Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cupski 2018 Thread 18:04 - May 20 with 100873 viewsLblock

I’ve been pretty non plussed about the Copa Mundial this year which is unusual as I’ve always loved it. Perhaps FIFA have contributed to my overall “fcuk it” view to the modern game, I’ve never felt so remote from a tournament Inger-Lund have been in.
Part of me hopes it lives up to the scam it is with Russia being awarded 317 penalties in the group stages, empty stadiums with Escape To Victory dubbed crowd cheering noises all capped off with a plucky squad of kids winning it so rhino nose becomes Sir Gareth

Current questions for those buzzing about it or who simply know:-

1. Any good Apps for iPhone anyone come across? (Preferably free)

2. Can anyone recommend a Fantasy Competition for the tournament? I’ve been asked to run one at work; think the Sun used to do a simple one; no idea if they are as I haven’t bought a newspaper this decade.

3. Any players people recommend sticking in above / hidden jems????

4. What fixtures do we think are ones to make an effort to watch out of the current group stages? May have to organise work schedule and ensure a regular spot in The Leicester Arms on Warwick Street for any midweek afternoon games

5. What nation picks up the Jules Rimet this year for you? I’m thinking probably Germany but the last time they tried to conquer all the Russia issue didn’t work out well for them

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:44 - Jun 25 with 2665 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:13 - Jun 25 by terryb

By choice, certainly not Colombia!

Poland were awful, but some of the movement & passing from Colombia was superb.

I expect the game on Thursday night to be played in a manner to avoid them!

Great performance yesterday, brilliant to score six goals - and lo and behold the media has gone into 'We can win it' overdrive.

Which isn't to say that we can't, just that we have just as good a chance as the other 15 teams that will get to to the second round.

In the end, we beat a poor Panama team. The Belgium game will be a much better barometer of where this England side is, and when you get to the knockout stages then anything can happen. We probably just need that bit of luck that has been mostly lacking since 1990.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:11 - Jun 25 with 2617 viewsFDC

A funny kind of hat-trick for Kane, but seeing him absolutely bury those two penalties was very enjoyable. You'd think that would help dispel some of the voodoo that hangs over these things for England players.

A good result against Belgium and the mania will properly kick in. But do you know what - good. It's what it's all about at the end of the day. I'm whole-heatedly letting myself get swept up in it.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:28 - Jun 25 with 2547 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:19 - Jun 25 with 2470 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Russians losing 0-2 to make the eventual WC victory look a bit more credible.

1-1 in the Tommy Robinson derby.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:48 - Jun 25 with 2441 views2Thomas2Bowles

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:19 - Jun 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Russians losing 0-2 to make the eventual WC victory look a bit more credible.

1-1 in the Tommy Robinson derby.

Uruguay looking a bit good 3-0

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 19:27 - Jun 25 with 2375 viewsjohncharles

Petricio Portuguese keeper has a little lie down. Ronaldo complains and claims something or other.
Iran the better team.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 19:37]

Strong and stable my arse.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 19:48 - Jun 25 with 2365 viewsjohncharles

Queresma scores with the best (?) goal of the tournament so far.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:03 - Jun 25 with 2353 viewsCiderwithRsie

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:44 - Jun 25 by TheChef

Great performance yesterday, brilliant to score six goals - and lo and behold the media has gone into 'We can win it' overdrive.

Which isn't to say that we can't, just that we have just as good a chance as the other 15 teams that will get to to the second round.

In the end, we beat a poor Panama team. The Belgium game will be a much better barometer of where this England side is, and when you get to the knockout stages then anything can happen. We probably just need that bit of luck that has been mostly lacking since 1990.

Don't quarrel with any of that, but a lot of how you feel is about expectations.

All I wanted was an England that didn't embarrass us. OK so far the lads have only beaten the teams seeded below us, but when did we last do that? England are through to the next round in shortest possible time, they've played good football (in parts anyway) and none of the players have acted like dicks; my expectations have been met and I'm duly grateful to Southgate and the players. You can say I've got low expectations but fact is England teams with "better" players have failed to do as much for ages.

I fancy our chances against anyone in Group H and honestly I don't see anyone completely out of our class. I'm just enjoying the ride from now on
Login to get fewer ads

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:07 - Jun 25 with 2348 viewsMedwayR

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 19:48 - Jun 25 by johncharles

Queresma scores with the best (?) goal of the tournament so far.

I think Kane's backheel from the edge of the box beats it 😉

Outside of the boot is Quaresma's speciality:

[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 20:07]

Poll: Who’s better?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:08 - Jun 25 with 2346 viewsCiderwithRsie

Good article here btw:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/25/wayne-rooney-harry-kane-england

Quote: "Since Rooney retired in August last year England have played 12, won nine and drawn three, scoring 22 goals in the process. More to the point the team have looked fluid, mobile in every position, playing to a system not a dominant central personality."

Before that he says it'd be wrong to criticise Rooney; not in my book, he wasn't the only offender but he epitomised the problem and I don't think it's an accident at all that England are better without him.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:20 - Jun 25 with 2333 viewsjohncharles

God almighty shambles. VAR gives Ronaldo a pen for, well, crying. Goalie saves. Almost the same challenge happens at the other end but no VAR.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:33 - Jun 25 with 2324 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

At some point, someone is going to get skanked by a dive / simulation in a knock out game by Portugal.

Inevitable.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:50 - Jun 25 with 2309 viewsjohncharles

Ronaldo gets away with one. I know he hardly touches the guy but it’s obviously deliberate. It should be a Red. All that natural/unnatural movement of the arm.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:53 - Jun 25 with 2303 viewsSnipper

How the hell is that a penalty for Iran?
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:54 - Jun 25 with 2298 viewsCiderwithRsie

Dodgy penalty to Iran scored! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:57 - Jun 25 with 2289 viewsjohncharles

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:53 - Jun 25 by Snipper

How the hell is that a penalty for Iran?

It was their turn to get the dodgy decision.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:03 - Jun 25 with 2273 viewsStanisgod

And there are no British refs out there. F@ck me they must be bad. This lot are clueless.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:05 - Jun 25 with 2183 viewsdaveB

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:03 - Jun 25 by Stanisgod

And there are no British refs out there. F@ck me they must be bad. This lot are clueless.

no british refs due to Clattenberg being the one we put forward but he retired so that left us without one
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:54 - Jun 25 with 2156 viewsLblock

Wow.....

There was always going to be a game where VAR caused absolute chaos and tonight we had it. I’m just gutted that fella missed the chance to put Ronaldo plus 10 other blokes out of the tournament
It would’ve been a hilarious end to the match!!!£

Yet again a most enjoyable game and I think my Muslim neighbour is still in shock that I was roaring the Mullahs home!!!
Caught a bit of the Spain game which looked great too

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:40 - Jun 26 with 2066 viewsterryb

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:05 - Jun 25 by daveB

no british refs due to Clattenberg being the one we put forward but he retired so that left us without one

No English referees because none of them are anywhere near good enough!
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:17 - Jun 26 with 2027 viewsMedwayR

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:40 - Jun 26 by terryb

No English referees because none of them are anywhere near good enough!

Not true, I watched Spain v Morocco last night and the ref was appalling!!

Poll: Who’s better?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:47 - Jun 26 with 2003 viewstraininvain

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 20:50 - Jun 25 by johncharles

Ronaldo gets away with one. I know he hardly touches the guy but it’s obviously deliberate. It should be a Red. All that natural/unnatural movement of the arm.

I think the ref took a look and thought 'not worth the hassle'.

Ronaldo's a lucky boy.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:07 - Jun 26 with 1980 viewsMrSheen

Scotland may have missed out again, but did anyone see the "Glasgow as F***" t-shirt behind the goal as Morocco scored their second against Spain? Everyone will have one in the souk at Casablanca by the end of the summer.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:00 - Jun 26 with 1891 viewsMrSheen

Luongo overlooked again.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:20 - Jun 26 with 1872 viewsFDC

What a lovely goal from Carrillo there. Looks like we may not see Mass at this world cup.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024