Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cupski 2018 Thread 18:04 - May 20 with 101269 viewsLblock

I’ve been pretty non plussed about the Copa Mundial this year which is unusual as I’ve always loved it. Perhaps FIFA have contributed to my overall “fcuk it” view to the modern game, I’ve never felt so remote from a tournament Inger-Lund have been in.
Part of me hopes it lives up to the scam it is with Russia being awarded 317 penalties in the group stages, empty stadiums with Escape To Victory dubbed crowd cheering noises all capped off with a plucky squad of kids winning it so rhino nose becomes Sir Gareth

Current questions for those buzzing about it or who simply know:-

1. Any good Apps for iPhone anyone come across? (Preferably free)

2. Can anyone recommend a Fantasy Competition for the tournament? I’ve been asked to run one at work; think the Sun used to do a simple one; no idea if they are as I haven’t bought a newspaper this decade.

3. Any players people recommend sticking in above / hidden jems????

4. What fixtures do we think are ones to make an effort to watch out of the current group stages? May have to organise work schedule and ensure a regular spot in The Leicester Arms on Warwick Street for any midweek afternoon games

5. What nation picks up the Jules Rimet this year for you? I’m thinking probably Germany but the last time they tried to conquer all the Russia issue didn’t work out well for them

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:29 - Jun 5 with 3797 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:50 - Jun 5 by terryb

Now that looked a possibility Smegma.

That is , until you mentioned Scotland. Although, they did win the World Cup in 1967!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:42 - Jun 5 with 3755 viewsterryb

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:29 - Jun 5 by Mick_S

But they did beat Holland.

Just a shame about Iran & Peru!
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:50 - Jun 5 with 3740 viewssimmo

https://www.trollfootball.me/videos/view/world-cup-2018-squads-number-crunched-b

Interesting, shows that this tournament might be a little too soon for us, but encouraging for the future. Germany stand out as being in their prime here...

[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 11:53]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

World Cupski 2018 Thread (n/t) on 12:04 - Jun 5 with 3721 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:42 - Jun 5 by terryb

But they did beat Holland.

Just a shame about Iran & Peru!

[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 12:04]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:13 - Jun 6 with 3598 viewsToast_R

Went to the Betfair Road to World cup evening last night in the Gillian Lynne Theatre . They had 4 ex-players and two betting experts make their predictions for the tournament in front of a live audience. The consensus was that Germany and Brazil are favourites with Spain not too far behind. Not exactly enlightening.

For the Golden boot award Michael Ballack fancied Reus and Rio Ferdinand and Henrik Larsson reckoned if England played well enough and run some goals past Tunisia and Panama, Harry Kane isn’t a bad shout. 5 or 6 goals will usually win it.

Rio talked about the terrible England camps he endured, the isolation that made the players unhappy and the rivalries between the big clubs, Man Utd v Liverpool v Chelsea etc, none of them could put their club rivalries aside and it really created a hostile atmosphere at times. He also said that after Rivaldo’s equaliser in 2002, the team were out on their feet in the heat and felt utterly deflated at half time looking to Sven to give the players the team talk of a life time to lift them back up again. When asked what Sven actually said, Rio’s response was “We’d have liked him to have said at least something”.
After the match he had to endure a doping test in the same room as Ronaldinho and another Brazillian player. As Ronaldinho didn’t speak any English, Rio asked the other Brazilian guy (I forget who) to ask Ronaldinho if he meant the chip for the second goal. When the other player translated the question to him, they both just started laughing. Rio reckoned that confirmed it was a freak.
He did go on to say that he likes what Southgate is doing, there does not seem to be any rivalries within his squad and many of the players have been away together at junior levels which seems positive and compares to what Spain and Germany have done in the last 12 years with their national sides.

On the topic of player club rivalries, Michel Salgado was asked if that applied to the Spanish squads he was involved in and sure enough, no it didn’t until… Mourinho took over at Real Madrid, then there were one or two incidents but the manager made Casillas and Iniesta sit down to sort it out immediately and it was resolved quickly.

Overall an interesting night.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 9:15]
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 07:48 - Jun 7 with 3496 viewsLblock

So I’ve opted for The Torygraph version of Fantasy Football and picked my team (first draft).

I’ll stick it up here later

I’ve also entered a prediction competition and a breakaway WhatsApp group been set up at work for my Department to sneak out and catch a few afternoon games in a pub local but just far enough away from the office

Appetite well and truly whetted

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:12 - Jun 7 with 3488 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Set up a Superbru Prediction Competition last night. It's simple and can be run on PC, laptop or app.

Looks good.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:03 - Jun 7 with 3453 viewsFDC

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:12 - Jun 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Set up a Superbru Prediction Competition last night. It's simple and can be run on PC, laptop or app.

Looks good.

Yeah I'm on that too, never done one before but seems a decent platform

I've got Australia to beat France, along with only 2% (presumably Australian) of other players.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 11:07]
Login to get fewer ads

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:46 - Jun 7 with 3376 viewsPinnerPaul

The use of VAR is going to be 'interesting'

If there are not at least 2 or 3 major 'controversies' with it's use, I'll be very surprised!
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 07:58 - Jun 8 with 3301 viewsHooparoo

Just looked at the draw to see who we could play if (by some miracle) we made it out of Group C. Argentina, then Spain in the quarters and Germany in the semi. No worries then. Lucky we have Mass 😎

Jose Mourinho reckons we will be second behind France. I think he’s been on the Sangria.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:28 - Jun 8 with 3279 viewsHitch

Germany for me.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:59 - Jun 8 with 3258 viewsngbqpr

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:13 - Jun 6 by Toast_R

Went to the Betfair Road to World cup evening last night in the Gillian Lynne Theatre . They had 4 ex-players and two betting experts make their predictions for the tournament in front of a live audience. The consensus was that Germany and Brazil are favourites with Spain not too far behind. Not exactly enlightening.

For the Golden boot award Michael Ballack fancied Reus and Rio Ferdinand and Henrik Larsson reckoned if England played well enough and run some goals past Tunisia and Panama, Harry Kane isn’t a bad shout. 5 or 6 goals will usually win it.

Rio talked about the terrible England camps he endured, the isolation that made the players unhappy and the rivalries between the big clubs, Man Utd v Liverpool v Chelsea etc, none of them could put their club rivalries aside and it really created a hostile atmosphere at times. He also said that after Rivaldo’s equaliser in 2002, the team were out on their feet in the heat and felt utterly deflated at half time looking to Sven to give the players the team talk of a life time to lift them back up again. When asked what Sven actually said, Rio’s response was “We’d have liked him to have said at least something”.
After the match he had to endure a doping test in the same room as Ronaldinho and another Brazillian player. As Ronaldinho didn’t speak any English, Rio asked the other Brazilian guy (I forget who) to ask Ronaldinho if he meant the chip for the second goal. When the other player translated the question to him, they both just started laughing. Rio reckoned that confirmed it was a freak.
He did go on to say that he likes what Southgate is doing, there does not seem to be any rivalries within his squad and many of the players have been away together at junior levels which seems positive and compares to what Spain and Germany have done in the last 12 years with their national sides.

On the topic of player club rivalries, Michel Salgado was asked if that applied to the Spanish squads he was involved in and sure enough, no it didn’t until… Mourinho took over at Real Madrid, then there were one or two incidents but the manager made Casillas and Iniesta sit down to sort it out immediately and it was resolved quickly.

Overall an interesting night.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 9:15]

Interesting stuff, thanks.

That's what's really hacked me off since Rio / Lampard / Gerrard opened up about the club rivalries in England camps thing. If Barca and Real players could bury the hatchet given that's about as big as club rivalries get, and together create an all conquering team, how pathetic does that make our 'brave lions' look?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:40 - Jun 9 with 3162 viewsHooparoo

France are struggling against the USA. When they are disjointed like this it usually means an unhappy dressing room. Too many massive egos. 😬

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:38 - Jun 9 with 3120 viewsRangersw12

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:40 - Jun 9 by Hooparoo

France are struggling against the USA. When they are disjointed like this it usually means an unhappy dressing room. Too many massive egos. 😬

Spain also struggled against Tunisia
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:12 - Jun 10 with 3054 viewsHooparoo

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:38 - Jun 9 by Rangersw12

Spain also struggled against Tunisia

I can’t believe that Australia is 16-1 to beat France. Obviously France are a great side but football is a funny game where the best team doesn’t always win. Put $50 on it just in case the French fck it up. 😉

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:19 - Jun 13 with 2914 viewsFDC

Er - Spain have just sacked their manager!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/julen-lopetegui-sacked-spain-ma
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 11:20]
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:23 - Jun 13 with 2902 viewsFDC

In other news, I've got to admit that since installing the world cup fixtures app for google calendar I am now giddy as a kipper. Wall to wall competitive international football, bloody love it
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:27 - Jun 13 with 2894 viewsRBlock

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:23 - Jun 13 by FDC

In other news, I've got to admit that since installing the world cup fixtures app for google calendar I am now giddy as a kipper. Wall to wall competitive international football, bloody love it

I'm with you, I've reached absolute fever pitch. Sat at work with 3 Lions and World in Motion on repeat, getting nothing done, listening to every podcast, reading every article, absorbing as much of it as possible.

The Spanish FA are absolutely barmy. Far from ideal timing of the announcement, but just take it on the chin and move forward. Don't sacrifice a World Cup Spain have a decent chance of winning because of pride. Lunacy!
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:29 - Jun 13 with 2881 viewsrsonist

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:19 - Jun 13 by FDC

Er - Spain have just sacked their manager!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/julen-lopetegui-sacked-spain-ma
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 11:20]

Utterly bonkers but to be honest I respect the FA chief for doing it.

Lopetegui, Madrid and of course football's favourite middleman Jorge Mendes have taken the complete mick here. No discussion with the FA, no need to announce it on the eve of the tournament, and he'd only signed an extension a month before.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:32 - Jun 13 with 2870 viewsFDC

When was the last time a team went into the world cup with a caretaker manager?
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:34 - Jun 13 with 2862 viewsSydneyRs

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:12 - Jun 10 by Hooparoo

I can’t believe that Australia is 16-1 to beat France. Obviously France are a great side but football is a funny game where the best team doesn’t always win. Put $50 on it just in case the French fck it up. 😉

Yeah those odds do look generous but I imagine they are based on Australia's dismal qualifying campaign where only the weakness of the Asian comp and coming up against two terrible teams in the playoffs got them through.

Also, most of Australia's squad don't play any higher than championship level.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:35 - Jun 13 with 2861 viewsdaveB

Big Sam for Spain
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:41 - Jun 13 with 2847 viewsFDC

Holloway's been quiet since leaving...
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:54 - Jun 13 with 2801 viewsFDC

North America get WC 2026.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2018/jun/13/world-cup-2026-vote-fifa-n
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:04 - Jun 13 with 2781 viewspaulparker

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:54 - Jun 13 by FDC

North America get WC 2026.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2018/jun/13/world-cup-2026-vote-fifa-n

How the fcuk can mexico get another world cup? that's 3 since we have had since 66
also USA again !!! and why does it need 3 countries if you have to share it then you shouldn't get it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024