Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report 12:34 - Apr 22 with 5849 viewsNorthernr

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report 22nd Apr 2018 12:22
A year on from being torn apart by a rampant Brentford at Griffin Park, QPR were back at their neighbours on Saturday for what turned out to be another disappointing defeat. 14

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 13:23 - Apr 22 with 4254 viewsRangersw12

Quite a generous match report , I thought we were awful with no game plan

For me Brentford didn't need to get out of 2nd gear

It isn't acceptable for us to be the worst team in West London again
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 13:39 - Apr 22 with 4221 viewsBushRanger82

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 13:23 - Apr 22 by Rangersw12

I don't know what it is about Brentford, but we always seem to come away from Griffin Park, having left our pride in the dirt on their terraces.
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 14:16 - Apr 22 with 4163 viewsswitchingcode

Good report of a game that I felt we were by far the better footballing side and as usual this season haven’t killed off teams when well on top through poor finishing in the first 30 minutes.After the penalty miss we looked very poor and after the equaliser thought we were uncomfortable and looked more likely to concede another for the first 10 mins of second half.We then stepped up a few gears and dispite a couple of outstanding saves from Smithies it was inevitable that we would score and Jozefzoon obliged by cutting inside of Bidwell and blasting the winner.Thought this game could have ended very differently if the ref had viewed the penalty differently along with Woods elbow Watkins tackle and a few poor tackles by Bidwell and Scowen.Sorry to hear about the passing of Olli’s mum and glad the Bees fans who were in the forecourt after the game respected this and refrained from giving him and abuse after the game after being given the news by Mark Devin.
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 17:06 - Apr 22 with 3926 views18StoneOfHoop

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 14:16 - Apr 22 by switchingcode

Good report of a game that I felt we were by far the better footballing side and as usual this season haven’t killed off teams when well on top through poor finishing in the first 30 minutes.After the penalty miss we looked very poor and after the equaliser thought we were uncomfortable and looked more likely to concede another for the first 10 mins of second half.We then stepped up a few gears and dispite a couple of outstanding saves from Smithies it was inevitable that we would score and Jozefzoon obliged by cutting inside of Bidwell and blasting the winner.Thought this game could have ended very differently if the ref had viewed the penalty differently along with Woods elbow Watkins tackle and a few poor tackles by Bidwell and Scowen.Sorry to hear about the passing of Olli’s mum and glad the Bees fans who were in the forecourt after the game respected this and refrained from giving him and abuse after the game after being given the news by Mark Devin.

Spit unpopular post - everyone - well 7 + at least - loves good old respectful Switching Code.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 8:06]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 17:19 - Apr 22 with 3906 viewsswitchingcode

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 17:06 - Apr 22 by 18StoneOfHoop

Spit unpopular post - everyone - well 7 + at least - loves good old respectful Switching Code.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 8:06]

Don’t read then ,or put me on ignore pretty simple
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 17:58 - Apr 22 with 3838 viewsconnell10

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 17:19 - Apr 22 by switchingcode

Don’t read then ,or put me on ignore pretty simple

Or do us all a favour and dont post on our site! Simples!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:01 - Apr 22 with 3834 viewsDannyPaddox

I'd have to sum up yesterday's game by saying: "Bus stop in Hounslow. You're just a Bus stop in Hounslow!"
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:02 - Apr 22 with 3831 viewsRangersw12

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 17:58 - Apr 22 by connell10

Or do us all a favour and dont post on our site! Simples!

Bit harsh as it's not like he comes on and starts gobbing off .

It would be good if more away fans posted as its always interesting to hear other fans perspective IMO especially if respectful like Konk and the Brentford fella
Login to get fewer ads

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:27 - Apr 22 with 3791 viewsNorthernr

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:02 - Apr 22 by Rangersw12

Bit harsh as it's not like he comes on and starts gobbing off .

It would be good if more away fans posted as its always interesting to hear other fans perspective IMO especially if respectful like Konk and the Brentford fella

Yeh, completely agree and I hope it continues and he's joined by more like him. Give me a respectful Brentford or Fulham fan providing an outsider's perspective on QPR, and letting us know what's going on at their club, over a QPR fan who goes around correcting everybody's grammar and saying things like "one less shirt lifter to tell us how normal their life is" any day of the week thank you. Like he says, if you don't like it stick him on ignore.
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:29 - Apr 22 with 3787 viewsNorthernr

I guess it depends what prism you see it through really. If you're not a fan of Holloway, or you're grumpy about our current situation, there was plenty to go on. If you are a fan of Holloway and/or you think we're making steady progress, likewise. I guess I saw it through the lens of expecting a sound thrashing (they're a better team than us at the moment, we had no defence, they had lots to play for an we didn't) and was quite grateful and surprised that didn't materialise. I didn't think it was a particularly positive report - said we weren't at the races at one point - but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and that's probably why I threw that Clint Hill comment in at the end. It's dangerous territory when you're happy with any defeat, to anybody, in any circumstances because it was 'only 2-1' and you thought it would be worse.
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:34 - Apr 22 with 3780 viewsRangersw12

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:29 - Apr 22 by Northernr

I guess it depends what prism you see it through really. If you're not a fan of Holloway, or you're grumpy about our current situation, there was plenty to go on. If you are a fan of Holloway and/or you think we're making steady progress, likewise. I guess I saw it through the lens of expecting a sound thrashing (they're a better team than us at the moment, we had no defence, they had lots to play for an we didn't) and was quite grateful and surprised that didn't materialise. I didn't think it was a particularly positive report - said we weren't at the races at one point - but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and that's probably why I threw that Clint Hill comment in at the end. It's dangerous territory when you're happy with any defeat, to anybody, in any circumstances because it was 'only 2-1' and you thought it would be worse.

I'm usually in the camp of happy with our progress but yesterday and Holloways stupid comments running up to it really wound me up

To be 15/16 points behind Brentford and 30 odd behind Fulham is a disgrace

Massive summer for us to see what club we're going to be going forwards let's hope Penrice has some gems in the pipeline !!
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 20:34 - Apr 22 with 3570 viewsswitchingcode

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:27 - Apr 22 by Northernr

Yeh, completely agree and I hope it continues and he's joined by more like him. Give me a respectful Brentford or Fulham fan providing an outsider's perspective on QPR, and letting us know what's going on at their club, over a QPR fan who goes around correcting everybody's grammar and saying things like "one less shirt lifter to tell us how normal their life is" any day of the week thank you. Like he says, if you don't like it stick him on ignore.

Fully understand fans not liking others posting we have a few regulars on ours even some of yours but there is an option..I was drinking with a couple of Qpr mates before and after the game and one sat with me during the game so you won’t get me giving it large on here or anywhere else.
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 20:43 - Apr 22 with 3551 viewsAgedR

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:34 - Apr 22 by Rangersw12

I'm usually in the camp of happy with our progress but yesterday and Holloways stupid comments running up to it really wound me up

Massive summer for us to see what club we're going to be going forwards let's hope Penrice has some gems in the pipeline !!

The reality is that we are in a pretty shit state. We’re miles from Fulham or Brentford and don’t have the basic infrastructure to emulate Millwall (of all fucxin clubs).

Yet we still seem desperately keen to give more support to the Malasian mob that are ‘running’ this clusterfxuck.

Have they learnt...have they really?

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 21:08 - Apr 22 with 3497 viewsEsox_Lucius

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 20:43 - Apr 22 by AgedR

The reality is that we are in a pretty shit state. We’re miles from Fulham or Brentford and don’t have the basic infrastructure to emulate Millwall (of all fucxin clubs).

Yet we still seem desperately keen to give more support to the Malasian mob that are ‘running’ this clusterfxuck.

Have they learnt...have they really?

It hasn't been a clusterfück since Ruben became joint CEO. I'm happy to see the development of the club follow the current path we are on.

The grass is always greener.

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 22:59 - Apr 22 with 3301 viewsPunteR

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 21:08 - Apr 22 by Esox_Lucius

It hasn't been a clusterfück since Ruben became joint CEO. I'm happy to see the development of the club follow the current path we are on.

Clutching at straws a bit.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 00:19 - Apr 23 with 3227 viewssmegma

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 14:16 - Apr 22 by switchingcode

"Jozefzoon obliged by cutting inside of Bidwell and blasting the winner".......why does the plank save his worse performance for the trip to Griffin Park each season ???
[Post edited 23 Apr 2018 0:24]
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 07:32 - Apr 23 with 3019 viewsHarbour

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 18:34 - Apr 22 by Rangersw12

It is hard take we have slipped so far but I believe we will probably have a few more seasons like this in front of us. Brentford are a well run club and a good footballing side. but there are very good signs we are heading in the right direction with the young lads coming through the cutting of the wage bill and Warren Farm. If we can stay in the division for the next two seasons or so sort out the fine we will as a club done well...sounds grim but that’s is where we are imo.
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 07:51 - Apr 23 with 2995 viewsEsox_Lucius

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 22:59 - Apr 22 by PunteR

Clutching at straws a bit.

How so? You can't have failed to notice the gradual move into the black financially, the introduction of young players into the first team, a willingness to work hard and never give up in games coupled with the last obstacles being removed in the bid to improve our training facilities. It feels a long way from clutching at straws IMO.

The grass is always greener.

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 08:18 - Apr 23 with 2968 viewssmegma

Why is Warren Farm used as a pointer that the future is all rosey in the garden??

It's a field that the team will train on. They currently train on a field in Harlington.
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 08:50 - Apr 23 with 2931 viewssimmo

Surprised it was 2-1 tbh, Brentford a good few years ahead of us with a clear plan being seen through, we're in the relatively early stages of not being a basket case of cnts throwing money at anyone that wants it. We were winning the league with Warnock a few years back and Brentford were nowhere to be seen, now things have changed but we'll be on a more competitive footing again soon.

That's IF you believe all of this transition means better times are coming, which I do.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 09:02 - Apr 23 with 2921 viewsqprd

Our game plan was crap- though, instead of blaming Ollie, its just a function of the mediocrity of our squad. We only have 3-4 players who don't have glaring weaknesses (midfield 3 and maybe Pav). There were Ollie's four choices for the match, and I'll explain why each one was terrible:

1. Hoofball (with Smith as striker instead of Sylla): this seemed the most obvious option, and ultimately what we did for much of the first 40 minutes (except with Sylla instead of Smith). We barely had possession, and Baptiste (playing as a left sided centre back where he wasn't as comfortable) and Furlong (playing out of position) were keen to just hoof long every time the ball. Furlong, who actually had a good game under the circumstances, didn't even try to pass on the ground. Ingram, too, started going long constantly after the early mix-up with Scowen.

Since our centre backs/keeper were just punting long, it might have seemed logical to have just played Smith as the battering ram. However, Brentford's most important player is Woods in deep center midfield, and Smith does not have the speed or stamina to mark Woods as Sylla did for part of the match.

Playing Smith gives you a slightly better aerial threat and target, but you lose the ability to control the opposition danger man. Not a good option.

2. Hoofball in a 4-4-2 (with Smith and a secnd striker like Oteh or Washington). This wasn't an option. Itwould force Freeman to left winger, where he hasn't shown positional discipline. This would be a disaster given Brentford's propensity to attack wide/kick diagonal long balls to the wings. Also, even if Freeman was disciplined defensively, we'd be totally overrun in midfield. Not a good option.

3. Sylla with a linkup man of Eze. Sylla was invisible for most of the first half othr than his goal. He clearly doesn't like long balls hoofed to him in the same way Smith does. One way to have brought Sylla into the game is through a link-up, between the lines type player. This would have been Eze, who could have played in Smyth's place. However, Eze, for all his talent, doesn't have a good work rate defensively. Against Brentford who would have a lot of possession, you want hustlers who can win the ball back like Pav or Smyth. Playing Sylla and Eze together would mean we'd never win the ball back.

So essentially, playing Eze would have upgraded our attack by providing a link to the front (allowing us to keep it on the ground instead of just punting long), but we would have been in s**t defensively.

4. Counterattack. This was a very interesting option. Washington is a pacey striker, but he does not really run behind the defense, so this wouldn't work with him. The best option here would have been Bright Samuel, in a role very similar to the role he played in the last 20 minutes of the Barnsley match in February where he became a solo, counterattacking striker. BOS has the work rate and speed to mark Woods out of the game, while also providing a counterattacking punch with Smyth (who is also really good at running behind). While philosophically this might have been the way to beat Brentford, BOS just has not been given enough game time to play in this role. and do you blame Ollie for not trying? If he did something bold like this, he'd be absolutely slaughtered by the fans for "tinkering".

my point is, all of the options were crap. Sylla was too isolated to receive hoofballs and this isn't totally his game; Smith is too immobile to mark Woods; Eze doesn't defend; BOS isn't experienced enough- our players just aren't that versatile, so Ollie is left with all bad choices.

Ultimately, there is one thing you can criticize Ollie for v brentford. Sometimes you just play a better tam and you have to set up for a draw. We were clearly flagging at around the 60th minute; chasing the ball, and playing against a much better footballing side in a heated, chippy derby is tiring when you're constantly out of possession.

Ollie should have made the change when he saw we were flagging. Cousins or Manning should have been brought in to shore things up (in a similar way to how Cousins was used against Fulham). Sometimes you just have to play for a draw. Unfortunately, Ollie is reactionary with his subs and is very rarely content to just settle for a point. If we want to make a push next year, Ollie needs to figure out when we should be gunning for 3 points or just 1 point. I ahvent seen this from him in 18 months as manager
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 09:25 - Apr 23 with 2883 viewssmegma

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 09:02 - Apr 23 by qprd

Our game plan was crap- though, instead of blaming Ollie, its just a function of the mediocrity of our squad. We only have 3-4 players who don't have glaring weaknesses (midfield 3 and maybe Pav). There were Ollie's four choices for the match, and I'll explain why each one was terrible:

1. Hoofball (with Smith as striker instead of Sylla): this seemed the most obvious option, and ultimately what we did for much of the first 40 minutes (except with Sylla instead of Smith). We barely had possession, and Baptiste (playing as a left sided centre back where he wasn't as comfortable) and Furlong (playing out of position) were keen to just hoof long every time the ball. Furlong, who actually had a good game under the circumstances, didn't even try to pass on the ground. Ingram, too, started going long constantly after the early mix-up with Scowen.

Since our centre backs/keeper were just punting long, it might have seemed logical to have just played Smith as the battering ram. However, Brentford's most important player is Woods in deep center midfield, and Smith does not have the speed or stamina to mark Woods as Sylla did for part of the match.

Playing Smith gives you a slightly better aerial threat and target, but you lose the ability to control the opposition danger man. Not a good option.

2. Hoofball in a 4-4-2 (with Smith and a secnd striker like Oteh or Washington). This wasn't an option. Itwould force Freeman to left winger, where he hasn't shown positional discipline. This would be a disaster given Brentford's propensity to attack wide/kick diagonal long balls to the wings. Also, even if Freeman was disciplined defensively, we'd be totally overrun in midfield. Not a good option.

3. Sylla with a linkup man of Eze. Sylla was invisible for most of the first half othr than his goal. He clearly doesn't like long balls hoofed to him in the same way Smith does. One way to have brought Sylla into the game is through a link-up, between the lines type player. This would have been Eze, who could have played in Smyth's place. However, Eze, for all his talent, doesn't have a good work rate defensively. Against Brentford who would have a lot of possession, you want hustlers who can win the ball back like Pav or Smyth. Playing Sylla and Eze together would mean we'd never win the ball back.

So essentially, playing Eze would have upgraded our attack by providing a link to the front (allowing us to keep it on the ground instead of just punting long), but we would have been in s**t defensively.

4. Counterattack. This was a very interesting option. Washington is a pacey striker, but he does not really run behind the defense, so this wouldn't work with him. The best option here would have been Bright Samuel, in a role very similar to the role he played in the last 20 minutes of the Barnsley match in February where he became a solo, counterattacking striker. BOS has the work rate and speed to mark Woods out of the game, while also providing a counterattacking punch with Smyth (who is also really good at running behind). While philosophically this might have been the way to beat Brentford, BOS just has not been given enough game time to play in this role. and do you blame Ollie for not trying? If he did something bold like this, he'd be absolutely slaughtered by the fans for "tinkering".

my point is, all of the options were crap. Sylla was too isolated to receive hoofballs and this isn't totally his game; Smith is too immobile to mark Woods; Eze doesn't defend; BOS isn't experienced enough- our players just aren't that versatile, so Ollie is left with all bad choices.

Ultimately, there is one thing you can criticize Ollie for v brentford. Sometimes you just play a better tam and you have to set up for a draw. We were clearly flagging at around the 60th minute; chasing the ball, and playing against a much better footballing side in a heated, chippy derby is tiring when you're constantly out of possession.

Ollie should have made the change when he saw we were flagging. Cousins or Manning should have been brought in to shore things up (in a similar way to how Cousins was used against Fulham). Sometimes you just have to play for a draw. Unfortunately, Ollie is reactionary with his subs and is very rarely content to just settle for a point. If we want to make a push next year, Ollie needs to figure out when we should be gunning for 3 points or just 1 point. I ahvent seen this from him in 18 months as manager

I'd counter that with the fact Pavel does have a weakness. He has no end product. Time and time again he gets to the byline and his crosses, for want of a better word, hit the first defender.

In fact all of our players have weaknesses. That's why we're a lower league table side.
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 10:20 - Apr 23 with 2804 viewsloftus77

At the end of the day, is it too simple to say it all comes down to the following:

Brentford are currently a very well run club, with decent people at the helm, and have been run pretty well for many years upto 2015.

QPR are currently a very well run club, with decent people at the helm, and have been run like Billy Smart's Circus for many years upto 2015.
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 10:32 - Apr 23 with 2787 viewsdaveB

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 10:20 - Apr 23 by loftus77

At the end of the day, is it too simple to say it all comes down to the following:

Brentford are currently a very well run club, with decent people at the helm, and have been run pretty well for many years upto 2015.

QPR are currently a very well run club, with decent people at the helm, and have been run like Billy Smart's Circus for many years upto 2015.

That's pretty much it, Brentford are having the best few years for decades and look a good side but ultimately will start next season in the same division as us and unless they get promotion in the next few years they are going to struggle to maintain this
QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 13:27 - Apr 23 with 2609 viewsloneranger1

QPR beaten at Brentford again - Report on 09:02 - Apr 23 by qprd

Thanks for that, seemed very insightful to me (I wasn't at the game)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024