Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vietnam 12:18 - Apr 18 with 5154 viewsLoftusR

Following from the thread on Cuba and the fact that there is not much football to talk about I thought I would follow the holiday theme.

I plan to visit Vietnam in August. Rough itinerary it Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang and finishing in HCMC.

Are there any must do things to see, do, eat, try or places to stay or any locations I really should visit instead of the above? Any recommended trips or tours or good travel agencies to work with?

Vietnam on 12:33 - Apr 18 with 5124 viewssmegma

Most beautiful country I've visited.
Hanoi. Very conservative capital compared to the southern cities. One thing you MUST do there is visit the Water Puppet Theatre. It's a huge tourist attraction in the city centre. You won't be disappointed.
Ha long Bay is outstanding. We shlepped out to Cat Ba Island on a little trawler boat and went hiking for 2 days. On the way we stopped at one of the thousand of islands in the bay and went swimming. Bring your camera.

HCMC (Saigon). The Tunnels Of Cu Chi are a must. As long as you're not claustrophobic. A boat trip on the Mekong Delta is a great day out. Just don't eat the Durian. A fruit described as 'looks like $hit, smells like $hit and tastes like $hit'. It's banned on the Singapore metro for a reason.

The city of Dalat is worth a visit just for the Crazy House Hotel or Hang Nga Guesthouse. It's a tourist attraction in its own right. I was asleep one morning when a bus load of yanks were shown into my room the hotel owner. Da lat is known as the Petit Paris of Vietnam because of the architecture. There's even a miniature Eiffel Tower.

Na Trang is renowned for the best beach in the world, although that's debatable of course.

Hue is full of history although I couldn't visit due to 2 metre floods so had to fly north to get past it.

Google them all.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 12:37]
Vietnam on 13:10 - Apr 18 with 5080 viewsBoston

Vietnam on 12:33 - Apr 18 by smegma

Hanoi. Very conservative capital compared to the southern cities. One thing you MUST do there is visit the Water Puppet Theatre. It's a huge tourist attraction in the city centre. You won't be disappointed.
Ha long Bay is outstanding. We shlepped out to Cat Ba Island on a little trawler boat and went hiking for 2 days. On the way we stopped at one of the thousand of islands in the bay and went swimming. Bring your camera.

HCMC (Saigon). The Tunnels Of Cu Chi are a must. As long as you're not claustrophobic. A boat trip on the Mekong Delta is a great day out. Just don't eat the Durian. A fruit described as 'looks like $hit, smells like $hit and tastes like $hit'. It's banned on the Singapore metro for a reason.

The city of Dalat is worth a visit just for the Crazy House Hotel or Hang Nga Guesthouse. It's a tourist attraction in its own right. I was asleep one morning when a bus load of yanks were shown into my room the hotel owner. Da lat is known as the Petit Paris of Vietnam because of the architecture. There's even a miniature Eiffel Tower.

Na Trang is renowned for the best beach in the world, although that's debatable of course.

Hue is full of history although I couldn't visit due to 2 metre floods so had to fly north to get past it.

Google them all.

Did you eat that fruit!?!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Vietnam on 13:11 - Apr 18 with 5075 viewssmegma

Vietnam on 13:10 - Apr 18 by Boston

Did you eat that fruit!?!

No but my ex missus did. Just the smell of it was enough. You can detect it 100 yards away.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 13:16]
Vietnam on 13:57 - Apr 18 with 5040 viewsLoftusR

Vietnam on 12:33 - Apr 18 by smegma

Google them all.

I did visit Vietnam 25 years ago. So I have been to Delat, Nha Trang and HCMC. I actually met my wife in Nha Trang who was also back packing. We now plan to go back with our three kids to show them the country as they are sick of our stories.

One thing I did do in Delat was to attend a local football match. it was a match between. Delat Town and HCMC which was considered a local derby. HCMC were league leaders and Delat were third. Few things I remember were that the level of football was about school level. However this only encoureged the supporters. Every error was greated with either cheers or laughter. Never heard any booing. Also is pissed with rain through out which only added the mayhem. Finally there was a crowd of about 5000 people and I was the only westerner. I think I had a picture taken with all of them
Vietnam on 16:16 - Apr 18 with 4981 viewsDorse

You weren't there, man.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Vietnam on 16:22 - Apr 18 with 4972 views1MoreBrightonR

I would skip Nha Trang and spend longer in Hoi An...Hoi an is fantastic. beautiful place and amazingly relaxed. Nha Trang wasnt anything special and its a pretty standard city beach...the claim its the best anyway is pushing it! My gf got back last week from a 2 week stay and said the towns outrside nha trang had nice beaches but were very dirty and suffering a bit after a recent typhoon...they do probably need tourist income at the moment though. She did say there were too many gated resorts for Russians in those towns.

Hue...interesting history but the town itself is pretty dull as most of it got destroyed in the war.

Dalat's a nice and odd little place.

Halong bay...probably worth spending a bit extra to get on a smaller boat that doesnt follow the usual itinerary...some are on tripadvisor. We spent the night in a bay with about 15 other big boats and i think there are better ways of doing it, but the backpacker budget didnt allow it!
Vietnam on 19:11 - Apr 18 with 4898 viewsFredManRave

All about opinions, obviously and I agree with those that suggest that Nah Trang isn't all that. Would agree though regarding the "Tunnels Tour" which is amazing and also a trip to Halong Bay taking in a very scenic boat trip. Would also add Hoi An as an alternative for a decent beach destination. And finally Sa Pa in the north. A beautiful, fairly mountainous region where I did some trekking, nothign too difficult which had some stunning views. A good break from the hustle and bustle of HCMC.

Was there 16 years ago and had a great time. Travelled from north to south on the overnight sleeper trains. Would love to go back and see how much it's changed.

Beautiful country though although the people were usually just after your $$.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Vietnam on 19:18 - Apr 18 with 4891 viewskensalriser

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Vietnam on 19:19 - Apr 18 with 4890 viewsFDC

Vietnam was the place I most enjoyed visiting when living in Asia. Hoi An is stunning. I'd recommend taking your lives in your own hands and exploring by bike. Absolutely mental.

The river lit up by lanterns in the evening is beautiful.
Vietnam on 20:16 - Apr 18 with 4855 viewsdannyblue

I was there 20 years ago so it must have changed massively, but Tam Coc didn't seem to be on the main drag and was stunning. Like the land that time forgot. Expected pterodactyls but got kingfishers as a granny rowed us on a small boat with her feet through karst caves and the brightest greenest vegetation I've seen.
Vietnam on 21:48 - Apr 18 with 4819 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I hadn’t been for 21 years, and popped over to Hanoi and enjoyed an evening quaffing with ‘Our Man in Hanoi’. So message him for the inside track.

Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue and Hoi An are tremendous. And much of what is said above is solid. However, if it’s other mentioned, then you’ll be arriving in the rainy season.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Vietnam on 23:00 - Apr 18 with 4773 viewsTacticalR

Someone once said that Vietnam is to war what Brazil is to football (since WW2 Vietnam has defeated France, the United States, China and Cambodia).

Air hostess clique

Vietnam on 23:09 - Apr 18 with 4757 viewsFDC

Just remembered. In Hoi An we did a cooking class. Just checked my old emails, it was with Green Bamboo. Sounds lame but it was great fun. They take you round the market and buy the ingredients, and if you're in to food it's a good way of tasting and learning how to cook some seriously tasty Vietnamese
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 23:21]
Vietnam on 23:15 - Apr 18 with 4751 viewsTripper

Spent three weeks there this time last year, absolutely loved the place.

Most of the must do's have been mentioned, but I'd add the night walking food tour in Hanoi which was great, a day tour to the stunning Ninh Binh and I'd second the recommendation for Sapa.

Had a week in Hoi An which was amazing.

The only thing I wouldn't be too bothered about again is The Mekong Delta.
Vietnam on 23:46 - Apr 18 with 4712 viewsPunteR

Vietnam looks ace. I wish i done more travelling before kids came along.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Vietnam on 03:02 - Apr 19 with 4658 viewsKiwi76

We were there last July - very very hot! 38deg and humid so be prepared.

Great tour in Hanoi with Hanoi Kids where varsity students take you round some sights and good to get their perspective on the country and its future - think was free but we bought them lunch and gave tip for their time.

We just did Hanoi - Halong Bay - Hoi An and plan to go back and do southern bit later.

Hoi An is nice and relaxed and pedestrianized for much of the day so no dodging scooters! We did cooking school there and recommend that as they definitely cater for average ability - bit of fun and nice scoff at same time.

Really loved the place but kids (11yo & 14yo)found heat and crowds a little tough - first trip they'd had like that.
Enjoy!
Vietnam on 03:17 - Apr 19 with 4656 viewstimcocking

Haven't been often enough to recommend any particular agencies or what have you, but Vietnam is cool as hell i love it. Whereas Thailand is absoluted saturated with tourists, Vietnam (Cambodia and Laos) not so much. The Vietnamese national dress on Vietnamese girls is truly a wonder of the world. If you get the chance, get up in the mountains. It's a narrow country, so you won't be too far away.

Ps And call it Saigon. Such a cooler name and it's what the Vietnamese still call it. Only westerners say HCMC. Same applies with Burma. It's still Burma, not Myanmar, to everybody in or near it.
Vietnam on 07:06 - Apr 19 with 4602 viewsHanoi_r2017

Hi LoftusR,

I've been living in Hanoi for 13 years, so if you've got any question feel free to drop me a PM.

I'd say your initial itinerary of Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang and finishing in HCM City is sound, but there are a few other options you might want to consider.

You could do the more adventurous motorbike tours up to Dien Bien Phu or the incredible stone landscapes of Ha Giang in the far north, or take a north-south drive down the Ho Chi Minh Highway along the Central Highlands, perhaps eventually driving down via Dalat to Nha Trang for the beach.

Tam Coc/Ninh Binh is well worth a visit, it's basically where Kong was filmed, plus there are amazing caves to explore in Quang Binh.

Feel free to get in touch, I'm happy to answer any questions

Opps, edit for just noticing you're bringing 3 kids along! So maybe scratch the idea about motorbiking! Drop me a line anyway with any questions you have.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2018 7:11]
Vietnam on 08:21 - Apr 19 with 4562 viewsLoftusR

Vietnam on 07:06 - Apr 19 by Hanoi_r2017

Hi LoftusR,

I've been living in Hanoi for 13 years, so if you've got any question feel free to drop me a PM.

I'd say your initial itinerary of Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang and finishing in HCM City is sound, but there are a few other options you might want to consider.

You could do the more adventurous motorbike tours up to Dien Bien Phu or the incredible stone landscapes of Ha Giang in the far north, or take a north-south drive down the Ho Chi Minh Highway along the Central Highlands, perhaps eventually driving down via Dalat to Nha Trang for the beach.

Tam Coc/Ninh Binh is well worth a visit, it's basically where Kong was filmed, plus there are amazing caves to explore in Quang Binh.

Opps, edit for just noticing you're bringing 3 kids along! So maybe scratch the idea about motorbiking! Drop me a line anyway with any questions you have.

Cheers Hanoi, I’ll drop you a note.

Anyone else got any advice on getting a visa. Tried to do it on line with what I thought was the gov erment web site but it turned out to be some agency wanting to charge silly money for it.

Should I just rock up at the embassy in London and get them?
Vietnam on 09:06 - Apr 19 with 4544 viewsMrSheen

Vietnam on 07:06 - Apr 19 by Hanoi_r2017

Hi LoftusR,

Hanoi!! We're here, we're there...
Vietnam on 10:23 - Apr 19 with 4500 viewssmegma

Vietnam on 13:57 - Apr 18 by LoftusR

I did visit Vietnam 25 years ago. So I have been to Delat, Nha Trang and HCMC. I actually met my wife in Nha Trang who was also back packing. We now plan to go back with our three kids to show them the country as they are sick of our stories.

One thing I did do in Delat was to attend a local football match. it was a match between. Delat Town and HCMC which was considered a local derby. HCMC were league leaders and Delat were third. Few things I remember were that the level of football was about school level. However this only encoureged the supporters. Every error was greated with either cheers or laughter. Never heard any booing. Also is pissed with rain through out which only added the mayhem. Finally there was a crowd of about 5000 people and I was the only westerner. I think I had a picture taken with all of them

I went to a game in HCMC as well. I saw Cong Dong FC play some team whose name I've forgotten. It was poor but not helped by 6 inch long grass. The crowd politely clapped when both teams scored a goal. There was no shouting in the stands whatsoever.
Vietnam on 11:24 - Apr 19 with 4479 viewsHanoi_r2017

Yep MrSheen! There's a few Vietnamese following us now too, though not thanks to anything I've done! You might be familiar with the QPR FC in Vietnam Facebook page, which is run by a local and is often first with the match videos!

In terms of visas LoftusR, UK passport holders are exempt from visas currently if you are in Vietnam for less than 15 days (they're likely to extend the duration of stay and application of the free visa). See below.

'Until 30 June 2018 ‘British Citizen’ passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days (inclusive of dates of entry and exit) without a visa.'

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements

The overriding impression I'm getting from the Vietnamese media is that UK passport holders will continue to be exempt even after June 30 2018 but the government just haven't got around to renewing the policy, so hold off on buying a visa. Worst comes to the worst you can arrange visas on arrival and it isn't expensive
Vietnam on 12:10 - Apr 19 with 4449 views1MoreBrightonR

would second the cycling tour around Hoi an. beautiful, easy and a nice view to local life.
Vietnam on 13:13 - Apr 19 with 4424 viewsLoftusR

Vietnam on 11:24 - Apr 19 by Hanoi_r2017

Yep MrSheen! There's a few Vietnamese following us now too, though not thanks to anything I've done! You might be familiar with the QPR FC in Vietnam Facebook page, which is run by a local and is often first with the match videos!

In terms of visas LoftusR, UK passport holders are exempt from visas currently if you are in Vietnam for less than 15 days (they're likely to extend the duration of stay and application of the free visa). See below.

'Until 30 June 2018 ‘British Citizen’ passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days (inclusive of dates of entry and exit) without a visa.'

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements

The overriding impression I'm getting from the Vietnamese media is that UK passport holders will continue to be exempt even after June 30 2018 but the government just haven't got around to renewing the policy, so hold off on buying a visa. Worst comes to the worst you can arrange visas on arrival and it isn't expensive

We are planning a three week trip so a visa is required I believe? Any advice from those who have travelled recently?
Vietnam on 22:54 - Apr 19 with 4320 viewsTripper

Vietnam on 13:13 - Apr 19 by LoftusR

We are planning a three week trip so a visa is required I believe? Any advice from those who have travelled recently?

I got mine from the Embassy in town, the alternative is a Vietnamese tour operator can arrange a letter of approval which I think works out cheaper.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024