Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simon Stainrod 12:36 - Apr 10 with 11045 viewsYorkRanger

They often say you create your heroes in your formative years (whatever they are!). People talk about Pele, Maradona and others but for me it was always Cruyff.

Similarly for Rangers I saw Bowles, Thomas and co but was a bit too young to appreciate it. My first season ticket was in the 81/82 season and it was always about Stainrod, so skillful and played with a swagger and confidence.

Anyway tonight he is inducted into the Forever RS club. Gutted I cant be there.

Legend.
Simon Stainrod on 12:40 - Apr 10 with 6128 viewsRs_Holy

Stainrod and Allen.... Oh yes!.... they really were the days
Simon Stainrod on 12:42 - Apr 10 with 6120 viewsMick_S

Anyone remember the bicycle kick against (I seem to remember) Cardiff. What a player.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Simon Stainrod on 12:47 - Apr 10 with 6106 views2Thomas2Bowles

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Simon Stainrod on 12:52 - Apr 10 with 6085 viewsbosh67

Loved Stainrod.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Simon Stainrod on 12:59 - Apr 10 with 6056 viewsAgedR

My Dad took me to Fulham v Chelsea as a young'un.

Then my Grandad took me to QPR v Cardiff in 1981. 2.0, a Stainrod brace, the rest is history.

Wasn't a bad year to start out all in all 1981!

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Simon Stainrod on 13:05 - Apr 10 with 6035 viewsMick_S

Simon Stainrod on 12:59 - Apr 10 by AgedR

My Dad took me to Fulham v Chelsea as a young'un.

Then my Grandad took me to QPR v Cardiff in 1981. 2.0, a Stainrod brace, the rest is history.

Wasn't a bad year to start out all in all 1981!

Was that the game with the overhead kick?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Simon Stainrod on 13:06 - Apr 10 with 6024 viewsDiscodroids

Stainrod was Videodrome, Naked Lunch, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Performance, Brian Eno, Timothy leary,Howard Devoto, LA Dusseldorf and NEU! rolled into one fantastical technicolour funkadelic association footballer.

He took the wheel when needed, the back seat when he pleased. Because he could.
I named my son after him and I Salute him. Congrats Simon.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Simon Stainrod on 13:09 - Apr 10 with 6012 viewsAgedR

Simon Stainrod on 13:05 - Apr 10 by Mick_S

Yes!! I was only very young and was beginning to think I'd imagined it!

Fantastic to get your childhood memories verified as being as fantastic as you'd thought.

That is probably the reason I'm a lifelong Rangers fan.

Wish he'd air shot it...bastxrd

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Login to get fewer ads

Simon Stainrod on 13:11 - Apr 10 with 5993 viewsbosh67

Simon Stainrod on 13:05 - Apr 10 by Mick_S

I can't remember the game but I remember him trying a 'scorpion' kick in a game at the School End. It just missed and he was offside but I'd never seen anything like it before.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Simon Stainrod on 13:12 - Apr 10 with 5985 viewsBoston

Simon Stainrod on 13:06 - Apr 10 by Discodroids

Stainrod was Videodrome, Naked Lunch, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Performance, Brian Eno, Timothy leary,Howard Devoto, LA Dusseldorf and NEU! rolled into one fantastical technicolour funkadelic association footballer.

He took the wheel when needed, the back seat when he pleased. Because he could.
I named my son after him and I Salute him. Congrats Simon.

Stainrod, an unusual first name.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Simon Stainrod on 13:18 - Apr 10 with 5956 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Love Simon Stainrod.
One of our best number 10's
He had it all - skill, flair, goals, creativity and amazing self belief / confidence (and he was hard)
He had a swagger which I have rarely seen since.
Delighted he will be back at Loftus Road tonight - gutted I won't be there to chant his name.
Simon Simon Stainrod
U R's
Simon Stainrod on 13:24 - Apr 10 with 5938 viewsqueensparker

About ten years ago a company that does the big screens at sports grounds came in for a meeting at my then job.

I was sat there in the meeting room waiting for them and in walked... Simon Stainrod (he was one of the investors).

Was a bit starstruck and not much really got agreed, and afterwards he was a total gent, posed for a few pictures, and then we went out for a couple of pints next door while I listened to all his Rangers tales.

A top bloke
Simon Stainrod on 13:31 - Apr 10 with 5915 viewssmegma

Stainrod beats up DJs Stainrod beats up DJs la la la la la la la la.

A song sang at Barnsley in 1982 3 days after his 'altercation'.

Anyone who beats a DJ up for playing shoite music is a legend. He asked for some punk/new wave to be played but the DJ refused. Everyone loves the Exploited surely ??!!!
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 13:43]
Simon Stainrod on 13:41 - Apr 10 with 5880 viewsMrSheen

Which game was it where he aimed at one corner, and the ball swerved and hit the other post from miles out? My other favourite memory of him was when he stepped over the ball and let Warren Neill score against Arsenal.

Also played in Japan, apparently.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 13:48]
Simon Stainrod on 13:44 - Apr 10 with 5852 viewsdaveB

Stainrod was my first hero at QPR, quickly followed by Byrne and Bannister.

Shame it's a midweek game for him being inducted so will be a small crowd
Simon Stainrod on 14:10 - Apr 10 with 5781 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Loved Stainrod. He was another classic QPR number ten.
Simon Stainrod on 14:10 - Apr 10 with 5780 viewsSnipper

A friend of mine growing up idolised Simon Stainrod so much, he walked into a hairdressers with a picture of him and asked for his hair to be done the same.

The rest of us ripped him for it 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
Simon Stainrod on 14:18 - Apr 10 with 5746 viewsenfieldargh

every body bring a bucket

14th November 1981 we win 3-1 at Hilslbogaragh

They booed him from the off SS loved it scored a hatrick.

We were pelted with coins through out the game which rose to a storm each time he scored.

Wish i had taken a bucket with me would have come in useful for collecting and usefull in other ways

Love Simon Simon Stainrod

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Simon Stainrod on 14:43 - Apr 10 with 5692 viewspaulparker

People talk about Adel, Byrne, Stan, Rodneeeeee, Currie , Wegerle as legends and rightly so they were brilliant players but the likes of Stainrod & Paul Goddard always fall under the radar and hardly get a mention ,
a well deserved induction for a brilliant player who if he was playing today would have 100 England caps

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Simon Stainrod on 14:52 - Apr 10 with 5670 viewsBoston

If you need any other reason to like him - when he came to Rangers there was another team offering similar terms. He decided not to go to SW6.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 18:39]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Simon Stainrod on 15:39 - Apr 10 with 5602 viewsDiscodroids

I have this vague recollection that stainrod was only selected once for the england squad.. the brazil tour of 1984. May well be complete bollocks but I seem to remember him getting a late call up because of injuries??.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Simon Stainrod on 15:59 - Apr 10 with 5556 viewsMrSheen

Simon Stainrod on 15:39 - Apr 10 by Discodroids

I have this vague recollection that stainrod was only selected once for the england squad.. the brazil tour of 1984. May well be complete bollocks but I seem to remember him getting a late call up because of injuries??.

I was going to mention it on the Ray Wilkins thread. He and, I think, Clive, were on the the 1984 tour. After the 2-0 in Rio - Fenwick played - loads of us stayed up in the college TV room to watch the next game against Uruguay. Most to see if Barnes and Hateley (boo) could repeat their scoring, me to see if our two strikers could get on. The highlight of a 2-0 defeat for me was Ray trotting towards a ball boy with his hand out to take a throw demanding loudly “Gissa Farking Ball” right into a pitchside mike. How we laughed as Barry Davies apologised to the nation.

PS just checked, Allen came on against Brazil and started the other two games, Stainrod didn’t get on at all, even a minute, in three games.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2018 18:05]
Simon Stainrod on 16:01 - Apr 10 with 5549 viewsngbqpr

Simon Stainrod on 14:18 - Apr 10 by enfieldargh

every body bring a bucket

14th November 1981 we win 3-1 at Hilslbogaragh

They booed him from the off SS loved it scored a hatrick.

We were pelted with coins through out the game which rose to a storm each time he scored.

Wish i had taken a bucket with me would have come in useful for collecting and usefull in other ways

Love Simon Simon Stainrod

Then our train was bricked on the way home, I seem to recall....

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Simon Stainrod on 16:09 - Apr 10 with 5521 viewskensalriser

I'll never look up the stats because I might disavow my belief that in those days every time I checked the results the word QPR would invariably be followed by (Stainrod, Allen).

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Simon Stainrod on 16:10 - Apr 10 with 5519 viewsjoolsyp

I used to stand in the Loft in the Stainrod/Allen days and I seem to remember one bloke giving Stainrod absolute pelters all game (2-bob he used to shout out all game). How he didn't get punched I don't know.

He hit the bar once from what seemed like 35/40 yards out. Swerve and went like a rocket - I think the crossbar is still shaking to this day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024