Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimmy Page 16:32 - Mar 23 with 5721 viewsBlackCrowe

On my flight back from SF - very unlike me, had to go and thank him for da music, shook hands and replied 'that's very kind of you'. And that was that.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Jimmy Page on 16:35 - Mar 23 with 3817 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Our office used to be near his house in Kensington and I nodded to him a few times but never said 'Hi' I wish I had now.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Jimmy Page on 16:48 - Mar 23 with 3770 viewsted_hendrix

I read somewhere he's usually quite quiet and an unassuming type of bloke.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Jimmy Page on 17:36 - Mar 23 with 3717 viewscolinallcars

They say it's better never to meet your heroes because they'll disappoint you. However, I've met a few in the Intrepid Fox in Wardour street back in the days of the Marquee and found most of'em were happy to have a chat particularly Jeff Beck and Alvin Lee. That's enough name dropping from me !
Jimmy Page on 17:45 - Mar 23 with 3688 viewsBlackCrowe

Jimmy Page on 16:48 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

I read somewhere he's usually quite quiet and an unassuming type of bloke.

Yeah he absolutely was. A gent.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Jimmy Page on 17:58 - Mar 23 with 3667 viewsJuzzie

Jimmy Page on 17:36 - Mar 23 by colinallcars

They say it's better never to meet your heroes because they'll disappoint you. However, I've met a few in the Intrepid Fox in Wardour street back in the days of the Marquee and found most of'em were happy to have a chat particularly Jeff Beck and Alvin Lee. That's enough name dropping from me !

I met Les Ferdinand at the Brit Awards circa '94 and he certainly didn't dissapoint. He actually seemed glad to talk to someone about footie.

Jimmy Page on 18:26 - Mar 23 with 3614 viewsNW5Hoop

I've interviewed him seven times now. I never need to hear another word about John Bonham's drum sound, so long as I live.
Jimmy Page on 18:35 - Mar 23 with 3588 viewsdanehoop

Jimmy Page on 18:26 - Mar 23 by NW5Hoop

I've interviewed him seven times now. I never need to hear another word about John Bonham's drum sound, so long as I live.

Was in the club lounge in Miami in few years back waiting for plane home with a work colleague. I was explaining how much I was enjoying a recent iTunes purchase for the flight of an iggy pop album. Colleague suggested I turn around and express my appreciation in person. Mr pop was it turns out listening to my homage to his esteemed back catalogue, smiled and nodded at me before wandering off back to his seat. I was largely useless at this point it must be said as my mouth was hanging open whilst my colleague was pishing himself laughing at my shocked face, pointing out the iggy was indeed the passenger that evening.

Never knowingly understood

Jimmy Page on 18:37 - Mar 23 with 3585 viewsted_hendrix

Jimmy Page on 17:36 - Mar 23 by colinallcars

"They say it's better never to meet your heroes because they'll disappoint you"

I met one of my all time heroes Peter Green after a gig, we all had to queue up to meet him, I shook his hand and said "thanks for the gig tonight you were great" for which he smiled and thanked me, unfortunately I lied as he wasn't particularly up to speed and was a bit off the pace, the result of Years of walking away from the business I guess and being talked into making a come back.

No matter I suppose, at least I shook the picking hand of one of the best guitarists this Country has ever produced.

Login to get fewer ads

Jimmy Page on 18:46 - Mar 23 with 3561 viewscolinallcars

Jimmy Page on 18:37 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

I met one of my all time heroes Peter Green after a gig, we all had to queue up to meet him, I shook his hand and said "thanks for the gig tonight you were great" for which he smiled and thanked me, unfortunately I lied as he wasn't particularly up to speed and was a bit off the pace, the result of Years of walking away from the business I guess and being talked into making a come back.

No matter I suppose, at least I shook the picking hand of one of the best guitarists this Country has ever produced.

Peter was the best blues guitarist we ever had - a lovely pure tone and economical in his playing. Less is more as they say. I was at the Nag's Head in Battersea the night he gave a couple of Les Pauls away. He was ckearly mentally ill and became a recluse eventually. His comeback, many years later was nice in its way but he'd lost the spark. I don't know if he's playing now..
Jimmy Page on 19:40 - Mar 23 with 3481 viewsPunteR

Jimmy Page on 18:37 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

Peter Green used to knock about with my uncle years ago ,we're talking back in the 50s and early 60s. They started their first band together. Peter used to go round my nans for dinner. My dad was the younger brother who looked up to them both.
Shame what happened to Peter. Bad Acid or too much in one session got the better of him.
I don't know what happened in his resurgence a few years ago. Whether he was talked into it or not(probably), it always seemed a good idea just to get him out the house and snap out of the doldrums .
My dad knows more . You and him Ted could probably talk for hours . Not football though. Just guitars, Green, Page etc.
During Peter Greens comeback tour he did a radio interview. My dad has a recording of it, where peter mentions my uncle Mick as one of his first and main influences. Unfortunately my uncle Mick never got to hear it as he died a year before from cancer, Smoking and drinking done him really. It's a shame as uncle Mick used to go round his house in Richmond to try and get him back on track , but Peter was too out of it back then.
Peter Green was an amazing talent ,far more than Mick i guess, but i know deep down my dad aspires to be as good as his brother Mick than the likes of Page and Green.
RIP Mick

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Jimmy Page on 20:18 - Mar 23 with 3429 viewsMonahoop

Jimmy Page's dad owned Page Motors in Epsom years back. Workers there got sick of hairy types in denim turning up asking if Jimmy was about.
Mr Page is a big fan of Wilko [he in my avatar], so he's ok and cool in my books.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Jimmy Page on 20:49 - Mar 23 with 3372 viewsToast_R

My brother being a big Dio fan met wee Ronnie on a few occasions. He was a lovely man who had plenty of time for his fans (usually 5 encores a gig). He got a beer mat signed by him and acknowledging my brothers English accent he wrote "Curry Rules" under his name. Sad that he passed away not long after that.
Jimmy Page on 21:00 - Mar 23 with 3347 viewscolinallcars

Jimmy Page on 19:40 - Mar 23 by PunteR

Peter Green used to knock about with my uncle years ago ,we're talking back in the 50s and early 60s. They started their first band together. Peter used to go round my nans for dinner. My dad was the younger brother who looked up to them both.
Shame what happened to Peter. Bad Acid or too much in one session got the better of him.
I don't know what happened in his resurgence a few years ago. Whether he was talked into it or not(probably), it always seemed a good idea just to get him out the house and snap out of the doldrums .
My dad knows more . You and him Ted could probably talk for hours . Not football though. Just guitars, Green, Page etc.
During Peter Greens comeback tour he did a radio interview. My dad has a recording of it, where peter mentions my uncle Mick as one of his first and main influences. Unfortunately my uncle Mick never got to hear it as he died a year before from cancer, Smoking and drinking done him really. It's a shame as uncle Mick used to go round his house in Richmond to try and get him back on track , but Peter was too out of it back then.
Peter Green was an amazing talent ,far more than Mick i guess, but i know deep down my dad aspires to be as good as his brother Mick than the likes of Page and Green.
RIP Mick

Thanks for sharing that with us. I think Peter was at his best in the early Mac days before Kirwan joined. I think John Mayall wanted Peter to be a Clapton mark 2 with the Bluesbreakers but when Peter formed the Mac he was able tp play pure BB King style blues with that gorgeous bell like tone on his Les Paul. Some guitarists use banks of effects pedals but the pure sound of a fifties Les Paul is a Joy to hear. I had a tape of the early Mac rehearsing at the Nag's Head which was the best I ever heard them - sadly I've lost it.
Jimmy Page on 21:21 - Mar 23 with 3305 viewsBklynRanger

He's not everybody's cup of tea I know but I was a huge Bruce Springsprong fan when I was a kid. In about 2007 for a year or so a friend of mine became friends with the guy who ran his limos (he did Billy Joel etc too). So until that 'bromance' fell apart we got in free to his concerts - skulking across the stage at Madison Square Garden via the mixing desk - halcyon days.

Anyway, one night we're all standing there backstage afterwards with the drivers and we're reliably told that Bruce will be out in 10 minutes if we want to meet him. We wait 15 or 20 minutes and start to talk about not bothering - I said if we leave now we'll always wonder but (and we were all a bit caned) that in itself would be quite a funny fcuking story! Something about the so near yet so far thing. So the fcuking idiots around me agree with whatever I was going on about and we left. And now all I've got is the story.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 21:23]
Jimmy Page on 21:30 - Mar 23 with 3283 viewsted_hendrix

Jimmy Page on 19:40 - Mar 23 by PunteR

RIP Mick

Mate, that made a good read thanks, when we left the gig we had to drive round the back of the venue, Peter Green was stood by the Roadies lorry by himself and he cut a lonely and sad figure If I'm honest, he was of course diagnosed with Schizophrenia and I believe he was hospitalised a couple of times because of it, I've got every goddam recording that Fleetwood Mac recorded all the outtakes and studio recordings, I'm talking about the early Fleetwood Mac not the American bubblegum Fleetwood Mac.
BB King said of Peter Green "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats"

I did get to see my favourite British guitarist Paul Kossoff shortly before he died, the band Free were as usual late on stage we found out later from Paul Rogers that this was the norm due to Kossoff's dependency on drugs, when he was clean enough to get on stage he blew us all away as usual with his playing, I just thought his playing on that Les Paul was awesome, he died way, way to early.

I did get to see Ten Years after at Reading University Alvin Lee stood on stage and said those magic words "This is called 'I'm going home'" honestly it was superb, you had to be there.

Anyway enough of my bollox (lol) Hey Joe etcetera

Jimmy Page on 21:38 - Mar 23 with 3275 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Scott Gorham is also a gent.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Jimmy Page on 22:03 - Mar 23 with 3221 viewsizlingtonhoop

Jimmy Page on 18:26 - Mar 23 by NW5Hoop

Well done for avoiding talk of his (alleged) penchant, back in the day... if indeed you did

Anyway, I approached Dominic West, leaving the Sunderland game.

Hey. Are you a qpr fan?

Yes.

Shook hands.
Jimmy Page on 23:38 - Mar 23 with 3140 viewsPunteR

Jimmy Page on 21:30 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

Mate, that made a good read thanks, when we left the gig we had to drive round the back of the venue, Peter Green was stood by the Roadies lorry by himself and he cut a lonely and sad figure If I'm honest, he was of course diagnosed with Schizophrenia and I believe he was hospitalised a couple of times because of it, I've got every goddam recording that Fleetwood Mac recorded all the outtakes and studio recordings, I'm talking about the early Fleetwood Mac not the American bubblegum Fleetwood Mac.
BB King said of Peter Green "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats"

I did get to see my favourite British guitarist Paul Kossoff shortly before he died, the band Free were as usual late on stage we found out later from Paul Rogers that this was the norm due to Kossoff's dependency on drugs, when he was clean enough to get on stage he blew us all away as usual with his playing, I just thought his playing on that Les Paul was awesome, he died way, way to early.

I did get to see Ten Years after at Reading University Alvin Lee stood on stage and said those magic words "This is called 'I'm going home'" honestly it was superb, you had to be there.

Anyway enough of my bollox (lol) Hey Joe etcetera

Yeh i guess in this day and age Peter Greens issues would be more commonly known as mental health issues rather than some cliche 60s droppin acid, loses ones mind issue . I dont know really, its just how i remember it.. LSD didnt help him.
Drugs and music.
My dad never touched anything apart from booze yet he still goes into psychedelia mode while playing his Les Paul or Fender with his hardened tipped yet dexterous fingers.
Obviously my musical taste (think frankie thread)means that guitar solos dont really feature, but for me Hendrix will always be my no 1. Not you Ted ;)
I cant really think of a modern guitar hero. Jonny Marr ? Bernard Butler? showing my age and knowledge a bit there. lol
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 0:01]

Jimmy Page on 00:13 - Mar 24 with 3100 viewsozexile

Jimmy Page on 23:38 - Mar 23 by PunteR

Yeh i guess in this day and age Peter Greens issues would be more commonly known as mental health issues rather than some cliche 60s droppin acid, loses ones mind issue . I dont know really, its just how i remember it.. LSD didnt help him.
Drugs and music.
My dad never touched anything apart from booze yet he still goes into psychedelia mode while playing his Les Paul or Fender with his hardened tipped yet dexterous fingers.
Obviously my musical taste (think frankie thread)means that guitar solos dont really feature, but for me Hendrix will always be my no 1. Not you Ted ;)
I cant really think of a modern guitar hero. Jonny Marr ? Bernard Butler? showing my age and knowledge a bit there. lol
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 0:01]

Didn't Peter Green spend about 20 years wandering around Richmond in a daze?
Jimmy Page on 01:10 - Mar 24 with 3066 viewstimcocking

Good on you. My brother was at a party with John Densmore recently and regretted not saying the same.

I was chatting to James McSweeney in the gym yesterday, but he's probably not quite as valuable to society as Jimmy Page.

Also found out my mate Dean used to coach Mass Luongo, which i found interesting. Although that's not much to do with Jimmy Page either.

Ps Pete Townsend taught a couple of my mates to play guitar if that counts.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 1:15]
Jimmy Page on 01:24 - Mar 24 with 3062 viewsPunteR

Jimmy Page on 00:13 - Mar 24 by ozexile

Didn't Peter Green spend about 20 years wandering around Richmond in a daze?

yep pretty much

Jimmy Page on 01:29 - Mar 24 with 3059 viewsPunteR

Jimmy Page on 01:10 - Mar 24 by timcocking

Good on you. My brother was at a party with John Densmore recently and regretted not saying the same.

I was chatting to James McSweeney in the gym yesterday, but he's probably not quite as valuable to society as Jimmy Page.

Also found out my mate Dean used to coach Mass Luongo, which i found interesting. Although that's not much to do with Jimmy Page either.

Ps Pete Townsend taught a couple of my mates to play guitar if that counts.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 1:15]

I went to school with someone called James McSweeny.

Does Mass play guitar?

Jimmy Page on 01:37 - Mar 24 with 3050 viewstimcocking

Jimmy Page on 01:29 - Mar 24 by PunteR

I went to school with someone called James McSweeny.

Does Mass play guitar?

James McSweeney went to school in Holland. If i was in his class, i wouldn't have wanted to be on his bad side.

I meant he coached Mass at Sydney fc, not guitar lessons :-) although perhaps he did both...
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 1:38]
Jimmy Page on 07:28 - Mar 24 with 2945 viewsjonno

Jimmy Page on 21:21 - Mar 23 by BklynRanger

He's not everybody's cup of tea I know but I was a huge Bruce Springsprong fan when I was a kid. In about 2007 for a year or so a friend of mine became friends with the guy who ran his limos (he did Billy Joel etc too). So until that 'bromance' fell apart we got in free to his concerts - skulking across the stage at Madison Square Garden via the mixing desk - halcyon days.

Anyway, one night we're all standing there backstage afterwards with the drivers and we're reliably told that Bruce will be out in 10 minutes if we want to meet him. We wait 15 or 20 minutes and start to talk about not bothering - I said if we leave now we'll always wonder but (and we were all a bit caned) that in itself would be quite a funny fcuking story! Something about the so near yet so far thing. So the fcuking idiots around me agree with whatever I was going on about and we left. And now all I've got is the story.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 21:23]

Good few years ago now I was in New York on holiday, dragged the wife into a music shop to look at guitars etc. Looked across the shop and the only other people in there were Steve Van Zandt and his girlfriend. He was buying a guitar for her - I was amazed for a professional guitar player how little he actually knew about guitars! Nice guy though.
Jimmy Page on 09:43 - Mar 24 with 2854 viewsMrSheen

I was in a lift in Narita Airport with Noel Gallagher. DIdn't say anything. He is diddy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024