Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
20 goal Smith? 10:20 - Apr 3 with 4495 viewsMyke

9 goals and 9 assists for Smith now. If he manages one more of each before the end of the season is that akin to being a 20 goal a season striker? Either way, great value for half a million quid
20 goal Smith? on 10:46 - Apr 3 with 3524 viewsbosh67

Agreed. People laugh about his lack of pace and he really doesn't have any but he works his arse off and scores some vital goals. He was unplayable yesterday and apart from Ned he was the other best player on the pitch. At half a million, compared to what we have paid he is a complete bargain. He is also looking a lot better now that Ollie has finally conceded that he needs to play wingers and he has become a lot more effective again. Like him, like his attitude, his influence on younger players and he seems settled, which is the main thing.

And the Zidane/Clive Allen drag back which left 2 Norwich players going in completely the wrong direction. Moment of the season. Olay!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

20 goal Smith? on 11:16 - Apr 3 with 3463 viewsrsonist

Think the pleasing thing lately is that it actually hasn't been a simple case of wingers + big man = profit, ie not just playing to his supposed limitations. I mean yeah we're a bit less narrow but the way we move up the pitch has improved and Smith is responding well.

Only negative mark against Smith is Dave McIntyre mentioned on twitter recently that Yann Kermorgant was actually our first choice before we signed him... I've always secretly thought he'd be a great Rs player.
20 goal Smith? on 12:23 - Apr 3 with 3373 viewsMrSheen

Smith also headed a series of crosses out of our box despite competition from some big Norwich players.
20 goal Smith? on 12:31 - Apr 3 with 3342 viewsGloucs_R

Considering he has spent half his time here on the bench, 1 in 5 isn't too bad. More like 1 in 3 if you take the sub appearances out. Defenders hate playing against him. He could easily score 15-20 a season if he played every game (not saying that he should)

Poll: Are we staying up?

20 goal Smith? on 12:43 - Apr 3 with 3298 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He’s a victim of a bit of football snobbery in my opinion, as was Zamora and Nygaard before him.
20 goal Smith? on 12:52 - Apr 3 with 3260 viewsstevec

Anything that keeps Washington off the pitch does it for me.
20 goal Smith? on 12:59 - Apr 3 with 3244 viewsM40R

I rate him. The issue is that you have to use him in the right way and work to his strengths. First he needs a mobile player closely around him for the flick-ons and second balls. Second the crosses have to be ones he can run onto in the box, which means crossing from advanced positions in the main. None of these boots up from central half way that Lynch loves.

Lumping it to him with his back to goal rarely works. Also asking him to hold up the ball on the ground and feed in runners is a no no.

But his biggest problem is the attitude of refs. They take one look at his bulk and automatically favour the defenders. I'd be interted to see how many so called fouls he has conceded.
20 goal Smith? on 13:01 - Apr 3 with 3231 viewsDubaiR

A modern day Rob Steiner
Login to get fewer ads

20 goal Smith? on 13:05 - Apr 3 with 3211 viewsBrianMcCarthy

20 goal Smith? on 10:46 - Apr 3 by bosh67

Agreed. People laugh about his lack of pace and he really doesn't have any but he works his arse off and scores some vital goals. He was unplayable yesterday and apart from Ned he was the other best player on the pitch. At half a million, compared to what we have paid he is a complete bargain. He is also looking a lot better now that Ollie has finally conceded that he needs to play wingers and he has become a lot more effective again. Like him, like his attitude, his influence on younger players and he seems settled, which is the main thing.

And the Zidane/Clive Allen drag back which left 2 Norwich players going in completely the wrong direction. Moment of the season. Olay!

I must look up that dragback. At what stage of the game did it happen, Bosh?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

20 goal Smith? on 13:12 - Apr 3 with 3176 viewskensalriser

The number of fouls not given against Smith has become utterly preposterous. They were all over him yesterday, trying to rip off his shirt and strangling him and yet apparently he's the one doing the fouling.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

20 goal Smith? on 13:26 - Apr 3 with 3122 viewsGroveR

20 goal Smith? on 13:05 - Apr 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Here it is (the camera makes the shirt look different but it's definitely big Matty)

20 goal Smith? on 13:27 - Apr 3 with 3116 viewsCamberleyR

20 goal Smith? on 13:12 - Apr 3 by kensalriser

The number of fouls not given against Smith has become utterly preposterous. They were all over him yesterday, trying to rip off his shirt and strangling him and yet apparently he's the one doing the fouling.

Similar in a way to when Furs Sr was playing for us. The number of times he was fouled by defenders and the foul was given the other way was a joke at times.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

20 goal Smith? on 13:31 - Apr 3 with 3106 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think between the 3rd and 4th goal, but the low grade Guinness has dulled my memory.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2018 13:32]
20 goal Smith? on 13:55 - Apr 3 with 3028 viewstimcocking

It'll be in the 90 minute re-run, it wasn't in the highlights on the offie. Despite it being the highlight.

Matt Smith's done very well this season, even if clearly he wouldn't make the Rangers' all time eleven. He was superb yesterday. If he could actually run, he wouldn't be at QPR.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2018 14:00]
20 goal Smith? on 14:01 - Apr 3 with 3017 viewsngbqpr

Think Adel got 40 odd goals / assists in the promotion season.

Smith is on target to get slightly over half that total, but given his minutes on the pitch, I'd wager has played only slightly over half the minutes Adel did.

You could hardly get two more different players, but arguably, based purely on those stats, Smith is not much less effective....and also is playing in a poorer team creating less chances.

Of course you can twist anything to suit with stats...and he can frustrate with the amount of chances he misses, headers he misdirects etc....but goals win games, and playing a part in 18 ain't half bad.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

20 goal Smith? on 14:54 - Apr 3 with 2934 viewsPommyhoop

20 goal Smith? on 12:52 - Apr 3 by stevec

Anything that keeps Washington off the pitch does it for me.

Yup..Did you notice how Eze anticipated the nock down for his goal..Poor old Wash would've ran the other way..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

20 goal Smith? on 15:17 - Apr 3 with 2894 viewsRANGERS4EVER

20 goal Smith? on 14:54 - Apr 3 by Pommyhoop

Yup..Did you notice how Eze anticipated the nock down for his goal..Poor old Wash would've ran the other way..

That's the best thing about Eze that has excited me, is his knowledge of the where the ball will be. Seems to know where it is, and where it is going to end up every time. Same with his goal Vs Sunderland. Twice he has caught out the defender by his judgement. People will say his skill and control is his highlight but for me it's his movement to balls like that which impress me

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

20 goal Smith? on 15:26 - Apr 3 with 2875 viewsoldmisery

20 goal Smith? on 15:17 - Apr 3 by RANGERS4EVER

That's the best thing about Eze that has excited me, is his knowledge of the where the ball will be. Seems to know where it is, and where it is going to end up every time. Same with his goal Vs Sunderland. Twice he has caught out the defender by his judgement. People will say his skill and control is his highlight but for me it's his movement to balls like that which impress me

Exactly, partnerships 'up front' are obviously very important and the way in which Eze and to a slightly lesser extent Smyth react to balls played into space by the Big Man (despite their not having played with him for more than a few short months) are the best reasons for NEVER selecting Washington again!
20 goal Smith? on 16:04 - Apr 3 with 2830 viewsrsonist

Bored stiff of people performing their little attention-seeking Washington hate routines. Yeah he's struggling, and yeah he's probably not going to make it. Really don't have to keep harping on.
20 goal Smith? on 16:07 - Apr 3 with 2818 viewsBrianMcCarthy

20 goal Smith? on 16:04 - Apr 3 by rsonist

Bored stiff of people performing their little attention-seeking Washington hate routines. Yeah he's struggling, and yeah he's probably not going to make it. Really don't have to keep harping on.

Have to agree. It's turning into a hounding these last couple of months. As you say, it's not as if anyone's arguing any different so I don't see the need to keep hammering the point home.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

20 goal Smith? on 16:30 - Apr 3 with 2774 viewsoldmisery

20 goal Smith? on 16:07 - Apr 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Have to agree. It's turning into a hounding these last couple of months. As you say, it's not as if anyone's arguing any different so I don't see the need to keep hammering the point home.

Reason we 'harp on' friend is that, despite other strikers being more effective, he keeps being selected by the Manager. 23 starts and 10 substitute appearances out of a possible 42 games this season.
20 goal Smith? on 16:41 - Apr 3 with 2749 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

20 goal Smith? on 16:07 - Apr 3 by BrianMcCarthy

QPR punchbag syndrome.
20 goal Smith? on 17:12 - Apr 3 with 2699 viewsrsonist

20 goal Smith? on 16:30 - Apr 3 by oldmisery

Reason we 'harp on' friend is that, despite other strikers being more effective, he keeps being selected by the Manager. 23 starts and 10 substitute appearances out of a possible 42 games this season.

It's a thread about Matt Smith and yet here we are with "anything that keeps Washington off the pitch does it for me" and imagining all the mistakes Wash would made had he played, which he did not. "Don't start CW and we may win this" kicking off yesterday's match thread on a positive note too. What's the point? Go beat your wife.
20 goal Smith? on 18:13 - Apr 3 with 2627 viewsoldmisery

20 goal Smith? on 17:12 - Apr 3 by rsonist

It's a thread about Matt Smith and yet here we are with "anything that keeps Washington off the pitch does it for me" and imagining all the mistakes Wash would made had he played, which he did not. "Don't start CW and we may win this" kicking off yesterday's match thread on a positive note too. What's the point? Go beat your wife.

My original post refers to a preference for selecting players other than Conor Washington who, in a short period of time, are showing the ability to link up more effectively with Matt Smith than CW has been able to do in the last 15 months or so.

Your puerile statement that I should therefore attack my own wife bears no relevance to this thread. It does not become a supporter of our fine club, if in fact, that is what you are.
20 goal Smith? on 19:44 - Apr 3 with 2503 viewsterryb

20 goal Smith? on 16:30 - Apr 3 by oldmisery

And is that the fault of Washington?

Or is that down to Ollie selecting him all of those times?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024