Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just Back 18:03 - Apr 14 with 4542 viewsBklynRanger

We missed Scowen; Eze seemed off the pace; Smith got nothing to the point where it wasn't even worth challenging for the ball in his last 10 mins; and the ref and linesman on the Ellerslie Rd side had obviously never been to or watched a game of football in their lives - mindbendingly bad.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2018 18:08]
Just Back on 18:14 - Apr 14 with 4451 viewsBlue_Castello

Agreed posted the same when I got back on the match thread
Just Back on 18:21 - Apr 14 with 4413 viewsdannyblue

We really missed Freeman's set pieces, Smithies distribution, Scowen's energy. It was all flat. They alway look nervous when Baptiste is playing. Great cross for the goal, but otherwise Manning was off too.
Just Back on 18:31 - Apr 14 with 4345 viewsBlackCrowe

Just Back on 18:21 - Apr 14 by dannyblue

We really missed Freeman's set pieces, Smithies distribution, Scowen's energy. It was all flat. They alway look nervous when Baptiste is playing. Great cross for the goal, but otherwise Manning was off too.

I know IH was trying other players out but to be honest I'd rather see our first team play when i pay money and travel to W12. Accept that approach in the league cup etc but not a league game

Ref was terrible but the result was fair. We never got going.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Just Back on 18:33 - Apr 14 with 4338 viewsTripleR

Have to agree with all that.

The team selected today was not the best we could have put out.
Good opportunity to play 1 or 2 U23 players was missed.

I thought Baptiste had a very good game today
Just Back on 18:58 - Apr 14 with 4230 viewsBostonR

In the second halve Preston were everything we are not. Organised, stuck to their game plan, won almost every second ball and wanted to win it. Ollie made decent subs and then played hoof ball. Give me their back four everyday over Baptiste (who was woeful) and Bidwell who did a great impression of a pub player. Their two centre-backs were outstanding and their No4 was MOM.
IH has done his job in keeping us up but the journey this season has been bang average as evidenced by his hoof ball tactics today. It will be the same next season. If Preston can produce a team on probably 50% of our budget something is seriously wrong with our approach.
Just Back on 19:07 - Apr 14 with 4183 viewssmegma

Hopefully Ollie will have learnt that making 5 changes from one of the best performances of the season was going too far. In particular, making two changes within the holy trinity in midfield did not work. Either Scowen or Freeman should have started alongside Luongo. You can rest one of them but resting two didnt work.

The only player that can hold his head up high is Darnell Furlong. Another strong performance .
Just Back on 19:15 - Apr 14 with 4137 viewsVancouverHoop

Just Back on 18:33 - Apr 14 by TripleR

Have to agree with all that.

The team selected today was not the best we could have put out.
Good opportunity to play 1 or 2 U23 players was missed.

I thought Baptiste had a very good game today

Agreed. I thought Baptiste had a good game, much better than Robinson.

We did miss Scowen though. Cousins isn't a like-for-like replacement, and we ended up with most of the midfielders not, apparently, aware of who was covering who.
Just Back on 19:37 - Apr 14 with 4056 viewsEsox_Lucius

Yep, I thought Baptiste was our best player today but no more than a 7.5/10. Manning was very poor.

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

Just Back on 19:43 - Apr 14 with 4014 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Just Back on 18:58 - Apr 14 by BostonR

In the second halve Preston were everything we are not. Organised, stuck to their game plan, won almost every second ball and wanted to win it. Ollie made decent subs and then played hoof ball. Give me their back four everyday over Baptiste (who was woeful) and Bidwell who did a great impression of a pub player. Their two centre-backs were outstanding and their No4 was MOM.
IH has done his job in keeping us up but the journey this season has been bang average as evidenced by his hoof ball tactics today. It will be the same next season. If Preston can produce a team on probably 50% of our budget something is seriously wrong with our approach.

Something was seriously wrong with our approach. We're still paying for it. Preston have been a well run for a long time.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Just Back on 19:46 - Apr 14 with 3999 viewsLblock

Just Back on 19:43 - Apr 14 by CliveWilsonSaid

Something was seriously wrong with our approach. We're still paying for it. Preston have been a well run for a long time.

PNE kept it simple and consistent

Us?
Ollie and the friendly approach

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Just Back on 19:56 - Apr 14 with 3960 viewsRangersw12

Could clearly see which team has something to play for an which didn't

Nothing more than that IMO
Just Back on 19:56 - Apr 14 with 3959 viewssmegma

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ian-holloway-admits
Just Back on 20:32 - Apr 14 with 3804 viewsdannyblue

I thought Baptiste was at fault for the first goal. He got sucked forward to challenge for a header that someone else (Robinson?) was already going for, then neither of them won it. That left their guy running at Bidwell who gave him quite a bit of space but by now couldn't commit. Valiant effort from Baps trying to clear off the line but didn't manage it.
Just Back on 20:50 - Apr 14 with 3712 viewsbosh67

Just Back on 19:37 - Apr 14 by Esox_Lucius

Yep, I thought Baptiste was our best player today but no more than a 7.5/10. Manning was very poor.

What game were you watching?

Agree Baptiste was excellent but Manning was poor? He was the only player passing straight or creating anything. Wonderful delivery for the goal, deft header well saved. Numerous cross field passes and a number of good touchline passes down the wings second half. Of a flat bunch he was the only player finding his targets at all.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Just Back on 21:15 - Apr 14 with 3606 viewsbosh67

We lost all shape and system basics second half today after not a bad first half in which we almost certainly should have got what looked like a blatant penalty at 1-0. Thought PNE played pretty well but they were managed to crowd the ref at every opportunity, got almost every decision, body checked our players at will and then almost started several impromptu barbecue time outs to wind the game down.

Thought Baptiste was excellent under quite intense pressure and used the ball well. Of all the outfield players and contrary to some very strange observations I thought Manning was the only player who consistently picked out team mates and even looked like creating anything. His ball back to Smith for the goal was exceptional and some of his cross field passing was top dollar. What game were some people watching.

Apart from that after a decent first half we looked lost and disconnected second half and PNE for all their tactics to wind the game down were worth their win. I thought the ref had an exceptional game as their 12th player. MOTM for them really. We've been spoilt with some good refs this season and PNE deserved to win but the ref left me wondering what the f*ck just happened.

Ingram was okay in goal but it was his presence that made the back 4 nervous. His only start this season to be fair but he doesn't command the area anywhere near as well as Smithies. Eze was taught a valuable lesson today in that some teams will do their homework on him and double up on him. He has to give and go quicker and he also needs to track back and press harder. It will come.

Second half we lost our way and couldn't string passes together or get the ball down at all. Manning was the only one able to connect anyone. I felt we were resting players before the Brentford game but they will have to be totally on their game next week because Brentford are playing really well and we can't really embarrass ourselves their again, even though there is nothing in the game apart from pride.

Shame we couldn't repeat any of our first half endeavour today. The equaliser got them back in it and they were the only team that came out 2nd half, with their own ref.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Just Back on 22:20 - Apr 14 with 3468 viewsBostonR

Just Back on 19:43 - Apr 14 by CliveWilsonSaid

It’s not about FFP for me. How about trying to play football, have a game plan etc. IH always defaults to hoofing it. We actually had some decent footballers on the pitch - set them up to play. Everything in the second half was long ball to nowhere.
Just Back on 00:02 - Apr 15 with 3284 viewsoldmisery

Just Back on 21:15 - Apr 14 by bosh67

We lost all shape and system basics second half today after not a bad first half in which we almost certainly should have got what looked like a blatant penalty at 1-0. Thought PNE played pretty well but they were managed to crowd the ref at every opportunity, got almost every decision, body checked our players at will and then almost started several impromptu barbecue time outs to wind the game down.

Thought Baptiste was excellent under quite intense pressure and used the ball well. Of all the outfield players and contrary to some very strange observations I thought Manning was the only player who consistently picked out team mates and even looked like creating anything. His ball back to Smith for the goal was exceptional and some of his cross field passing was top dollar. What game were some people watching.

Apart from that after a decent first half we looked lost and disconnected second half and PNE for all their tactics to wind the game down were worth their win. I thought the ref had an exceptional game as their 12th player. MOTM for them really. We've been spoilt with some good refs this season and PNE deserved to win but the ref left me wondering what the f*ck just happened.

Ingram was okay in goal but it was his presence that made the back 4 nervous. His only start this season to be fair but he doesn't command the area anywhere near as well as Smithies. Eze was taught a valuable lesson today in that some teams will do their homework on him and double up on him. He has to give and go quicker and he also needs to track back and press harder. It will come.

Second half we lost our way and couldn't string passes together or get the ball down at all. Manning was the only one able to connect anyone. I felt we were resting players before the Brentford game but they will have to be totally on their game next week because Brentford are playing really well and we can't really embarrass ourselves their again, even though there is nothing in the game apart from pride.

Shame we couldn't repeat any of our first half endeavour today. The equaliser got them back in it and they were the only team that came out 2nd half, with their own ref.

I did wonder why the referee was wearing a green top and now I know, of course, he was their Man Of The Match.
In all seriousness, not just incompetent but really, really biased. I'm sure the programme used to state both the ref's name and where he comes from/lives but all today's back page told me was his name. Should have said 'Robert Jones from Preston whose hobbies include masturbating whilst wearing a green shirt'.
Just Back on 00:21 - Apr 15 with 3244 viewsBoston

Just Back on 00:02 - Apr 15 by oldmisery

I did wonder why the referee was wearing a green top and now I know, of course, he was their Man Of The Match.
In all seriousness, not just incompetent but really, really biased. I'm sure the programme used to state both the ref's name and where he comes from/lives but all today's back page told me was his name. Should have said 'Robert Jones from Preston whose hobbies include masturbating whilst wearing a green shirt'.

Green....is the colour for mental health lack of awareness.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Just Back on 00:56 - Apr 15 with 3182 viewsdixiedean

Just Back on 19:07 - Apr 14 by smegma

Hopefully Ollie will have learnt that making 5 changes from one of the best performances of the season was going too far. In particular, making two changes within the holy trinity in midfield did not work. Either Scowen or Freeman should have started alongside Luongo. You can rest one of them but resting two didnt work.

The only player that can hold his head up high is Darnell Furlong. Another strong performance .

Oh Luongo played did he ? I didn't notice him . Totally anonymous especially compared to their No 4 who reminded me of Tommy Docherty but a much better and less mental version. Manning 's corners were shocking- never beat the first man once. Olly has to stop tinkering next week and put out a proper team as I can't face another humiliation from those pricks . Smithies back is a must (play Ingram in the other games if he has to ) as is Scowen and Freeman . Need Smyth's verve and niggle too . Not a game for Eze or BOS IMO . And Jesus let's have a decent ref after today's joker . Rarely has a ref just allowed a team to do what they like. If they'd brought out a hamper and had a picnic in the centre circle I don't think he'd have done anything. Not the reason we lost though.
Just Back on 01:19 - Apr 15 with 3150 viewstimcocking

We missed Freeman and we missed Scowen. That was like watching England at their worst; totally incapable of controlling and passing a ball.

Have to say though, ffs. Your front three helps you win 4-0, so what do you do in the next game? Do you start the same front three, or do you change two of them? Answers on a postcard.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 1:21]
Just Back on 01:28 - Apr 15 with 3135 viewstimcocking

Not sure Baptiste should be singled out really. I think he's been pretty admirable in his time with us all things considered.

We simply couldn't retain possession without Luke Freeman. Eze seems promising, but does nothing for 90% of matches thus far.
Just Back on 08:06 - Apr 15 with 2937 viewsAgedR

Manning, Samuel, Eze, Furs, Smyth all gaining more experience.

We’ve also had a look at Ingram and I don’t think he has convinced yet.

Ollie has trailed the fact that he will be trying different things, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I thought we were ok first half, but, conceded momentum on the stroke of half time. Baptiste was excellent until the goal, then deteriorated and Bidwell was absolutely fine.

It looked like a classic end of season game, where one team had more to play for.

My thoughts were, looking at the team and subs bench, that we have built a decent young squad this season and I think Ollie deserves enormous credit. I’m excited about our prospects next season. Top 10 pushing for playoff contention is definitely not out of the question and that would be real progress. It’s the earliest I’ve renewed for years (on a nil interest monthly payment - again to the club’s credit).

But that doesn’t seem to be the view of a large element of our fan base. We wanted young players (check), we wanted to get rid of the high earning tossers (check), we wanted to be strong at home (by and large check) and we wanted to play attractive football (last two gom games yielded 8 goals).

Clearly that isn’t enough for some.

Then again I thought the ref was decent until a mad last 20 pivoting around the decision to ignore a body check on Eze.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 8:08]

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Just Back on 08:54 - Apr 15 with 2831 viewsWatford_Ranger

Surprised about the negativity on Manning. For the first 35 minutes he was running the game from the right then got moved to the left and didn’t do anything. Presumably to give Bright a chance on the right where he was equally anonymous.

Easy to say now but had Smyth started I doubt Cunningham would have still been on the pitch at half time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024