Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best left back 22:56 - Apr 10 with 5037 viewsMyke

Was Ian Gillard our best ever left back? Or was it Wilson, or Samson or Brevett or the nutty Argentinian or the guy who tackles with his head or...
Best left back on 22:57 - Apr 10 with 3615 viewsdistortR

clive wilson was such a wonderful footballer
Best left back on 23:01 - Apr 10 with 3592 views2Thomas2Bowles

Ian Gillard you don't hold down being the left back for fourteen years without being the best.
2nd Wilson

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Best left back on 23:03 - Apr 10 with 3587 viewscolinallcars

Going back a long way, Tony Ingham was very classy for the third tier. Most left backs were fairly crude then. A little later......don't forget the irrespressible Jim Langley.
Best left back on 23:03 - Apr 10 with 3585 viewsdistortR

Best left back on 23:01 - Apr 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Ian Gillard you don't hold down being the left back for fourteen years without being the best.
2nd Wilson

that's it, i'm reaching for the shooter.........

but as a kid, ian gillard was my hero
Best left back on 23:04 - Apr 10 with 3582 viewsPeterHucker

I only saw Ian Gillard play for us once and it was his last ever game.
But from what older fans have told me he was a very reliable full back and didn't stand for any nonsense. He also made more appearances for QPR than any other player apart from Tony Ingham.
We've had some great left backs in the time I've been watching QPR though, so out of the ones I've seen more than Ian Gillard I'd rank them.....

1. Ian Gillard
2. Clive Wilson
3. Ian Dawes
Honourable mentions to some other favourites of mine Gino Padula, Clint Hill, Kenny Sansom, Rufus Brevett.
Best left back on 23:06 - Apr 10 with 3569 views2Thomas2Bowles

Best left back on 23:03 - Apr 10 by distortR

that's it, i'm reaching for the shooter.........

but as a kid, ian gillard was my hero

Very upset when he left/retired I thought Ian Dawes was shite in comparison.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Best left back on 00:15 - Apr 11 with 3450 viewsquickpassrotter

Ian Gillard. Undoubtedly.
Best left back on 00:48 - Apr 11 with 3399 viewseastside_r

When I was a kid I used to play at left-back even though I was right-footed. IG was our no.3 at the time so I was always him in my head.

Of course I wanted to be Stan but I knew my limitations.

But sorry, Willo was something else.

Stalked by Man City fans which I used to think was friendly (they used to sponsor him) but it was actually 'you're so good you bar steward how could you have ever left us'.

A dream of a player. Clive Wilson for me.
Login to get fewer ads

Best left back on 01:04 - Apr 11 with 3377 viewsOnlyMe

Gillard and Wilson wee both great. But at different times, in teams playing different styles of football and (a fair bit) at different levels).

So I'd put them equal best.
Best left back on 01:43 - Apr 11 with 3350 viewsBoston

Gillard.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Best left back on 01:52 - Apr 11 with 3344 viewstimcocking

Spurious. Wouldn't know what Gillard was like, but he'd have had to have been amazing to be better than Clive Wilson.

Let's call it a draw.

(You weren't talking about Gino, were you? Likeable and with a good name for singing, but hardly Clive Wilson)
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 1:53]
Best left back on 02:30 - Apr 11 with 3327 viewsBoston

Best left back on 01:52 - Apr 11 by timcocking

Spurious. Wouldn't know what Gillard was like, but he'd have had to have been amazing to be better than Clive Wilson.

Let's call it a draw.

(You weren't talking about Gino, were you? Likeable and with a good name for singing, but hardly Clive Wilson)
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 1:53]

I predict, that in the next twenty four hours, you will have one or two people describe to you just how amazing Gillard was.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Best left back on 02:40 - Apr 11 with 3326 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A team with a Gillard or Wilson in it, won’t have too many worries about the left side of defence. You’d be very happy with either. Great players, and Wilson was just a bloody good footballer.

But while he was as mad as a bag of frogs, unpredictable and prone to losing his head, I still think Mark Dennis on his day, was unplayable. Those of us who were at the Boleyn for the start of the 87 or was it the 88 season, saw a bloke utterly dominate the oppo. Admittedly he was playing left wing-back but for the next few months, I just loved his maverick style, mixed with the fear that he might just lamp someone for shits and giggles.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Best left back on 07:02 - Apr 11 with 3236 viewssmegma

Best left back on 23:03 - Apr 10 by colinallcars

Going back a long way, Tony Ingham was very classy for the third tier. Most left backs were fairly crude then. A little later......don't forget the irrespressible Jim Langley.

And just shy of 500 appearances in the process.
Best left back on 07:18 - Apr 11 with 3215 viewsEsox_Lucius

Just so he never gets forgotten. I would like offer Taye Taiwo in a cameo role.

The grass is always greener.

Best left back on 07:39 - Apr 11 with 3191 viewsLblock

Clive Wilson end of.

Simply amazing and my all time favourite player

Also a thoroghly nice bloke!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Best left back on 07:58 - Apr 11 with 3167 viewskingsburyR

I don't remember Gillard but he'd have to be some player to oust Wilson.

God I have fond memories of Willow and Bardsley. What a pair of full backs they were!!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Best left back on 08:07 - Apr 11 with 3146 viewsjohncharles

Gillard.
Of course it’s got to be Gillard. No one got past Ian.

Strong and stable my arse.

Best left back on 08:13 - Apr 11 with 3133 viewsflynnbo

Loved Gillie and felt for him when he got torn a new one by Marian Masny. Not sure how many more games he played for England after that,
http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2017/11/ian-gillard-unsung-hero/
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 8:24]
Best left back on 08:24 - Apr 11 with 3105 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I saw Gillard play quite a few times but was too young to appreciate him, so I can't pick one from him and Wilson.

Wilson was sublime, though. Fine defender and brilliant on the ball.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best left back on 08:29 - Apr 11 with 3095 viewsElHoop

Gillard and Wilson were very different so it's hard top compare them. Gillard was big and physical and could move across to the middle and fill in there during a game, as could Clement. Wilson and Bardsley were more mobile but less physical, smaller. I wouldn't even be sure as to which was the best back four either. I think that they were both a good fit for their teams - if you'd have switched them around then neither team would have been quite so effective.
Best left back on 08:36 - Apr 11 with 3078 viewshoopdog

Ability wise it has to be Kenny Sansom but really wasn't here long enough to compete with Hillard and Wilson
Best left back on 09:49 - Apr 11 with 3006 viewspaulparker

in my life time it would be Dawes , so underrated a left back a head of his time I still cannot believe we got rid of him for Mark Dennis, if you think of Danny Rose is good Dawes was twice the player of him
I also think people go OTT on sansom yes he was good but he was here 1 season without really pulling up trees , perhaps that goal against Arsenal clouds peoples judgement, clive Wilson was much , much better I always thought

top 3
Dawes
Wilson
Brevett due to being hard as nails and a more team player than sansom, Gino, etc

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Best left back on 10:00 - Apr 11 with 2991 viewsBostonR

I am fortunate to have watched most of our left-backs since 1973 on-wards.
Gillard was a physically imposing player who would not look out of place in the PL today. Wilson was a brilliant footballer and could also play in the PL. The others fall short on that point for me, so it's between Gillard and Wilson.
For me, it is Gillard as he was part of that amazing 75 team and one of five R's players who got picked for Eng during that period.
Best left back on 10:25 - Apr 11 with 2940 viewsterryb

For defending it would be Gillard.

For attacking it would be Wilson.

Let us not forget to mention Gentleman Jim Langley in this thread though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024