Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tech Question 23:04 - Feb 24 with 1186 viewsToast_R

Anyone use Philips Hue at home?

I'm thinking of installing it bit by bit in my house. Although the initial outlay is quite expensive (light bulbs at the end of the day) the trickery and overall ambience of the colour and smart synching looks superb. I've a home bar and this looks like a real winner compared to halogen lights currently in use. I'd like to start there and progress to the whole house eventually.
Tech Question on 20:57 - Feb 25 with 1077 viewsBoston

We're tending to avoid everything Hughes at the moment.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Tech Question on 22:38 - Feb 25 with 1037 viewsNeil_SI

I do and have most of my place kitted out with them.

They’re terrific but some may find them to be more of a gimmick, however, ambient lighting is important and can set the mood for whatever the occasion.

While that might make some of you think of seedy things and use, you can make your whole place look like a brothel or marijuana plant if you wish, but you can even make the lights flash blue and white when QPR score.

Or you can use them for more normal activities. Different shades of white light can be helpful for reading, concentrating, etc. Different types of colour or tones for films, and so on. And with the Hue lights you can set different types of scenes and colours (they have plenty of presets) or you can even take a photo that you like the colours of and it’ll match those across your lights.

So it’s up to you really. The colour bulbs are more expensive though (but that enables a range of different colours) and the white bulbs can do a range of white colours.

For mine, the convenience of not using the actual light switches is very nice. I also use things like Siri on the iPhone to control mine by voice command (or via iPhone/iPad apps), and I also geolocation for mine to ensure they turn off when I leave the flat and turn on when I’m nearly home.

You can also use them like alarms and have them gradually turn on to full, which is to some degree a little nicer way to wake up than an alarm. I have mine simulating sunrise over a period and you can also set a range of lights to turn on and off randomly throughout the day while you’re away as preventative measure against burglary and break ins.

Keep in mind that the Hue hub can only take up to 50 bulbs currently, which is usually more than most flats anyway and one final bit of advice, you’ll need to ensure you lighting set up (in the ceilings) can take GU10 bulbs versus the older style MR16.

Another route in is to buy Hue bulbs that fit lamps, as that will give you an in to see if it’s worth pursuing. The strip lights are very cool when done right too, as is the motion sensor (which I use for motion controlled lighting in my hallway that will automatically trigger the lights to come on for a period of 2 minutes and is helpful when you’re doing to the loo or grabbing a drink from the kitchen in the middle of the night - and bonus points to Hue for allowing you to set the intensity of the light for specific time ranges, meaning it’s not on full blast when it’s late)
Tech Question on 07:50 - Feb 26 with 972 viewsToast_R

Thanks Neil thats very helpful. I may come back to you if I run into any issues during the setup.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024