Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England Squad 14:09 - May 16 with 9543 viewssimmo

Goalkeepers: Butland, Pickford, Pope

Defenders: Alexander-Arnold, Cahill, Delph, Jones, Maguire, Rose, Stones, Trippier, Walker, Young.

Midfielders: Alli, Dier, Henderson, Lingard, Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Vardy, Welbeck

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

England Squad on 14:11 - May 16 with 5049 viewssimmo

Pretty much as expected. Welbeck has snuck in which is more a reflection of our paucity of forward options rather than him doing enough to earn a place.

Loads of full backs too - 3 RB's/RWB's and 3 LB/LWB's?? Seems overkill... Shame for the likes of Shelvey and Cook especially who can count themselves hard done by.

England Squad on 14:14 - May 16 with 5025 viewsHunterhoop

England Squad on 14:11 - May 16 by simmo

Pretty much as expected. Welbeck has snuck in which is more a reflection of our paucity of forward options rather than him doing enough to earn a place.

Loads of full backs too - 3 RB's/RWB's and 3 LB/LWB's?? Seems overkill... Shame for the likes of Shelvey and Cook especially who can count themselves hard done by.

With that squad, we're surely playing 343. There aren't enough midfield options for any other system!
England Squad on 14:16 - May 16 with 5008 viewsRBlock

Don't know what Cahill/Jones have done to warrant selection over Tarkowski. No Lallana, quality player but not fit so can't take him.
England Squad on 14:16 - May 16 with 5005 viewspaulparker

Why so many Defenders ?

don't get me wrong I like Trent alexander Arnold but an attacking place should have gone to either Grealish, Sancho, Lookman or Sessagnon that feels like a place wasted to me

Still fair play to southgate though he hasnt picked the same old, same old , he hasn't picked injury prone players or players who haven't performed , we have a decent chance now

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England Squad on 14:17 - May 16 with 5002 viewsbosh67

Why do we need 10 defenders for a tournament? Young can push on but surely Jonjo Shelvey should have got in. Best passer we have. Good that Loftus Cheek is in but was hoping Sessegnonwould make it in. Lots of pace at least.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

England Squad on 14:18 - May 16 with 4989 viewsstuabd

England Squad on 14:11 - May 16 by simmo

They were talking about Shelvey on 5live last night. Henry Winter was saying that his reluctance to play in the U21 under the previous manager had sort of marked his card and that he wasn't exactly flavor of the month amongst Southgate's team and had no chance of being in this squad.
England Squad on 14:29 - May 16 with 4919 viewsWadR

Assume Delph is primarily cover as a cental midfielder and that Southgate is planning on keeping Walker at CB.

Welbeck has tournament experience, something lacking in the majority of the squad, has generally been pretty good for England and ended the season reasonably well for Arsenal.

Midfield is vastly inferior to previous England squads but otherwise I quite like the squad - especially a potentially very exciting front 3 of Kane, Sterling and Alli (with Vardy as an excellent plan B).
England Squad on 14:29 - May 16 with 4916 viewsRBlock

England Squad on 14:17 - May 16 by bosh67

Why do we need 10 defenders for a tournament? Young can push on but surely Jonjo Shelvey should have got in. Best passer we have. Good that Loftus Cheek is in but was hoping Sessegnonwould make it in. Lots of pace at least.

I think Southgate likes that sort of player in this set up - dynamic, physical, able to drive the team forward. Shelvey, whilst being a great passer of the ball, is a bit one paced and lackluster defensively (unless it comes to waist high challenges or stamping on opponents).

The defenders make sense IMO. We have 4 wingbacks for two spots, 5 CBs for two spots (assuming Walker is CB here). We also have versatility, with Young and TAA both being able to play higher up also.
Login to get fewer ads

England Squad on 14:30 - May 16 with 4912 viewsdaveB

England Squad on 14:17 - May 16 by bosh67

a few of those defenders like Young, Dier and Delph can also play in midfield or out wide.

Shelvey was never going to get in, he's an accident waiting to happen
England Squad on 14:35 - May 16 with 4876 viewsToast_R

Interesting. I'd have liked to have seen Shelvey in there for a bit of creativity especially as Lallana is only on stand by. Other then that, I think it's a much needed brand new approach. These guys will hopefully not bring all the weak emotional fear their over ego'ed predecessors have done in previous tournaments. A lot of them have played at junior levels together, I hope they play without the weight of expectation and build as strong team bond.

Quarter Finals at least I reckon...

One more thing... What, no Heskey?
[Post edited 16 May 2018 14:39]
England Squad on 14:36 - May 16 with 4864 viewsToast_R

England Squad on 14:30 - May 16 by daveB

a few of those defenders like Young, Dier and Delph can also play in midfield or out wide.

"Shelvey was never going to get in, he's an accident waiting to happen"

As is Delli Ali but he's never been in doubt.
England Squad on 14:37 - May 16 with 4854 viewsingeminate

England Squad on 14:30 - May 16 by daveB

Concern is we don’t seem to have a playmaker. Say Kane gets injured then we are reliant on Vardy. Who has the Mahrez type vision to find him? I’d have taken Shelvey as he does have that ability - if nothing else as a game changer from the bench.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

England Squad on 14:45 - May 16 with 4798 viewsNorthernr

I like it, apart from the odd one here and there, Welbeck's been sitting on his arse for the best part of two years. It won't do any good but I like the approach, the youth, rather than tried and tested and failed.
England Squad on 14:48 - May 16 with 4779 viewssimmo

England Squad on 14:29 - May 16 by WadR

Assume Delph is primarily cover as a cental midfielder and that Southgate is planning on keeping Walker at CB.

Welbeck has tournament experience, something lacking in the majority of the squad, has generally been pretty good for England and ended the season reasonably well for Arsenal.

Midfield is vastly inferior to previous England squads but otherwise I quite like the squad - especially a potentially very exciting front 3 of Kane, Sterling and Alli (with Vardy as an excellent plan B).

That's the way I am reading it, that he will be playing Walker at CB and Delph will be back up for 2 positions (LB/LWB and CM). I think creatvity is an issue, lots of players that can carry the ball but not any that can thread a ball or pass forward intelligently.

Overall I agree with the above that it's a decent squad for what's available and I like that players in the big 4 are not automatic selections.

England Squad on 14:49 - May 16 with 4772 viewsHunterhoop

I like Shelvey as a player.

But if that stuff is true about refusing to play in the U21 and the bulk of this squad not liking him, we'll be better off without. Better a hole than an arsehole, as Steve Jobs said.

I quite like the squad. I think Bertrand can count himself unlucky.

343 will make is a bit different for other teams too. And we can play that formation in several ways too.

A brave, respectable loss in the quarters, I think.
England Squad on 14:58 - May 16 with 4722 viewsSnipper

Southgate has said that players had to be selected on merit, rather than reputation.

How is Tom Heaton on standby than? He’s hardly played this season.
England Squad on 15:01 - May 16 with 4698 viewssimmo

England Squad on 14:58 - May 16 by Snipper

Southgate has said that players had to be selected on merit, rather than reputation.

He's a 4th choice keeper on standby, who else would you want him to pick?

England Squad on 15:02 - May 16 with 4691 viewsToast_R

England Squad on 14:58 - May 16 by Snipper

That's like most back up Goalkeepers though isn't it?

Heaton is backup for 2 other backups - he's highly unlikely to be playing any tournament.
England Squad on 15:02 - May 16 with 4686 viewsFDC

A brave, respectable loss in the quarters

Lofty ambitions indeed.
[Post edited 16 May 2018 15:02]
England Squad on 15:08 - May 16 with 4639 viewsSnipper

England Squad on 15:01 - May 16 by simmo

He's a 4th choice keeper on standby, who else would you want him to pick?

It’s hardly on merit though.
England Squad on 15:12 - May 16 with 4625 viewsNorthernr

England Squad on 14:49 - May 16 by Hunterhoop

I like Shelvey as a player.

But if that stuff is true about refusing to play in the U21 and the bulk of this squad not liking him, we'll be better off without. Better a hole than an arsehole, as Steve Jobs said.

I quite like the squad. I think Bertrand can count himself unlucky.

343 will make is a bit different for other teams too. And we can play that formation in several ways too.

A brave, respectable loss in the quarters, I think.

Bertrand is unlucky to be playing in an era where there's a lot of good players in that position, Aaron Cresswell the same.

Shelvey can't behave himself, never has been able to, can't resist, so can't have any complaints.
England Squad on 15:18 - May 16 with 4587 viewsPhildo

England Squad on 15:12 - May 16 by Northernr

Bertrand is unlucky to be playing in an era where there's a lot of good players in that position, Aaron Cresswell the same.

Shelvey can't behave himself, never has been able to, can't resist, so can't have any complaints.

..but if England have a couple of so so results he will be the messiah rather than a very naughty boy- like the time Joe Cole was acclaimed as the new Pele when he was not playing.
England Squad on 15:21 - May 16 with 4571 viewsrsonist

England Squad on 15:12 - May 16 by Northernr

Rose has been awful though. Bertrand deserved the call.

Clearly we're playing five defenders every game - Walker will be CB again.

Would absolutely have given Welbeck's place to Solanke, Lookman, Sancho, Calvert-Lewin etc never mind Austin of course.

Likewise Cahill for Dunk, Mawson, Lascelles.

Gareth's cut deep but still didn't go far enough.
England Squad on 15:24 - May 16 with 4557 viewsTonto

usually around this time of the football calandar, there is a right old hoo ha as the Englnd manager relesaes his squad (remember the time Gzza was left out?)

This time, there is a bit of debate about Shelvey and the 3rd reserve keeper. Whic either suggests Southgate has got it pretty much spot on or no one cares anymore.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

England Squad on 15:26 - May 16 with 4550 viewsNorthernr

England Squad on 15:24 - May 16 by Tonto

usually around this time of the football calandar, there is a right old hoo ha as the Englnd manager relesaes his squad (remember the time Gzza was left out?)

This time, there is a bit of debate about Shelvey and the 3rd reserve keeper. Whic either suggests Southgate has got it pretty much spot on or no one cares anymore.

Or the pool has shrunk to such an extent that there's not much of a choice to make.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024