Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 11:24 - Apr 11 with 3161 viewsAntti_Heinola

4-1, 0-4, 4-2. You would say classic Rangers, but it's not that classic, is it? A set of results as bizarre and surreal as the whole bizarre, surreal game last night, topped off, incredibly, by a piledriving long-range scorcher (by his standards) from Sylla for his second goal. Enjoyable game in which I only felt truly comfortable for the 6 minutes before they scored and the last minute of injury time.

1. SMYTH: In a season that was fairly dull for large portions, bright spots have emerged. Two in particular in the last three months or so - Eze, of course, but also Paul Smyth, who with each passing game looks more and more like a proper player and not, as can happen, an adrenaline-fuelled youngster impacting games through energy alone.

I thought he was very good in this game, the only disappointment was that we failed to get the ball to his feet more often, particularly in the second half. To describe his goal in a match report, it would sound pretty ordinary: goalie flaps cross out to him, he scores. But it was so much better than that. It was a beautiful first touch and then his second was an accurate strike into the corner - nicely placed, and he didn't try to hit it too hard. Really skilful.

Obviously his work rate is fantastic, he has good pace, and he does what you want him to do: if he can go for goal, he will. If he can shoot, he doesn't hesitate. If he gets it wide, he wants to beat his man and cross the bloody thing from the byeline. None of it is complex, but that very simplicity is what makes him so dangerous. As with Eze, I don't want to get too excited, but from nowhere it looks like we've found two players who could cause some serious damage next season.

2. SMITHIES: Nothing he could do about the two goals, and you have to feel for the blighter, having shipped four including that unfortunate own goal on Sat, plus having some fans ludicrously claiming he was at fault for Aluko's goal the other week, plus his little aberration against Norwich in the first half when he did his best Rob Green impression. All of that added together doesn't make a hugely pretty picture, but last night he was, in the end, one of the main differences between the sides. While at one end Wildsmith flapped at one cross, fumbled a tame shot from Bidwell, didn't command his box for Sylla's first and playfully rolled over so he could tickle the ball past him for the fourth, Smithies pulled off a breath-taking save just before the break to keep it at 3-0, and another very good one near the end to keep it at 4-2 to head-off what could have been an immensely embarrassing collapse reminiscent of England's first innings in New Zealand the other week. Lucky to have him.

3. OSAYI-SAMUEL: Another one I'm becoming more optimistic about. Was involved in two goals, looked ready to receive the ball, showed strength and pace and a willingness to try and beat his man. It was probably his best game for the club and you do wonder just why he hasn't had a few more opportunities in the team -particularly as we're light on players who can play left wing. There's lots to like here and he clearly bothered the Wednesday defence for the whole night - I felt he was unlucky to get hooked, although Pav did give us that extra bit of experience as we ran the game down. We shouldn't get too down by 0-4 reverses at rampant Hull, and neither should we get too excited by 4-2 wins against Sheff Wed, but this is what we wanted, wasn't it? Young, hungry players with pace and desire? Eze, Smyth, Bos, possibly Oteh and Chair in the wings too. Really encouraging.

4. COUSINS: Feels unfair to have a moan after a good win and final confirmation we won't be shitting it at our last home game like we were last season (although, as Clive has been saying for ages, relegation has never looked like a genuine possibility except to the most pessimistic or jaded of fans) but I'm starting to tilt the other way with Cousins, as I have with Washington.

Just the other week, I thought he was excellent when he came on at Fulham, but you have to take your chances when they come, and I don't think Cousins is doing it when he gets starts. I feel for him because it's been a wretched two years - he's had injuries, he's been shoved in at right back and right wing, he's been stuck behind three immovable objects in the centre of our midfield... it's such a shame, because still the bes game I've seen him play was for Charlton against us. I was convinced he was a great signing :young, yet experienced, full of energy and drive and skill and power. and it hasn't happened and last night, despite one or two good moments, particularly a lovely passing triangle in the second half, he was one of our weaker players. The thing is he needs games and I wonder whether it would benefit us long term if he went on loan for 6 months next season just to play every week and find himself again.

5. MENTAL STRENGTH: Now, yes, we did come a little too close to somehow chucking away a four-goal lead. And even when we were 4-up it felt weird. We've played better in some games and been 1-0 down thank to our propensity to miss four million chances. But, stop for a moment nd look at the team. Two youngsters and Sylla, who's been out injured for ages, up front. No Luongo, no Onuoha, no Lynch. Three leaders all gone from the side. A converted left back and a clearly struggling Baptiste at centre half. And we won. And we didn't collapse. Now, Wednesday were awful at times, admittedly, but it was greatly encouraging to me that even with an under-strength side we put them to the sword. Onuoha and Luongo are vital to us - captain, and the captain's understudy, and yet we still went out and won. Amazing, really, after Saturday's debacle. I also liked that Ollie took off Scowen, even if I thought it was too early. His message to his players was: I trust you. You can do this without four or five of the players we've relied on this season. And that's important. Chris Ramsey talks about challenging his U23s - putting them in unfamiliar positions or putting them against players he knows could tear them a new one, because that helps you learn. There was similar thinking from Ollie last night when Manning went on, where he was asking him to make sure we don't miss Scowen, one of our most important players. That'll help the squad grow, and also help if and when we do have to sell our better players.

6. SINTON: It was easy to think, when Les brought in Andy Sinton as Ambassador, that it was jobs for the boys, it was a ceremonial role, we'd probably never see him, he'd just shake hands in executive boxes each week. But it hasn't turned out that way and with each passing month the wisdom of having someone like Sinton at the club in this role looks more and more, er, wise. Your reaction is to think 'we don't need this sort of role', but actually we really do. He provides a face for the club, someone people relate to, someone people like and respect, someone who can perform numerous roles. Last night was truly moving. His speech, delivered eloquently from the heart and bravely without notes, about Ray Wilkins I'm sure brought tears to the eyes of many and was clearly appreciated by Ray's family. The stadium went silent as he spoke and although you couldn't see him, it was clear he was choked up - it was a wonderful eulogy. And you wonder who would do that at other clubs? It was perfect that we had Sinton there - fitting. Les deserves credit for spotting that the role was needed - and Sinton has been key to the club finally being welcoming of ex-players when it wasn't in the past (Forever Rs is easily the best half time entertainment since round the pole's turn of the century heyday) too. If Les is now the club's patriarch, a sort of Don, then Sinton is his approachable brother, like a smarter Fredo, and Hoos is the consiglieri, and Birch is Michael, Ollie is Sonny... sorry. Lost the thread there. You know what I mean. Well done Sints.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 11:49]

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:31 - Apr 11 with 3096 viewsFDC

Cheers Antti.

Agreed re Sinton, he really is a great ambassador for the club. He spoke about Ray on the Loftcast and you could hear the genuine emotion in his voice. Very moving.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:36 - Apr 11 with 3095 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agree with all your points, as per usual.

Special mention for the Sinton point, though - beautifully put.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:39 - Apr 11 with 3078 viewsEsox_Lucius

Also very approachable before games and doesn't try to rush off into the ground. I asked him about Ron Hunt around a year or so ago and he wasn't aware of his situation but on several occasions since when I have spoken to him he has updated me on what has been happening in Ron's life; not good really and I very much doubt that we will ever see him on the pitch at Loftus Road but you should never say never. Although I first fell for QPR because of Marsh I always had a strong affinity for Ron Hunt as I used to play centre half myself back then and was chuffed to bits when he set up the winning goal at Wembley.

The grass is always greener.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:40 - Apr 11 with 3068 viewsW7Ranger

Haven't read the whole post post yet Antti, just the knee jerk on Andy Sinton. And whilst everything you have said about Andy Sinton is bang on the money, he has been a superb Ambassador of the Club since he's returned, he wasn't an Ollie appointment. I think Les got him not long after we were relegated from the Prem. So was either when Ramsay was still in charge or when JFH was in charge. Think he's been with us now for about 2 and a half years or so. But that aside, he's been a great Ambassador for the Club. You can tell how much it means to him and that QPR (like Olly) is HIS club.

Last night, he was completely on point.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:49 - Apr 11 with 3020 viewsericgen34

Thank you, great as usual.

Another thing about Sinton for us overseas watching the games on QPR+ is that his commentary durig the games is excellent - as is his commentary partner
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:50 - Apr 11 with 3014 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:40 - Apr 11 by W7Ranger

Haven't read the whole post post yet Antti, just the knee jerk on Andy Sinton. And whilst everything you have said about Andy Sinton is bang on the money, he has been a superb Ambassador of the Club since he's returned, he wasn't an Ollie appointment. I think Les got him not long after we were relegated from the Prem. So was either when Ramsay was still in charge or when JFH was in charge. Think he's been with us now for about 2 and a half years or so. But that aside, he's been a great Ambassador for the Club. You can tell how much it means to him and that QPR (like Olly) is HIS club.

Last night, he was completely on point.

Thanks mate, I have absolutely no idea why I wrote Ollie there, I know it was Les, I was thinking of Les when I wrote it - no idea why I put Ollie. Weird. that's what comes of not checking your work. Amended now, cheers!

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:54 - Apr 11 with 3000 viewsA40Bosh

How sad am I that the highlight of my weekend/mid-week, as I cant get to many matches this term is watching the post match highlights commentary when:
1) Sinton is the co-commentator
2) We score a goal

His screams as we score are a joy to behold and I think it was on the Fulham commentary when we equalised, he didn't say anything after the initial scream, and then said something along the lines of "sorry, just needed a minute to compose myself there......"

Love the bloke.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:56 - Apr 11 with 2991 viewsdaveB

I doubt you meant it like this but to say we found Eze and Smyth from nowhere is a bit unfair.

Les Ferdinand gets a lot of stick from the jobs for the boys and what does he do mob but he has put a structure in place at the club where we now have scouts looking for these kind of players, ones who didn’t quite make it at other clubs like Eze and then look to give them a chance here. He talked a lot when he came in about the talent not being the problem but the lack of a pathway to the first team and that has now happened thanks to him and the last 3 managers who have taken in on board and given kids a chance.

Smyth is a player who was well scouted by the club with an eye on the future rather than the next 5 minutes, same with bright Samuel, Oteh, Chair and Lumley. These kind of players are not emerging by accident.
Login to get fewer ads

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:59 - Apr 11 with 2972 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 11:56 - Apr 11 by daveB

I doubt you meant it like this but to say we found Eze and Smyth from nowhere is a bit unfair.

Les Ferdinand gets a lot of stick from the jobs for the boys and what does he do mob but he has put a structure in place at the club where we now have scouts looking for these kind of players, ones who didn’t quite make it at other clubs like Eze and then look to give them a chance here. He talked a lot when he came in about the talent not being the problem but the lack of a pathway to the first team and that has now happened thanks to him and the last 3 managers who have taken in on board and given kids a chance.

Smyth is a player who was well scouted by the club with an eye on the future rather than the next 5 minutes, same with bright Samuel, Oteh, Chair and Lumley. These kind of players are not emerging by accident.

Of course, I know all that, not really what I meant. more just that in Nov, we're thinking 'how can we ever afford an exciting forward again' and by March we have two of them. Appreciate all the scouting etc, but there's no guarantees with youngsters they'll take to first team football as they have done. I doubt many predicted they'd do as well as they have done so far 4 months ago.

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 12:12 - Apr 11 with 2921 viewsDavieQPR

My son was at the ground when the news about Ray broke and I can assure you all the
sentiments expressed were so, so genuine. Some things we do get right.Ray's family must
have been so proud last night as I was with the club.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 12:47 - Apr 11 with 2803 viewsTheChef

Cheers Antti.

Re Cousins, actually last night I thought arguably he was the best of our central midfielders where Scowen did alright but looked like a walking red card; and Freeman while exciting to watch was trying to do a bit too much with the ball. Cousins buzzed around to good effect, put in some good tackles and used the ball simply. Hope we can see him more often in that role next season (injuries permitting...).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 13:30 - Apr 11 with 2665 viewsPinnerPaul

My knee jerks to the knee jerks

1) Agree, although for a period in 1st half he went centre of the 3 up front, no idea why as, as you say, most effective out wide
2) Smithies - agree again, although there were only 80 seconds left when he made that last save, surely even we wouldn't have let another one in then would we..........?
3) Like you thought he was unlucky to be hooked, but as you say Pav did the job asked perfectly
4) Cousins - Like one or two others I thought he did ok, certainly no where near a 'Conor' for me!
5) Agree 100%
6) Agree 200% and he was in fact wiping the tears from his eyes as he went back to the gantry for 2nd half co - comm duites
7) I thought ref was excellent! ;-)
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 13:36 - Apr 11 with 2643 viewsrobith

Interesting you thought Scowen came off too early - I wanted him hooked after the fourth. He was coming off that pitch one way or another, we just had a choice about whether we'd be allowed to replace him. He was very fortunate to remain on the pitch
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 13:59 - Apr 11 with 2570 viewsNorthernr

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 13:30 - Apr 11 by PinnerPaul

1) Agree, although for a period in 1st half he went centre of the 3 up front, no idea why as, as you say, most effective out wide
2) Smithies - agree again, although there were only 80 seconds left when he made that last save, surely even we wouldn't have let another one in then would we..........?
3) Like you thought he was unlucky to be hooked, but as you say Pav did the job asked perfectly
4) Cousins - Like one or two others I thought he did ok, certainly no where near a 'Conor' for me!
5) Agree 100%
6) Agree 200% and he was in fact wiping the tears from his eyes as he went back to the gantry for 2nd half co - comm duites

7 - So did I, although Jordan has only given him a six in the report so brace yourself for that :-D
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 14:06 - Apr 11 with 2552 viewsJuzzie

I think an honourable mention to Bidwell too.

At 4-2 and Sheff Weds with nothing to lose getting a bit more adventurous, twice in the space of a few minutes he made decisive tackles to stop them breaking down their right flank that easily could have resulted in a foul or even a yellow card. He timed them to perfection. Oh, and he scored too.
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 16:22 - Apr 11 with 2406 viewsPinnerPaul

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 13:59 - Apr 11 by Northernr

7 - So did I, although Jordan has only given him a six in the report so brace yourself for that :-D

I've already commented - don't know where he got the Baptiste caution from either - didn't see it myself and not in offy match stats!

Having said that, reckon I might, just might, be able to write a match report NOT involving us, but far too caught up in the emotions to be able to write one myself after watching the Rs!
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 17:17 - Apr 11 with 2348 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 13:30 - Apr 11 by PinnerPaul

5) Agree 100%

2. Mate. Would you have wanted that last minute with the score at 4-3?

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 17:19 - Apr 11 with 2342 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 13:36 - Apr 11 by robith

Interesting you thought Scowen came off too early - I wanted him hooked after the fourth. He was coming off that pitch one way or another, we just had a choice about whether we'd be allowed to replace him. He was very fortunate to remain on the pitch

You make a great point, I'd forgotten that. He got booked and then made a bad tackle 5 mins later and I worried he might get sent off.

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 17:21 - Apr 11 with 2341 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 14:06 - Apr 11 by Juzzie

I think an honourable mention to Bidwell too.

At 4-2 and Sheff Weds with nothing to lose getting a bit more adventurous, twice in the space of a few minutes he made decisive tackles to stop them breaking down their right flank that easily could have resulted in a foul or even a yellow card. He timed them to perfection. Oh, and he scored too.

Yeah, Bids should have been one of the 6, my mistake. Set up the first, scored the second, and one tackle in particular second half was crucial. Had a good game.

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 17:26 - Apr 11 with 2325 viewsPinnerPaul

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 17:17 - Apr 11 by Antti_Heinola

2. Mate. Would you have wanted that last minute with the score at 4-3?

No, but would probably only have been time to kick off and that would have been it.

Your original point is spot on though, without Alex it could have been a much more un comfortable evening.

Just seen that point blank save in the 1st half on the highlights - top top save!
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 17:27]
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 17:46 - Apr 11 with 2284 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 17:26 - Apr 11 by PinnerPaul

No, but would probably only have been time to kick off and that would have been it.

Your original point is spot on though, without Alex it could have been a much more un comfortable evening.

Just seen that point blank save in the 1st half on the highlights - top top save!
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 17:27]

You weren't at the Brentford game then? ;)
No, of course we would have hung on. But still...

Bare bones.

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 18:46 - Apr 11 with 2234 viewsPinnerPaul

Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 17:46 - Apr 11 by Antti_Heinola

You weren't at the Brentford game then? ;)
No, of course we would have hung on. But still...

That's football isn't it?

Think it was you that said we have looked much more comfortable defending a 1 goal lead than we did defending a 4-0!

Still, I'll take the wins however they arrive!
Antti's Six Knee Jerks: QPR 4 Sheff Wed 2 on 19:06 - Apr 11 with 2215 viewsbosh67

Excellent report 100% spot on.

I actually found myself getting edgy, vocal and annoyed at how deep and narrow we got at 4-0! Like you it was only in the last 90 seconds that I realised Weds had finally given up the winning 5-4 idea.

Sinton is so impressive. Club is lucky to have him. Can you imagine a time machine with him and Smyth down the wings?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024