Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish Referendum 10:37 - May 25 with 7442 viewsisawqpratwcity

I hope they continue their move to a liberal society.

"Limiting Irish women is a bad idea. If you have any interaction with Irish women you will know this."
[Post edited 25 May 2018 10:48]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Irish Referendum on 00:53 - May 26 with 2351 viewsnix

Irish Referendum on 23:04 - May 25 by MrSheen

Even if you accept that 24 week cut-off, 226 older foetuses were aborted in the UK in 2016. That’s obviously a tiny fraction of all abortions, but a large absolute number.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

The youngest ever surviving premature baby was born at 21 weeks. Over 1,500 older foetuses were aborted in the UK in 2016.

And how many of those were even viable for life? Some foetuses with severe deformaties incompatible with life are not diagnosed until very late in pregnancy. You would really want to force a woman to continue with that pregnancy only to have the baby die a short time after birth?

And what about cases of incest and rape. Often very young women (and even girls) are in denial until later in their pregnancy and you would make them give birth?

I’m not sure if you aware how many women died or were made infertile by backstreet abortions before the legislation was enacted.

As Bazzain said babies before 12 weeks are not viable human beings, they have the potential for life in the same way as the unfertilised egg the woman sheds every month has the potential for life but they are not alive. Many foetuses are lost without the woman even being aware she was pregnant. The vast number of abortions are carried out within that period.

No woman wants to have an abortion. No woman thinks it’s a good thing. But sometimes that is the best and the most humane thing. I feel for those poor women forced to travel to England to have an abortion.

We cannot find decent families for all the children who need to be fostered or adopted today. Why would we want to increase the number of unwanted children?

I certainly wouldn’t want to align myself with all those controlling, judgemental religious nuts who think they should tell women how to live their lives.
Irish Referendum on 00:59 - May 26 with 2347 viewsBoston

Do the taxpayers of countries that are encouraging more people to come from abroad and join their workforce have to pay for the future reduction in home grown labour?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Irish Referendum on 00:59 - May 26 with 2343 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Irish Referendum on 00:53 - May 26 by nix

And how many of those were even viable for life? Some foetuses with severe deformaties incompatible with life are not diagnosed until very late in pregnancy. You would really want to force a woman to continue with that pregnancy only to have the baby die a short time after birth?

And what about cases of incest and rape. Often very young women (and even girls) are in denial until later in their pregnancy and you would make them give birth?

I’m not sure if you aware how many women died or were made infertile by backstreet abortions before the legislation was enacted.

As Bazzain said babies before 12 weeks are not viable human beings, they have the potential for life in the same way as the unfertilised egg the woman sheds every month has the potential for life but they are not alive. Many foetuses are lost without the woman even being aware she was pregnant. The vast number of abortions are carried out within that period.

No woman wants to have an abortion. No woman thinks it’s a good thing. But sometimes that is the best and the most humane thing. I feel for those poor women forced to travel to England to have an abortion.

We cannot find decent families for all the children who need to be fostered or adopted today. Why would we want to increase the number of unwanted children?

I certainly wouldn’t want to align myself with all those controlling, judgemental religious nuts who think they should tell women how to live their lives.

Until Nix waded in it never occurred to me that this argument on LfW so far was probably taking place between middle aged men (including myself).
[Post edited 26 May 2018 1:21]
Irish Referendum on 01:02 - May 26 with 2341 viewsBoston

Irish Referendum on 00:59 - May 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

Until Nix waded in it never occurred to me that this argument on LfW so far was probably taking place between middle aged men (including myself).

Are you a test tube Baz?

Irish Referendum on 01:20 - May 26 with 2323 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Irish Referendum on 01:02 - May 26 by Boston

Are you a test tube Baz?

Mate, you are odd.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 1:23]
Irish Referendum on 01:22 - May 26 with 2321 viewsisawqpratwcity

Irish Referendum on 00:53 - May 26 by nix

This is a similar argument put forward by a commentator on a program here, that in the anti-abortion argument, it becomes the case that when a woman becomes pregnant, her rights beyond absolute survival become subordinate to the right to life of the foetus. Her body and her life become the vehicle for the primary use of the foetus until delivery. That is a very heavy imposition for a government to make.

Irish Referendum on 08:38 - May 26 with 2221 viewsCiderwithRsie

Irish Referendum on 00:59 - May 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

This. (Except no-one should need Nix to make that obvious just by existing)

Also between people who (mainly) aren't even Irish.
Irish Referendum on 09:12 - May 26 with 2203 viewsMyke

Landslide victory for 'Yes' according to exit polls. Lots of comments on here, some accurate some not so much. Essentially Ireland is in a very different place to where it was in 1983. The influence (indeed relevance) of the Catholic Church is diminishing rapidly. Social Media is the new religion (God help us!)
Login to get fewer ads

Irish Referendum on 10:47 - May 26 with 2146 viewsahoz

Irish Referendum on 23:57 - May 25 by SimonJames

Perhaps if contraception was a more widely used there would be less need for abortion.

To one of the earlier posters, God very much does exist, countless millions have experienced Him in their lives, and a person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however, mine is that abortion is wrong.
Irish Referendum on 11:06 - May 26 with 2128 viewsjohann28

Irish Referendum on 10:47 - May 26 by ahoz

To one of the earlier posters, God very much does exist, countless millions have experienced Him in their lives, and a person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument.

I'm afraid as you must concede, society is now made up of an awful lot of atheists and agnostics as well as believers, so surely our public policy you should reflect this? As far as Ireland is concerned, people that want an abortion can now have one without having to travel abroad, and those that don't believe it's ethical don't have to. In my view this is progress.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 11:25]
Irish Referendum on 11:48 - May 26 with 2091 viewskensalriser

God's male, then?

I suppose this explains why people who believe in him think they own women's bodies.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Irish Referendum on 12:13 - May 26 with 2054 views2Thomas2Bowles

If a God exists, they are one evil bastard as countless millions have suffered in their lives because of Him/Her
[Post edited 26 May 2018 12:17]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Irish Referendum on 12:14 - May 26 with 2052 viewsBoston

Irish Referendum on 11:48 - May 26 by kensalriser

God's male, then?

I suppose this explains why people who believe in him think they own women's bodies.

I believe the prevailing thought is they’re saving babies lives, where people believe life begins is the major point of debate.

Irish Referendum on 12:26 - May 26 with 2038 viewsSimonJames

God doesn't exist.
And "my opinion" is that every parent and society who has allowed children and impressionable people to be indoctrinated into following their particular version of a faith is guilty of making up their minds for them.
And recruiting them young is the main way religions perpetuate themselves.
Thankfully most religions are now in decline. Because rational people realise they have to rely on their own efforts rather than some deity's "Plan", and that the existence of god should be based on evidence rather than unsubstantiated centuries-old stories.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Irish Referendum on 12:59 - May 26 with 2002 viewsBoston

Irish Referendum on 01:20 - May 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

Mate, you are odd.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 1:23]

I am, oddly enough.

Therefore I recognize the oddness of you not realizing you’d been in discourse with mainly middle aged men all these years.

Abortion. Not a subject I’ve ever had the opportunity to vote on. Pushed to outline my thoughts, I find the whole subject extremely distressing, would abstain unless forced (Mrs Boston is a yes), to go with the aye camp, but have reservations about the procedures use as a contraceptive service.

I’m averse to taxpayers having to cover the costs, except in extreme circumstances.

Have a number of family members in the medical profession, barring my wife they are all opposed to its legality.

Men involved in the debate. Why not, are women precluded from having opinions on medical procedures that affect the male population? Are’nt all / the overwhelming majority of surgeons who perform this operation men?

It’s not a subject I dwell on.

Irish Referendum on 13:12 - May 26 with 1975 viewsisawqpratwcity

An abortion is not usually an onerous surgical procedure, and doesn't even have to be that.

"There are two types of pregnancy terminations available: medical abortions and surgical abortions.

A medical abortion involves taking two pills, mifepristone (also known as RU486 or the "abortion pill") and misoprostol, over a two-day period. In most Australian states, this can be done in a woman's own home.

Medical abortions can generally be performed up to nine weeks into gestation (sometimes longer in hospitals), and have been shown to be highly effective and safe.

A surgical abortion is a low-risk medical procedure that involves removing the lining and contents of the uterus using a gentle suction.

It is most commonly used for first trimester abortion (seven to 12 weeks), but may be performed in the second trimester (12 to 24 weeks) or, in rare circumstances, in the third trimester (24 to 36 weeks)."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2018-05-26/is-abortion-legal-in-australia/9795
[Post edited 26 May 2018 13:14]

Irish Referendum on 13:15 - May 26 with 1961 views18StoneOfHoop

Irish Referendum on 12:59 - May 26 by Boston

I am, oddly enough.

Therefore I recognize the oddness of you not realizing you’d been in discourse with mainly middle aged men all these years.

Abortion. Not a subject I’ve ever had the opportunity to vote on. Pushed to outline my thoughts, I find the whole subject extremely distressing, would abstain unless forced (Mrs Boston is a yes), to go with the aye camp, but have reservations about the procedures use as a contraceptive service.

I’m averse to taxpayers having to cover the costs, except in extreme circumstances.

Have a number of family members in the medical profession, barring my wife they are all opposed to its legality.

Men involved in the debate. Why not, are women precluded from having opinions on medical procedures that affect the male population? Are’nt all / the overwhelming majority of surgeons who perform this operation men?

It’s not a subject I dwell on.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Irish Referendum on 13:54 - May 26 with 1916 viewsBoston

Irish Referendum on 13:15 - May 26 by 18StoneOfHoop

I’m allowed to go shopping on Sundays.

Irish Referendum on 14:11 - May 26 with 1898 viewsTacticalR

Middle-aged men. As Trump would say: 'some, I assume, are good people'.

Air hostess clique

Irish Referendum on 15:24 - May 26 with 1833 viewsloftboy

Prove it!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Irish Referendum on 15:33 - May 26 with 1820 views2Thomas2Bowles

Irish Referendum on 15:24 - May 26 by loftboy

Prove it!

I believe QPR will win the play off and the CL today

I don't care what you think. you just don't have my faith

You do have to die to share and see this truth.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 15:36]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Irish Referendum on 15:57 - May 26 with 1785 viewsisawqpratwcity

Irish Referendum on 15:24 - May 26 by loftboy

Prove it!

He doesn't have to: it is something he says he has experienced and, presumably, you haven't. What matters is not infringing each other's freedom as much as possible.

Just be glad that religious dogmas that have shaped our laws for so long are now being challenged and put to popular vote.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024