Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cupski 2018 Thread 18:04 - May 20 with 101267 viewsLblock

I’ve been pretty non plussed about the Copa Mundial this year which is unusual as I’ve always loved it. Perhaps FIFA have contributed to my overall “fcuk it” view to the modern game, I’ve never felt so remote from a tournament Inger-Lund have been in.
Part of me hopes it lives up to the scam it is with Russia being awarded 317 penalties in the group stages, empty stadiums with Escape To Victory dubbed crowd cheering noises all capped off with a plucky squad of kids winning it so rhino nose becomes Sir Gareth

Current questions for those buzzing about it or who simply know:-

1. Any good Apps for iPhone anyone come across? (Preferably free)

2. Can anyone recommend a Fantasy Competition for the tournament? I’ve been asked to run one at work; think the Sun used to do a simple one; no idea if they are as I haven’t bought a newspaper this decade.

3. Any players people recommend sticking in above / hidden jems????

4. What fixtures do we think are ones to make an effort to watch out of the current group stages? May have to organise work schedule and ensure a regular spot in The Leicester Arms on Warwick Street for any midweek afternoon games

5. What nation picks up the Jules Rimet this year for you? I’m thinking probably Germany but the last time they tried to conquer all the Russia issue didn’t work out well for them

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:20 - Jun 14 with 2403 viewskensalriser

Probably not that mad in the grand scheme of mad things that people say and do in the name of religion.

I liked this quote:
“Maybe science will make some progress and we’ll come up with new ways for high-level athletes to observe Ramadan without that question arising too often.”

If science hasn't already persuaded you that religion is nonsense I wouldn't hold out too much hope that it's going to help you with something else!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 01:26 - Jun 15 with 2305 viewsSydneyRs

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:57 - Jun 14 by aston_hoop

Saudi were dreadful. It was clear the Russians were well up for it obviously but Saudi were just awful. Now if only we can do that to Tunisia who must be similarly bad right??

This is what gets me about Australia being there. They failed to make it through their Asian qualifying group, finishing behind the dreadful Saudis. They then get to play Syria and Honduras, two of the worst sides I have ever seen, in the playoffs to qualify. While the current qualifying format exists Australia basically has a free ride to qualification while much better sides around the world miss out.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 03:21 - Jun 15 with 2287 viewsHooparoo

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 01:26 - Jun 15 by SydneyRs

This is what gets me about Australia being there. They failed to make it through their Asian qualifying group, finishing behind the dreadful Saudis. They then get to play Syria and Honduras, two of the worst sides I have ever seen, in the playoffs to qualify. While the current qualifying format exists Australia basically has a free ride to qualification while much better sides around the world miss out.

Shouldn’t that make you happy if you’re living in Australia?

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 04:34 - Jun 15 with 2281 viewsKiwi76

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 01:26 - Jun 15 by SydneyRs

vs New Zealand who get a relatively easy Oceania group and then suddenly take on the 5th best in Sth America - this time it was Peru and previously Mexico - too big a gulf in class.
Unbeaten in Sth African WC!
How did the US not make it from their group
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:13 - Jun 15 with 2239 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 18:10 - Jun 14 by terryb

i think that being the highest ranked African nation might sugest that Tunisia may be a little better than Saudi Arabia!

Difference is that Tunisia can defend and are a bit more physically robust.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:27 - Jun 15 with 2230 viewspaulparker

Good to see that lasts nights game wasn't fixed or anything

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:43 - Jun 15 with 2210 viewspaulparker

Also how have we gone from Brian Clough, Wor Jackie Carlton , Malcolm Allison and the Guvnor Brian Moore as World cup pundits to Jackie Oatley , that awful aluko woman & captain charisma himself Mince head Giggs , Ive never seen such a dull line up in all my life

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:45 - Jun 15 with 2210 viewsjohncharles

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:27 - Jun 15 by paulparker

It wasn’t any good that’s for sure.

Strong and stable my arse.

Login to get fewer ads

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:51 - Jun 15 with 2204 viewsDiscodroids

The ITV Panel of commentariat Circumnavigating everything from the EU, Brexit and Ref's wearing shorts in the VAR room gave me a dull ache in the left bollock.

I for one hanker for the days of Brian Moore in a green Brentford Nylon olive suit talking about Roberto Bettega's cultured left foot and the muscularity of johan Neeskens upper case deltoids to a hungover Big Malcolm Allison stinking of last nights Krug and Mary Millingtons pilchard gape after a night on the piss at the scotch of st james private members Club with The Who and their support act, Johns children.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:04 - Jun 15 with 2192 viewspaulparker

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:51 - Jun 15 by Discodroids

The ITV Panel of commentariat Circumnavigating everything from the EU, Brexit and Ref's wearing shorts in the VAR room gave me a dull ache in the left bollock.

I for one hanker for the days of Brian Moore in a green Brentford Nylon olive suit talking about Roberto Bettega's cultured left foot and the muscularity of johan Neeskens upper case deltoids to a hungover Big Malcolm Allison stinking of last nights Krug and Mary Millingtons pilchard gape after a night on the piss at the scotch of st james private members Club with The Who and their support act, Johns children.

This all day long DD

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:53 - Jun 15 with 2153 viewsterryb

Those of us of a certain age will never forget the introduction of the World Cup panel by ITV for Mexico'70. Even if our memories struggle to remember who was on the panel! Allison, Dougan, Crerand & McNab?

It was unexpected & brilliant to watch, with the right balance of analysis & humour. Mr. Moore was superb in the chair, but the downside was that we had to put up with Huw Johns as match commentator!

The arrival of The BIg Match on LWT elevated football broadcasting to new highs. The previous Thames(?) production with Peter Lorenzo was so mundane, as was MOTD!
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:58 - Jun 15 with 2144 viewsDiscodroids

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:53 - Jun 15 by terryb

Those of us of a certain age will never forget the introduction of the World Cup panel by ITV for Mexico'70. Even if our memories struggle to remember who was on the panel! Allison, Dougan, Crerand & McNab?

It was unexpected & brilliant to watch, with the right balance of analysis & humour. Mr. Moore was superb in the chair, but the downside was that we had to put up with Huw Johns as match commentator!

The arrival of The BIg Match on LWT elevated football broadcasting to new highs. The previous Thames(?) production with Peter Lorenzo was so mundane, as was MOTD!

some of the fallout from the 1970 world cup. beautiful.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:59 - Jun 15 with 2143 viewsMick_S

Felix just makes it out the shower for the Panini photographer.

[Post edited 15 Jun 2018 10:03]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:00 - Jun 15 with 2137 viewsAshdown_Ranger

5-0 to the Russkis.

At home.

With the world watching.

And Putin in the stands.

That lot haven't won in absolute yonks - let alone by 5 goals.

Must have been the threat of a Novochok cocktail, the promise of a 10 year holiday in Siberia or a brown envelope slipped to the ref - or a combination of all three...
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:08 - Jun 15 with 2126 viewsRs_Holy

its obvious the draw was fixed and now its obvious this match was fixed ... It reminded me of our 6-0 game against Palace when we needed to win to stay up... Not Good!
[Post edited 15 Jun 2018 10:10]
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:10 - Jun 15 with 2121 viewsDiscodroids

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:59 - Jun 15 by Mick_S

Felix just makes it out the shower for the Panini photographer.

[Post edited 15 Jun 2018 10:03]

Felix buys his gear from the same outlet as the archetypal English Cad, Archie Glover from
'only when i laugh'.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:53 - Jun 15 with 2062 viewsTheChef

I have to say looking at the goals again, I know Saudi are not a brilliant football team but it didn't look like they were trying too hard yesterday.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:04 - Jun 15 with 2047 viewspaulparker

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:53 - Jun 15 by TheChef

I have to say looking at the goals again, I know Saudi are not a brilliant football team but it didn't look like they were trying too hard yesterday.

The last Goal the keeper jumped over the ball

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:07 - Jun 15 with 2040 viewsFDC

I think the Saudis are just really quite shit to be honest.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:23 - Jun 15 with 2009 viewsRs_Holy

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:07 - Jun 15 by FDC

I think the Saudis are just really quite shit to be honest.

.... almost as bad as Russia (according to the rankings).

I'm going to predict a much better result against Egypt for those plucky Saudi's.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2018 12:24]
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:24 - Jun 15 with 2006 viewsLythamR

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:00 - Jun 15 by Ashdown_Ranger

5-0 to the Russkis.

At home.

With the world watching.

And Putin in the stands.

That lot haven't won in absolute yonks - let alone by 5 goals.

Must have been the threat of a Novochok cocktail, the promise of a 10 year holiday in Siberia or a brown envelope slipped to the ref - or a combination of all three...

Despite all the conspiracy theories I think its most likely that Russia were fired up and not as bad as recent form has suggested although a long way from the days og Belenov and Vasily Rats

combined with the fact that Saudi Arabia are shocking and froze on the big occasion

its entirely possible that Putin wasnt involved apart from a pre match pep talk
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:30 - Jun 15 with 1994 viewsLythamR

its comforting to know that there are others out there that carry similar warped memories around in their heads. and delightful that we have someone able to nudge them to the surface in a post like this. really made me laugh :)
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:02 - Jun 15 with 1963 viewshopphoops

The great thing about the 1970s is that people who are now in their 80s already looked 65 then.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:17 - Jun 15 with 1954 viewsFDC

Stadium is half empty for Egypt - Uruguay
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:18 - Jun 15 with 1950 viewsFDC

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:23 - Jun 15 by Rs_Holy

.... almost as bad as Russia (according to the rankings).

I'm going to predict a much better result against Egypt for those plucky Saudi's.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2018 12:24]

As Internet's Razor demands: we should accept the most entertaining possible theoretical explanation for existing data

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024