Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
South of India Vs Malaysia 16:00 - Feb 28 with 1265 viewsBklynRanger

Sorry to use you all as latter day versions of Cliff Michelmore and Judith Chalmers, but if you had to choose between these locaaations for a 2 week trip at the end of December which would you choose:
Important elements being:

- Value for money - transport, cost of living, and simple private lodging, definitely not hostel dorms
- Nature type beauty/photographic opportunities
- Weather
- Cultural interests
- Food
- Etc

I know it's hard to generalise but just wondering. We had the credit card out for Chennai last night and had last minute doubts for some reason. Malaysia sounds great when you start to look into it.

Fangs in advance for any and all wisdom.

[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 16:01]
South of India Vs Malaysia on 16:12 - Feb 28 with 1239 viewsMrSheen

Don't know South of India, but Malaysia is a lovely place, and not "third world" in its standard of living - clean, healthy, safe. Combined with being a Muslim majority country, though with significant Chinese and Indian minorities, it might even be considered a bit dull. Perfect if you're travelling with young kids or you are nervous about disease, food poisoning etc. India would be cheaper, but rougher round the edges.

NB I'm referring to the Malaysian mainland, not Sabah and Sarawak on Borneo, which I think are more wild frontier. Kuala Lumpur is very staid, Singapore with worse traffic and no bacon. Penang is much more fun.
South of India Vs Malaysia on 16:15 - Feb 28 with 1235 viewspeejaybee

Have a look @ Port Dickson.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

South of India Vs Malaysia on 16:49 - Feb 28 with 1212 viewsBlackCrowe

Don't know Malaysia beaches but Kerela was one of the best family hols we've had (kids were young too around 7 and 4). We stayed in few places including 3 days cruising the spectacular backwaters on a houseboat. Cochin is a great town too. Fab old colonial small hotels and guest houses, incredibly cheap by western standards. And the food and beaches...

Also not much of the extreme poverty compared to other parts.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

South of India Vs Malaysia on 18:34 - Feb 28 with 1166 viewsBklynRanger

Thanks peeps - not getting any easier!...
South of India Vs Malaysia on 19:19 - Feb 28 with 1148 viewsFredManRave

Is Magaluf closed late December?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

South of India Vs Malaysia on 19:37 - Feb 28 with 1140 viewsdanehoop

South of India Vs Malaysia on 19:19 - Feb 28 by FredManRave

Is Magaluf closed late December?!

Malaysia is very nice, but with a very different look and feel depending where you go. Penang is beautiful, with some nice hotels along ferangi beach area. But it can feel a little overdeveloped imparts, but there is quite a lot to do and see when you are there, less strictly Islamic than other parts of the country. Some interesting history as well, with former British governor assassinated by local communist insurgents in 1940’s, but now very welcoming local population. Go to the east coast though, and it is much quieter and less developed. We spent a week in Kuantan with our boys when they were aged about 5 and 7. Lovely hotel and beautiful beaches, nice food as well. But found it a struggle to keep them occupied beyond the hotel and local commercial centres were much much less developed. KL is fun and lots to do, Singapore without the organisation or infrastructure development. Food in Malaysia is awesome though, with loads of variety and fair bit of spice.

Loved India, but haven’t been down south there yet. Have had food poisoning most visits, though whereas didn’t experience a twinge in Malaysia.

Never knowingly understood

South of India Vs Malaysia on 19:55 - Feb 28 with 1128 viewssmegma

South of India Vs Malaysia on 19:37 - Feb 28 by danehoop

Malaysia is very nice, but with a very different look and feel depending where you go. Penang is beautiful, with some nice hotels along ferangi beach area. But it can feel a little overdeveloped imparts, but there is quite a lot to do and see when you are there, less strictly Islamic than other parts of the country. Some interesting history as well, with former British governor assassinated by local communist insurgents in 1940’s, but now very welcoming local population. Go to the east coast though, and it is much quieter and less developed. We spent a week in Kuantan with our boys when they were aged about 5 and 7. Lovely hotel and beautiful beaches, nice food as well. But found it a struggle to keep them occupied beyond the hotel and local commercial centres were much much less developed. KL is fun and lots to do, Singapore without the organisation or infrastructure development. Food in Malaysia is awesome though, with loads of variety and fair bit of spice.

Loved India, but haven’t been down south there yet. Have had food poisoning most visits, though whereas didn’t experience a twinge in Malaysia.

Avoid the east coast of Malaysia. All you can see for miles is oilfields and mosques. Couldn't find a beer for 4 days travelling from the north (Thai border , Perhentian islands area). Even struggled to find veggie food in one town. Ended up with a bowl of rice and curry sauce.

The west coast is lovely with the aforementioned Penang Island, KL, Malacca etc......

I know it was 26 years ago but I vowed never to return to India,
South of India Vs Malaysia on 20:42 - Feb 28 with 1114 viewsdanehoop

South of India Vs Malaysia on 19:55 - Feb 28 by smegma

Avoid the east coast of Malaysia. All you can see for miles is oilfields and mosques. Couldn't find a beer for 4 days travelling from the north (Thai border , Perhentian islands area). Even struggled to find veggie food in one town. Ended up with a bowl of rice and curry sauce.

The west coast is lovely with the aforementioned Penang Island, KL, Malacca etc......

I know it was 26 years ago but I vowed never to return to India,

Agree with that Smegma. Notable difference on the East coast for alcohol. Hotels only and even then not all. West coast was generally more permissive. Still remember seeing the couples on the beach in Kuantan. Bloke in board shorts and t-shirt on a jet ski with his wife on the back wearing pretty much full black burka/niqab number. Very odd in just purely practical terms. Nice weather though.

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

South of India Vs Malaysia on 23:07 - Feb 28 with 1074 viewshoopsmark

Mate of mine loves Kerala,goes twice a year....

Did Malaysia 2014 and last January,KL and Langkawi island...thouroughly reccomend it....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024