Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off 17:09 - Apr 4 with 8383 viewsAntti_Heinola

Have a look at where we're mentioned in this.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/04/ray-wilkins-chelsea-captai

What an absolute piece of shambolic writing. His amazing time with us not even a footnote, just a throwaway line at 'sliding down' - yeah, for 6 years at the top level, you utter pr!ck.

Never liked Williams. Poor writer who thinks far too much of himself. Shoddy knowledge here.

Bare bones.

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 17:19 - Apr 4 with 6353 viewshopphoops

Agreed.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 17:37 - Apr 4 with 6256 viewssimmo

Read the same thing, thought the same thing. That's the problem when a player includes the likes of Chelsea and United in their record.

Doesn't matter ultimately, just like others that played in that era they know how we felt about them and someone like Ray will always be a hero in W12, regardless of how poorly referenced they are by bellends at the Guardian.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 17:49 - Apr 4 with 6203 viewsMedwayR

Agreed that's a shoddy bit of writing and massively underplays his time wearing our shirt. On the bright side I found this gem in the comments section which I'd not seen before (skip to 13:15)

[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 18:10]

Poll: Who’s better?

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 17:51 - Apr 4 with 6188 viewsStanisgod

We may as well get used to this as it's going to happen a lot this week. Just console yourselves with the fact that WE know the truth.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 17:54 - Apr 4 with 6168 viewsNW5Hoop

I know Richard. He's not a poor writer; he's a wonderful writer who can construct the most elegant phrases in journalism.

I was disappointed QPR were passed over in that piece. I tweeted him to mention how important he had been to QPR and how good he had been, and how good that side was.
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 18:30 - Apr 4 with 6038 viewssimmo

Rangers maybe guilty of the same with Chelsea....

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/qpr-legend-ray-wilkins-sadly-passes/

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 18:42 - Apr 4 with 5986 viewshubble

This, also in the Guardian, is much better: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/04/ray-wilkins-obituary
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 19:25 - Apr 4 with 5879 viewsPinnerPaul

To be fair I was surprised when I looked it up, that he actually played more games for us than Man U and that he only played 3 games more up the road than he did for us!
Login to get fewer ads

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 19:27 - Apr 4 with 5868 viewsMrSheen

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 17:54 - Apr 4 by NW5Hoop

I know Richard. He's not a poor writer; he's a wonderful writer who can construct the most elegant phrases in journalism.

I was disappointed QPR were passed over in that piece. I tweeted him to mention how important he had been to QPR and how good he had been, and how good that side was.

As a Forest fan, he may find it impossible to regard us as a credible team. That said, anyone who gets so excited about Formula 1 can’t be considered a sportswriter.
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 19:44 - Apr 4 with 5789 viewspaulparker

I said as much in the ray Wilkins thread that the media will drone on and on about him being a Chelsea and Man Utd legend when let’s face it half of their support wouldn’t know who he is or what he achieved , but down here in W12 he was our legend and we loved him , easily one of the top 5 players to ever where our shirt
I suggest the “journo” who wrote that article hands in his notice because what he knows about football you could write on a postage stamp

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 19:45 - Apr 4 with 5789 viewsNorthernr

Tributes paid to Ray Wilkins — Column 4th Apr 2018 19:41
Tributes have been pouring in for former QPR midfielder and manager Ray Wilkins who passed away today aged 61 after suffering a heart attack. 5

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 21:40 - Apr 4 with 5634 viewsJuzzie

Just in the same way Sinclair’s overhead kick will never get the recognition it deserves, Ray’s time at QPR will always be insignificant because it’s QPR.

The media and hoardes of plastic fans are only interested in the top clubs.

[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 21:48]
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 22:29 - Apr 4 with 5484 viewssmegma

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 21:40 - Apr 4 by Juzzie

Just in the same way Sinclair’s overhead kick will never get the recognition it deserves, Ray’s time at QPR will always be insignificant because it’s QPR.

The media and hoardes of plastic fans are only interested in the top clubs.

[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 21:48]

This is the nicest thing i've read about Ray today and is taken from the BBC website.

In an Instagram post paying tribute to his former manager, ex-QPR midfielder Nigel Quashie told the story of how Wilkins gave him his debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

I will always be proud to say how lucky I am to have been coached, managed and even to have met you. If it wasn't for you I would never have started my career playing football and I will never forget going to Manchester United as a YTS trainee to do all the kit and boots in the changing room for the first-team squad.

One hour and 30 minutes before kick-off you name the team and I was in it, and that's how my debut went. I didn't even get to think about it because all you said was: you're number 18, here are your boots and shin pads, just go and play, have fun and treat it like you're over the park with your mates.

My mum never had a mobile phone back then because we couldn't afford anything like that and everything went through her work or home phone. I asked you after the game if I could call home to speak to her. You said use my mobile and call this number - it was my mum on the other end of the line and she said she was outside by the away team bus.

I went outside to see her and asked how did you get here because I knew she couldn't afford it. She told me Ray had got the club to pay for her train ticket to come to the game and then told me Ray got the club to give us our first mobile phone in life during the week and he wanted to surprise me, knowing I was making my debut.

I was given a chance by Ray Wilkins, one of the legends of the game, and to this day you are the first person I mention when it comes to football and that will never change. You will be missed so much not just in the football world but as a real human being with such class. Thanks for everything and my thoughts go to all the family. Sleep well Sir Ray Wilkins.
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 22:54 - Apr 4 with 5417 viewsBoston

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 22:29 - Apr 4 by smegma

This is the nicest thing i've read about Ray today and is taken from the BBC website.

In an Instagram post paying tribute to his former manager, ex-QPR midfielder Nigel Quashie told the story of how Wilkins gave him his debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

I will always be proud to say how lucky I am to have been coached, managed and even to have met you. If it wasn't for you I would never have started my career playing football and I will never forget going to Manchester United as a YTS trainee to do all the kit and boots in the changing room for the first-team squad.

One hour and 30 minutes before kick-off you name the team and I was in it, and that's how my debut went. I didn't even get to think about it because all you said was: you're number 18, here are your boots and shin pads, just go and play, have fun and treat it like you're over the park with your mates.

My mum never had a mobile phone back then because we couldn't afford anything like that and everything went through her work or home phone. I asked you after the game if I could call home to speak to her. You said use my mobile and call this number - it was my mum on the other end of the line and she said she was outside by the away team bus.

I went outside to see her and asked how did you get here because I knew she couldn't afford it. She told me Ray had got the club to pay for her train ticket to come to the game and then told me Ray got the club to give us our first mobile phone in life during the week and he wanted to surprise me, knowing I was making my debut.

I was given a chance by Ray Wilkins, one of the legends of the game, and to this day you are the first person I mention when it comes to football and that will never change. You will be missed so much not just in the football world but as a real human being with such class. Thanks for everything and my thoughts go to all the family. Sleep well Sir Ray Wilkins.

That, is my favourite post of the year.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 23:06 - Apr 4 with 5383 viewsdistortR

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 22:54 - Apr 4 by Boston

That, is my favourite post of the year.

wonderful eulogy, isn't it?

If we were all a bit more like Super Ray, the world would be a better place.
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 23:17 - Apr 4 with 5348 viewsThe_Mole

Just been watching the Debate and the moron host said:

"Take a look at those illustrious clubs he (Wilkins) has played for, well the top few at least!"

Needless to say, little old QPR were bottom of that list. How do people stay in a job? That truly offended me 😡

To top it off, the Champions League show on ITV didn't even bother mentioning us? I don't want this to become about QPR but let's get the bloody facts right? 175 appearances in a team that would dick over Scum and always hold their own against an untouchable Utd side.
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 23:23 - Apr 4 with 5329 viewsdistortR

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 23:17 - Apr 4 by The_Mole

Just been watching the Debate and the moron host said:

"Take a look at those illustrious clubs he (Wilkins) has played for, well the top few at least!"

Needless to say, little old QPR were bottom of that list. How do people stay in a job? That truly offended me 😡

To top it off, the Champions League show on ITV didn't even bother mentioning us? I don't want this to become about QPR but let's get the bloody facts right? 175 appearances in a team that would dick over Scum and always hold their own against an untouchable Utd side.

yeah, watching cl highlights and that pissed me off too, didn't want to bring it up because I was just talking about being a better person!!
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 23:38 - Apr 4 with 5292 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 19:25 - Apr 4 by PinnerPaul

To be fair I was surprised when I looked it up, that he actually played more games for us than Man U and that he only played 3 games more up the road than he did for us!

He actually played 207 times for us and for Chelsea, and all of his seasons with us were in the top flight.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 00:38 - Apr 5 with 5210 viewsBoston

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 19:27 - Apr 4 by MrSheen

As a Forest fan, he may find it impossible to regard us as a credible team. That said, anyone who gets so excited about Formula 1 can’t be considered a sportswriter.

He can probably spell Guardian though.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 00:49 - Apr 5 with 5196 viewsCiderwithRsie

I always thought Super Ray was a good bloke but I've been impressed by some of the stories people have told about him. What they have in common was that he selflessly did things for other people without any particular expectation of getting any praise.

So, on the same basis, who cares if a bunch of know-nothings don't know or care that he spent more time with us than with Manchester United, almost as many games as he did for Chelsea, and that he played more for us than for Glasgow rangers, AC Milan and PSG combined?

He knew, we know, and we had the pleasure of watching him play the best football of his career. That's between us and him, and if its our secret, well it's the ones who don't know it that are the losers.
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 01:02 - Apr 5 with 5185 viewskensalriser

I couldn't help but look up the stats for his periods with us, Man Utd and Chelsea:

QPR: 11th, 12th, 11th, 5th, 9th, 8th, 19th (rel)
Man Utd: 2nd, 8th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th
Chelsea: 17th, 21st (rel), 11th, 2nd, 16th, 22nd (rel)

Quite obvious he had the most success with Utd, plus he won the FA Cup with them. Bonus points for helping Chelsea get relegated twice.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 02:44 - Apr 5 with 5118 viewstimcocking

It's galling, but no surprise. Don't let them bother you, the media are always this sh!t. QPR will never get our fair dues off media people. Apart from one of course.
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 04:04 - Apr 5 with 5085 viewshoopdog

TV news shots show more of him in action for QPR than any club including ingerlund
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 04:06 - Apr 5 with 5081 viewstimcocking

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 04:04 - Apr 5 by hoopdog

TV news shots show more of him in action for QPR than any club including ingerlund

That's probably because he played for QPR more than any other club. Not by choice. If they could choose, we wouldn't get a mention.
Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 05:18 - Apr 5 with 5039 views18StoneOfHoop

Not the time I know, but this Ray obit pisses me off on 22:29 - Apr 4 by smegma

@ 1:47 Amazing Quashie goal v the SW6 Counts.
Perfect technique Ray would have been proud of.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2018 5:20]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024