Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Windrush 19:08 - Apr 23 with 19444 viewsBushman

Fckin shameful the way these people have been treated after they came to work here as commonwealth citizens and help rebuild Britain after WW2.

They also made up 15% of the population at the time.

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Windrush on 23:47 - Apr 24 with 3668 viewsphilc

Windrush on 17:43 - Apr 24 by simmo

That letter is shameful. I hope Farage and his cronies realise their part in this, they mined the seam of unhappiness and disillusion and channeled it towards ‘immigrants’ so they could encourage more votes for their cause. It’s no surprise reports of racial abuse increased so much after the Brexit vote and why more creatures like the one that scrawled that hateful letter have started to feel their opinions are anything other than disgusting. Farage and those like him contributed to this country becoming a less tolerant, kind and hospitable place to exist and they did it all purely to enhance their own political careers. I hope they die screaming.

When they sent out the leaflet with the queue of people waiting to “get in” to the country I noticed that they were all brown faces. It was then I knew that UKIP were prepared to use race as a reason to leave the EU and I’m sure it played a big part in the result, especially in the labour supporting northern towns.

In many ways it was a bigger lie than the famous NHS bus claims.
Windrush on 23:56 - Apr 24 with 3664 viewsTacticalR

'For the past 10 days or so, the government has struggled to provide any convincing answers for its treatment of the Windrush generation.

It was just one of those things that could have happened to any government. Nobody’s fault. Especially not Theresa May’s or Amber Rudd’s. Just something that had got a bit out of hand.

What had started as a few helpful hints to remind people to talk in West Indian accents on their holidays had mysteriously snowballed into a large-scale deportation and detention policy.'

John Crace, Only one answer to the red terror: absolute rule by Jacob Rees-Mogg
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/24/only-one-answer-to-the-red-terro

Air hostess clique

Windrush on 02:44 - Apr 25 with 3601 viewsWanderR

The 'hostile environment' policy started under the Major government and has been incrementally developed by successive blue and red governments. May merely gave it a name and publicity courtesy of the rather pointless 'Go Home' vans. It's also worth noting that 9 out of 10 of the 'Windrush' generation (Commonwealth citizens who arrived between 1948 and 1973) obtained British citizenship decades ago. An even smaller percentage haven't got current paperwork confirming their status. Most of those affected arrived as children from the Caribbean, usually on their parents' passports, and have never left the UK. As such they have never had a passport of their own and often have no evidence that they arrived as and when they claim and subsequently have had difficulty providing sufficient evidence of their 40+ years of residence. It was a predictable result of the last few rounds of legalisation but there's no conspiracy. The Home Office was simply applying the current rules as voted for Parliament - tried renting a property or starting work without showing your passport recently? - and the government simply didn't reckon on such a public outcry.

Current location: OX10

Windrush on 08:30 - Apr 25 with 3575 viewsrsonist

Windrush on 19:13 - Apr 24 by kensalriser

This one is totally mindblowing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-underground-attack-woman-

Immigrant descendants acting like the EDL is a whole other bonkers kettle of fish.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5598895/Woman-SPITS-chicken-shop-worker-

This was a couple of days before the tube incident - the way our Amina here switches from fluent Arabic cursing to fluent Yorkshire bigotry is a proper head-spinner.
Windrush on 08:41 - Apr 25 with 3561 viewsPhildo

Windrush on 02:44 - Apr 25 by WanderR

The 'hostile environment' policy started under the Major government and has been incrementally developed by successive blue and red governments. May merely gave it a name and publicity courtesy of the rather pointless 'Go Home' vans. It's also worth noting that 9 out of 10 of the 'Windrush' generation (Commonwealth citizens who arrived between 1948 and 1973) obtained British citizenship decades ago. An even smaller percentage haven't got current paperwork confirming their status. Most of those affected arrived as children from the Caribbean, usually on their parents' passports, and have never left the UK. As such they have never had a passport of their own and often have no evidence that they arrived as and when they claim and subsequently have had difficulty providing sufficient evidence of their 40+ years of residence. It was a predictable result of the last few rounds of legalisation but there's no conspiracy. The Home Office was simply applying the current rules as voted for Parliament - tried renting a property or starting work without showing your passport recently? - and the government simply didn't reckon on such a public outcry.

That is totally correct - people have been voting for these type of policies for a long time- Red and Blue- as we have been sliding into Nationalism. It is horrible and you fear where this is going to end. The people who have been winning all the arguments seem to be those who want to turn the clock back to an idea of England rather than a reality. There do not seem to be any good guys to vote for either. May got the PM job as she was seen as having done a good job at the home office (which was at one time a political graveyard) espousing policies like these.
Windrush on 08:46 - Apr 25 with 3546 viewsTheChef

Windrush on 23:37 - Apr 24 by philc

I agree this wasn’t an error, they achieved exactly what they set out to achieve.

Oh, for sure. The news cycle these days is just absolutely ridiculous, mirroring the current attention span of the average Joe and the state of so called journalism. Or is it PR? I forget these days.

Bombing Syria? 'Poisoning' Russians?

Move along please, here's something else for you to get het up about and forget all that other stuff people were starting to ask difficult questions about.

You can be sure the Windrush stuff will die down and there'll probably be some more ISIS terrorism bollocks to distract us instead.

And on and on and on it goes...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Windrush on 10:46 - Apr 25 with 3497 viewsWren67

The people of the Windrush Generation and their children who either came with them or joined them later in Britain were British. They arrived with British passports and were legal citizens in Britain. They were proudly British at home in the Mother Country.

In 1973 the law changed. The Windrush Generation (amongst others ) lost their automatic right to citizenship and were obliged to apply and pay for citizenship and passport.

This piece of legislation produced at least one extraordinary result. It robbed a distinguished comedian of his rights. Spike Milligan (may he rest in peace) born in India of an English mother and father would have been compelled to apply for British citizenship had he not, in his justified anger, refused and instead applied for Irish citizenship.

I remember it well. Being an avid fan of Spike I listened to his outrage and empathized but unlike him, because I am a child of the Windrush Generation, I didn't have the safety net of the good Irish. I had been mugged and blackmailed into paying for something I already possessed and I could do nothing to the injustice.

I adhere to the cock-up rather than the conspiracy theory but in a week in which the death of Stephen Lawrence marks 25 years and Enoch's Rivers of Blood speech is 50 years, I ponder.
Windrush on 10:49 - Apr 25 with 3489 viewsWren67

Windrush on 10:46 - Apr 25 by Wren67

The people of the Windrush Generation and their children who either came with them or joined them later in Britain were British. They arrived with British passports and were legal citizens in Britain. They were proudly British at home in the Mother Country.

In 1973 the law changed. The Windrush Generation (amongst others ) lost their automatic right to citizenship and were obliged to apply and pay for citizenship and passport.

This piece of legislation produced at least one extraordinary result. It robbed a distinguished comedian of his rights. Spike Milligan (may he rest in peace) born in India of an English mother and father would have been compelled to apply for British citizenship had he not, in his justified anger, refused and instead applied for Irish citizenship.

I remember it well. Being an avid fan of Spike I listened to his outrage and empathized but unlike him, because I am a child of the Windrush Generation, I didn't have the safety net of the good Irish. I had been mugged and blackmailed into paying for something I already possessed and I could do nothing to the injustice.

I adhere to the cock-up rather than the conspiracy theory but in a week in which the death of Stephen Lawrence marks 25 years and Enoch's Rivers of Blood speech is 50 years, I ponder.

Small amendment. "Spike Milligan (may he rest in peace) born in India of an English mother and father"

should read "Spike Milligan (may he rest in peace) born in India of an English mother and Irish father"
Login to get fewer ads

Windrush on 13:08 - Apr 25 with 3398 viewsWanderR

Windrush on 10:46 - Apr 25 by Wren67

Not quite correct. The Windrush generation lost their British citizenship (Citizenship of the United Kingdom and Colonies) when their particular country obtained its independence from the UK. They then became citizens of the newly independent country, albeit within the Commonwealth with the right to come to the UK if they met certain conditions. The Immigration Act 1971, which commenced on 1 January 1973, broke the final link between Commonwealth citizenship and the right to come to the UK (although the process had started with the Commonwealth Immigrants Acts 1962 and 1968). On the same day, the UK joined the EEC which permitted freedom of movement from EEC countries. We effectively pivoted away from the Commonwealth and towards Europe. The 1971 Act granted blanket Indefinite Leave to Remain to all those Commonwealth citizens who were already settled in the UK but no paperwork was issued or was required to apply for. Most decided to naturalise or register in the decades that followed. Those that did not and now cannot evidence their status are now those facing problems.

Spike Milligan was born in India to an Irish father and English mother. British women were not able to pass on their citizenship until 1983 so when Ireland and India gained their independence he ceased to be a British subject by birth or descent. He had the option apply for citizenship, but chose not to, falling back on his automatic right to an Irish passport.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 13:26]

Windrush on 14:51 - Apr 25 with 3317 viewsBoston

Windrush on 13:08 - Apr 25 by WanderR

Not quite correct. The Windrush generation lost their British citizenship (Citizenship of the United Kingdom and Colonies) when their particular country obtained its independence from the UK. They then became citizens of the newly independent country, albeit within the Commonwealth with the right to come to the UK if they met certain conditions. The Immigration Act 1971, which commenced on 1 January 1973, broke the final link between Commonwealth citizenship and the right to come to the UK (although the process had started with the Commonwealth Immigrants Acts 1962 and 1968). On the same day, the UK joined the EEC which permitted freedom of movement from EEC countries. We effectively pivoted away from the Commonwealth and towards Europe. The 1971 Act granted blanket Indefinite Leave to Remain to all those Commonwealth citizens who were already settled in the UK but no paperwork was issued or was required to apply for. Most decided to naturalise or register in the decades that followed. Those that did not and now cannot evidence their status are now those facing problems.

Spike Milligan was born in India to an Irish father and English mother. British women were not able to pass on their citizenship until 1983 so when Ireland and India gained their independence he ceased to be a British subject by birth or descent. He had the option apply for citizenship, but chose not to, falling back on his automatic right to an Irish passport.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 13:26]

Is this a ‘to the best of your knowledge’ or the definitive answer? I ask because it is (with more details), what I was under the impression was the position. Many years ago I had a neighbour, originally from Montserrat, who was a broken record about how Britain had shafted the Commonwealth when joining the EEC.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Windrush on 15:33 - Apr 25 with 3284 viewsWanderR

Windrush on 14:51 - Apr 25 by Boston

Is this a ‘to the best of your knowledge’ or the definitive answer? I ask because it is (with more details), what I was under the impression was the position. Many years ago I had a neighbour, originally from Montserrat, who was a broken record about how Britain had shafted the Commonwealth when joining the EEC.

I don't know about 'definitive' but it's what the legislation says. Many Commonwealth countries are very happy about Brexit as it corrects what they see as an historical wrong.

Windrush on 22:12 - Apr 25 with 3194 viewsderbyhoop

If you think that the relatively small, numbers of the Windrush generation who have been mistreated by the Home Office is a scandal then just wait to see how many cock ups are made when 3.5 million EU nationals are expected to apply for "settled status" over a 2 year period.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Windrush on 08:44 - Apr 26 with 3069 viewsSydneyRs

Windrush on 13:59 - Apr 24 by Northernr

It's disgusting, but it's the way this country has been going for several years now and comes as no surprise. Abhorrent, disgusting, outright racist views, attitudes and practices that would have been considered exactly that a decade ago now existing openly and increasingly commonplace under a cover of "telling it like it is", standing up for "British values", or some sort of rebellion against political correctness. Deeply, deeply unpleasant place to live at the moment.

Its bad enough reading this shit on facebook etc, can only imagine what its like living amongst it.
Windrush on 09:25 - Apr 26 with 3038 viewsA40Bosh

Windrush on 23:47 - Apr 24 by philc

When they sent out the leaflet with the queue of people waiting to “get in” to the country I noticed that they were all brown faces. It was then I knew that UKIP were prepared to use race as a reason to leave the EU and I’m sure it played a big part in the result, especially in the labour supporting northern towns.

In many ways it was a bigger lie than the famous NHS bus claims.

"UKIP were prepared to use race as a reason to leave the EU and I’m sure it played a big part in the result, especially in the labour supporting northern towns. "

Mate, it wasn't just the labour supporting nothern towns who bought in to that either. It was rife in the Tory supporting middle class outer North West London suburbian 70+ year olds buying into it to, including my immigrant mother (who I suspect never got her own status changed from British Subject to British Citizen)

"I voted out so that my granddaughters aren't walking around in Burkas in 10yrs time!"

"Sorry?...............Run that one past me again?.......................??"

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Windrush on 21:33 - May 2 with 2843 viewsFDC

David Cameron: "Sunlight is the best disinfectant"

Anyone want to have a stab at arguing this is anything other than a cover up of May's role in the scandal?

Windrush on 21:40 - May 2 with 2837 viewssmegma

Windrush on 14:59 - Apr 24 by kensalriser

What I find most surprising about this letter is that its author can actually write at all.

But , as expected, the grammar leaves a lot to be desired. Where's loftinoz when you need him huh??
Windrush on 21:49 - May 2 with 2823 viewskensalriser

Windrush on 21:33 - May 2 by FDC

David Cameron: "Sunlight is the best disinfectant"

Anyone want to have a stab at arguing this is anything other than a cover up of May's role in the scandal?

Three line whip too. What a grubby government this is turning out to be.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Windrush on 21:52 - May 2 with 2815 viewsQPR_John

Windrush on 21:49 - May 2 by kensalriser

Good grief a government setting a three line whip when has that ever happened before
Windrush on 22:04 - May 2 with 2800 viewsFDC

Windrush on 21:52 - May 2 by QPR_John

Good grief a government setting a three line whip when has that ever happened before

Not really the point is it
Windrush on 22:06 - May 2 with 2793 viewsQPR_John

Windrush on 22:04 - May 2 by FDC

Not really the point is it

Exactly so why was the point made
Windrush on 23:50 - May 2 with 2748 viewsFDC

Windrush on 22:06 - May 2 by QPR_John

Exactly so why was the point made

You've lost me.
Windrush on 00:49 - May 3 with 2739 viewsJigsore

Windrush on 20:49 - Apr 24 by johncharles

The BBC has decided it’s not newsworthy any more.

Radio 4 are still laying it on thick about whether the top Rabbis were impressed with Jeremy Corbyns speech or not or whatever story it is that particular day. makes you think.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Windrush on 02:47 - May 3 with 2727 viewsisawqpratwcity

Windrush on 15:19 - Apr 24 by ted_hendrix

The Gurkhss were treated dreadfully and only a few years ago were granted citizenship but as far as I recall the Government still do not recognise their pensionable rights hence that actress getting involved and all credit to her for doing so.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 15:24]

Yeah, disgraceful the way we treated Gorkss.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Windrush on 03:53 - May 3 with 2709 viewsisawqpratwcity

Windrush on 15:33 - Apr 25 by WanderR

I don't know about 'definitive' but it's what the legislation says. Many Commonwealth countries are very happy about Brexit as it corrects what they see as an historical wrong.

Do you really believe that?

Britain made her decisions about the Common Market in the sixties and seventies entirely on the basis of her own self-interest.

That was reversed in 2016, again, entirely predicated on her own perceived self-interest.

What kind of hayseed colonial bumpkins do you take us for?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Windrush on 08:14 - May 3 with 2651 viewsFDC

Windrush on 21:49 - May 2 by kensalriser

It didn't take long for the civil service to leak incriminating documents once Rudd tried to pin everything on them. Assuming this vote means there's incriminating documents that could bring down May I expect we'll see a much gentler touch in the next month or so. But we can assume the evidence is there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024