Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Freeman 07:54 - Apr 11 with 5931 viewsozranger

Ok, now that everyone has had the fun of congratulating a well deserved win, what was happening with Freeman last night? The whole team played well, except for Freeman. Surely he wasn't missing Luongo. On too many occasions he chose the wrong pass, gave the ball away or instead of moving the ball forward on a breakaway, he swivelled and eventually passed back. There were times he was quite annoying. Has he lost some confidence or didn't have the confidence in those who were in front of him and Bright next to him? I do hope Ollie finds out what is wrong and fixes it as he is a fine player but last night he was at one of his worst.
Freeman on 08:09 - Apr 11 with 4229 viewsNorthernr

As expected, he's not been half as good since we switched away from the wing back system. He was never any good as a wide player at Bristol City either. There have been lots of positives about the switch to the back four but moving Freeman out of the 'ten' spot was always going to be a drawback of it.
Freeman on 08:12 - Apr 11 with 4215 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He looked ok from where I was sitting.

I think when you are the club’s (and one the league’s) top assist maker you are entitled to a quieter game here and there.

He was targeted last night, which freeed Scowen to do lots of lovely things for BOS and Smyth. If one doesn’t get you the other one will.
Freeman on 09:23 - Apr 11 with 4018 views1JD

Freeman on 08:09 - Apr 11 by Northernr

As expected, he's not been half as good since we switched away from the wing back system. He was never any good as a wide player at Bristol City either. There have been lots of positives about the switch to the back four but moving Freeman out of the 'ten' spot was always going to be a drawback of it.

He still plays through the middle. Last night was a 4-3-3 in attack, 4-5-1 in defensive shape.

Increasingly infuriating with his overall play. Whilst everyone else has quickened up their passing game, he just holds onto it and for the most part, attacking play is breaking down because of him.

Nothing to do with his position, he’s not been on his game for some time. 10-15 games and counting in my view. Why? Pass the f**king ball man, pass the f**king ball!
Freeman on 09:40 - Apr 11 with 3949 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Thought he played ok but didn't quite happen for him. When you've got an attacking line up like last night with Smyth and Bright flying around. Sylla holding a high line. Cousins doing whatever Cousins does. You need someone up there who can hold onto the ball.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Freeman on 09:55 - Apr 11 with 3885 viewsozranger

Freeman on 09:40 - Apr 11 by CliveWilsonSaid

Thought he played ok but didn't quite happen for him. When you've got an attacking line up like last night with Smyth and Bright flying around. Sylla holding a high line. Cousins doing whatever Cousins does. You need someone up there who can hold onto the ball.

Agree fully. However, you also need to release the ball to the players who can do something with it, like each of those you mentioned. That was something he was not doing last night. We had two of the fastest players on the pitch yesterday - BOS and Smyth - and yet there were times when Freeman just could not find the way to pass the ball to them. Instead he held on to it and then normally, passed it back. There were two clear break-aways in the second half where we had both of BOS and Smyth race past him but instead of pushing the ball into a position that gave one of them the chance to attack further up field, Freeman, instead, chose to hold on to the ball and then eventually pass it sideways or backwards, thus losing all the momentum that was attained from the fast break. I do hope Ollie does something for him. I guess, one could replace him with Eze, but while Eze has the feet, he doesn't have the quickness nor the tackling ability of Freeman. It would be great to have a mix of the two.
Freeman on 10:06 - Apr 11 with 3835 viewsStanisgod

Freeman on 09:55 - Apr 11 by ozranger

Agree fully. However, you also need to release the ball to the players who can do something with it, like each of those you mentioned. That was something he was not doing last night. We had two of the fastest players on the pitch yesterday - BOS and Smyth - and yet there were times when Freeman just could not find the way to pass the ball to them. Instead he held on to it and then normally, passed it back. There were two clear break-aways in the second half where we had both of BOS and Smyth race past him but instead of pushing the ball into a position that gave one of them the chance to attack further up field, Freeman, instead, chose to hold on to the ball and then eventually pass it sideways or backwards, thus losing all the momentum that was attained from the fast break. I do hope Ollie does something for him. I guess, one could replace him with Eze, but while Eze has the feet, he doesn't have the quickness nor the tackling ability of Freeman. It would be great to have a mix of the two.

I was saying exactly the same. Love him most of the time but the second half especially last night play just stopped when he got it. Watched Smyth at those times making runs in front of him but he held on until tacked or passed back. Wierd game all round to be honest.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Freeman on 10:29 - Apr 11 with 3733 viewsBAWHoops

As Clive says this system doesn't suit him as well and the emergence of Eze has meant the crowd suddenly has a new darling.

However, he still does a hell of a lot of attacking organisation on the pitch. He's always telling players where to run, what pass to make etc etc. So many of our goals have come from him getting on the ball and orchestrating play with a pass, a shout to Bidwell/Cousins/Furlong about what to do next.
He's a real team player and a much tougher cookie than I thought.

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Freeman on 10:35 - Apr 11 with 3704 viewsdaveB

I thought he just held onto the ball too long last night, can't blame him as that was the first time in an age when we had 2 quick wide players screaming for an early pass but he never made it
Login to get fewer ads

Freeman on 10:56 - Apr 11 with 3629 viewsoldmisery

Freeman on 09:55 - Apr 11 by ozranger

Exactly how I saw it. Freeman is often guilty of over-egging the pudding but last night (especially in the second half) he was infuriating.

Can't agree with the original poster about everyone playing well though. Apart from the initial 20 minutes, when all our players got into every Wednesday opponent big time, I thought Cousins was dreadful. I know he's had more than one injury and has often been played out of position since his arrival but even when deployed as a central midfielder he doesn't look a decent Championship player and yet Charlton fans I know were upset when he left them.
Freeman on 11:47 - Apr 11 with 3544 viewsEsox_Lucius

I thought Cousins was OK last night. I recall several moments where I was cheering some particular course of action he had taken in the game. He didn't pull up any trees but I wouldn't have picked him out as a disappointment. Low points for me were Darnell's positioning for both their goals and Freeman's inability to pick his passes last night but those are niggardly complaints as both did many other things well last night. Darnell looks as though he would benefit from a bit of speed training as is deceptively slower than I used to think he was; something offset by the fact that he is a better header of the ball than I first imagined.

The grass is always greener.

Freeman on 11:55 - Apr 11 with 3520 viewskensalriser

I noted that Forestieri was given the freedom of Shepherd's Bush for his goal last night. No-one near him and he wasn't even that wide.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Freeman on 11:58 - Apr 11 with 3514 viewsDavieQPR

Thought Furlong got dragged out of position trying to cover Baptiste who had roamed. Freeman does seem to want that one extra touch. Good chance went begging because he didn't hit it first time.Cousins was like the tide, sometimes in and sometimes out.
Smythe goal was class. Excellent first touch and I don't think the ball touched the ground with the low shot. Nice to see Smithies back to his best.
Freeman on 12:03 - Apr 11 with 3494 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Freeman on 10:35 - Apr 11 by daveB

I thought he just held onto the ball too long last night, can't blame him as that was the first time in an age when we had 2 quick wide players screaming for an early pass but he never made it

I'd largely agree with that. At one stage, attacking down the Ellerslie side into the Loft there was a split-second to pass someone in but he didn't see it. My take on him is that he's a hell of n attacking midfield talent but still learning. In that instance and in other instances I've noticed it's not because he sees the pass and decides not to give it, it's that he's caught looking down and misses the opportunity.

He's young and should improves. It's quite possible that playing with pace ahead of him will bring him to the next level quicker.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Freeman on 12:27 - Apr 11 with 3444 viewsTacticalR

Freeman on 10:35 - Apr 11 by daveB

Yes, I wondered if he has got so used to being the creative spark in the team and at times carrying the team in terms of attack that he is having trouble adjusting to the fact that there are more options available now.

Air hostess clique

Freeman on 12:55 - Apr 11 with 3363 viewswombat

Freeman on 12:27 - Apr 11 by TacticalR

Yes, I wondered if he has got so used to being the creative spark in the team and at times carrying the team in terms of attack that he is having trouble adjusting to the fact that there are more options available now.

one thing i have noticed is his reluctance to pass to pavel , in the last four maybe five games they have played together he refused to pass to him ,

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Freeman on 12:58 - Apr 11 with 3355 viewsNorthernr

He looked like he was trying way too hard, thinking way too much, to me last night, though I was only watching on the stream.
Freeman on 13:00 - Apr 11 with 3349 viewsRBlock

Freeman on 12:27 - Apr 11 by TacticalR

That was my thinking. Excels as the primary driving force, but less effective when the whole team are playing well.
Freeman on 13:02 - Apr 11 with 3341 viewsoldmisery

Freeman on 12:03 - Apr 11 by BrianMcCarthy

I'd largely agree with that. At one stage, attacking down the Ellerslie side into the Loft there was a split-second to pass someone in but he didn't see it. My take on him is that he's a hell of n attacking midfield talent but still learning. In that instance and in other instances I've noticed it's not because he sees the pass and decides not to give it, it's that he's caught looking down and misses the opportunity.

He's young and should improves. It's quite possible that playing with pace ahead of him will bring him to the next level quicker.

Don't mean to be picky but he's 26 and has been a professional for 11 years (still the youngest player to feature in the FA Cup - for Gillingham at the age of 15) and has some 325 first team appearances to his name.
I just think it's in his nature to want to beat opponents and get closer to the opposition goal but someone needs to persuade him to get his head up and play the ball quickly when the situation merits it; I'm just not sure that we have anyone on the coaching staff who would be able to do so.
Should Ollie continue to select the Fast and the Furious on opposite wings in future, we need good passers of the ball like Freeman to play it early and to their obvious strengths because, Brian, (if Linfield is a mainly protestant team) the future is clearly both Bright and Orange!
Freeman on 13:15 - Apr 11 with 3287 viewsTacticalR

Freeman on 12:55 - Apr 11 by wombat

one thing i have noticed is his reluctance to pass to pavel , in the last four maybe five games they have played together he refused to pass to him ,

Nothing personal, he's not that keen on passing to Bidwell either.

Air hostess clique

Freeman on 14:05 - Apr 11 with 3189 viewsGuppy22

Freeman wasn't at his best last night and did delay the pass. But to me he has been the player of the year, he has created so much this season and for the reported £300k we paid for him has been a revelation. This is the first time in 5 years I am generally excited about the team we are building and are perhaps 2-3 players away from a genuine promotion push
Freeman on 14:31 - Apr 11 with 3157 viewswombat

Freeman on 13:15 - Apr 11 by TacticalR

Nothing personal, he's not that keen on passing to Bidwell either.

thats werid didnt he pass to bidwell for one of his crosses last night

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Freeman on 14:32 - Apr 11 with 3150 viewstimcocking

Freeman on 08:09 - Apr 11 by Northernr

And now we have two 10s to try and fit. It's going to end in tears.
Freeman on 14:37 - Apr 11 with 3143 viewsquickpassrotter

Freeman on 10:06 - Apr 11 by Stanisgod

I was saying exactly the same. Love him most of the time but the second half especially last night play just stopped when he got it. Watched Smyth at those times making runs in front of him but he held on until tacked or passed back. Wierd game all round to be honest.

A word that I have rarely used relating to QPR players for a very long time - and it's an old fashioned word - ''Greedy''.
Freeman constantly wants more time with the ball than he actually needs. Sometimes he hogs it - only for a few extra seconds granted - but enough time for a defence or retreating midfield to reform. I think that he is on a bonus within his contract for the number of step-overs he can perfect in every game. Please Luke, when the occasion arises just play the ball through into the channel ahead of one of our whippets who is making the run - and do it quickly - you know that you can.
Stop hogging and it, and taking it back into traffic - pass the bloody thing quicker - stop being Greedy, please.
Freeman on 14:40 - Apr 11 with 3129 viewsspencer

Football is an easy game, when players are played in their natural position. Too many managers want "versatile" players these days.
I remember watching England trying to accommodate both Lampard and Gerrard by playing one or either left wing.

As already stated, playing 4-4-2 can hamper Freeman if he plays wide. 5-3-2 suits him...but not the team.
Freeman on 14:45 - Apr 11 with 3117 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Freeman on 13:02 - Apr 11 by oldmisery

Don't mean to be picky but he's 26 and has been a professional for 11 years (still the youngest player to feature in the FA Cup - for Gillingham at the age of 15) and has some 325 first team appearances to his name.
I just think it's in his nature to want to beat opponents and get closer to the opposition goal but someone needs to persuade him to get his head up and play the ball quickly when the situation merits it; I'm just not sure that we have anyone on the coaching staff who would be able to do so.
Should Ollie continue to select the Fast and the Furious on opposite wings in future, we need good passers of the ball like Freeman to play it early and to their obvious strengths because, Brian, (if Linfield is a mainly protestant team) the future is clearly both Bright and Orange!

This is only his third season in the Championship, though. There is a learning curve and hopefully the next step for him is learning to play with his head up all of the time rather than most of the time. I would say that it's the hardest thing to learn/coach.

Either way, I think he's had a fine season and I've loved watching him play. Whatever the reasons for this slight dip in form I'm sure he'll rebound.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024