Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 12:20 - Mar 19 with 3580 viewsAntti_Heinola

Full disclosure, couldn't attend for a variety of reasons, so watched on laptop while child was watching Ninjago. He was slightly startled when I leapt up, thanks to Pav. A result I did not see coming, even after the Miracle of Villa Park.

1. WZSOLEK: It's been a difficult time for Pav. This time a year ago, there were people on here calling him 'premier league class' and worrying that we'd lose him to a richer side sooner rather than later. But this season then he was a victim of Ollie's incessant tinkering towards the end of last season, and has had a stop-start season this term. He's probably best suited as wide right in a midfield four, or wide of a three playing further up, but while he has had runs in the side this season, it's been mainly as a wing back, or even as a full back.

He deserves credit for working at his game in those positions (his first time at RWB was genuinely terrifying, with Fleming basically coaching him through it) but it's deprived us of his danger further forward, and it's always seemed a bit of a waste. I've never subscribed to the 'premier quality' line, but at the same time, I like Pav a lot - because there is a lot to like: determination, strength, ability to keep the ball, energy levels, and the nice cut back he does (if only we had forwards who could take advantage of it). But, he hasn't had the impact this season that we all were hoping for around Jan/Feb last year.

Until Saturday. On TV, Hinchcliffe was heavily critical of him (of course he was, Hinchcliffe's continuing hatred of us continues to baffle) for first not taking on a volley from a Bidwell cross (the problem with too many pundits these days is that tjhey judge everything the prism of Messi or Aguero or Kane - zero allowances made for players that haven't got absolutely perfect technique) and then for not tracking Fredricks for the second goal (although he kind of did, and was blocked by a Fulham player, and he was probably entitled to expect Bidwell to have been a little wider). And yet, in a really poor first half, he was by far our best player. Not only did he work hard at the back, he was also a genuine threat going forward, despite playing in an unfamiliar role on the left. He was the player smart enough (and quick enough) to exploit Fulham's high line and expose a weakness that we attacked better after the break - and particularly once we had the added mobility of Smyth and Washington on the pitch.

After the break, if anything, Pav's effectiveness increased. The rest of the team took their cue from him and we started to win so much of the ball. He put in some great balls, he was a constant menace, he linked up well with Bidwell, he kept the ball well and then, finally, he got the goal his performance deserved. Nicking the ball was good, but the way he flicked it in front of him, leaving Odoi flat-footed. He still had much to do and bravely took it on early with a finish so calm you have to wonder how on earth that was only his second of the season. For me, man of the match, and I'm delighted by that. The change of formation has benefited so many players - and he's one of them, and just a week or so after whether you wondered he may struggle to get back in the side.

2. MISSING SCOWEN: Steve McClaren managed to be more insightful in about 10 seconds than Hinchcliffe manages in an entire game (Hinch, along with Savage, comes from the school of 'Should've' - ie: when a corner hits the first man: 'should've beaten the first man'; when a shot goes wide: 'should've got it on target' etc. The laziest sort, which tells the viewer absolutely sod all they haven't already seen) when he pointed out that both Fulham's goals would have been prevented had we had the sitting midfielder in front of the centre backs that this formation requires. Spot on. Scowen may not have been in top form over the last couple of months, but I mentioned after the Sunderland game how vital his presence is, how much unsung work he does, how many crucial challenges or interceptions he makes. On Saturday, I'm not sure whose job that was first half - presumably Luongo - but not only was he not doing that job well, neither was anyone else. The space at the back of our midfield was huge and Cairney fully exploited it. The encouraging thing was that Ollie did the necessary at half time and things were miles better after the break, when the lack of a rat was much less pronounced.

3. LUONGO'S GOAL: It was a really disappointing first half from Luongo - the way he played was a microcosm of the team as a whole. Too slow, too weak, no belief. Giving the ball away cheaply. No zip in the passing. No crunch in the tackles. Indeed, it was his poor ball that led to the first goal. However, one of the chief, and fair, criticisms of Mass has been his lack of goals. Now, though, he has five for the season, which is par for a player in his position. If he could get 8-10 a season, then that is superb. It's what midfielders probably aim for, but few actually get. And this was a class goal. Good free kick, good knock down, but he had loads to to score - to control with his head and still slam in the volley showed superb technique, and really that goal changed the game. I'm not sure, had we gone in two-down, that the second half would have been the same. It lifted us, gave us belief despite being totally out-played for 45 minutes, and in the end, it should have helped us to three points.

Second half, Luongo again epitomised the team as a whole. Winning more of the ball, using it better, pressing higher, and he as well as Manning, who seemed to come in field to great effect, suddenly took control of the midfield that had been all Fulham before the break.

4. FURLONG: I worried for him in this game. He has definitely looked so much happier at right back, but this was a huge test against the frequently brilliant Sessegnon. His early touches maybe betrayed his knowledge of this. I think his first three or four contributions were to kick it out, give away possession, or clear the ball to safety. But from there he settled in and Sessegnon never quite had the impact we would have expected. This was a really good sign, and maybe we're even seeing the distant echo of his tough experiences years ago against Sanchez and Bolassie. It won't ever get tougher than that, and so really he has nothing to be scared of. He has all the tools and I've said before I still think he'll in three or four years move into central defence. And, as against Sunderland, he once again here made an absolutely vital clearance with his head and his ability in the air is a real bonus for the back four.

There was a really interesting discussion about Furlong on the board on Saturday about his improvement. I think the fact is that he is one of the big beneficiaries, along with Bidwell, Pav and Eze, of the move to a back four. All season he's been asked to play as a wing back, and when he has we've questioned his positioning. But perhaps that just shows what a bastard of a position that is. I don't blame Ollie for using it early in the season when it was getting results, I just blame him for not changing it sooner when too many teams had spotted how to exploit it. The truth is, we don't even have one proper wing back, because Bidwell, Robinson, Pav, Perch and Furs have all tried, and none have convinced except in odd games. Now back at right back, his positioning has improved. Is it his game has improved, or is it that, as McClaren suggested on the telly, things have been simplified and the back four now know what their jobs are. It's been noticable in recent games how much less players have been looking to the bench doing the arms out 'whatg am I supposed to be doing, where should I be' gesture.

He's not the finished article, but hopefully now that spot is his, and hopefully even when he has the inevitable bad game, he won't be immediately dropped and made to wait weeks for another chance.

5. SMYTH: After a difficult game against Sunderland, and being out the team with an injury while they put in their best performance of the season, he must've been desperate to do well when he came on. It showed. I thought it was a brilliant substitution by Ollie. Pav had shown in the first half they were vulnerable to straight low balls between full backs and central defence, but the problem was neither Eze nor Smith were able to exploit that. The signs were there: once Freeman was played through with a defence-splitting ball, but he didn't have the pace to capitalise, and a second time when he did get one-on-one, he could only blast his shot straight at the keeper.

Smyth and Washington came on and suddenly not only were the midfield harrying a flustered Fulham, but they had to contend with two nippy forwards doing it as well. Undoubtedly the work of Smyth and Washington contributed to Pav's goal indirectly, because Fulham were starting to live on the edge by then. But of the two, once again, Smyth shone, having a similar impact to Shodipo's cameo at the Cottage last season. His directness, willingness to run, and quality of delivery caused them new problems, and he was so unlucky that his smart cut ball back to Freeman didn't yield an equaliser.

6. COUSINS: Poor old Cousins. Two seasons of injury and misery. And thrown in to a tough game for the excellent Manning. He had a big job on - not only to stop Fulham from extending their lead but also to help us get an equaliser. And here's where momentum and confidence make a difference. With the team playing well, Cousins didn't need to turn the game - he was just needed for added energy. And while Smyth will take the plaudits, I thought this was Cousins' best showing for a while. He looked comfortable, he was effective, he won the ball, his passing was crisp. It would be a huge boon if he can start stepping up.

So, a poor first half, a very good second and things looking up. But is this now the danger? There is a theory being tossed about that Ollie is dangerous when things are going well. Tactical things worked v Villa and second half v Fulham. We're unbeaten in four and few would have predicted 8 points out of 12 from those fixtures. We're all but safe, we can begin to look forwards. But, this theory goes, when all is rosy, Ollie starts to thing he's Guardiola and he can't leave well enough alone. He over-complicates it, we begin to lose, and he has to find the formula again. I don't know if that's true. I'm not sure how anyone can, but it does have a ring of truth. In his two spells as manager he's had these runs:
Winless runs: 9, 12, 8, 6, 6, 6, 7, 6
Undefeated runs: 10, 13, 9, 7 (wins)
Is that normal? I don't know. There are lots of four-game losing streaks I haven't listed there too. That streakiness is more pronounced over the last year than it was before, but it's always been there. 9 without a win at promotion-chasing Palace in his short spell there. 9 wins, a draw and a loss in 11 at Blackpool. Runs of 6 and 9 with no wins in the Prem with Blackpool. 7 without a win at Leicester. 9, 8, 6, and 7 winless runs in just over a year at Millwall. I don't know what the answer to this is, maybe it's typical of all middling managers, but if he can find a way to stop the bust in his boom and bust... that would be handy.

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 12:50 - Mar 19 with 3478 viewsdaveB

I thought Bidwell was badly at fault for the 2nd goal, got sucked into the middle and left a huge gap for them to play themselves in behind us, when the goal goes in he is stood in the middle of the box pointing at Pawel who was left 2 on 1

Apart from that he had a decent game though
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 13:01 - Mar 19 with 3439 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 12:50 - Mar 19 by daveB

I thought Bidwell was badly at fault for the 2nd goal, got sucked into the middle and left a huge gap for them to play themselves in behind us, when the goal goes in he is stood in the middle of the box pointing at Pawel who was left 2 on 1

You'd need to go back thirty seconds before the goal to see why he is where he was though. The goal essentially came from a break, a turnover of possession that shouldn't have happened. It may well be he was badly at fault, but i can't remember and highlights don't go back that far. It was Mass who needlessly gave the ball away though. Always think goals are very, very rarely down to one error, much as pundits and fans like to point the finger at one person.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 13:02]

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 13:13 - Mar 19 with 3391 viewsjonno

Thanks for those - agree with much. I would take issue with "being totally out-played for 45 minutes" in the first half. It wasn't that one-sided! Fulham didn't really create many chances and the goals they scored were really due to mistakes by us - had they gone in 2-0 up it would not have been a fair reflection of the first half.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 13:50 - Mar 19 with 3280 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 13:13 - Mar 19 by jonno

Thanks for those - agree with much. I would take issue with "being totally out-played for 45 minutes" in the first half. It wasn't that one-sided! Fulham didn't really create many chances and the goals they scored were really due to mistakes by us - had they gone in 2-0 up it would not have been a fair reflection of the first half.

I thought we'd have been lucky to go in only two down. 2-0 was pretty fair. We were slow, ponderous, weak and gave the ball away far too cheaply. Stats bore that out at HT. Got much better after the break though!

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 13:53 - Mar 19 with 3263 viewsvegasranger

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 12:50 - Mar 19 by daveB

That's how I saw it. Also watch how Bidwell jogs back into our penalty area and doesn't attempt to mark anyone. I think Pav was 3 on 1 !!
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 13:54]
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 13:55 - Mar 19 with 3253 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 13:50 - Mar 19 by Antti_Heinola

I thought we'd have been lucky to go in only two down. 2-0 was pretty fair. We were slow, ponderous, weak and gave the ball away far too cheaply. Stats bore that out at HT. Got much better after the break though!

I thought we were poor at one half of the pitch, and your report covers the reasons for that very well - missing Scowen and sitting too deep. At the other end, though, we played some nice football and were inches away from being onside for two goals. We had also started the game well. All in all, 2-1 felt about right to me.

Six good points, though, as ever. Really enjoy your knee jerks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 14:39 - Mar 19 with 3167 viewsdaveB

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 13:01 - Mar 19 by Antti_Heinola

You'd need to go back thirty seconds before the goal to see why he is where he was though. The goal essentially came from a break, a turnover of possession that shouldn't have happened. It may well be he was badly at fault, but i can't remember and highlights don't go back that far. It was Mass who needlessly gave the ball away though. Always think goals are very, very rarely down to one error, much as pundits and fans like to point the finger at one person.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 13:02]

He got sucked in after we lost the ball but did nothing to get back into position, was pretty poor from Bidwell and if we hadn't scored so quickly could have cost us the game
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 15:20 - Mar 19 with 3083 viewsJigsore

Thanks Antti. Hope Pav can get into Poland's Word Cup squad, I know he was worried about how much playing time he was getting here earlier in the season

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Login to get fewer ads

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 15:43 - Mar 19 with 3032 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I'm fairly certain Wzsolek wasn't a victim of Ollie's "incessant tinkering" last season. He had a bereavement in the family, his dad I think. He was completely off his game early season especially going forward not sure if that was anything to do with it. Who knows!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 15:52 - Mar 19 with 3009 viewsJAPRANGERS

bloody marvellous stuff as usual Antti. Thanks!
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 16:18 - Mar 19 with 2927 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 15:43 - Mar 19 by CliveWilsonSaid

I'm fairly certain Wzsolek wasn't a victim of Ollie's "incessant tinkering" last season. He had a bereavement in the family, his dad I think. He was completely off his game early season especially going forward not sure if that was anything to do with it. Who knows!

Didn't know about that! But, he was a regular, than sat on the bench for four out of five games (without coming on) during that 6 game losing run at the end of last season. Finall;y back in for Forest, and we won. But if he was on the bench because of family reasons, fair enough!

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 16:27 - Mar 19 with 2888 viewsDando

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 15:43 - Mar 19 by CliveWilsonSaid

Pretty sure the tinkering had a massive impact as well. Last year he got a new contract after impressing at right wing. This year we have forced him back, and his confidence has been drained. He has not known whether to defend or take his man on. Exactly the same with Bidwell, was dreadful going forward. No surprise to me at all, that both players are now back to their best and the whole team looks more comfortable as a whole
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 16:40 - Mar 19 with 2862 viewsstevec

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 13:50 - Mar 19 by Antti_Heinola

Agree with a lot of what you said but bit harsh on us first half.

We were under huge pressure from a very confident team, had weathered that storm and was getting into the game when Luongo made that poor pass. Plus either at 0-0 or 1-0 that lines woman called an offside when Pav clean through that was borderline to say the least.
Very rarely get called when your top half is the only part of you ahead of the defender.

Going back to my old mate Massimo, have a look at him whenever the ball is past him, particularly when it goes down the flanks and our defenders are brought into play. He NEVER marks an on running midfielder.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 17:46 - Mar 19 with 2741 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 16:18 - Mar 19 by Antti_Heinola

Didn't know about that! But, he was a regular, than sat on the bench for four out of five games (without coming on) during that 6 game losing run at the end of last season. Finall;y back in for Forest, and we won. But if he was on the bench because of family reasons, fair enough!

I can't really remember. I thought he was completely off the scene for a few weeks much to everyone's bemusement not even on the bench. Then back for Forest like you say. Soon after Holloway made a statement.

It's a mystery what's happened to him this season though. Good to see him back on track as I like him a lot.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 18:52 - Mar 19 with 2626 viewsPinnerPaul

Always interested to read your thoughts AH.

However think your pieces have 'evolved' and can no longer really be called 'knee jerks', which I thought used to be 3 or 4 instant reactions after the game.

Not sure a piece longer than Clive's match report posted 2 days later can be called 'knee jerks'!
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 20:23 - Mar 19 with 2467 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 18:52 - Mar 19 by PinnerPaul

Always interested to read your thoughts AH.

However think your pieces have 'evolved' and can no longer really be called 'knee jerks', which I thought used to be 3 or 4 instant reactions after the game.

Not sure a piece longer than Clive's match report posted 2 days later can be called 'knee jerks'!

Thanks - a good point. I only really started it so i could tee off sarcastically on Redknapp every week, now it's out of hand.
Antti's 6 considered opinions?!

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 20:49 - Mar 19 with 2411 viewsrsonist

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 20:23 - Mar 19 by Antti_Heinola

Thanks - a good point. I only really started it so i could tee off sarcastically on Redknapp every week, now it's out of hand.

Hinchcliffe has pretty much admitted his antipathy towards us on the Set Piece Menu podcast he's on, though not disclosed the reasons why. (So yeah probably the bum nose heckling).
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 00:17 - Mar 20 with 2196 viewshoopsa

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 20:49 - Mar 19 by rsonist

Hinchcliffe has pretty much admitted his antipathy towards us on the Set Piece Menu podcast he's on, though not disclosed the reasons why. (So yeah probably the bum nose heckling).

I'm just glad that the 2nd half was down our end. Magnificent!
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 07:55 - Mar 20 with 1966 viewsenfieldargh

Really appreciate your njs and are now a part of my post match ritual

Great post reaction to these and Clive’s reports

Gotta love this forum

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 09:08 - Mar 20 with 1871 viewsPinnerPaul

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: Fulham 2 QPR 2 on 20:23 - Mar 19 by Antti_Heinola

Not as 'sexy' a headline, but more accurate - will please the grammar/spelling police on here as well!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024