Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England 08:15 - May 15 with 9647 viewsElHoop

Bit late to start talking about the Ireland v Pakistan test, the first ever test for the Irish, but better late than never I guess.

Can Ireland set a target of somewhere near 200? If they could then this would be interesting as the pitch is a bit lively now. It's a small chance and in all likelihood Pakistan will close this down fairly quickly. To get things into perspective the last (and only) team to win their first ever test was Australia in THE first ever test.
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 09:30 - May 15 with 6215 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This test and absolutely every test played in Ireland will be a draw.

If today is the first day without rain in 400-odd years and the weather won't save us then it will be some sort of sick joke.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 10:01 - May 15 with 6200 viewsElHoop

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 09:30 - May 15 by BrianMcCarthy

This test and absolutely every test played in Ireland will be a draw.

If today is the first day without rain in 400-odd years and the weather won't save us then it will be some sort of sick joke.

It looks like there's rain over there but surely the chance of a win is worth having? Defeats are soon forgotten but a win in this game would last forever. Go for it Ireland!
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 10:40 - May 15 with 6181 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 10:01 - May 15 by ElHoop

It looks like there's rain over there but surely the chance of a win is worth having? Defeats are soon forgotten but a win in this game would last forever. Go for it Ireland!

Oh, I agree. Looks unlikely, though, doesn't it?

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 10:51 - May 15 with 6177 viewsElHoop

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 10:40 - May 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Oh, I agree. Looks unlikely, though, doesn't it?

Stranger things have happened Brian. A few years ago you'd have fancied Pakistan to fancy losing and making themselves a few quid, but i think that those days are gone now. I would say that you need at least 180 as Pakistan bat quite deep and somebody will score a few even if Rankin and Murtagh knock out the top order. It's been a good test regardless of what happens now - I wonder if Mick will be back again today:

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 11:06 - May 15 with 6166 viewsBrianMcCarthy

O'Brien gone already.

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 11:41 - May 15 with 6128 viewsMrSheen

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 11:06 - May 15 by BrianMcCarthy

O'Brien gone already.

Has the country ground to a halt? Kids up all the trees around the boundary?
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 11:43 - May 15 with 6125 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 11:41 - May 15 by MrSheen

Has the country ground to a halt? Kids up all the trees around the boundary?

Ya, but that's very day!

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 11:55 - May 15 with 6109 viewsElHoop

They need to get them to 33-4 or something like that early on to have any chance. Doesn't look too busy there yet!
Login to get fewer ads

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 12:07 - May 15 with 6093 viewsbob566

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 11:55 - May 15 by ElHoop

They need to get them to 33-4 or something like that early on to have any chance. Doesn't look too busy there yet!

14/2. Come on Ireland
14/3 now.
[Post edited 15 May 2018 12:12]
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 12:20 - May 15 with 6072 viewsMrSheen

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 12:07 - May 15 by bob566

14/2. Come on Ireland
14/3 now.
[Post edited 15 May 2018 12:12]

During the summer of 2005, I was in Ireland for my sister's wedding during the 4th Ashes Test (130 to win...). I was amazed how much interest there was, they were even listening to TMS in the shops in Mitchelstown.
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 12:32 - May 15 with 6058 viewsisawqpratwcity

It's great to have a new Test-playing country and congrats to O'Brien on his century.

Pakistan 32 for 3; need another 128 or Ireland 7 wickets. Good stuff!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 13:06 - May 15 with 6034 viewsElHoop

I think that they are a wicket short at lunch. Need a breakthrough soon after lunch and then another before too long. Maybe a bit of rain would help later as well - that would give the two best bowlers a break. Great game though.
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 13:50 - May 15 with 5986 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Been worth watching this today just to hear the Irish commentator..."one must catch those", "one must be disappointed", "one would be very happy".

As a race, we don't use 'one' as a pronoun. This lad seems hell-bent on statistically making up for the five million of us in one day.

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 14:04 - May 15 with 5958 viewsisawqpratwcity

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 13:50 - May 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Been worth watching this today just to hear the Irish commentator..."one must catch those", "one must be disappointed", "one would be very happy".

As a race, we don't use 'one' as a pronoun. This lad seems hell-bent on statistically making up for the five million of us in one day.

Does he say "see-tee-en"?

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 14:04 - May 15 with 5957 viewsmakaveli1882

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 13:50 - May 15 by BrianMcCarthy

Has any batsman got a knock for dirty tree yet? ....I really hope they have .
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 01:37 - May 16 with 5849 viewsisawqpratwcity

Well done, Pakistan, for doing the necessary, and hearty commiserations to Ireland for finding out that Test cricket is one of the most drawn out ways of getting to sporting disappointment!

it might not seem like much, but this was a highly creditable performance, especially first time out. It took New Zealand 26 years to win their first test, a country of roughly similar population, but one that is now internationally competitive.

Cricket has a big smile on her face today.

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 08:45 - May 16 with 5786 viewsElHoop

Good effort by Ireland - their first innings was obviously the deciding factor. They'll need to find some younger players and fast though, if they're to get off the mark against a top test side in the longer term.

Good to see Inzaman's nephew shaping up nicely. I'm sure that we haven't heard the last of this young man. And he's not shaping up like his uncle in the physical sense either.

Buttler brought home from the IPL for next week's Lord's test. No idea who Bess is but otherwise nothing vaguely startling about the squad, except that Vince was dropped. I think that we'll struggle to win this series, but then again it's only two tests so one win might do it. I'm not sure that two tests actually constitutes a series at all.
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 09:29 - May 16 with 5770 viewshopphoops

Nice thread this - well done Ireland.

Does the team include Ulstermen as in the Rugby? (England also being England and Wales test-wise...)

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 09:56 - May 16 with 5750 viewsMrSheen

I like it that Ed Joyce is one of nine kids, of whom five have played for Ireland (including two brothers and two sisters). Ireland trials are probably Joyces v the rest.

Cecelia and Isobel, for research purposes.

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 09:57 - May 16 with 5749 viewsElHoop

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 09:29 - May 16 by hopphoops

Does the team include Ulstermen as in the Rugby? (England also being England and Wales test-wise...)

Yes I think that it's often forgotten that we are England and Wales and not just England. However we also hoover up the best players from both parts of Ireland and from Scotland, as well as Brits born elsewhere. That's maybe why the England cricket team is popular throughout the British Isles, certainly compared to our other teams anyway.

I'm not sure about the genetic makeup of the Irish team but it certainly includes players from both countries. I don't know whether this ever presents any difficulties in terms of team unity either, or whether it has done in the past. I think that Martin McGuinness was a cricket fan and even he cheered for England.
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 10:00 - May 16 with 5747 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 09:29 - May 16 by hopphoops

Yes, it does, hopp.

Football used to as well, and actually only fragmented for reasons of football (blazer) politics rather than socio-political reasons.

Yesterday's result was disappointing at first but ultimately you'd have to be happy for the small band of people who have lived Irish cricket down the decades and centuries. They've had many great days of late but the first test must have capped them all.

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 10:03 - May 16 with 5739 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 09:57 - May 16 by ElHoop

Yes I think that it's often forgotten that we are England and Wales and not just England. However we also hoover up the best players from both parts of Ireland and from Scotland, as well as Brits born elsewhere. That's maybe why the England cricket team is popular throughout the British Isles, certainly compared to our other teams anyway.

I'm not sure about the genetic makeup of the Irish team but it certainly includes players from both countries. I don't know whether this ever presents any difficulties in terms of team unity either, or whether it has done in the past. I think that Martin McGuinness was a cricket fan and even he cheered for England.

No, there's never been any problems with team unity that I've ever heard of. In fact they come across as a very tight bunch doing a great job together. They used to draw mostly from the Protestant communities in the North and the Dublin 4 Upper Class set in the South but that's been changing for some time now.

*btw 'British Isles? Oh no, no, no...

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 11:51 - May 16 with 5715 viewshopphoops

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 10:03 - May 16 by BrianMcCarthy

No, there's never been any problems with team unity that I've ever heard of. In fact they come across as a very tight bunch doing a great job together. They used to draw mostly from the Protestant communities in the North and the Dublin 4 Upper Class set in the South but that's been changing for some time now.

Fantastic. 13 tests expected in the next 5 years apparently. The first test at Lord's - that'll be a craic!

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 12:35 - May 16 with 5679 viewsElHoop

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 11:51 - May 16 by hopphoops

Fantastic. 13 tests expected in the next 5 years apparently. The first test at Lord's - that'll be a craic!

I don't think that they sell Guinness though, although you can bring a little in with you, as per their website:

Lord's is the only international cricket venue in the world where spectators can bring alcohol into the ground.

A spectator may bring alcoholic drinks into the Ground in one of the following descriptions and quantities:

(I) under 6% ABV — 2 pints (1136 ml); or (II) between 6% and 18% ABV — 75cl.

Amounts of alcohol in excess of these limits and any alcohol in excess of 18% ABV will be confiscated.

Spectators will not be re-admitted to Lord’s Ground at any time during the day if in possession of any alcohol.

Amounts in excess of this will be confiscated. MCC reserves the right to confiscate any quantity of alcohol from any spectator.
Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 12:38 - May 16 with 5673 viewsElHoop

Pakistan cricket tour of Ireland and England on 10:03 - May 16 by BrianMcCarthy

I've always felt very British Islesish though - I'm a complete mongrel in most possible respects. You can call it what you like, but a lot of people here are made up of lots of bits of it. Probably not true of the Irish though!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024