Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cupski 2018 Thread 18:04 - May 20 with 100864 viewsLblock

I’ve been pretty non plussed about the Copa Mundial this year which is unusual as I’ve always loved it. Perhaps FIFA have contributed to my overall “fcuk it” view to the modern game, I’ve never felt so remote from a tournament Inger-Lund have been in.
Part of me hopes it lives up to the scam it is with Russia being awarded 317 penalties in the group stages, empty stadiums with Escape To Victory dubbed crowd cheering noises all capped off with a plucky squad of kids winning it so rhino nose becomes Sir Gareth

Current questions for those buzzing about it or who simply know:-

1. Any good Apps for iPhone anyone come across? (Preferably free)

2. Can anyone recommend a Fantasy Competition for the tournament? I’ve been asked to run one at work; think the Sun used to do a simple one; no idea if they are as I haven’t bought a newspaper this decade.

3. Any players people recommend sticking in above / hidden jems????

4. What fixtures do we think are ones to make an effort to watch out of the current group stages? May have to organise work schedule and ensure a regular spot in The Leicester Arms on Warwick Street for any midweek afternoon games

5. What nation picks up the Jules Rimet this year for you? I’m thinking probably Germany but the last time they tried to conquer all the Russia issue didn’t work out well for them

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:37 - Jun 15 with 2150 viewsvanrrrr

A Few of the Egypt players, look decent. Fatih at right back and wee man Hamed in midfield especially. Trezeguet up front just for the name.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:45 - Jun 15 with 2125 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:37 - Jun 15 by vanrrrr

A Few of the Egypt players, look decent. Fatih at right back and wee man Hamed in midfield especially. Trezeguet up front just for the name.

Is Fatih the new Isla??

Always thought our defensive options were a bit slim.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:47 - Jun 15 with 2119 viewsMrSheen

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:59 - Jun 15 by Mick_S

Felix just makes it out the shower for the Panini photographer.

[Post edited 15 Jun 2018 10:03]

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:56 - Jun 15 with 2088 viewsFDC

Awkward chemistry in the BBC studio. P Neville is an absolute weapon.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:58 - Jun 15 with 2076 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Interesting take on the state of Australian sport and interview with Massa in the Independent:

When Australia play France in Kazan on Saturday they are playing for far more than just three points and a shot at the last 16.

They are playing for national pride. Public trust. The global reputation of Australian sport.

Half-way through 2018, this is something that needs to be rebuilt. When Cameron Bancroft eroded the surface of a cricket ball with a piece of sandpaper in Cape Town on 24 March, he also eroded one of the pillars of the Australian ethos and national self-definition: playing fair. That is why captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner have been banned from the team for a year and Bancroft for nine months, and why coach Darren Lehmann lost his job too.

That puts a responsibility on the football team this summer, and it also creates an opening. Bert van Marwijk’s side have to play fair, to stay on the right side of the line, to rebuild that reputation at home and abroad. But doing so gives this team a rare chance to win the hearts of the Australian public, for whom soccer lags far behind AFL and rugby league most of the time.

Big stakes, but Massimo Luongo is relishing it. Speaking to The Independent at the Queens Park Rangers training ground at the end of another impressive Championship season, Luongo wants to show the world that Australian sport is still true to the ethos it claims for itself.

“Not just Australian people, but the way people look at Australian sport,” Luongo says. “Everyone is joking when they see me, ‘you’re a bunch of cheats’. I think if we do something special in the World Cup, it automatically erases that. Big news, new news, always puts other [stories] in the shadow.”

Luongo brings up the case of Nick Kyrgios, the brilliant Australian tennis player who has been scorned for unashamedly giving up matches he felt he was going to lose. That was an affront to Australian sporting values too.

“That’s why it’s such big news,” Luongo says. “We had the Kyrgios situation when he let the game go, it was everywhere. The culture of Australians with sport has always been to play fair. We’ve always been a sporting culture where we just give it our all. When that happened, the cricket thing, everyone was saying ‘it’s not the Australian way’. That’s why it got blown up so much.”

This is where the football team comes in. “We are naturally a side that carries the name ‘Australia’ in a good way,” Luongo says. “The Australian public will be following us a bit more now, just to get the good name back.”

That's about a third of the article - more on the Independent website - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/world-cup-2018-australia-
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 14:06 - Jun 15 with 2059 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:56 - Jun 15 by FDC

Excellent challenge by the boy Neville on Ronaldodo - he actually put backspin on the pretty boy. A rare talent.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:01 - Jun 15 with 1978 viewsBoston

Only caught the last five minutes of the Egypt v Uruguay game...fortunately.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:03 - Jun 15 with 1972 viewsNorthernr

Interesting that we've just had it on in the office with no sound and I thought Uruguay were quite decent, could have scored four on another day, but apparently the commentators were hammering them.
Login to get fewer ads

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:13 - Jun 15 with 1940 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:56 - Jun 15 by FDC

Is that pundit line-up the best the BBC can do given all our licence fee money?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:14 - Jun 15 with 1938 viewsFDC

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:03 - Jun 15 by Northernr

Interesting that we've just had it on in the office with no sound and I thought Uruguay were quite decent, could have scored four on another day, but apparently the commentators were hammering them.

Only saw the first half but I thought similarly -- not a great performance up front but wouldn't be surprised to see them put a few past someone on another day.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:22 - Jun 15 with 1923 viewsBrianMcCarthy

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:10 - Jun 15 by Discodroids

Felix buys his gear from the same outlet as the archetypal English Cad, Archie Glover from
'only when i laugh'.

I have no idea how your mind works, DD, or how you think of these things.

I'm just glad that you do!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:26 - Jun 15 with 1911 viewsBrianMcCarthy

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:03 - Jun 15 by Northernr

I thought that Uruguay were excellent defensively, solid in midfield and created plenty chances. Only two things were missing: finishing (Suarez missed three chances and Cavani hit the woodwork) and - which could be what costs them ultimately - the lack of a creative attacking midfielder.

I agree with you. Thought they were decent and on most days that game would have ended 2-0 or 3-0.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:23 - Jun 15 with 1861 viewsDannyPaddox

I hope the Muslim world doesn't take it as an insult that the 'expert' chosen to analyse Morocco v Iran is Iain Dowie.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:33 - Jun 15 with 1851 viewsdaveB

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:13 - Jun 15 by TheChef

Is that pundit line-up the best the BBC can do given all our licence fee money?

They have loads of pundits as ever, nice jolly up for the BBC, they must have more reporters, pundits, presenters etc than anyone else
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:59 - Jun 15 with 1832 viewsozranger

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:26 - Jun 15 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought that Uruguay were excellent defensively, solid in midfield and created plenty chances. Only two things were missing: finishing (Suarez missed three chances and Cavani hit the woodwork) and - which could be what costs them ultimately - the lack of a creative attacking midfielder.

I agree with you. Thought they were decent and on most days that game would have ended 2-0 or 3-0.

Yes, Uruguay deserved to win, but one does feel somewhat a bit sorry for Egypt who, with Mo, on this day, could have won. They don't have anyone else up front and it is plain to see how much they rely on him. I think Uruguay will win this group and move forward a fair way. They have the advantage of being in Group A, something many do not consider and why England are at a bit of a disadvantage. Why, because teams in the early groups get the longer breaks when it comes to the knockouts.

Suarez will wake up and play a lot better in the remaining two games and I would not be surprised that they do not put more five past the Saudis. I'd still pick Egypt to go through with a win next up against Russia. That is, if Salah is playing.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:06 - Jun 15 with 1827 viewsozranger

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 13:58 - Jun 15 by Ashdown_Ranger

Interesting take on the state of Australian sport and interview with Massa in the Independent:

When Australia play France in Kazan on Saturday they are playing for far more than just three points and a shot at the last 16.

They are playing for national pride. Public trust. The global reputation of Australian sport.

Half-way through 2018, this is something that needs to be rebuilt. When Cameron Bancroft eroded the surface of a cricket ball with a piece of sandpaper in Cape Town on 24 March, he also eroded one of the pillars of the Australian ethos and national self-definition: playing fair. That is why captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner have been banned from the team for a year and Bancroft for nine months, and why coach Darren Lehmann lost his job too.

That puts a responsibility on the football team this summer, and it also creates an opening. Bert van Marwijk’s side have to play fair, to stay on the right side of the line, to rebuild that reputation at home and abroad. But doing so gives this team a rare chance to win the hearts of the Australian public, for whom soccer lags far behind AFL and rugby league most of the time.

Big stakes, but Massimo Luongo is relishing it. Speaking to The Independent at the Queens Park Rangers training ground at the end of another impressive Championship season, Luongo wants to show the world that Australian sport is still true to the ethos it claims for itself.

“Not just Australian people, but the way people look at Australian sport,” Luongo says. “Everyone is joking when they see me, ‘you’re a bunch of cheats’. I think if we do something special in the World Cup, it automatically erases that. Big news, new news, always puts other [stories] in the shadow.”

Luongo brings up the case of Nick Kyrgios, the brilliant Australian tennis player who has been scorned for unashamedly giving up matches he felt he was going to lose. That was an affront to Australian sporting values too.

“That’s why it’s such big news,” Luongo says. “We had the Kyrgios situation when he let the game go, it was everywhere. The culture of Australians with sport has always been to play fair. We’ve always been a sporting culture where we just give it our all. When that happened, the cricket thing, everyone was saying ‘it’s not the Australian way’. That’s why it got blown up so much.”

This is where the football team comes in. “We are naturally a side that carries the name ‘Australia’ in a good way,” Luongo says. “The Australian public will be following us a bit more now, just to get the good name back.”

That's about a third of the article - more on the Independent website - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/world-cup-2018-australia-

Luongo has also been picked in the defensive midfield role in place of the current captain, Aston Villa's Mile Jedinak. So, obviously he has been playing quite well in the two lead up games as well as training and he's been recognised by the scouts of how good he was this past season. Will be interesting to watch. I note that the game is on at the same time as the 2nd rugby test - Oz v Ireland. I'll try to watch both!
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:11 - Jun 15 with 1819 viewsMrSheen

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:59 - Jun 15 by ozranger

Yes, Uruguay deserved to win, but one does feel somewhat a bit sorry for Egypt who, with Mo, on this day, could have won. They don't have anyone else up front and it is plain to see how much they rely on him. I think Uruguay will win this group and move forward a fair way. They have the advantage of being in Group A, something many do not consider and why England are at a bit of a disadvantage. Why, because teams in the early groups get the longer breaks when it comes to the knockouts.

Suarez will wake up and play a lot better in the remaining two games and I would not be surprised that they do not put more five past the Saudis. I'd still pick Egypt to go through with a win next up against Russia. That is, if Salah is playing.

Keegan '82...daren't admit to the nation that he isn't fit. Hoping to get him on for the last ten minutes to miss a couple of chances on the way out.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:31 - Jun 15 with 1797 viewsToast_R

In another universe, Adel Taarabt would be taking Morrocco through this group single handedly. What a plank that boy is.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:32 - Jun 15 with 1796 viewsNorthernr

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:31 - Jun 15 by Toast_R

In another universe, Adel Taarabt would be taking Morrocco through this group single handedly. What a plank that boy is.

This game is absolutely gagging for him.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:39 - Jun 15 with 1780 viewsRs_Holy

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:32 - Jun 15 by Northernr

This game is absolutely gagging for him.

I was just thinking exactly the same thing.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:51 - Jun 15 with 1760 viewsLblock

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:39 - Jun 15 by Rs_Holy

I was just thinking exactly the same thing.

I’m watching it thinking how sad it is that you know who isn’t ripping it up

Is he sitting somewhere now that it’s regrets or resolve for what’s left of his career?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:55 - Jun 15 with 1757 viewsDannyPaddox

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:23 - Jun 15 by DannyPaddox

I hope the Muslim world doesn't take it as an insult that the 'expert' chosen to analyse Morocco v Iran is Iain Dowie.

OMFG I was not aware of this image when I wrote the previous.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 18:02 - Jun 15 with 1750 viewshubble

Iran v Morocco best game so far I think. Great to see Iran get their first win since 1998.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 18:07 - Jun 15 with 1744 viewshopphoops

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 17:55 - Jun 15 by DannyPaddox

OMFG I was not aware of this image when I wrote the previous.

Papa was right to disown him

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 18:41 - Jun 15 with 1720 viewsDannyPaddox

Well done Iran. Three days before first game Trump-led sanctions meant Nike told them they could no longer supply them with their boots. Adidas then came to the rescue with some pimped up Copa Mundials.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024