our hard earned cash to watch the easiest team to play against get stuffed 75% of the time and if we go 2 3 or 4 down then we can use our neck muscles watching us hoof it up front from 50 yards away.

Fair play to Forest's finishing today but it was like taking candy from a baby. A lopsided, push over, tactic free baby.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:09 - Feb 24 with 3303 viewsthame_hoops

Take cover!

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:10 - Feb 24 with 3299 viewsbaz_qpr

Midfield 3 were appalling especially Luongo and Freeman, Pav was a nervous wreck and we've even managed to coach all that great movement out of young Smyth already. Always a disaster when we kick off towards the loft 1st half stupid to have done it regardless of the sun. Absolutely no evidence of "the plan". They had a minimum 2 v1 against us all over the pitch attacking and defending, they moved the ball quickly where we took 3 too many touches if we had not lumped it long to begin with, we pulled out of tackles. Our movement was dire. Deeply underwhelmed with Eze looks like he needs some league one loan time, certainly not the saviour.

This season can't end quick enough, without investment in some better quality and proven players and probably yet another new coaching team we will be in league one again within the next couple of seasons.

Problem is we are not progressing at best you could argue we've bottomed out but we've had 4 seasons of managed decline now, and no wonder the ground is half empty
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:28 - Feb 24 with 3197 viewsqprd

Ollies tactics were pathetic- persisting with a system which we clearly don’t have The personnel for .. perplexingly somehow the defensive wingback (Bidwell) was finding himself in advanced roles while the stacking wingback (pav) was way too deep

He totally mismanaged the subs, to the point where we had absolutely no defensive shape at the end. He also somehow managed not to use his third sub, opting to burn more Luongo Scowen and freeman minutes in a dead rubber (after they’ve played 3 full matches in a week) rather than give a kid a chance to run around a bit. His inability to figure out how to use that third sub absolutely sickened me and tells you more than anything else that the man is absolutely clueless and has no game plan

Because of the total imabalance going forward, we were only able to play hoof ball to smith

We were absolutely pathetic

Having said all that, what is the point of sacking ollie right now? Just let him keep us up and then sack him straight after the season. There’s no point of putting an interim manager in charge and I’d rather we look for a full time replacement at seasons end when the pool of available managers is larger
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:28 - Feb 24 with 3193 viewsBlackCrowe

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:10 - Feb 24 by baz_qpr

Midfield 3 were appalling especially Luongo and Freeman, Pav was a nervous wreck and we've even managed to coach all that great movement out of young Smyth already. Always a disaster when we kick off towards the loft 1st half stupid to have done it regardless of the sun. Absolutely no evidence of "the plan". They had a minimum 2 v1 against us all over the pitch attacking and defending, they moved the ball quickly where we took 3 too many touches if we had not lumped it long to begin with, we pulled out of tackles. Our movement was dire. Deeply underwhelmed with Eze looks like he needs some league one loan time, certainly not the saviour.

This season can't end quick enough, without investment in some better quality and proven players and probably yet another new coaching team we will be in league one again within the next couple of seasons.

Problem is we are not progressing at best you could argue we've bottomed out but we've had 4 seasons of managed decline now, and no wonder the ground is half empty

Don't think i"m a knee-jerker, but i think there's half a dozen very decent players. He's clearly a good bloke, but I just don't think he is the man to recr;uit, create, gel and progress a team.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:32 - Feb 24 with 3161 viewsdaveB

easy to blame tactics, i just thought players didn't play very well or do their jobs properly
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:37 - Feb 24 with 3112 viewsBlackCrowe

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:32 - Feb 24 by daveB

easy to blame tactics, i just thought players didn't play very well or do their jobs properly

Looks like we won the toss at the beginning and changed natural ends as Ollie thought the sun would be in the keepers eyes. In truth Smithies was pretty much blinded in the second half by low sun. Given that i more or less sit next the duggout, I could have told them that.. mastersroke

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:38 - Feb 24 with 3099 views2Thomas2Bowles

Here we go again
So who you going to get to come to a club so fecked in so many ways

Answers on a stamp?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:39 - Feb 24 with 3096 viewsbosh67

That's because they don't know what their jobs are week to week in this system. I feel very sorry for Bidwell. Thankless patrol of 100 yards on his own on the left. Terrible lack of ability to keep the ball, pass properly or keep any shape. You can blame the players, of course they have responsibility, but it's the dumbest system I have seen for a long time and it doesn't work.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:43 - Feb 24 with 3063 viewsmylot50years

Sorry I must have missed something here, when did the tactics thing come into the 96 minutes.
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:51 - Feb 24 with 2992 viewsBlackCrowe

When he got appointee, i thought he was good for stopping a toxic atmsophere at the club but not a long term solution for progression. Gives me no pleasure wahtseover to think i was mistaken.

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 21:07 - Feb 24 with 2899 viewsrichranger

Funny thing about today was that even if we'd taken a 'fair share' of the chances we created, it could easily have been 5-5. Smith missed at least 2 howlers.

Agree about the tactics though - that's a 9-2 aggregate for Forest against us this season. If it is so easy for them to work us out, I'm sure others will too
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 21:53 - Feb 24 with 2713 viewsBrightonhoop

It used to be our cave. Clubs will come now to the end of the season and wipe their feet on the way out.

Sorry but agree, time Ollie did not come to work on Monday morning. Forest. Forest! picked us off at will all 2nd half.
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 21:57 - Feb 24 with 2687 views2Thomas2Bowles

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:38 - Feb 24 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Here we go again
So who you going to get to come to a club so fecked in so many ways

Answers on a stamp?

No replies then

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 22:43 - Feb 24 with 2522 viewsMatch82

Might be our worst result of the season, but didn't think it was our worst performance.
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 23:08 - Feb 24 with 2415 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Having just tortured myself by watching the 5Show, just confirmed what I thought at the game, and echoing part of Ollies post match interview.

Three of those goals, no closing down at all. Tomlin and Cash (?) had plenty of time to pick their spot, and that is player failure.
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 23:12 - Feb 24 with 2405 viewsloneranger1

I have to choose my home games and get to about half. Glad I went to the Bolton game and missed this one! Sounds awful and conceding 5 at home is almost as bad as it gets - how much fight was there? Was at the Newcastle game last year where we were totally outclassed and tactically inept but the lack of fight that night really annoyed me (no bookings).
Burton at home was the worst I've seen this year, though worst result was home to Boro - was today much worse than those two?
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 04:53 - Feb 25 with 2065 viewsMatch82

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 23:12 - Feb 24 by loneranger1

I have to choose my home games and get to about half. Glad I went to the Bolton game and missed this one! Sounds awful and conceding 5 at home is almost as bad as it gets - how much fight was there? Was at the Newcastle game last year where we were totally outclassed and tactically inept but the lack of fight that night really annoyed me (no bookings).
Burton at home was the worst I've seen this year, though worst result was home to Boro - was today much worse than those two?

My take: just as tactically inept as Newcastle, but more fight, which is something
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 08:24 - Feb 25 with 1822 viewskingo

Unfortunately several usually reliable players had their worst games yesterday. Luongo, Scowen, Freeman, Robinson and Smithies all had their worst games of the season. That is going to only mean one thing as we rely on them so much.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 09:48 - Feb 25 with 1611 viewsdaveB

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 20:39 - Feb 24 by bosh67

That's because they don't know what their jobs are week to week in this system. I feel very sorry for Bidwell. Thankless patrol of 100 yards on his own on the left. Terrible lack of ability to keep the ball, pass properly or keep any shape. You can blame the players, of course they have responsibility, but it's the dumbest system I have seen for a long time and it doesn't work.

been playing it all season so must know what their jobs are by now
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 11:37 - Feb 25 with 1478 viewsbosh67

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 23:08 - Feb 24 by WrightUp5hit___

Having just tortured myself by watching the 5Show, just confirmed what I thought at the game, and echoing part of Ollies post match interview.

Three of those goals, no closing down at all. Tomlin and Cash (?) had plenty of time to pick their spot, and that is player failure.

Players had time to pick out where to shoot because the system leaves us with 3 central defenders not knowing whether to go wider or stay narrow on a counter attack. Better teams simply go wide and around it, as Boro did a few weeks ago, as Villa did. Bidwell is being asked to cover about 100 yards. Pav is asked to play in no mans land half the time. Does he go forward and overlap, does he stay back, does Ned cover that or does he stay with the central attacker in the middle? It's a total mess. Half decent opposition coaches realise we have no width, are lop sided, narrow all the way through the team and have no idea how to move the ball forward quickly.

So they just sit back if needed, wait for us to plod into their half and then bypass us on the counter attack down the flanks while our 3 at the back quote The Clash with should I stay or should I go? They also realise our default setting if behind is to hoof it up to Smith so they put two men on him, wait for us to over commit again and do exactly the same on the counter attack.

For me it is one of the easiest formations to break down when you are playing against a team with a lack of pace, that has no width and either plods the ball at snail pace through the middle or lumps it into the stars with the cry of chaaarrrrrggggge!

The players had a bad day yesterday and Forest had a purple afternoon with every shot but it's not the players letting the manager down, as he seems so intent to cry out all the time, it is the system letting the players down. Their not good enough to play 3-5-2 and as the defeats column increases so it isn't rocket science to work that one out. You just have to sit there for 90 minutes week in week out and you just think, WTF is this system, it's an absolute piece of p*ss to work out how to take it apart.

Don't be fooled by Bolton. They were awful. We only got to them after 15 minutes of them having 10 men. That day Ollie moved Freeman to the left and had 2 in the middle and Smyth on the other side. It worked. But Bolton had no ambition.

Teams come to us, look at the formation, work out it's weaknesses and you can see that there is no fear in the way they play against us. If you remove your entire left side in pursuit of a comeback it's even easier.

If Ollie just said I am going back to 4-4-2 for me it would be a relief. At least we would have a solid bank of defenders at the back and the ability to put the ball wide. But he won't, he hasn't and no one behind the scenes seems to have the balls to say, Ollie, the system doesn't work, change it or else. Thus I think he is going to be here forever, whether we stay up or go down, because they'll say he has no money, he has to blood the kids, the has to get rid of players. Fair enough, but then don't expect to set up like Manchester City and wonder why we don't get any results.

Never knowingly right.

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 13:00 - Feb 25 with 1398 viewsdaveB

I don't think it matters what system we play, if we don't close down as a team and allow the opposition time and space around our box then we'll get beat. The amount of time and space we gave them yesterday was a bigger factor than playing 3 at the back or whatever it was we were doing in that last half an hour when Freeman seemed to be a left back.
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 14:00 - Feb 25 with 1336 viewsTripleR

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 11:37 - Feb 25 by bosh67

Players had time to pick out where to shoot because the system leaves us with 3 central defenders not knowing whether to go wider or stay narrow on a counter attack. Better teams simply go wide and around it, as Boro did a few weeks ago, as Villa did. Bidwell is being asked to cover about 100 yards. Pav is asked to play in no mans land half the time. Does he go forward and overlap, does he stay back, does Ned cover that or does he stay with the central attacker in the middle? It's a total mess. Half decent opposition coaches realise we have no width, are lop sided, narrow all the way through the team and have no idea how to move the ball forward quickly.

So they just sit back if needed, wait for us to plod into their half and then bypass us on the counter attack down the flanks while our 3 at the back quote The Clash with should I stay or should I go? They also realise our default setting if behind is to hoof it up to Smith so they put two men on him, wait for us to over commit again and do exactly the same on the counter attack.

For me it is one of the easiest formations to break down when you are playing against a team with a lack of pace, that has no width and either plods the ball at snail pace through the middle or lumps it into the stars with the cry of chaaarrrrrggggge!

The players had a bad day yesterday and Forest had a purple afternoon with every shot but it's not the players letting the manager down, as he seems so intent to cry out all the time, it is the system letting the players down. Their not good enough to play 3-5-2 and as the defeats column increases so it isn't rocket science to work that one out. You just have to sit there for 90 minutes week in week out and you just think, WTF is this system, it's an absolute piece of p*ss to work out how to take it apart.

Don't be fooled by Bolton. They were awful. We only got to them after 15 minutes of them having 10 men. That day Ollie moved Freeman to the left and had 2 in the middle and Smyth on the other side. It worked. But Bolton had no ambition.

Teams come to us, look at the formation, work out it's weaknesses and you can see that there is no fear in the way they play against us. If you remove your entire left side in pursuit of a comeback it's even easier.

If Ollie just said I am going back to 4-4-2 for me it would be a relief. At least we would have a solid bank of defenders at the back and the ability to put the ball wide. But he won't, he hasn't and no one behind the scenes seems to have the balls to say, Ollie, the system doesn't work, change it or else. Thus I think he is going to be here forever, whether we stay up or go down, because they'll say he has no money, he has to blood the kids, the has to get rid of players. Fair enough, but then don't expect to set up like Manchester City and wonder why we don't get any results.

Good post.
Can't argue with any of that, I was discussing exactly these points on the way home last night
Any opposition can, and have done all season, break us down easily with this set up.
Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 14:14 - Feb 25 with 1310 viewsEsox_Lucius

Given the abusive nature of so many posts after a defeat I half expected the thread title to be "Give Ollie a Half Time contract",

The grass is always greener.

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 14:26 - Feb 25 with 1273 viewsisawqpratwcity

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 14:14 - Feb 25 by Esox_Lucius

Given the abusive nature of so many posts after a defeat I half expected the thread title to be "Give Ollie a Half Time contract",

Someone throw me a sewing machine, my sides are splitting.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 14:30 - Feb 25 with 1265 viewsBushRanger82

Give Ollie a lifetime contract! on 14:14 - Feb 25 by Esox_Lucius

Can I borrow that sewing machine, if you got it, that is, I've split my trousers because of your unrivalled hilarity.
You're not Arthur Askey, by any chance, are you? 😁
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024