Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plan B 14:06 - Mar 3 with 4622 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The peerless Mutton Lane Inn in Cork City is a-callin'

Look! The snug is free!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Plan B on 14:57 - Mar 3 with 4560 viewsBoston

I’d love to pull up a seat, sigh.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Plan B on 18:47 - Mar 3 with 4470 viewsSuperhoop83

Is that pub on a corner, Brian?

If so, I'm pretty sure my wife and I went there one Sunday night in 2010 - the day before I met my sister for the first time (I was adopted and exiled in the 70s) - and it was fantastic. Great pint of Guinness and a far better atmosphere than most English boozers on a Sunday night.

Suffering since 1978.

Plan B on 06:10 - Mar 4 with 4344 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Plan B on 18:47 - Mar 3 by Superhoop83

If so, I'm pretty sure my wife and I went there one Sunday night in 2010 - the day before I met my sister for the first time (I was adopted and exiled in the 70s) - and it was fantastic. Great pint of Guinness and a far better atmosphere than most English boozers on a Sunday night.

What a post! I hope you and your sister have been able to make up for list time.

Out of interest, does she have a favourite cheese?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Plan B on 11:25 - Mar 4 with 4260 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Plan B on 18:47 - Mar 3 by Superhoop83

Great story!

This one's down an alleyway between Patrick Street and the English Market.

Plan B on 11:27 - Mar 4 with 4257 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The outside, if that helps...

Plan B on 11:46 - Mar 4 with 4237 viewswortonranger

If I’ve got the place right there’s a poster up from the Barry Mguiggen fight at Loftus Road. Thought they were Rangers fans when I saw Loftus Road mentioned. Certainly a really good bar with excellent music as I recall.
Plan B on 11:55 - Mar 4 with 4223 viewssmegma

Only been to Cork once. For an England under 21 game in 1991.Walked into the bar at Cork City and went to order the first round. Guv'nor said " have you just got off the train from Dublin?' ....'yes' I said. 'Sit down and I'll fetch the beers to your table, we do things differently here in Cork'. So I did and he did. 5 hours later we could barely stand. Seeing the state we were in the guvnor said 'come this way' . He opened a door onto the terraces and we got in for free. He also said 'I'll have yer drinks ready at half time and after the game' . And he did. We slept on the train all the way back to Dublin.

I think England won.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2018 11:56]
Plan B on 11:56 - Mar 4 with 4221 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Plan B on 11:46 - Mar 4 by wortonranger

If I’ve got the place right there’s a poster up from the Barry Mguiggen fight at Loftus Road. Thought they were Rangers fans when I saw Loftus Road mentioned. Certainly a really good bar with excellent music as I recall.

Yes, that's the one. That poster's on the stairs. Great choons always.

Login to get fewer ads

Plan B on 12:01 - Mar 4 with 4215 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Plan B on 11:55 - Mar 4 by smegma

Only been to Cork once. For an England under 21 game in 1991.Walked into the bar at Cork City and went to order the first round. Guv'nor said " have you just got off the train from Dublin?' ....'yes' I said. 'Sit down and I'll fetch the beers to your table, we do things differently here in Cork'. So I did and he did. 5 hours later we could barely stand. Seeing the state we were in the guvnor said 'come this way' . He opened a door onto the terraces and we got in for free. He also said 'I'll have yer drinks ready at half time and after the game' . And he did. We slept on the train all the way back to Dublin.

I think England won.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2018 11:56]

Ha! That'd be The Horseshoe Inn and Neil, the owner. The game was in Turner's Cross Stadium. England won easily, I think.

Plan B on 12:20 - Mar 4 with 4189 viewsjohncharles

Plan B on 11:27 - Mar 4 by BrianMcCarthy

A good well kept pint of Beamish Mmmmmm

Strong and stable my arse.

Plan B on 12:44 - Mar 4 with 4168 viewsFDC

I'm in Cork in a couple of weeks, will have to check this place out
Plan B on 20:05 - Mar 5 with 3983 viewsSuperhoop83

Plan B on 11:25 - Mar 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Great story!

This one's down an alleyway between Patrick Street and the English Market.

Thanks Brian.

We'll check it out on our next visit. We were told to avoid one pub with a notoriously angry and unpredictable landlord but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that one!

Suffering since 1978.

Plan B on 20:34 - Mar 5 with 3961 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Plan B on 20:05 - Mar 5 by Superhoop83

Thanks Brian.

We'll check it out on our next visit. We were told to avoid one pub with a notoriously angry and unpredictable landlord but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that one!

That might be the Hi-B. Sound familiar? You get an earful if you take out your phone.

Plan B on 20:44 - Mar 5 with 3950 viewsFredManRave

Got any pictures of the roof?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Plan B on 21:01 - Mar 5 with 3928 viewsSuperhoop83

Plan B on 20:34 - Mar 5 by BrianMcCarthy

That might be the Hi-B. Sound familiar? You get an earful if you take out your phone.

That's the one! I'll steer well clear next time we're over - later this year with any luck.

Suffering since 1978.

Plan B on 21:08 - Mar 5 with 3919 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Plan B on 21:01 - Mar 5 by Superhoop83

That's the one! I'll steer well clear next time we're over - later this year with any luck.

Ah, it's grand, It's a bit of craic only. Nice pint there, too.

Essential pubs in Cork - Mutton Lane, The Oval, Tom Barry's, Hi B, Mayne's, Crane Lane.

Plan B on 22:22 - Mar 5 with 3859 viewsMonahoop

Great pub. Was there a couple of years ago. My idea of how a pub ought to be. Dark, atmospheric, mixed clientele and good beer plus the music played wasn't too bad either.

I think it was this pub so I read somewhere, that used to have a partition wall at the bar during the Irish Civil War. On one side drank the Pro Treaty crowd, on the other the Anti Treaty lot. I bet outside the pub after kicking out time was pretty juicy then!!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Plan B on 22:53 - Mar 5 with 3831 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Plan B on 22:22 - Mar 5 by Monahoop

Great pub. Was there a couple of years ago. My idea of how a pub ought to be. Dark, atmospheric, mixed clientele and good beer plus the music played wasn't too bad either.

I think it was this pub so I read somewhere, that used to have a partition wall at the bar during the Irish Civil War. On one side drank the Pro Treaty crowd, on the other the Anti Treaty lot. I bet outside the pub after kicking out time was pretty juicy then!!

I never heard that, Mona, but I'd well believe it. Collins used to call the War of Independence and The Civil War the Comic Wars due to the strange mixture of friendship, confusion, subterfuge and murders. Might seem like a grim thing to joke about but I'd imagine like all people who live through adversity humour had to be found.

I read this historical account recently about two British spies who came to Clare. They were to meet their friendly contact in a certain pub so went in and had a couple of pints while they waited for him to show. Meanwhile The Black and Tans came in looking for Rebels. The two new agents mistook The Black and Tans in their irregular gear for Rebels and started shooting, The Tans thought the two poor souls were IRA so started shooting back and the entire lot were killed.

Like a scene out of Spike Milligan's Puckoon.

Plan B on 23:21 - Mar 5 with 3805 viewsBoston

Plan B on 22:53 - Mar 5 by BrianMcCarthy

I never heard that, Mona, but I'd well believe it. Collins used to call the War of Independence and The Civil War the Comic Wars due to the strange mixture of friendship, confusion, subterfuge and murders. Might seem like a grim thing to joke about but I'd imagine like all people who live through adversity humour had to be found.

I read this historical account recently about two British spies who came to Clare. They were to meet their friendly contact in a certain pub so went in and had a couple of pints while they waited for him to show. Meanwhile The Black and Tans came in looking for Rebels. The two new agents mistook The Black and Tans in their irregular gear for Rebels and started shooting, The Tans thought the two poor souls were IRA so started shooting back and the entire lot were killed.

Like a scene out of Spike Milligan's Puckoon.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Plan B on 00:08 - Mar 6 with 3779 viewsqueensparker

Plan B on 20:34 - Mar 5 by BrianMcCarthy

I like the sound of this place very much.

If I ever open a pub I'm going to ban poking mindlessly at your f-king phone when you're supposed to be in a pub, doing pub stuff
Plan B on 11:02 - Mar 6 with 3624 viewstonyQPR

Stumbled across this great little boozer back in 2010ish on a weekend visit to see Weller at the marque (great gig) but more importantly I stumbled out again with the mrs 8hrs later 🍻🍻🍻
Plan B on 21:47 - Mar 19 with 3453 viewsFDC

Just back from a stag-do in Cork, and we checked out Mutton Lane on Brian's recommendation. Excellent pub, and a lovely city you've got yourself there too.
Plan B on 23:12 - Mar 19 with 3382 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Plan B on 21:47 - Mar 19 by FDC

Just back from a stag-do in Cork, and we checked out Mutton Lane on Brian's recommendation. Excellent pub, and a lovely city you've got yourself there too.

I'm delighted you enjoyed it, FDC. Glad you had a good time.

Plan B on 11:13 - Mar 20 with 3260 viewshovehoop

That looks like an inviting bar Brian. I've not drank in the city. Though visited rural pubs slightly north in Kildorrery and West in Macroom. The bar in Macroom was called Mary Kate's or something like that. It was next to the river and sold fishing tackle too. They had a swear box and to this day, it's holds the record for the most stand out language I've heard in any pub. Everyone was a hoare!!!
Plan B on 01:36 - Mar 21 with 3139 viewstimcocking

Plan B on 11:27 - Mar 4 by BrianMcCarthy

You're taking the piss now. That's a quality looking pub if i've ever seen one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024