Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cupski 2018 Thread 18:04 - May 20 with 99852 viewsLblock

I’ve been pretty non plussed about the Copa Mundial this year which is unusual as I’ve always loved it. Perhaps FIFA have contributed to my overall “fcuk it” view to the modern game, I’ve never felt so remote from a tournament Inger-Lund have been in.
Part of me hopes it lives up to the scam it is with Russia being awarded 317 penalties in the group stages, empty stadiums with Escape To Victory dubbed crowd cheering noises all capped off with a plucky squad of kids winning it so rhino nose becomes Sir Gareth

Current questions for those buzzing about it or who simply know:-

1. Any good Apps for iPhone anyone come across? (Preferably free)

2. Can anyone recommend a Fantasy Competition for the tournament? I’ve been asked to run one at work; think the Sun used to do a simple one; no idea if they are as I haven’t bought a newspaper this decade.

3. Any players people recommend sticking in above / hidden jems????

4. What fixtures do we think are ones to make an effort to watch out of the current group stages? May have to organise work schedule and ensure a regular spot in The Leicester Arms on Warwick Street for any midweek afternoon games

5. What nation picks up the Jules Rimet this year for you? I’m thinking probably Germany but the last time they tried to conquer all the Russia issue didn’t work out well for them

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:04 - Jun 13 with 3468 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:54 - Jun 13 by FDC

North America get WC 2026.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2018/jun/13/world-cup-2026-vote-fifa-n

Fancy that!

Always knew they'd have the winningest bid.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:05 - Jun 13 with 3465 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:04 - Jun 13 by paulparker

How the fcuk can mexico get another world cup? that's 3 since we have had since 66
also USA again !!! and why does it need 3 countries if you have to share it then you shouldn't get it

Doesn't have to build that wall now, does he? Smart man.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 12:31]

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:09 - Jun 13 with 3460 viewsdaveB

Imagine that FBI investigation into FIFA will disappear now
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:29 - Jun 13 with 3413 viewsrunningman75

Countries should not be able to host a world cup when they call the sport soccer.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:33 - Jun 13 with 3402 viewsmakaveli1882

Can't wait for 2026 I will be there!

Looking forward to my 7:00am flight friday too
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:46 - Jun 13 with 3388 viewsHooparoo

Can we all stay at Boston’s place? 😎

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:03 - Jun 13 with 3353 viewsMedwayR

It seems that it was all hush hush with Real Madrid appointing Lopetegui until club captain Sergio Ramos was told, he then told some of the players in the Spain squad who didn't appreciate their manager talking to RM and being distracted from the World Cup and asked Fernando Hierro (Spanish FA technical director or something similar to what Dan Ashworth does at our FA) what was going on. Hierro didn't know what they were talking about so asked the Spanish FA, who also didn't know what they were talking about. So the Spanish FA asked RM who then announced it to stop rumours circulating and being a distraction for Spain/Lopetegui. Understandably, the Spanish FA were not happy with any of this so sacked him.

No one comes out of this well, certainly not RM making themsleves popular with what is surely an illegal approach for the national team manager on the eve of a WC, Ramos opening his mouth and creating divisions within the squad or Lopetegui going behind his employers backs.

As for the Spanish FA, surely they would've been better off to keep him in place for the WC...unless the players demanded he go.

Poll: Who’s better?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:10 - Jun 13 with 3347 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:03 - Jun 13 by MedwayR

It seems that it was all hush hush with Real Madrid appointing Lopetegui until club captain Sergio Ramos was told, he then told some of the players in the Spain squad who didn't appreciate their manager talking to RM and being distracted from the World Cup and asked Fernando Hierro (Spanish FA technical director or something similar to what Dan Ashworth does at our FA) what was going on. Hierro didn't know what they were talking about so asked the Spanish FA, who also didn't know what they were talking about. So the Spanish FA asked RM who then announced it to stop rumours circulating and being a distraction for Spain/Lopetegui. Understandably, the Spanish FA were not happy with any of this so sacked him.

No one comes out of this well, certainly not RM making themsleves popular with what is surely an illegal approach for the national team manager on the eve of a WC, Ramos opening his mouth and creating divisions within the squad or Lopetegui going behind his employers backs.

As for the Spanish FA, surely they would've been better off to keep him in place for the WC...unless the players demanded he go.

SPAIN TO WIN!!!!!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:12 - Jun 13 with 3334 viewsFDC

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:10 - Jun 13 by TheChef

SPAIN TO WIN!!!!!

Ha, yep - the headlines write themselves.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:49 - Jun 13 with 3269 viewspaulparker

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:03 - Jun 13 by MedwayR

The Spanish committing harikari in a way the English media & FA can only admire.

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:55 - Jun 13 with 3254 viewsrsonist

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate. https://elpais.com/deportes/2018/06/12/mundial_futbol/1528833928_067989.html&xid

Good - and somewhat appalling - read re Mendes' involvement and the behind the scenes machinations. (Google translated so some wonky English).

The timing of Madrid's announcement was baffling and completely unnecessary. Starting to wonder if it wasn't designed purely to prime the field for the transfer window during and after the tournament.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 14:03 - Jun 13 with 3236 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:55 - Jun 13 by rsonist

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate. https://elpais.com/deportes/2018/06/12/mundial_futbol/1528833928_067989.html&xid

Good - and somewhat appalling - read re Mendes' involvement and the behind the scenes machinations. (Google translated so some wonky English).

The timing of Madrid's announcement was baffling and completely unnecessary. Starting to wonder if it wasn't designed purely to prime the field for the transfer window during and after the tournament.

I heart Google translate.

The ad causes stupor in a template with symptoms of division.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 14:50 - Jun 13 with 3178 viewsBoston

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:46 - Jun 13 by Hooparoo

Can we all stay at Boston’s place? 😎

What makes you think we’re letting you in the country?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 18:58 - Jun 13 with 3120 viewsLblock

Looking forward to the “big kick off” tomorrow..... hardly an aspiring opening match and I dare say the ref has had his instructions

Gutted to have had a family thing thrown at me Friday night but they come first
Saturday looks a great day, four matches back to back and, of course, Luongo grabbing the whole thing by its balls and ripping it up

C’mon England!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:27 - Jun 13 with 3063 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Giddy in my pants now!!!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:31 - Jun 13 with 3058 viewskensalriser

Great first game - like a proxy for Chelsea v ISIS.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:20 - Jun 13 with 3036 viewsMrSheen

I’ve just realised I’ll be driving across Ireland the day of the final. We’ll be crossing County Limerick when it kicks off. Anyone got any pub recommendations for Rathkeale if England are playing?
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:33 - Jun 13 with 3026 viewsBrianMcCarthy

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:20 - Jun 13 by MrSheen

I’ve just realised I’ll be driving across Ireland the day of the final. We’ll be crossing County Limerick when it kicks off. Anyone got any pub recommendations for Rathkeale if England are playing?

Ya, don't stop in any of them!

What route are you travelling? "Corner" Collins' pub in Adare is quiet but very well run. Lovely owners. That's the only pub in Adare I'd recommend. And possibly the only pub in that part of Co. Limerick. I'm sure there are other sound pubs but it's strange territory and I used to know it very well.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 22:37]

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 06:46 - Jun 14 with 2937 viewsMrSheen

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:33 - Jun 13 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, don't stop in any of them!

What route are you travelling? "Corner" Collins' pub in Adare is quiet but very well run. Lovely owners. That's the only pub in Adare I'd recommend. And possibly the only pub in that part of Co. Limerick. I'm sure there are other sound pubs but it's strange territory and I used to know it very well.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 22:37]

Dublin to Limerick, then N21 to Castleisland and on to the Iveragh. We usually break in Adare. Never had the nerve to look around Rathkeale!
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:26 - Jun 14 with 2876 viewsToast_R

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p069jltw

This is quite an interesting listen, Rob Green talking about the 2010 World Cup and the England training camp under Capello amongst other things.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:32 - Jun 14 with 2868 viewsHooparoo

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:26 - Jun 14 by Toast_R

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p069jltw

This is quite an interesting listen, Rob Green talking about the 2010 World Cup and the England training camp under Capello amongst other things.

I think England could do well this time. This is the most open World Cup for a while with about 7 or 8 contenders including England. Good luck Poms! 😃⚽️

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:52 - Jun 14 with 2851 viewsBrianMcCarthy

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 06:46 - Jun 14 by MrSheen

Dublin to Limerick, then N21 to Castleisland and on to the Iveragh. We usually break in Adare. Never had the nerve to look around Rathkeale!

Don't blame you, it's wild over there. Used to stay in Adare for work and still have many friends there. It's safe but a bit odd. Twenty years ago it had the last remnants of IRA sympathy running through a couple of local families, as had Patrickswell and Rathkeale more so. But I would hope that all that is gone, so much has changed in the last twenty years. Still, if you want to watch the England match, Corner Collins might be the answer.

Or the Woodlands House Hotel?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:28 - Jun 14 with 2764 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wish this lad would get off the fence!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-44480646
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:40 - Jun 14 with 2737 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Having a few red wines tonight before the World Cup
missing home and watched a few videos which brought back loads of memories

Love the 1990 World Cup

I remember being so proud of Paul Parker
Sir Bobby Robson was a great manager
Gazza a talent that never fulfilled his potential

I hope Massimo Luongo has a great tournament for Australia - he's magic you know...
I hope England play well and surprise the world and us too :)
You R's
[Post edited 14 Jun 2018 13:45]
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:40 - Jun 14 with 2680 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Oh Jesus, I'd forgotten about the horror of The Opening Ceremony.

Robbie Williams is the bizarre choice to bash out a few choons. No solidary with LGBT then, Robbie? How many rubles? I see.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024